47 days ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 days ago by Dmod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you be interested in a BLUE Stern/Bally/Williams LED DMD (vote for as many as you'd like)”

• Yes, at $250 0 votes
    • Yes, at $200 2 votes
      10%
    • Yes, at $175 3 votes
      14%
    • Yes, at $150 9 votes
      43%
    • No thanks, I'm good! 7 votes
      33%

(Multiple choice - 21 votes by 16 Pinsiders)

#1 47 days ago

I have a source that is willing to make modern LED DMD 5v panels in blue leds. These would be identical in terms of connections to the common amber/red DMD panels, but in the rare blue color that was only used on a few games (Tron LE, Avatar LE?), but I think would look awesome on quite a few other titles. These Stern panels can be had currently for the tune of $450+, at which point it would be smarter to buy a ColorDMD by a long shot.

I'm just looking for a single color solution to a handful of games that I think this would look badass on (like Star Trek) and wanted to see if there was other interest. Price would depend on quantity of course, hence the poll options. For games that use the original high voltage plasma displays, I'd be OK with making adapters.

Poll listed, but feel free to comment. This is just a feeler to see if there's a wider interest than just having a handful made for my own collection.

#2 47 days ago

No poll showing, but yes I would if the price was closer to regular amber/red replacement than color DMD.

#3 47 days ago
    Quoted from fathom:

No poll showing, but yes I would if the price was closer to regular amber/red replacement than color DMD.

Not sure why it didn't take. But there you go!

#4 47 days ago

Isn't there already a solution? Isn't the result the same if you use a white replacement with blue cover panel?

#5 47 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Isn't there already a solution? Isn't the result the same if you use a white replacement with blue cover panel?

Source and link?? I'm not opposed to an alternative plug-n-play solution like I said in my OP, but my Internet search came up empty. Also, has anyone done a side-by-side of the Tron LE (as an example) using the Stern manufactured part and a white panel w/ a blue cover panel (assuming such a thing exists)?

#6 47 days ago

Wouldn't it be cheaper to do it in white then put a blue gel in front of it?

#7 47 days ago

XPin has white DMD.

https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd4096hv/

Not sure if someone already sells a blue panel, but if anyone needs any custom-colored panel, I can make them for $20. I already make this contrast-improving one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/71871

#8 47 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

XPin has white DMD.
    https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd4096hv/
    Not sure if someone already sells a blue panel, but if anyone needs any custom-colored panel, I can make them for $20. I already make this contrast-improving one:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/71871

Appreciate the suggestion, but this is not only expensive, it doesn't work. The Xpin panels are high voltage (hence the HV) in the name. These do not work in modern Sterns. Any LOW voltage panel can work in any game.

#9 47 days ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to do it in white then put a blue gel in front of it?

The quote wasn't any different for me, so there would be a cost to put a filter in front of it (presumably $20 + shipping per above on HighVoltage's post). I'm not aware of a source of low voltage plug n play white panels. If you are, please send the link along!

#11 47 days ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

The quote wasn't any different for me, so there would be a cost to put a filter in front of it (presumably $20 + shipping per above on HighVoltage's post). I'm not aware of a source of low voltage plug n play white panels. If you are, please send the link along!

I see.

#12 47 days ago

Seems like ColorDMD has all but killed any interest in monochrome displays. Most people would probably just buy a ColorDMD, run it in single color, and wait for the full color ROM release. I know a few guys doing that.

#13 47 days ago
    Quoted from Aquapin:

https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd4096lv/
    They make both high and low voltage options.

Yes, and looks like if you choose the white one, "Ships with Grey, Red, Green & Blue Vinyl Gels", so no need for anything else.

#14 47 days ago

Ok so there is a solution out there at $300, which I'd probably spend the extra and get a colordmd at that point. So now that we know that, the poll becomes a price point. How many is Xpin selling at 300 and what price would be attractive as an in lieu of xpin or colordmd?

#15 46 days ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

in the rare blue color that was only used on a few games (Tron LE, Avatar LE?), but I think would look awesome on quite a few other titles.

To my knowledge, Stern never released a game with a blue DMD. They have always been an after-market add-on.

Blue DMDs look cool in photos but many people have trouble focusing on blue LED light and find them uncomfortable to look at. Prescription glasses often include blue blockers to reduce eyestrain. YMMV.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 19.95
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.99
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 15.00
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.95
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside