(Topic ID: 148595)

Interest in a Denver / Front Range Team League?

By ryanwanger

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160116_202237201_(resized).jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I've been hearing a lot about the team leagues run in other areas (specifically, Monday Night Pinball in Seattle). You have 10 person teams, and each has a home bar. Half of the season you host another team at your bar, and the other half you travel to different bars to take on the home teams there.

You play a combination of singles and doubles matches, and there is strategy around who plays who (though everyone plays an equal number of matches). When people are absent, you have subs fill in...a good way to engage those who can't commit to a full season.

There are limitations on the strength of teams, so the best players have to spread out. Sounds like a great way to get beginning and new players involved. It's all about team/location pride, not WPPR points.

There are just around 100 (different) people who have played in the most recent league in Denver, Lyons, Boulder, and Fort Collins. Let's do this! We can work out a schedule that won't conflict with existing leagues.

Who's in? Post here, or PM me, even if you'd just want to be a sub once in a while. Currently just trying to gauge interest, but happy to take on organizing duties. I'm imagining 8 teams: a Lyons team, a Boulder team, a Fort Collins team, and 5 in Denver (spread between the 1ups and Cukoo's Nest). Maybe Colorado Springs too? 8 week season - play each team home and away.

What say you?

#2 8 years ago

My husband and I would definitely be interested. We're new to pinball, within the last year, and would love to meet more people who play. By the time I heard about the most recent league at 1Up all the slots were already filled. I was a bit bummed but it's also great to learn they're so many players around town!

#3 8 years ago

Keep me in the loop. I'd be in for the possibility of Castle Rock/Springs area team.

Lem

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from SnowGalvin:

My husband and I would definitely be interested. We're new to pinball, within the last year, and would love to meet more people who play. By the time I heard about the most recent league at 1Up all the slots were already filled. I was a bit bummed but it's also great to learn they're so many players around town!

Excellent!

Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Keep me in the loop. I'd be in for the possibility of Castle Rock/Springs area team.
    Lem

Do you guys have a good public venue to play in? How are the games at Stumpys?

#5 8 years ago

Have not been in stumpys in years, I'll go check it out. Foul line has Simpsons, its rough though. I'll check some other places as well.

#6 8 years ago

I'm in... It's a more complete implementation of the team concept we tried in the Boulder league, enabled by an increase in participants. I think locations would benefit from increased exposure, and a lot more players would get to meet in the process. It's also a welcoming format for new players.

#7 8 years ago

I'd definitely be interested. Let me know how this evolves. Love the Stumpy's idea, along with combining Colorado Springs, Monument, Castle Rock. I vote for playing on weekends, tough for me to travel on weekdays.

#8 8 years ago

the machines at stumpys are dialed in and play well. the operator had previously tried to hold a tournament either weekly or monthly, but nobody showed up at all for them.

have fun!

#9 8 years ago

I'd be interested - let me know........

#10 8 years ago

depending on times I am interested for sure!

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Have not been in stumpys in years, I'll go check it out. Foul line has Simpsons, its rough though. I'll check some other places as well.

In Seattle, a venue has to have 6 machines to host a team. Might be able to go to 4 or 5. But in either case, they need to be good playing machines.

#12 8 years ago

you should post a link to this thread in the Colorado fs/ft thread to get more views

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I'd definitely be interested. Let me know how this evolves. Love the Stumpy's idea, along with combining Colorado Springs, Monument, Castle Rock. I vote for playing on weekends, tough for me to travel on weekdays.

I second Russell . Week days are no good for a 60 to 90 minute commute from Colorado Springs . Saturday afternoon or night . I would be interested as a sub .Though I may flake out. Good Luck .

#14 8 years ago

I am interested also. I updated Stumpys machine list on Pinmap, with the exception of Firepower the games seemed to be in good condition.

#15 8 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely be polling people about availability...although I will say that weekends are tough for many reasons: it's when people go out of town, it's the time when public locations are already busiest, there are already 3 recurring monthly tournaments in Denver on Sundays, and all major local tournaments (when there are any) are held on the weekend (examples: Lyons Spring Classic, RMPS, Dory Hill, UPC, etc).

Nothing is set in stone yet!

#16 8 years ago

Also, if email is a good way to get in touch...please PM me your email address, since I'm probably going to go back through this thread and ask you via individual pms anyway.

#17 8 years ago

I'd be down. Also for weekends as I have a long travel from pueblo.

#18 8 years ago

I would be interested if my schedule will allow it. It constantly changes so I may be better off as a sub.
    I was also tossing the idea around for starting a south suburban Denver casual get together maybe once or twice a month. Each time it would be at another pinsiders home and would constantly rotate. I was even thinking of doing like a Pinball Potluck-where everyone brings some party favors? It could constantly change from one night playing for dollars to pingolf, highscore, or other style tournament formats. When I get together with lots of pinheads I usually end up talking and socializing most of the time.

#19 8 years ago

Lakewood would smoke y'all.....

1 week later
    #20 8 years ago

any updates?

#21 8 years ago

My fiance and I would be down for something in the Castle Rock area.

#22 8 years ago

Thanks to everyone who pm'd me. First order of business is to get a day of the week that works for the locations. You'll be hearing something more concrete in the next week...and then we can start forming teams1

#23 8 years ago

I Checked out the games at Stumpys is Castle Rock tonight. All are in great shape and play well. Monster Bash, Metallica, X-Men, Iron Man, Fun House, Wizard of Oz, and AC/DC. The two classics are very clean. All are nicely maintained.

IMG_20160116_202237201_(resized).jpgIMG_20160116_202237201_(resized).jpg

By the way, they are going to be closed on Mondays.

Lem

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I Checked out the games at Stumpys is Castle Rock tonight. All are in great shape and play well. Monster Bash, Metallica, X-Men, Iron Man, Fun House, Wizard of Oz, and AC/DC. The two classics are very clean. All are nicely maintained.
    IMG_20160116_202237201_(resized).jpg
    By the way, they are going to be closed on Mondays.
    Lem

Thanks Lem, that looks awesome. Hope we can get a team going there.

Will have more info in the next few days!

#25 8 years ago

Front Range Team League (placeholder name)

A team is 10 players who defend their honor and home turf against other teams over an 8 week season. Half of the games will be at home, hosting a different visiting team each time. The other half will be traveling to other locations to try and beat the host team.

8pm, every Thursday night from March 24th through May 12th.

Current locations (and contact person):
    Denver, 1up Lodo: Caucasian2Step (Kevin Ryan)
    Denver, 1up Colfax: Bill Reeves
    Boulder, Press Play: me! (Ryan Wanger)
    Lyons, Lyons Classic Pinball: There will be a team, captain undetermined
    Fort Collins, Pinball Jones: infinitelives (David Andersen)
    Other locations? Talk to me.

Players: if you will be able to attend most of the games, and are willing to travel to nearby cities/venues half the time - awesome, you should get yourself on a roster! Teams need to show up with 10 players to maximize their bonus points. If you can only attend once in a while, you should talk to your nearest captains, and tell them you'd like to be an occasional substitute. Not only are subs encouraged, they're practically required.

Potential captains: If you'd like to start another team, please talk to me. We can have as many as 2 teams per venue, but I doubt that will be necessary for the first season. A venue must have at least 5 machines to host a team.

Cost: $400 per team, paid by the captain...so basically $40 per player. 100% payout. Will be determined once number of teams is set.

WPPR points: none. This is for city/venue glory (and money). Individual results are not separated out - you win, and lose, as a team.

Stacking teams: none. There are IFPA ranking related restrictions on teams. No more than 3 players in the top 1000. Of those, no more than 2 in top 500 and 1 in top 150. Each team is going to have a good mix of skill levels.

Format: An evening match consists of: 14 singles games, and 8 doubles games = each of your 10 players plays 3 games throughout the night. Teams alternate choosing games and players, other team gets to match up as they see fit. Live coaching is allowed. This will be modeled as close as possible to Monday Night Pinball in Seattle: http://www.mondaynightpinball.com/rules.html

Questions? If you want personal contact info for anyone, please PM me.

I will reach out to people via email also.

#26 8 years ago

Cuckoo's Nest? Donavan Stepp?

#27 8 years ago

I'm a maybe for the Fort Collins crew. My schedule is a beast so I know I wouldn't be able to make it every time so would need flexibility on the team.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Cuckoo's Nest? Donavan Stepp?

Yes. Though he thinks he doesn't need players yet.

#29 8 years ago

So a 10 person team for each of the locations listed?

#30 8 years ago

How do the substitutes work?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

So a 10 person team for each of the locations listed?

Yes. If you show up with 10 people, you get maximum bonus points. You can do as few as 8 in a pinch, but you're going to be at a big disadvantage because of how the scoring works. (Edit: You'd really want at least 8 players...you can compete with 7 but will be playing two doubles games short-handed).

Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

How do the substitutes work?

If you're on a roster for a team, you can only play for that team. Subs can play for whomever they want (as long as it doesn't make the team exceed the IFPA ranking restrictions)...but can't play for the same team more then 3 times in a season.

#32 8 years ago

I can sub if anyone needs. unless there is a Colorado Springs team that needs anyone

#33 8 years ago

Im in for Fort Collins, sounds like we should be able to get enough people

#34 8 years ago

Glad to see this coming together!

#35 8 years ago

We're in! And would love to be on the 1up Colfax roster.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Im in for Fort Collins, sounds like we should be able to get enough people

Excellent! No one has stepped up yet to tell me they will be a captain in Fort Collins. Who will it be?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Excellent! No one has stepped up yet to tell me they will be a captain in Fort Collins. Who will it be?

Yeah Kim asked me earlier if I would do it, I gladly accepted. Hopefully we can solidify a roster soon

#38 8 years ago

Cuckoo team has 10 players.
    Let me know when to submit the roster

#39 8 years ago

Im looking forward to this.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Cuckoo team has 10 players.
    Let me know when to submit the roster

Anytime is fine. You can make changes up until the day before the season starts.

#41 8 years ago

We need a good name for the league. Any good ideas?

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

We need a good name for the league. Any good ideas?

Not sure on a name, but we should get a trophy made up that can be displayed in the winning teams bar for bragging rights.

#43 8 years ago

Hum.. I think I might be in for a team or as a sub on the sub list.. Not an amazing player by any means of the word though.

JJ

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Hum.. I think I might be in for a team or as a sub on the sub list.. Not an amazing player by any means of the word though.
    JJ

A team league is ideal for all skill levels.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A team league is ideal for all skill levels.

You obviously haven't seen me in action

#46 8 years ago

Self-deprecating aside, I really want this to be approachable for players of all skill levels. I realize that making the captains gatekeepers to getting on a team probably makes it feel otherwise, but it's necessary for a logistics standpoint (at least this first season). (And we can always add a team or two to accommodate extra players).

Being on a team definitely changes the dynamic from typical tournaments (where you're on your own). With a team, there is even more opportunity and incentive to improve, and get help/feedback. Instead of it being you vs 20 other players, it's you and your 9 teammates vs just one other player (your opponent in any given match).

The number one reason that people don't play in leagues/tournaments is that they "aren't good enough". If that is stopping you from trying to participate, please send me a message so I can talk you out of that mindset.

#47 8 years ago

If anyone up north looking to participate for the Fort Collins Pinball Jones Team, either as a player or sub, shoot me a pm!

#48 8 years ago

Boulder still has a few spots.

All 4 Denver teams are full as far as I know. But if you're interested in Denver, be sure to message me. Would love to have a 5th team.

Surprisingly is almost zero action on a Lyons team. Let's make this happen!

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

If anyone up north looking to participate for the Fort Collins Pinball Jones Team, either as a player or sub, shoot me a pm!

I'm interested but depending on exact details and schedules, I'd likely have to be a sub.

Bryan

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

I'm interested but depending on exact details and schedules, I'd likely have to be a sub.
    Bryan

8pm every Thursday night, March 24th - May 12th. Half the games are home, and half away. Where you will be playing when won't be figured out till a week or two before the league starts. Need to have the number of teams and their locations finalized before any of that can be scheduled.

I assumed that where each game will be each week would not impact whether or not a person could play. Either you're available on Thursday nights, or not. PBJ (which would play 4 games in Fort Collins, 1 in Boulder, and probably 3 in Denver) is having a team either way, and at the very least they could use subs.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-in-a-denver-front-range-team-league/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.