(Topic ID: 189106)

Interest in a small upstate NY show? (August 12th, Location Announced!)

By ForceFlow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Small, local upstate NY show?”

• Yes! I would even like to help! 8 votes
      21%
    • I am so there! 10 votes
      26%
    • I may think about going if it actually happens. 10 votes
      26%
    • Nah, I'm busy with other stuff around that time. 6 votes
      16%
    • Nah, I've had my fill of pinball around this time of the year. 2 votes
      5%
    • Other comments 2 votes
      5%

(38 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170506100431376 (resized).jpg
    20170506212251907 (resized).jpg
    20170506092311505 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3736 (resized).PNG
    18446985_10155147907020821_5020547520032363079_n (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

12 August is a great date for me too.

Does the facility have its own parking? If not, parking is going to be a major issue even if it's not a big track day.

#52 6 years ago

Yes, there is big parking lot.

#53 6 years ago

Ok, I've been talking with various people at the facility (in Saratoga Springs, NY) today about logistics and power requirements, and hopefully next week I should know more specifically what needs to happen to accommodate up to 50 games for this year and have a general layout for cabling things up.

So, August 12th has been tentatively blocked off as the event date. Probably 8am-11am setup, and a show time from 11am to 9pm (or possibly 10pm, depending on when everyone has to be out of the building).

So far, the people at the facility seem very excited about seeing a show like this.

There will also be space available for flea market tables indoors, if anyone wants to do that (for a small to-be-determined fee), that would be available.

As I mentioned above, there will be plenty of parking, and there will also be a separate area for loading/unloading directly into the space, which will be able to accommodate trailers.

Once I firm up the details for the facility, I'll announce the specific location, and put up a game registration form. Obviously there wouldn't be much of a show without people bringing games, and I'd like to give everyone as much advance notice as possible in order to prepare.

The target number is 30-50 games, however, if I can't get commitments for that number of games, it will not be worthwhile to hold the show. With the number of collectors in the vicinity and a small show basically happening in our backyard, I'm hoping there will be no problem being able to reach that number. If by some chance there ends up being a few more than 50 games that end up at the show, there should be overflow space available.

#54 6 years ago

This sounds great! I'll bring a couple of EMs. Keep us updated on developments. I'll see you at Pintastic. Would love to talk further about this event.

#55 6 years ago

Not sure if we'll be going or not but will make every efforts. We're 90 mins from Albany and I'm not sure how much further Saratoga is. What's the name of the show? Maybe it could be something like "Catskills pinball meet and great".

#56 6 years ago

Umm unfortunately I might have to take that back . Saratoga springs is 2.5 hrs away and I thought it was a lot closer. Seems to be more in the adirondacks than the Catskills. If it were to be in Albany or south than I'd be in. But to be honest (nothing against the show which I'm all for) I don't think it would be 110% worth it for me for 30-50 pins when I'm just 1.75 hrs from Allentown.
    But good luck!

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

This sounds great! I'll bring a couple of EMs. Keep us updated on developments. I'll see you at Pintastic. Would love to talk further about this event.

I'd be glad to see you and the games you end up bringing

As soon as I have more info, I will be glad to share it. I just want to be absolutely sure about being able to use the location before announcing it so as not to confuse anyone if a change needs to be made later. If everything falls into place, I'm hoping I'll know sometime later next week.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

What's the name of the show? Maybe it could be something like "Catskills pinball meet and great".

I was thinking just on using "Saratoga Pinball Show". I figure it's better to keep it simple and self-explanatory rather than try to get clever with something.

Quoted from Schnollms:

Seems to be more in the adirondacks than the Catskills.

Yep, Saratoga Springs is within the Adirondacks. It's about 30-40 minutes north of Albany.

If you can make it, I'd be glad to see you there--the more the merrier. If not, no worries. Thanks for your support and enthusiasm

#59 6 years ago

One thing I could use some help and ideas on--the space does not have carpeted floor.

I know Ivan put down rolls of carpet the last couple years at Pinfest, which was a nice improvement. Does anyone happen to know where I might be able to find something like that or what it's specifically called?

20170506092311505 (resized).jpg20170506092311505 (resized).jpg

20170506212251907 (resized).jpg20170506212251907 (resized).jpg
    20170506100431376 (resized).jpg20170506100431376 (resized).jpg

#60 6 years ago

Runners? I don't think they were used when the Heins ran the show on the other side of the building, nor were they used at York at least as far as I recall. The games do tend to slide rather easily on the bare floor. Maybe suggest everyone put the rubber "booties" on their pinball feet before setting them up. The carpeting also does quite a bit to absorb excess sound, which is nice. Maybe there's a place that rents these?

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Runners? I don't think they were used when the Heins ran the show on the other side of the building, nor were they used at York at least as far as I recall. The games do tend to slide rather easily on the bare floor. Maybe suggest everyone put the rubber "booties" on their pinball feet before setting them up. The carpeting also does quite a bit to absorb excess sound, which is nice. Maybe there's a place that rents these?

Ivan has only used them twice so far, so it's a recent (but very welcome) addition. I may give him a holler and see if he has some info on them, or if it's just something the fairgrounds provided.

I think it's probably a little unrealistic to request that everyone brings rubber castors. I don't even have any.

#62 6 years ago

Well, it's official. I am pleased to announce that we have a location!

Saratoga Regional YMCA at 290 West Ave Saratoga Springs, NY

https://goo.gl/maps/cy2Fr67MvNz

The show will be held on Saturday, August 12th.

Setup will be 8AM to 11AM.

The doors will open to the public at 11AM. Closing time will be 9PM. (If this closing time proves to be too early and deters people form bringing games, I can try to negotiate for an hour later, as long as I have several people saying they will stay until the end).

Event breakdown will be from 9PM until 11PM.

There will be a cap of 50 games for this year. Depending on how this event goes, we may scale it up a bit if we have it again next year.

There will be vendor and flea market space available for a very reasonable cost, which will include tables and folding chairs at no extra charge.

A website with info and registration forms for games and vendor & flea market spaces will follow shortly. It will also have a map of the grounds showing where to go for loading/unloading (the satellite view on google is a little out of date).

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/saratoga-pinball-show-2017

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think it's probably a little unrealistic to request that everyone brings rubber castors. I don't even have any.

They're just little dished rubber cups that go over the metal feet. They're widely available because they are primarily used to protect wood floors or keep games from sliding on hard, bare surfaces such as wooden or tile floors. I have enough for a few games.
    Great news on the new show. I'll help spread the word to those outside of Pinside.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

They're just little dished rubber cups that go over the metal feet. They're widely available because they are primarily used to protect wood floors or keep games from sliding on hard, bare surfaces such as wooden or tile floors. I have enough for a few games.

Oh, I have some plastic ones. Got them at a hardware store. I'll have to check the next time I'm in there to see if they have rubber ones.

Quoted from jrpinball:

Great news on the new show. I'll help spread the word to those outside of Pinside.

Great, thanks!

Once I have a website ready to go, I'll be posting it in some of the usual spots (RGP, KLOV, pinballnews.com)

#65 6 years ago

Excellent news @forceflow!

I may wait to move my #golden nugget from the garage to the basement so I can bring it with me.

As I mentioned initially, happy to help in any way I can... just keep me posted on what you need.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Oh, I have some plastic ones. Got them at a hardware store. I'll have to check the next time I'm in there to see if they have rubber ones.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564

#68 6 years ago

lake George would be cool !

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from rockfantasyman:

lake George would be cool !

Too wet!

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

This location is a bit outside of town, but it's clear on possible costs, requirements, and restrictions for a space:
    https://wiltonfiredept.org/hall-rental/

You lost me at ALCOHLIC BEVERAGES NOT ALLOWED ON PREMISES

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

You lost me at ALCOHLIC BEVERAGES NOT ALLOWED ON PREMISES

A common rule for venues and facilities, unfortunately.

However, there is a lively night scene in downtown Saratoga, just 5 minutes away from where the show is going to be held.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A common rule for venues and facilities, unfortunately.
    However, there is a lively night scene in downtown Saratoga, just 5 minutes away from where the show is going to be held.

I'll chat with you at Pintastic JR will point you out to me. Tough one because I'm 3 hours away would love for Mopar to show up.

#73 6 years ago

Count me in for 1 game at least!

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

would love for Mopar to show up.

I think a Show coming back to N.Y. is a huge plus and would love to be there Bryan, but
    unfortunately there's two separate events in August that's been planned as far back as
    last Fall and I believe one of them is on the 12th..
    There's many true collectors in the area and I'm sure the Show will be a pleasant success,
    and if it carries on to next year, I'll look forward to coming..
    I am hoping quite a few sharing pics are takin'. I really enjoy checking them out.. (T)

1 week later
    #76 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, it's official. I am pleased to announce that we have a location!
    Saratoga Regional YMCA at 290 West Ave Saratoga Springs, NY
    https://goo.gl/maps/cy2Fr67MvNz
    The show will be held on Saturday, August 12th.

This is fantastic news!! I'm back from oblivion and the first thing I see is a homegrown pinball meet only a few minutes down the road from me!! This is fantastic news!!

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is fantastic news!! I'm back from oblivion and the first thing I see is a homegrown pinball meet only a few minutes down the road from me!! This is fantastic news!!

The pinball gods are smiling on you!

3 weeks later
    #78 6 years ago

FF,

Crap on a cracker. August 12th I have legal obligations on my mom's estate . Didn't meet you in Sturbridge but maybe I'll catch you in York ?

DQ74

#79 6 years ago

Sorry to hear that

Unfortunately, I have yet to attend the York show because of how far away it is for me.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-in-a-small-upstate-ny-show/page/2?hl=schnollms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.