(Topic ID: 189106)

Interest in a small upstate NY show? (August 12th, Location Announced!)

By ForceFlow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Small, local upstate NY show?”

• Yes! I would even like to help! 8 votes
      21%
    • I am so there! 10 votes
      26%
    • I may think about going if it actually happens. 10 votes
      26%
    • Nah, I'm busy with other stuff around that time. 6 votes
      16%
    • Nah, I've had my fill of pinball around this time of the year. 2 votes
      5%
    • Other comments 2 votes
      5%

(38 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170506100431376 (resized).jpg
    20170506212251907 (resized).jpg
    20170506092311505 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3736 (resized).PNG
    18446985_10155147907020821_5020547520032363079_n (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #62 Location announced! Posted by ForceFlow (6 years ago)

Post #74 official show announcement thread Posted by ForceFlow (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

The idea of a small show in upstate NY has come up several times in conversations I've had with various people in the past few months.

Basically, there is no significant location play in this area, so pretty much the only options are personal collections, Allentown, Pintastic, York, and the JJP open house.

Looking at the calendar a bit, it seems like the first and second weekends of June seem to be open--scheduled far enough away from the other shows in the northeast, and far enough away from school graduations.

I was thinking around 30-50 games would be a good number of games for a small, local 1-day show. It could possibly be hosted in Lake George (the forum, various hotel spaces), Glens Falls (civic center, hotel spaces, YMCA, SUNY Adirondack), Saratoga Springs (city center, various hotel spaces, YMCA, Skidmore College, Franklin community center, VFW), Ballston Spa (Saratoga Fair Grounds, VFW) or Albany.

All have various venues and spaces which could potentially be used, and have fairly easy access from the Northway (I-87). There would need to be some research done on the available spaces, costs, insurance requirements, electrical needs, ease of loading in games, room lighting, and various other odds & ends.

I imagine the show rules would more or less follow what the other established shows have set forth--however, this would not be designed to replace the other northeast shows or to draw folks from more than an hour or so away. So, basically, bring a game, get in for free. Possibly use it as a small swap meet as well. Reasonable admission fee for the public to help cover the cost of renting the venue/space and liability insurance.

I don't imagine there would be enough planning time for this year, so possibly next year if there is enough interest. Thoughts?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

[edit]: It looks like the second weekend in June might be the better option, considering the memorial day holiday and a new show in Ontario happening on the first weekend of June.

#2 6 years ago

Would there be enough parking for the Booze Bus?

18446985_10155147907020821_5020547520032363079_n (resized).jpg18446985_10155147907020821_5020547520032363079_n (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

As long it doesn't interfere with another show or tournament (or real life, I guess), I'd be into it. Those locations are all just 2 to 3 hours from me.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

As long it doesn't interfere with another show or tournament (or real life, I guess), I'd be into it. Those locations are all just 2 to 3 hours from me.

Right, if this is going to interfere with other things, then there's no point.

I just thought I would toss the idea out there since it's been brought up several times with me.

#5 6 years ago

In-laws and other members of the wife's family live in Utica... I'd gladly plan a weekend in Utica with a side excursion to Albany or the like, while my wife enjoys her family!

#6 6 years ago

I would be in. What time of year are you thinking? In Saratoga in the summer when the track is open (mid-July through Labor Day) would be sweet!

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

I would be in. What time of year are you thinking? In Saratoga in the summer when the track is open (mid-July through Labor Day) would be sweet!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

it seems like the first and second weekends of June seem to be open

Looks like the race track opens July 21st.

http://www.saratogaracetrack.com/event/saratoga-race-track-opening-day-35726/

http://www.saratogaracetrack.com/schedule/

#8 6 years ago

I'd bring some games.

Question is, how many people would be paying entrance fee and coming in vs people who bring games in order to justify the rent costs? Idk what it's cost to get a space but...

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Question is, how many people would be paying entrance fee and coming in vs people who bring games in order to justify the rent costs? Idk what it's cost to get a space but...

That's something that would need to be figured out after researching the spaces.

I imagine advertising would also need to be done around town--newspaper ad, fliers on community boards, some road signs, etc.

If the show was held in an established community space, rather than a civic/city center or hotel, I imagine there would be more foot traffic.

#10 6 years ago

Almost forgot about memorial day--it falls on the last Monday in May.

So, the first week in June (following Memorial day) might not be a good weekend. Thoughts?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Almost forgot about memorial day--it falls on the last Monday in May.
    So, the first week in June (following Memorial day) might not be a good weekend. Thoughts?

http://www.canadapincon.com/

#12 6 years ago

Do it close to rochester or buff and I'm in and would help please we need a local show again the armory show used to be great!!!!dome center in Henrietta too

#13 6 years ago

I wasn't aware of that one. Thanks for pointing it out. Does anyone in the northeast travel to that one? Or is it basically a Canadian-focused event?

Quoted from Snowyetti:

Do it close to rochester or buff and I'm in and would help please we need a local show again the armory show used to be great!!!!dome center in Henrietta too

I'm not too keen on doing something on the western side of the state. Simply because it wouldn't be a local show for me anymore, and I have no potential venue connections over there.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I wasn't aware of that one. Thanks for pointing it out. Does anyone in the northeast travel to that one? Or is it basically a Canadian-focused event?

This year's will be the first one.

I'll be going. Only 3 hours from me!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

This year's will be the first one.
    I'll be going. Only 3 hours from me!

Cool, hope it goes well

#16 6 years ago

Yeah I hear ya Albany is like driving to Allen town for me 4-5 hours o well worth a shot

#17 6 years ago

I would check with your local Fire Halls - some of those places can be rented fairly cheap - money is going to a good cause - some are already set up to do the food and if you find a couple guys from the fire hall into pinball rent might get even better. A few years back I did an auction and the hall rent for 3 days was something like $400. That was like 15 years ago and we were not using a lot of electric but it was also hall rental for 3 days. (When doing an auction typically you set up one day, second day is preview and last day was the actual sale.

Depending on location - my schedule - etc I would be more than happy to bring a load of parts or project machines up as a vendor for you as long as I can find the time.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I would check with your local Fire Halls - some of those places can be rented fairly cheap - money is going to a good cause - some are already set up to do the food and if you find a couple guys from the fire hall into pinball rent might get even better. I few years back I did an auction and the hall rent for 3 days was something like $400. That was like 15 years ago and we were not using a lot of electric but it was also hall rental for 3 days. (When doing an auction typically you set up one day, second day is preview and last day was the actual sale.
    Depending on location - my schedule - etc I would be more than happy to bring a load of parts or project machines up as a vendor for you as long as I can find the time.

Good suggestion! There's 2-3 fire houses in Ballston Spa and Saratoga that do occasional events, fish frys, or host polling places on election days.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Good suggestion! There's 2-3 fire houses in Ballston Spa and Saratoga that do occasional events, fish frys, or host polling places on election days.

What I like about VFW, Fire House, or other places like that is money is going to a good cause. Renting commercial space from a Hotel, Civic Center, and Fairground is basically making someone money but that money isn't really necessarily doing any good for the community in general. Fire House, VFW, or even a Church Social Hall is money going back into the community plus rent is typically much cheaper and leases have a lot less rules.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Snowyetti:

Yeah I hear ya Albany is like driving to Allen town for me 4-5 hours o well worth a shot

We used to have one in Rochester and we don't now, doesn't seem the best to try same thing again :/

#21 6 years ago

IMG_3736 (resized).PNGIMG_3736 (resized).PNG

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

We used to have one in Rochester and we don't now, doesn't seem the best to try same thing again :/

It was a long time ago last one I could have bought a taf for 2000 Fh was a grand I thought they were crazy but times have changed lot more pin heads plus social media to hype show.they also did it at the mall and had severe power issues like machines not working due to low voltage/resetting constantly.either way it was still awesome to have one so close good luck forceflow and always remember your power needs when finding your venue lol

#23 6 years ago

I'm on the board at the University Club in Albany. We could certainly host. We'd have to talk about power requirements and such to make sure that we could meet the needs. And of course... there is a bar.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

I'm on the board at the University Club in Albany. We could certainly host. We'd have to talk about power requirements and such to make sure that we could meet the needs. And of course... there is a bar.

Thanks for bringing it up.

From the website, I get the impression it's a semi-private club. Would they allow the event to be open to the public?

I'll have to work up some figures on power requirements and needs for square footage.

#25 6 years ago

I vote for the Fairgrounds suggestion, I wont even need to bring my pins to the show, I can just cut a hole in the fence and open my side door!

Seriously though, the Saratoga City Center would probably be a great venue. I'd bring some pins for sure.

#26 6 years ago

I'd go to a show in the Albany area.

And I loved the Rochester Gameroom Show the last year they had it... only wish that wasn't the first year we went...

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Would they allow the event to be open to the public?

It's just like an Elks Lodge or the Lions Club. Events can be open to the public as long as a member (me) sponsors it.

We definitally have the square footage. We'd have to talk to the house manager to determine if we can meet the power requirements.

#28 6 years ago

From my experience, you will always have people asking for more, more, more no matter how you set the expectations. I bet the Buffalo crew can tell you some helpful things.

How about associating with an existing gamer-con? I know there is one at RPI in Troy and something in Albany. Then you are just supplementing an established event and can synergize with them.
    .................David Marston

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I bet the Buffalo crew can tell you some helpful things.

about?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Seriously though, the Saratoga City Center would probably be a great venue. I'd bring some pins for sure.

It would, but I'm thinking it might be too large/expensive of a space for a show of this size. If it were a 200-300 game show, maybe it would be a more appropriate venue.

Quoted from dmarston:

From my experience, you will always have people asking for more, more, more no matter how you set the expectations.

Well, I would hope with a smaller show, that participants would be reasonably local and not driving from 10 hours away, so the expectations would be a bit more relaxed.

The idea would be to set up some games in the morning, have some fun for the day, break 'em back down sometime late in the evening, and then go back home.

Quoted from dmarston:

I bet the Buffalo crew can tell you some helpful things.

I would be glad to hear any advice or tips on running a pin show.

Quoted from dmarston:

How about associating with an existing gamer-con? I know there is one at RPI in Troy and something in Albany. Then you are just supplementing an established event and can synergize with them.

Interesting idea. I'd like to have a solid count of people willing to bring games before approaching another show about a marvel team-up, though. It would be a little silly to propose something and then have nobody show up.

#32 6 years ago

Another idea is to partner with an existing show with overlapping interest. It's too late for this year, but Albany Comic Con is in June. Here's a comprehensive list of cons in upstate New York.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/things-to-do/2017/03/upstate_ny_2017_comic_cons_giant_list_of_cons_expos_and_shows_across_the_region.html

#33 6 years ago

Before signing a lease agreement I would be sure to check on insurance and other things that might come back to bit you in the ass. I am sure Rich (White Rose Gameroom Show), Ivan (Pinfest) and Gabe (Pintastic) would all be helpful assets to talk with. All three of those guys are good people and I am sure all would be willing to give you plenty of advice.

As far as cost goes I think the venue will likely be your biggest cost, then advertising, and lastly insurance. You can't do something like this and just depend on word of mouth or places like Pinside & RGP to draw enough people. You will need at least some advertising to get some general public to attend.

#34 6 years ago

Yeah I think it's a good idea but you have to get closer to Syracuse in my opinion that would get people to drive from Buffalo and Rochester Albany is too far away for someone like me ... But I have made 16 hour round trip drives for pinball machines...... I would definitely like to help out and I would bring a machine.... And maybe some good hot and barbecue chicken wings.....

#35 6 years ago

I'd be interested if within 3 hours of nyc

#36 6 years ago

Count me in. I don't know if I'll bring games or not, but I'll certainly help pull it together-- just let me know what you need.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Geddy2112:

Yeah I think it's a good idea but you have to get closer to Syracuse in my opinion that would get people to drive from Buffalo and Rochester Albany is too far away for someone like me ... But I have made 16 hour round trip drives for pinball machines...... I would definitely like to help out and I would bring a machine.... And maybe some good hot and barbecue chicken wings.....

Quoted from pinaholic:

I'd be interested if within 3 hours of nyc

I think if you are going to consider doing a show it needs to be very close to home for you. Yes - you might get a better turnout in different areas of the state but trying to pull something like this off is hard enough close to home let alone having to set things up 2 or 3 hours away from home. The nice thing about your area is it is fairly close to Canada and if those buyers come down for Pinfest I am sure some of them would surely drive down for something closer to Canada.

As other above have stated - I would be more than happy to help any way I can.

One quick suggestion - maybe something like a Kickstarter drive to get some funds to cover overhead would be a good starting point. The nice thing with that is you could give "free tickets" to anyone donating over $XXX and that might assure you at least covered some of your cost getting it underway. Instead of renting out spaces for vendors maybe $100 donation gets you a 10x10 vendor space, $15 donation (one ticket), $25 (two tickets) etc.

#38 6 years ago

I'm very interested in seeing something like this happen in this area... let me know how I can help out

#39 6 years ago

I certainly would be interested in a more local show depending on whats going on when it's scheduled. The Albany/Saratoga location isn't to bad (perhaps somewhere close to The Parting Glass). Keep us updated.

#40 6 years ago

This location is a bit outside of town, but it's clear on possible costs, requirements, and restrictions for a space:

https://wiltonfiredept.org/hall-rental/

#41 6 years ago

There are a couple of pretty good locations within the City of Albany as well. There's an Elks club that comes to mind in particular:
    https://www.elks.org/lodges/home.cfm?LodgeNumber=0049 - within 10 minutes of 87, 787, and 90... several restaurants within walking distance, 5 minute drive to a couple of hotels.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

This location is a bit outside of town, but it's clear on possible costs, requirements, and restrictions for a space:
    https://wiltonfiredept.org/hall-rental/

Even if ur just looking for 30-50 pins I think that hall is too small. I'd check out RPI in Troy- just my opinion.
    Anyway about the show in general, I wouldn't travel any further than Albany/Troy since that's already a 2 hour ride for a show that would offer 30-50 pins and I'm only 90 minutes from a show that offers 300 pins (Allentown)

#43 6 years ago

How about the Poughkeepsie civic center? It's an hour from where I live.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Even if ur just looking for 30-50 pins I think that hall is too small.

It was one of the few websites that was up-front about rental expenses and requirements and whatnot, which gave an idea of what to possibly expect. But you're right, it wouldn't be an ideal space.

Quoted from Schnollms:

How about the Poughkeepsie civic center? It's an hour from where I live.

Too far for me. And a civic center would probably be too big.

Quoted from Schnollms:

I'd check out RPI in Troy- just my opinion

I don't have any connections there, unfortunately. Are there any details on event spaces other than this link?

http://empac.rpi.edu/building/venue-rental

Quoted from Schnollms:

I wouldn't travel any further than Albany/Troy since that's already a 2 hour ride for a show that would offer 30-50 pins and I'm only 90 minutes from a show that offers 300 pins (Allentown)

I would prefer to not to stray too far outside of the Saratoga/Albany area. Like I said in the OP, the idea is for it to be a small, local show. It probably wouldn't be worthwhile for someone 2+ hours away.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It was one of the few websites that was up-front about rental expenses and requirements and whatnot, which gave an idea of what to possibly expect. But you're right, it wouldn't be an ideal space.

#46 6 years ago

One thing to remember with Fire Halls is some of the banquet rooms are on the second floor of buildings. My first instinct would be to just go for a ride around your local area and see if anything jumps out at you as a possibility. Also talk to family & friends for ideas about places local to you.

Regardless of what location you pick 25% to 50% of people responding to you will complain it is too far for them and something in ___ ____ would be a better area. If you are going to do it you need to do it in the area best for you.

Also - if you go to your local police station, municipal building, etc they might have suggestions for you. Get out and talk to local people "in the know" and see what you can find close to home. A few hours off-line doing some actual research in your area might be time well spent instead of trying to find something online. If I was in your shoes I would try your local fire house first and see if those guys have any suggestions.

Also be sure to think "outside the box" - as long as you find a place with decent parking, electric, and rent you should be OK. Electric would be my first concern since you will need decent electrical service to run 40 to 50 machines. (At least a dozen, or so, 20 amp service lines and not all venues have that kind of electric available).

2 weeks later
    #47 6 years ago

Good news, I got a soft thumbs up from a facility in Saratoga and the proceeds would go to charity. Ground floor, easy access, and double doors on the entrance.

One catch is that a June show wouldn't be able to happen at this location because of other special events, but pretty much anytime else during the year is fine. How does an August date sound? Replay FX is July 27-30 in PA and the JJP open house could be end of August or early September, so I'd want to try to avoid overlapping with those.

I still need to verify that the electrical needs would be ok. I *think* it should work, though.

The other thing is that depending on the space that will be used, the floor is either tile or wood, so a rolls of carpet for the games would probably need to be put down to prevent the floors from getting damaged by leg levelers.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Good news, I got a soft thumbs up from a facility in Saratoga and the proceeds would go to charity. Ground floor, easy access, and double doors on the entrance.
    One catch is that a June show wouldn't be able to happen at this location because of other special events, but pretty much anytime else during the year is fine. How does an August date sound? Replay FX is July 27-30 in PA and the JJP open house could be end of August or early September, so I'd want to try to avoid overlapping with those.
    I still need to verify that the electrical needs would be ok. I *think* it should work, though.
    The other thing is that depending on the space that will be used, the floor is either tile or wood, so a rolls of carpet for the games would probably need to be put down to prevent the floors from getting damaged by leg levelers.

What's the location?

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

What's the location?

Once I'm completely sure about being able to supply the necessary electric, I'll probably reveal it in a couple days.

Looking at the calendar, does Saturday August 12th seem like a good weekend? If it gets pushed ahead another week, I'm concerned it might start interfering with the start of school/college.

Also, the race track was mentioned earlier, and by August, it is in full swing. However, it won't be a major race weekend, so it shouldn't be too crowded.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#50 6 years ago

The 12th is the best August weekend for me. The 19th is the Buffalo Summer Open, and the 26th is the New England Pinball League finals.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-in-a-small-upstate-ny-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.