Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by usul27
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Tron is one of my all time favorite pins. I have been working on a custom project and I have now gotten to a point of seeing who would be interested in making this happen with me. What I am doing is getting the original tron full cabinet decal set re worked and adding a mirrored layer to it and then making them radcals. Think of the GNR CE radcals in how they have the mirrored layers to them and have tremendous depth. I am only looking at doing a super short run and not trying to capitalize on these but there is a minimum for me to get these done and they are not cheap. Please pm me if interested and this will let me see if I will move forward or not. There will only be around 20 sets of these made and cost would be between $475-500/ set. I know this is alot higher than a standard decal set, but these would be radcals and very very rare. Not sure on how the response for this will be but I'll put everyone in order and the first 20 will get first option.

#2 2 years ago

How easy/hard would this be to install for a noobie?

#3 2 years ago

Cabinet and backbox, with same art?

#4 2 years ago

Easy to apply over existing art and yes same art but with mirrored layers to add depth. All 5 pieces ...look at how GNR collectors looks for an idea.

#5 2 years ago

Tron is one of those games you can always add to! It was made to be modded, I don't understand why Stern did not pick up on that when they made it. Also should have done a vault!! Or should do a vault! Until then, we can bling this as much as possible!

#6 2 years ago

Bumping to get this project done.

#7 2 years ago

Please post pics,

Are radcals installed without damaging the graphics underneath?

I have an LE, I would hate to hurt the game by installing these then wanting to remove them later (although I don’t know why I would)

#8 2 years ago

Myself, and because I have a Tron Pro, I will eventually replace at least one side backbox decal that has a small scuff. So, removing all the decals and installing thicker, high res mirrored decals is a no brainer!

But I see that folks with the LE would hesitate to cover up the original stenciled art. Myself, I don't really like the resolution, so I'd go with high res anytime. It depends on what you like best.

Let's face it, the playfield art on Tron wasn't the best. So anything helps, IMO!

#9 2 years ago

Put me down as interested.

#11 2 years ago

Can you guys pm me so I can keep up with it easier? Just easier to keep those that want in in one place

#12 2 years ago

You would not be able to remove these rad cals once installed. The art would look like the original but have much more depth and some mirrored areas. If you have never seen radcals on a game before it basically looks like a clear coated cabinet. Really enhances the look of the game plus these will have alot more depth and sheen to them due to the glossy finish of the material used. They will have a full adhesive backing so all you do is line up the front edge of the radcal and pull the backing away and work your way down the cabinet. Ive installed them on a medeival madness before as well as a dialed in and each took less than 30 minutes to install...incredibly simple.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Myself, and because I have a Tron Pro, I will eventually replace at least one side backbox decal that has a small scuff. So, removing all the decals and installing thicker, high res mirrored decals is a no brainer!
But I see that folks with the LE would hesitate to cover up the original stenciled art. Myself, I don't really like the resolution, so I'd go with high res anytime. It depends on what you like best.
Let's face it, the playfield art on Tron wasn't the best. So anything helps, IMO!

The LE’s have direct printed dot matrix styled art on the cab... I dont know why it’s not high res, maybe the print company did not have the capability to print high res directly on the cabinet in 2011

If I had messed up art on my cab, I’d probably be all over radcals with mirror, my LE’s side art is perfect, I guess I’ll bow out, but watch the candy show

#14 2 years ago

about half way there on interested peeps...getting closer

PM me if you want in on this as it will be a one time personal run onlyl

#15 2 years ago

If these are radcal style are you looking to put them on the plastic/polycarbonate backing?

#16 2 years ago

Yes sir...

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Please post pics,
Are radcals installed without damaging the graphics underneath?
I have an LE, I would hate to hurt the game by installing these then wanting to remove them later (although I don’t know why I would)

Removable mods are always better in my book Would be nice if there was a way to do that. I have an LE too.

#18 2 years ago

I understand, but IMHO these would be light years ahead of the original art packaged decals or screen.

#19 2 years ago

I must admit I'm intrigued, however I lack data point on how this would look and whether this is worthwhile the investment. I understand it's not yet available, so no picture, but a few questions in order to help:

- Do you already have some art material to share that would indicate where the mirroring layer appears ?
- I've been trying to find good picture of GnR CE showing the effect, but failed to find a good picture of it with a good rendering. Probably best seen in person, or with a video maybe, especially since you mention "tremendous depth". Would you have a link ?

I need to replace my decals anyway, so that would be a good opportunity...

Note: are those printed locally in the US ? If so need to account for shipping charges (to Europe in my case)

Cheers

#20 2 years ago

I don’t have the file showing pics of mirrored areas yet as I didn’t want to pay for the art files to be created until I know I’m moving forward.

#21 2 years ago

There are still a few spots still available...once I get these last five or so pms I’ll contact everyone and get details hammered out and get started. This will unfortunately tho be a one and done deal...so choose wisely..lol!

#22 2 years ago

ulmpharmd i'm potentially interested but i'm wondering what your approach with be with how to deal with the bolts?

There are 3 per side in the middle of the art on both cabinet body and also 2 in each side of the head.

I have another machine with radcals on them which doesn't have these sorts of bolts through the middle of the art work.
If they were placed directly on top "as-is" there would be noticeable bumps.

I can't seem to find a good example of the gnr ce mirroring you were talking about.

Closest pic I could find in the gnr ce owners thread but doesn't have mirrored backglass like sections (https://imgproxy.pinside.com/dbHMz3Rshsefc7sfx5v4nm7GXiLnw8VxGjY0kx6nt0U/rs:fit:2048:2048/q:70/aHR0cHM6Ly9vLnBpbnNpZGUuY29tL2MvY2IvMzkvY2NiMzllYjYwMWQwNDQ2MGE3NWYzMzliNjYzMjQ1ZThmM2Y4ZTQxOS5qcGVn)

#23 2 years ago

The holes would be cut out for the bolts just as they are in the regular decals. The gnr radcals have a mirrored /chrome foil layer in the artwork that gives depth to the images. Hard to see in pics. Elvira signature edition had something similar I think. I only need a few more interested people to move forward so keep pm me and we can get started

3 weeks later
#24 2 years ago

Hey guys/gals...just letting everyone know that I've got my contact working on the file right now and i'll keep everyone posted once its ready. I am still short a few people of having enough to move forward on it as far as the financials go so let me know if you are interested/in on this one time very limited run. I need about 6 or 7 more people to make a go of it and it make sense

2 weeks later
#25 2 years ago

You might want to advertise in the Tron owner thread again, just to raise awareness

Regards

#26 2 years ago

I would be interested. I just picked up a Tron

3 weeks later
#27 2 years ago

Has there been any progress on this project ?

Regards

#28 2 years ago

I am interested in this. Big time!! PM'ing you now.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Has there been any progress on this project ?
Regards

Dunno, waiting. I already pm'd. Would look fantastic!

#30 2 years ago

Looking forward to this. Do we have enough interest? I would be down for two sets if it helps get this project going.

3 weeks later
#31 2 years ago

I plan to change my decals pretty soon, so... if this project is still alive and with some expected planned delivery date, i'm still in, but otherwise I'll have to pull out

Regards

#32 2 years ago

I’m in for a set

1 month later
#33 2 years ago

How is this going? Any updates?

1 month later
#34 2 years ago

Is this going to still happen because I’m in for a set !

#35 2 years ago

Yes, im also in for a set

#36 2 years ago

There hasn't been a response for five months, so I think it's safe to assume it's dead unfortunately

3 weeks later
#37 2 years ago

It’s not dead guys…just taking way longer than I expected to get the right people that I need on it to be able to work on it…hang in there.. I’ll keep u posted when I get closer.

1 week later
#38 2 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

It’s not dead guys…just taking way longer than I expected to get the right people that I need on it to be able to work on it…hang in there.. I’ll keep u posted when I get closer.

Great news... Can't wait

2 months later
#39 2 years ago

Following, interested in this

#40 2 years ago

Sorry so slow guys….just tons going on..

1 week later
#41 1 year ago

Too late to get in on this?

5 months later
#42 1 year ago

I would also be interested.

2 weeks later
#43 1 year ago

Still alive..! Lol

5 months later
#44 1 year ago

I'm considering doing my own decal, anyone would have good source content for that ? Key element is pretty high resolution, since the output need to be 300dpi at 1 scale.

2 months later
#45 10 months ago

Cool project.
What happened to it?

#46 10 months ago

Good question. Is this still active?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-for-small-run-of-tron-mirrored-radcals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.