(Topic ID: 243604)

interest check: run-dmd clocks (2019 batch)

By j_m_

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190706_130027 (resized).jpg
    run-dmd switches (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 4 years ago

I'm checking to see if there is enough interest to run another batch for 2019. like the previous batches, the number of clocks in the run will be limited to 24

NOTE:if you are interested in obtaining a pinball dmd or jumbo sized clock, please reach out to ddebuss (daniel debusschere) here on pinside or via email @ [email protected] (and tell him that I sent you his way)

clock description:
    assembled using custom laser-cut acrylic panels, the clocks use (2) two P5 sized rgb LED panels, which are mounted side-by-side to display the 128x32 dot resolution (the same resolution and aspect ratio as pinball DMD). each clock measures approximately 28.00" (w) x 7.50" (h) x 1.50" (d)
    although the clock can only display monochrome colored animations, the user has the ability to select between one of 7 colors (red, green, blue, yellow, purple (magenta), teal or white) by toggling the six dip switches accessible from the backside of the clock (see below for legend)

color selectable dip-switch settings [on - up, off - down]:
    run-dmd switches (resized).pngrun-dmd switches (resized).png

the clocks ship ready to mount on the wall (with 2 hanging holes [16" on center]) or can be placed on a shelf or desktop with only a small amount of assembly required (install the front panel using the enclosed hardware and tools
    the front, transparent gray acrylic panel is shipped with the protective paper still attached on both sides to prevent any accidental scratches during transit

featuring a custom designed, laser cut acrylic front and rear panels, the front is a dark transparent grey (to neatly hide the internal components when the clock is not powered on) and the rear panel is black with material that has a glossy front side and matte back side (to help reduce/eliminate fingerprints).
    custom cut-outs in the rear panel allow access to: CR2032 battery, the power cable port, a 6-pin ICSP header to facilitate updating the run-dmd pc board's firmware and the 6 toggle switch block to change the clock's display color

a microchip pickit 3 or 4 is required to update the clock's onboard firmware and a pc-based computer to update/re-image the SD card using hddraw copy software

information regarding how to adjust the many options found in the clock can be found here:
    http://www.phosphors.com/run-dmd/Run-DMD_v3.54_Menu_Navigation.pdf

a youtube video on how to properly install the CR2032 battery can be found here:

the cost per clock is $450 plus shipping, and each clock includes the following:
    - a mostly assembled run-dmd clock
    - (1) CR2032 lithium coin battery (to store all user defined settings and keep time when the clock is powered off)
    - (1) 5v, 10a power supply to power the clock with a 6' grounded 3-prong cable (north american standard)

video of retromanIE's clock from the batch 5

from turbo20lbsfrom turbo20lbs
    from tuna delightfrom tuna delight

NOTE:
    please take the time to read the .pdf user guide linked above prior to attempting to change/adjust any of the clock settings (especially the ones under the TOOLS menu option

PLEASE READ the NOTE at the bottom of this post PRIOR attempting to modify the settings of your clock

activating the "detect DMD" option will attempt to re-detect the various compatible dmd panel types connected to your run-dmd pc board. if your panels are working correctly, you

DO NOTwant to select this option

NOTE 2:
    if you turn off the clock prior to selecting a new display type, your clock will not display correctly the next time you power it up after selecting this option. if you do select this option, you need to go through the process of re-selecting the correct display type (by pressing and holding down button 3, while powering up the clock and then waiting for the display types to begin to cycle and confirming the correct display type with button 4

the software required re-image your SD card using hdd raw copy
    http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/HDDRawCopy1.10Setup.exe

NOTE 3:

DO NOTattempt to read the SD card in your computer. due to the nature of how the information is [blindly] written, your computer will report that the card is not formatted.

DO NOTformat the card, otherwise you will lose all of your settings and animations stored on the SD card

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> READ ME <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    is your clock displaying 2/4 bright horizontal lines when powering up and nothing more?
    - eject and re-insert the SD card to ensure that it is making connection in the card slot on the run-dmd pc board

is your clock displaying either corrupt or no animations? check out this thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-clock-reflashing-the-sd-card-to-fix-glitched-no-animations

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> READ ME <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

reservation list

1. homegameroom
    2. MattElder
    3. ChiefEngineer
    4. Nihonmasa- payment in 2020
    5. Brady2Gronk
    6. Chisox
    7. IDrink2Much
    8. Hitlow
    9. 911Paramedic
    10. titanpenguin
    11. liorillusion
    12. liorillusion
    13. paynemic
    14. Fmfreim
    15. SKWilson
    16. Onwallst
    ^^^ minimum needed to order everything and offer up a batch ^^^
    17. Onwallst
    18. Dicky
    19. Pinballer73
    20. Groo
    21. MrMikeman
    22. boilerman

last updated:

2019.may.28

2019.oct.30 (bolded re-confirmed buyers)

#11 4 years ago

Nihonmasa
    I've tentatively added you to the list, however you may want to consider reaching out to ddebuss here on pinside if you're after one of the [much] smaller, pinball dmd sized clocks (see the initial post for details)

#16 4 years ago

just a head's up that I need a minimum of 16 people on the reservation list in order for me to order all of necessary components and proceed producing this batch

2 weeks later
    #19 4 years ago

I'm kind of surprised myself considering that the last batch was completely filled in about 3 days. maybe the clocks have reached a saturation point

I'll keep the thread going to see if we do eventually reach the minimum of 16 people

2 weeks later
    #28 4 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

Can I run one of these in Australia. 240v here.

yes, the power supply is rated for 100-240v. you just need a different connector from it to your mains

1 week later
    #34 4 years ago

I'm on facebook as j.m. ratkos

2 weeks later
    #35 4 years ago

if we get another 54 people to commit, I will order all of the components and start producing them

2 weeks later
    #37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

bump for a cool clock...
    Will the ones you're making be the size of the one on the wall in the first photo on the first post?

yes, the size of the clock is approximately 28" (w) x 9"(h)

3 weeks later
    #43 4 years ago

only one more person is needed and then I will proceed with ordering the remaining components and go forward with producing the new batch

1 month later
    #45 4 years ago

if anyone wants this run done before the holidays, now is the time to act and get on the list so that I can order the remaining components

if I can get a quick pm from everyone that is on the reservation list to confirm that they are still "in", that will go a long way to help me determine if we actually have the necessary numbers to make this run happen

#53 4 years ago

2019.nov.04 update
    I've sent confirmation pm's to the remaining people that have expressed interest for this run. if I receive confirmation from 5 or more people I will proceed with ordering the remaining components and start this last run

#58 4 years ago

from PPS

if you are creating product that is using (whether you provide or not) DMD frames which are copyright Williams Electronics Games, then Contributory Infringement is the term that we may be concerned about being the licensee. If you want to explain to us this product that would be helpful ... thanks rick

with that being stated, I'm sorry but I am in no way going to get myself involved in a lawsuit

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-run-dmd-clocks-2019-batch?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.