Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 152 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by eLLuiGi
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg
    IMG_20180802_1434272.jpg
    IMG_1007 (resized).jpg
    There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Funkbuster:

A guy on Hyper Free Spin forum also does some with color but they look less classy than the one here

it doesn't help that he's using the "outdoor" displays (notice the smaller LED segments with larger [dead areas] between them. I got a set of those early on and they were immediately ruled out. they may look great from a distance of 25'+ away for really large displays, but for the purpose of the clock it just doesn't look that great

ps
    the wire transfer for the run-dmd boards was made last night. that just leaves ordering the shipping boxes and acrylic frames in the "things to do" column

#52 5 years ago

He does have some pinball animation in there too, Godzilla in colour at the 11:00 mark in the second video. For whatever reason I like the consistent look of the nice orange glow though in this instance.

#53 5 years ago

I can't wait getting J_M clock definitly the best one !!!!

#54 5 years ago

Any chance the quantity of this run can be expanded to allow a few more people to get in on the order?

#55 5 years ago

2018.jun.07 update
    I've amended the OP to include a timeline for everything, which currently looks like this:

"to do" list
    - tools (allen keys) - ordered jun 01 - rec'd jun 04
    - hardware (bolts, screws, stand-offs, washers, etc...) - ordered jun 01
    - ac adapters & power cords - ordered jun 03
    - LED panels - ordered jun 04 via wire transfer
    - run-dmd pc boards - ordered jun 05 via wire transfer
    - acrylic panels - TBD
    - shipping boxes/packaging peanuts - TBD
    - build wiring harnesses & flat ribbon cables (upon receipt on LED panels)

I will continue to update this as parts begin to arrive and other progress is made

in the meantime, if everyone on the list would be so kind as to pm me your complete mailing information and email addresses (use the subject line 'run-dmd clock batch 8 mailing info'), I will update my spreadsheet which will make it a much easier process to calculate the final costs due (including shipping) and print the shipping labels when the time comes

#56 5 years ago

2018.jun.08 update
    it appears that the LCD panels should arrive on monday

once I have those in-hand, I can make the final changes to the acrylic panels and order those and begin manufacturing the harnesses and data cables (which will significantly increase productivity when it coming time to assembling the clocks

I guess I need to order the shipping boxes and packaging peanuts today or this weekend

I've also updated the OP with those people who have sent their address information to me via pm with [AC] (address confirmed)

#57 5 years ago

Since this is your absolutely last batch, any plans on releasing your awesome frame and acrylic panel designs so that we can try to build one based on that?

#58 5 years ago

I may make them available publicly on ponoko.com where I get a small kickback if they are used. I figure that I put in enough changes and improvements that I should get something for my effort

of course, I may also choose to produce one run a year. the biggest problem with the last run was that I bit off more than I could chew and sat on 1/2 of the materials for the better part of a year before selling everything. it took up space and cashflow

I'd really love to do a full color version but that would require a ton of effort to color everything that's already been done and would require new hardware

the arcade work-in-progress that funkmaster sent me a youtube video of looks amazing

#59 5 years ago

2018.jun.12 update
    the LED panels arrived yesterday. I still need to go through and hand check everyone of them for defects, but the packaging wasn't damaged (which is a good sign for a parcel this large and heavy

with the panels in hand and knowing the layout of everything, I started making the custom cables

the ac adapters are scheduled to arrive tomorrow

#60 5 years ago

so when will you be making these arcade ones?

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so when will you be making these arcade ones?

quit trolling

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I may make them available publicly on ponoko.com where I get a small kickback if they are used. I figure that I put in enough changes and improvements that I should get something for my effort
    of course, I may also choose to produce one run a year. the biggest problem with the last run was that I bit off more than I could chew and sat on 1/2 of the materials for the better part of a year before selling everything. it took up space and cashflow
    I'd really love to do a full color version but that would require a ton of effort to color everything that's already been done and would require new hardware
    the arcade work-in-progress that funkmaster sent me a youtube video of looks amazing

This would look great next to my Stern kit DMD clock I bought from you. Is there a development thread for this one anywhere? I don't see any member on pinside named "funkmaster" when I searched it.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

More
    This would look great next to my Stern kit DMD clock I bought from you. Is there a development thread for this one anywhere? I don't see any member on pinside named "funkmaster" when I searched it.

I don't think that funkmaster is the creator of the arcade version, he merely pointed it out to me and I reposted the youtube link

I still am awaiting a pm containing complete address information from the following people:
    billyboy, TG, bemmett, Blitzburgh99, goingincirclez, acaiolo, PinHacks, Charliew65, alienagent and St0n3PiraT3

#64 5 years ago

If there is a standby/waitlist/dropout list put me in que, I'm down for one of these clocks!

Wish I would have seen this way sooner.

#65 5 years ago

I typically do not keep a list of people's name outside of the reservations. however, if 2 weeks pass after the clocks are available and I haven't heard back from the people on the list, I will strike them [from the list, just to clarify] and let everyone know (in this thread) when/if I have any unclaimed clocks available

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I typically do not keep a list of people's name outside of the reservations. however, if 2 weeks pass after the clocks are available and I haven't heard back from the people on the list, I will strike them [from the list, just to clarify] and let everyone know (in this thread) when/if I have any unclaimed clocks available

Sounds fair...subscribing to this thread

#67 5 years ago

Can we sell our spot on the list? Like guys do for Pinballs? Lol

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Can we sell our spot on the list? Like guys do for Pinballs? Lol

you can sure as hell try. however, since no money has exchanged hands, your spot isn't really worth anything

if you'd like, I can remove you from the list (considering that you're among the people who have ignored 2 requests for your address info). I'm sure that charles4400 would appreciate that

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you can sure as hell try. however, since no money has exchanged hands, your spot isn't really worth anything
    if you'd like, I can remove you from the list (considering that you're among the people who have ignored 2 requests for your address info). I'm sure that charles4400 would appreciate that

Works for me!

#70 5 years ago

2018.jun.14 update
    - the ac adapters and power cords arrived yesterday
    - completed assembly of all of the flat ribbon (data) cables last night and will continue with the power cables tonight
    (I now realize that this was the part that I truly "hated" because it's some of the most tedious and repetitive work that there is

based on the weather outlook, I will probably order the boxes and packaging peanuts on monday (no sense in risking having 40 lbs of cardboard delivered to have it ruined by lying in the rain all day long

I'm helping a friend out and utilizing the "dead space" on the acrylic for the panels. so once that design is finalized, the acrylic order will be placed

I will also be modifying my ponoko "store" to remove some of the older templates, add the new one as well as add additional information to the descriptions if possible
    (otherwise I will create a topic here with that information

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I’m still in. I kid...Haha! Was just curious as I see there is lots of interest and people always flipping their pre-order pinball spots for big cash.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

Address sent

#73 5 years ago

watching this post for a open spot - if anyone want's out PM me.

#74 5 years ago

2018.jun.15 update
    hoping to complete assembly of the power cables this weekend. that should be everything that I can do until the metal hardware arrives

with that said, I was planning to open up the size of the battery access hole and the power cable access hole a bit to make it easier
    does anyone have any issues if I just make this one, larger hole?

#75 5 years ago

Do what you think is best.
    -Mike

#76 5 years ago

Ughh I missed another run. These are so great, if there is a queue or waiting list as mentioned above please pencil me in. With pen.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Ughh I missed another run. These are so great, if there is a queue or waiting list as mentioned above please pencil me in. With pen.

as stated previously, I do not keep a waiting list for the waiting list

going forward I [may] offer up a single run per year (as long as the interest level is there
    however, people can continue to build the clocks for themselves (there are plenty of threads here on pinside where I've supplied the complete BOM with links for purchasing the individual components, it's just that the quantities don't line up very well and you will be left with extra parts

I will warranty and support the clocks that I sell for a period of 90 days, after that or for those that choose to build them on their own, support will be available for a fee

#78 5 years ago

Making the hole larger would greatly help! If I recall correctly, it’s hard to feed the ferrite core through the hole at the current size, especially if you want the cord to come out through the back instead of the bottom or top, depending on how the clock is mounted.

Quoted from j_m_:

2018.jun.15 update
    hoping to complete assembly of the power cables this weekend. that should be everything that I can do until the metal hardware arrives
    with that said, I was planning to open up the size of the battery access hole and the power cable access hole a bit to make it easier
    does anyone have any issues if I just make this one, larger hole?

#79 5 years ago

yep, same,
    do what you think is the best !!!

#80 5 years ago

2018.jun.18 update
    - completed construction of the power cables yesterday
    - bagged up all of received hardware (1 bag per clock), making assembly easier
    - ordered the shipping boxes and packaging (the calculated shipping costs will include a $8 surcharge to cover the costs of the boxes, bubble wrap and packaging peanuts

"to do"
    - place the order for the acrylic frames this week

#81 5 years ago

2018.jun.19 update
    - received the 2-pin molex connectors today (I have an agreement with the run-dmd guys to ship the boards without the power lug
    I install a 90° molex power connector set-up. this lowers the height of the board significantly and allows me to reduce the clock thickness by about 4mm

just waiting on the M3 8mm allen head stainless screws and I'll have all of the required hardware

the final changes to the acrylic pattern will be made tonight (I may post a pic later) and the order for the frames will be placed thursday/friday

the next update will be posted once I take delivery of last remaining components and start assembly of the clocks. pm's will be sent with the amount due and payment instructions as clocks are built, tested, boxed and ready to ship

edit 2018.jun.20:
    I also "upgradedd" (some of you will get this) the wire for the power cables from 20 to 18awg in this build and made all of the necessary changes to the files for laser cutting last night. I ended up keeping the battery holder cut out the same size and position, but increased the access hole to the power input by about 30%

the hole should now be large enough for the power cord ferrite to fit through

#82 5 years ago

2018.jun.21 update
    the acrylic was ordered this morning (the order would have been placed last night, but ponoko's site was having technical issues that were not resolved until this morning

I'm still waiting on the M3 x 8mm screws, but everything else is good to go once the run-dmd boards and acrylic arrive.

I'm waiting on a few people to send me their address info (apparently, a lot of pinsiders don't realize that you can "favorite" a topic which will let you know when something new has been posted

#83 5 years ago

acrylic frame plans update
    in reading up on how to sell on ponoko.com, I don't think that I want to get into the whole "a customer pays me, then I have to place the order on ponoko and have them ship it to them"

I think that what I'm going to do is just create either a webpage or thread here on pinside with the frame specifics (size of the LED panels that the frame supports, dimensions and positions of the mounting lugs, etc...) and a link to the files.

the files will be made available free of charge, but if anyone that uses them wants to throw me a fiver for the effort (basically, buying me a beer), that would be fine by me

additionally, if you happen to purchase LED panels that are not supported by any of my [current] frame design patterns, I will offer the service of creating custom frame plans on a [work for hire] basis

#84 5 years ago

Thanks for updating the informations making it very clear

#85 5 years ago

Any spots free? Anyone what to xfer out? I'm looking to get in.

#86 5 years ago

For anyone out there who wants one of the single color original clocks I have an extra I would let go for $325.00 and I will be at Pintastic friday.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

For anyone out there who wants one of the single color original clocks I have an extra I would let go for $325.00 and I will be at Pintastic friday.

PM sent

#88 5 years ago

2018.jun.27 update
    in assembling my personal clock from the last batch, I've noticed that the "purple" color still appears to be an issue (so apparently, building new cables from scratch was not an "end all, be all" answer
    as another pinsider previously pointed out to me, touching the cable (or the connector and thus insulating it) can "fix" the problem

so...
    even though the cables are already assembled, I've ordered some flat ribbon metal ferrite cores to see if this corrects the issue. if it does, I'll cut off one end, slide on the ferrite and and then re-terminate the end with a new connector. if this does not solve the problem, I'm not sure what else I can try

this is not an issue all other colors (red, green, blue, yellow, aqua and white), just purple

#89 5 years ago

the ferrite cores arrived today but do not solve the issue. I will continue to test alternative options between now and the time that the run-dmd boards arrive and post if I find a plausible solution

#90 5 years ago

2018.jul.03 update

PURPLE ISSUE SOLVED!!!

#91 5 years ago

You're awesome, How did you resolve it ?

#92 5 years ago

two data lines were identified to be producing cross talk noise

splitting apart the 16-pin flat ribbon cable leading from the run-dmd pc board to the first connector of the LED panels so that those 2 data lines were no longer parallel to each other corrected the issue

#93 5 years ago

I understand they had to be some kind of isolated. Good job !!!

#94 5 years ago

anyone interested in purchasing 50 ferrite cores?

#95 5 years ago

“Return to sender: address unknown.”

#96 5 years ago

2018.jul.09 update
    the run-dmd pc boards were shipped out on jul 06, but still show that they are in sweden. I do not have an ETA yet for their arrival, however once they do, assembly will commence and I should be able to complete and box up approximately 4-5 clock per night

a total amount due and payment details will be sent to everyone via pm based on the order you are in the list as the clocks are boxed up and ready to ship out

#97 5 years ago

2018.jul.10 update
    still no movement updates from usps.com for the run-dmd pc boards. I was hoping that they would arrive by friday or saturday this week and that would give me the weekend to try to assemble and box up at least 1/2 of the clocks

fingers crossed that I'll see an update soon

July 7, 2018, 1:34 am
    Processed Through Facility
    STOCKHOLM UTRIKES, SWEDEN
    Your item has been processed through a facility in STOCKHOLM UTRIKES, SWEDEN at 1:34 am on July 7, 2018.

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
    July 6, 2018, 10:39 am
    Acceptance
    SWEDEN

#98 5 years ago

2018.jul.13 update
    the shipment has hit the united states and is currently enroute to my state (michigan). next update will be upon receipt when the assembly process will begin

#99 5 years ago

2018.jul.16 update
    well, it's about time!!

July 16, 2018, 11:12 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on July 16, 2018 at 11:12 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

this means that I should have the run-dmd pc boards tomorrow or wednesday at the latest and assembly can commence

#100 5 years ago

Your step by step updates are very commendable for the current order group.
    Your customer service is top notch among the mod makers here on pinside.
    Disclose; very satisfied prior customer!
    Thank you for your work in the past, and now.

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-run-dmd-clocks-absolutely-the-final-batch/page/2?hl=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.