(Topic ID: 17303)

Interest in a pinball league in the Kentuckiana area? (Louisville/Southern IN)

By treborlicec

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by treborlicec
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Any collectors or players in my region interested in getting a weekly or biweekly league together? I want to improve my skills and get to know locals better. I'm not certain how a league would work. I figure we could go to locations, or each others gamerooms. Mix it up each session. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone with a pinball league experience want to chime in and let us know how one should be ran? Thanks in advance.

Robert (RC)

#2 7 years ago

Goodluck with the league! Would also be interested in how a competition league rules/points system works?

#3 7 years ago

I would! Bi-weekly.

#4 7 years ago

I'm far too busy to join a league, but if you guys had one in a way that I could occasionally make an event, I'd participate occasionally.

#5 7 years ago

I take it you don't live right off of Preston anymore, Robert?

#6 7 years ago

I'm pretty busy with work and coaching every sport known to man, but would love to participate when possible. Great idea!!!

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I take it you don't live right off of Preston anymore, Robert?

Nope. I'm a hoosier now. Just 15 minutes north of where I used to live. When we were looking to build a new home, we saved a ton moving across the bridge. We both still work in Louisville though. Maybe we could do a monthly event instead of a league. I just wanna be able to meet you guys/gals and improve our skills. You get better by playing with other people that are better than you.

#8 7 years ago

a monthly event would be even better!

#9 7 years ago

Very interested. I just reconnected with my pinball past at the Retro Arcade Expo back in March. I'll check back to see if you guys get something together.

#10 7 years ago

There is a pinball tournament at Zanzibar on Tuesday nights. You guys should head up there sometime. I believe it is every week.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

There is a pinball tournament at Zanzibar on Tuesday nights. You guys should head up there sometime. I believe it is every week.

I am gonna make up there one night,But usually that will be to late for me.

#12 7 years ago

I'd definitely be interested in a monthly league.

I may have to try and get down to Zanzibar at some point. Unfortunately, its about an hour drive, depending on traffic at the I65 bridge to L'ville.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

Any good competition there? I could'nt find info on entry fee or games on their site.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

Any good competition there? I could'nt find info on entry fee or games on their site.

Yep, great competition. I think it usually starts at about 10, it's a double elimination match play sort of thing, with names and machines being drawn from a hat/ bucket/ whatever.

#15 7 years ago

I'm in for a local monthly gathering...lots of excelent collectors and collections in the area, oh yeah I up for a get together at JasonPaulBauers house also(Save him some gas).....gotta love some TFLE and Spidey

#16 7 years ago

Not In KY or IN...but if you are just looking to get to know folks in your area, you could do what we did here in Cincy...we have a group (getting bigger and bigger all the time!! Had a party here on Sat. and had close to 50 people here!) we call Cincy Mid week pinball...we just do a get together once a month or so...and we just go to whom evers house who posts that they are having a get together. There are a few little tourneys for fun, sometimes for prizes, and sometimes just $1 a play winner takes pot sometimes no tourneys...but we have food, and drinks and friends and lots of PINBALL!! Lots of good times and fun getting to know everyone!! Make new friends and get to catch up with others...If your goal is to get to know folks in your area, this might be an option for you as well!!

Phoebe

#17 7 years ago

I play at the Zbar pretty much every week. There is definitely some good competition there but that doesn't guarantee anybody anything. There have been some weeks where a novice gets on a hot streak and takes home the kitty.

Of course, it's easy for me since I live down the block.

If you need an added incentive there's a Bally star trek and a Whodunnit going in this week. Target Alpha and Nuge are rotating out. As an added disincentive they've been insisting on adding the Atari video pinball to the mix which is straight bunk as far as I'm concerned.

As to any kind of pinball league/get togethers you can join the Louisville Pinball Facebook page. There's a guy on there who has been hosting pinball parties through Meetup.

#18 7 years ago

Oh, it's $5 for the tourney winner takes most, second gets 10 or 15, third usually gets their money back. Lineup is T2, Tommy, $6MM, pinbot, target alpha, Ted nugent. That will hopefully change tonight. There are usuall around 16 people playing.

#19 7 years ago

A monthly get together would be fun. I can get in on that as I'm going though withdrawals after the Louisville Arcade Expo.

#20 7 years ago

Sounds fun. I envy you guys if you get a league going. Btw we'd love to see some of the Louisville area crowd down at Game Galaxy Nashville for the next tournament

#21 7 years ago

I'd be in for a bi-weekly league or monthly event. If it were a league it could be submitted for IFPA sanctioning if it were to meet IFPA requirements. The top players would earn IFPA points towards the World Pinball Rankings. There are also several leagues around the country that might let you use their bylaws as a guide line for setting up the league. Anyone interested in organizing a league??? If I didn't work such odd hours I'd be happy to help organize a league, but my schedule just doesn't allow me to take on something of that magnitude...

A word of caution on ZBar though... If you go there JUST to play pinball, eat and have a few drinks like my wife and I do, check their calander first and make sure there isn't a concert going on. We went there a few Saturdays ago when a former member of Sonic Youth was performing and they wanted $18 a pop to get in. We were a little disappointed but certainly not discouraged.

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

#22 7 years ago

Sounds like get togethers would be easier. After I get AC/DC premium in, I'd be up for hosting the first of many. This is my 3rd pin. It is joining a BSD and TSPP. #4 should be coming along by the end of the year. I have plenty of arcade games as well to keep folks interested.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Btw we'd love to see some of the Louisville area crowd down at Game Galaxy Nashville for the next tournament

Give us some info or pm dates and time

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

After I get AC/DC premium in, I'd be up for hosting the first of many. This is my 3rd pin. It is joining a BSD and TSPP. #4 should be coming along by the end of the year. I have plenty of arcade games as well to keep folks interested.

I would be interested in hosting too,I only have SM and STTNG

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

treborlicec said:

After I get AC/DC premium in, I'd be up for hosting the first of many. This is my 3rd pin. It is joining a BSD and TSPP. #4 should be coming along by the end of the year. I have plenty of arcade games as well to keep folks interested.
    I would be interested in hosting too,I only have SM and STTNG

One could host a party with SM alone. It is the 2nd best Stern ever.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

One could host a party with SM alone. It is the 2nd best Stern ever. []

SM don't take second to anybody!
    I guess you can see I am a Steve Ritchie fan.

#27 7 years ago

Naturally. I'm in The Ville from 2005-2010 just DYING for some pinball, and soon as I move to a pinball wasteland, ya'll organize an Expo and a league. *sigh* But really, I hope y'all get things going! Wish I were back!

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

Sounds like get togethers would be easier. After I get AC/DC premium in, I'd be up for hosting the first of many. This is my 3rd pin. It is joining a BSD and TSPP. #4 should be coming along by the end of the year. I have plenty of arcade games as well to keep folks interested.

I agree, an actual league is a lot of work. I was reading the rules for the Chicago Pinball Mafia league online ( http://www.pinballmafia.net/pinball_rules_2012.pdf ) and it's not so much that the rules are that complicated, it would be having enough interest to start it and commitment from the players to keep it going and make it work. Their league is monthly too so that would make make it easier for everyone to plan ahead more so than bi-weekly... We could start with get togethers and see where it goes from there... Sounds like fun to me!!

#29 7 years ago

Yes. I've been reading up on them too and they would be a big time commitment. Let's try a get together where we have a couple of tournaments. Perhaps a bracket type and then maybe a one shot where you play one game of a certain machine and that's it. If folks want to bring a game to make the selection bigger, that is a possibility if folks are willing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 137.00
    $ 229.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside