(Topic ID: 52583)

Interest Check: New Pin2K kits

By Linolium

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you be interested in new kits to swap into existing Pinball 2000 machines”

• YES! Only if the price/preorder cost is right 86 votes
      68%
    • YES! But only if I first play and enjoy the game 33 votes
      26%
    • No. 7 votes
      6%

(126 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ww.jpg
    Want.gif
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Hi all! I've been working on a white wood kit that fits and works in Pinball 2000 machines. I hope to post images of the white wood in a few weeks, but in the mean time I'd like to know if y'all are actually interested in new kits for this platform... If not, then I'll have a nice custom 1-off kit for myself

The kits would include: A playfield assembly, plunger/button, translite, side art, manual, and modern replacement CPU assembly. There are lots of things left to do for this to happen, but I need to start somewhere!

As far as when the kits would be available, I really don't know. It depends on a lot of things... so my guess is probably not before fall 2014 (if not sometime in 2015).

Thanks!
    -Lin

PS. This game's theme will not be a licensed theme.

#2 10 years ago

are you joking...

HELL YES!!! I'd like to sign up now for the first one to be sold!!!

Seriously

#3 10 years ago

side art and translite will not be needed for me.

I just want to be able to drop a new game into my RFM cab and play it!

Also, I have nucore so it would be awesome if it was drop and play for nucore!

#4 10 years ago

+1 what Hilton said. Well, except the nucore part.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#5 10 years ago

WMS was on to something with Pinball 2000 . . . had they just had a couple more games released I think pinball may be in a different place today.

It would rock for there to be another game or two of Pinball 2000.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

WMS was on to something with Pinball 2000 . . . had they just had a couple more games released I think pinball may be in a different place today.
    It would rock for there to be another game or two of Pinball 2000.

I agree. P2K is still light years ahead of everything out there. The only thing coming close is P^3 from Metamorphic but they still have yet to produce a "killer app/game" for their platform.

#7 10 years ago

I'm in for sure

#8 10 years ago

Put me down for one - please do this!

#9 10 years ago

I think letting people have an idea of the theme would help sway opinion

#10 10 years ago

Okay, help out a relative pin-noob...

I understand the P2K is the platform for RFM (which I've never seen nor played). So, what exactly would a 'white wood' kit be? Should I ever consider looking at, trying, and possibly buying a RFM? Would this kit which you are talking about be something integrated into the RFM table or something stand-alone? Also, I've seen other threads about this 'nucore' but not sure what that is either. Any links or info you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

are you joking...

No I'm not joking.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I have nucore so it would be awesome if it was drop and play for nucore!

Sorry, this is very unlikely. The cpu unit would be a drop in replacement just for the game(s) I create.

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So, what exactly would a 'white wood' kit be?

The actual kit itself would be a complete game replacement like Star Wars Episode 1 is for RFM machines. It would not just be new code for an existing playfield nor would it just be a "white wood" playfield.

Quoted from mufcmufc:

I think letting people have an idea of the theme would help sway opinion

That information will come in a few weeks. I would just like to know if there's a general interest in this right now.

#12 10 years ago

Interested here, for sure.

#13 10 years ago

I'm interested also. Just depends on theme, code, and everything else of course.

#15 10 years ago

I'm interested. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

#16 10 years ago

I'd definitely be interested, but only if it is compatible with Nucore (or if there is a new system that completely replaces Nucore). I'm not interested in swapping out CPU systems every time I swap in a new game.

#17 10 years ago

Interested and i don't have a pin2k, but would buy one if another game was available.

#18 10 years ago

I would be interested, but only if it was relatively easy to switch between the new game and the original Bally/Williams games. I have a SWE1 and RFM playfield and 2 PRISM cards running on the original computer and would want to continue to be able to use them without taking too much time for the swap.

#19 10 years ago

Sounds interesting to me. Would love to see what you come up with. I have the original hardware in my game now, so I would obviously prefer it to run off that if possible.

Chris

#20 10 years ago

Have faith in Lin. He is completely capable if making this happen!

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Hi all! I've been working on a white wood kit that fits and works in Pinball 2000 machines. I hope to post images of the white wood in a few weeks, but in the mean time I'd like to know if y'all are actually interested in new kits for this platform... If not, then I'll have a nice custom 1-off kit for myself
    The kits would include: A playfield assembly, plunger/button, translite, side art, manual, and modern replacement CPU assembly. There are lots of things left to do for this to happen, but I need to start somewhere!
    As far as when the kits would be available, I really don't know. It depends on a lot of things... so my guess is probably not before fall 2014 (if not sometime in 2015).
    Thanks!
    -Lin
    PS. This game's theme will not be a licensed theme.

Man, has this hobby taken off....

I also have Nucore. If you can figure an easy auxiliary way to piggyback with Nucore, I'm in. Even if its a second, separate computer to run everything.

I was just about to market my RFM and am now torn on selling or not...

Kim

#22 10 years ago

Definitely interested.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Man, has this hobby taken off....
    I also have Nucore. If you can figure an easy auxiliary way to piggyback with Nucore, I'm in. Even if its a second, separate computer to run everything.
    I was just about to market my RFM and am now torn on selling or not...
    Kim

Get nucore off the brain Kim. No need for it, and the second, separate computer comment is just weird, since that's pretty much what he's proposing.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Get nucore off the brain Kim. No need for it, and the second, separate computer comment is just weird, since that's pretty much what he's proposing.

So let me be weird. Jeeeze.

A second computer would piggyback to Nucore was my meaning.

Kim

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

So let me be weird. Jeeeze.
    A second computer would piggyback to Nucore was my meaning.
    Kim

Ohhh, Kim.....

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Ohhh, Kim.....

"and modern replacement CPU assembly"

I just re-read that. I got it, Rob.

Now lighten up

Kim

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Ohhh, Kim.....
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Ohhh, Rob...

Look, everyone knows you make long dollars off repairing pin2k computers. That is just putting a band-aide on obsolete hardware. Nucore really solves the problem and offers features your repairs don't. There's room for both solutions. No need to be dismissive of a great product. Which is one step closer to coming back out btw

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Which is one step closer to coming back out btw

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Ohhh, Rob...
    Look, everyone knows you make long dollars off repairing pin2k computers. That is just putting a band-aide on obsolete hardware. Nucore really solves the problem and offers features your repairs don't. There's room for both solutions. No need to be dismissive of a great product. Which is one step closer to coming back out btw

Alright, since you choose to chime in...

No, nucore really solves nothing. Simply replacing one closed, proprietary system, with another is not a solution.

The step beyond nucore is what everyone will be excited about. The OP is going in the right direction.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#30 10 years ago

Well, if the new games will need a new computer and will include artwork, a playfield, software, etc, then we can use a manufactured pin2k design like at least one CNC'r is creating for VP cabinets.

http://www.xtremepinball.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_66&products_id=199

This would help those without a pin2k to make a pin2k. Interesting.... make it so!

#31 10 years ago

Build it and we will buy it.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Alright, since you choose to chime in...
    No, nucore really solves nothing. Simply replacing one closed, proprietary system, with another is not a solution.
    The step beyond nucore is what everyone will be excited about. The OP is going in the right direction.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Nucore solves a lot of issues. It's cheaper in the long run than the service you provide and it makes an excellent platform even better. Every couple of weeks you see users unable to upgrade the roms when they switch playfields, Nucore eliminates that. Switching a playfield happens as fast as you can physically switch the playfield. We use all standard computer parts which btw, in total, cost less than you charge for a prism board repair. Yes, we do have a proprietary usb board that cost $39 dollars to repair which is again a fraction of what you charge to repair any pin2k components. If a Nucore user's motherboard goes bad $40 to buy a new replacement one, see new, not hacking on old one. As a matter of fact a Nucore user could buy two replacement Nucore computer systems with all brand new parts for what you charge for a prism board repair.

And the op's solution is the true solution to old pinball 2000 computers? The op doesn't address that. The second you try to run RFM or SWE1 guess what, licensors are going to want their money and some form of protection in the system. The op's solution is awesome for new games going forward but he will still have to pay licensing fees to make a game on pin2k. Oh, btw, if the op uses linux as the os his solution would most likely co-exist with Nucore requiring only one computer. Who knows, a hook could be added to Nucore to launch the new games.

I'm sorry that Nucore cuts into your repair business, but you saying Nucore is not a solution when you make money band-aiding old boards is laughable. Stick to what you do Rob and stop attacking Nucore.

#33 10 years ago

If the new system the OP is proposing could simply use the same standardized PC components as Nucore does, and just required swapping out hard drives (or editing a partition table), that'd definitely be an acceptable solution. However, since Nucore will be making a "come back", it just seems like it would make sense to utilize existing software framework to create a new game.

#34 10 years ago

There seems to be lots of questions about the CPU unit. As chessiv mentioned above, I will need to acquire licenses and what not just to use the Pin2K platform itself. I have absolutely no intention of acquiring the SWEP1 and RFM licenses at all at this time... I see no point since NuCore already handles those games very well. The CPU unit would be it's own enclosure much like the original cpu unit and the NuCore units are. The unit would take less then 5 mins to swap

Please view this whole CPU thing like an arcade JAMMA system. For example: Williams' original hardware would be like a neogeo 1 slot PCB, NuCore would be like a Sega Lindbergh PCB, and my unit would be like a Taito Type X PCB. All PCBs/Units would work in the same cabinet with the same basic hardware (buttons, screen, driver board, etc) and wiring, but each unit is capable of only running games designed for it.

The beauty of both NuCore and my system is: all available games designed for that engine would always be contained on the unit's hard drive. No rom/hard drive/dongle/whatever swapping needed. To switch a game, you just need to install the game playfield kit, make sure the correct CPU system is installed, and change that CPU unit's game setting. Very quick to do, maybe 10 mins tops.

I have not decided on an OS to use. I'm greatly leaning towards a Windows base embedded system. I am also fully aware using Windows embedded OS requires licensing of some type where as a Linux based system does not. My primary concern for OS choice is scalability and ease of setup. I feel it's a waste of resources if I need to recompile a kernel for each new hardware setup I use

And please note for all "Windows can't do it!" people out there, I already have this working on the OS.

Hope this clears things up a bit!
    -Lin

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Taito Type X PCB

Dont ever say that, if you only knew who I was and have done for type x lol

#36 10 years ago

I love a good pipe dream!
    Best of luck.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Nucore solves a lot of issues. It's cheaper in the long run than the service you provide and it makes an excellent platform even better. Every couple of weeks you see users unable to upgrade the roms when they switch playfields, Nucore eliminates that. Switching a playfield happens as fast as you can physically switch the playfield. We use all standard computer parts which btw, in total, cost less than you charge for a prism board repair. Yes, we do have a proprietary usb board that cost $39 dollars to repair which is again a fraction of what you charge to repair any pin2k components. If a Nucore user's motherboard goes bad $40 to buy a new replacement one, see new, not hacking on old one. As a matter of fact a Nucore user could buy two replacement Nucore computer systems with all brand new parts for what you charge for a prism board repair.
    And the op's solution is the true solution to old pinball 2000 computers? The op doesn't address that. The second you try to run RFM or SWE1 guess what, licensors are going to want their money and some form of protection in the system. The op's solution is awesome for new games going forward but he will still have to pay licensing fees to make a game on pin2k. Oh, btw, if the op uses linux as the os his solution would most likely co-exist with Nucore requiring only one computer. Who knows, a hook could be added to Nucore to launch the new games.
    I'm sorry that Nucore cuts into your repair business, but you saying Nucore is not a solution when you make money band-aiding old boards is laughable. Stick to what you do Rob and stop attacking Nucore.

Good god man, you are such a giant tool. It's very obvious you're only in it for the "long dollars", but some of us actually do what we do for the love of the game, the love of the hobby, and the want to keep pinball alive and well.

I can repair more than a dozen P2K games for less than the cost of one of your overpriced, proprietary replacements.

I don't hack anything, nor do I "band-aid" boards. Stop pushing your agenda in threads where you have nothing to add except to expand your unjustified, highly over-inflated ego.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#38 10 years ago

The lack of an ability to just swap the playfield and have the computer automatically change the software is a key issue for me. It doesn't sound like this system will achieve that. Not a deal-breaker, but a much less attractive one.

#39 10 years ago

if the game is good, i'd take one. I prefer not to buy with my head buried in my ass, so i'll have to play it first.

I love p2k. (but not EP1 because it sucks donkey balls). But I still love the platform. TO have the option of another game would be fantastic.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

I love a good pipe dream!
    Best of luck.

But pipe dreams do come true in OZ..............I couldn't resist. Best of luck to Lin, but this does seem like a difficult project to pull off in your basement............Never mind getting this to the point of production. This reminds me of that project the guy did with Demolition man.

#41 10 years ago

Would definitely be interested in whatever comes out of this. I've always pointed people to Mr. Anthony to fix their Pin2k as that's what I would do since Nucore is not available. He really provides a great service on top of all the other items he provides/sells. Having said that, please hurry and roll Nucore out again Mr. Hess as I need one for each of my Pin2k's lol. Pretty please?

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Good god man, you are such a giant tool. It's very obvious you're only in it for the "long dollars", but some of us actually do what we do for the love of the game, the love of the hobby, and the want to keep pinball alive and well.
    I can repair more than a dozen P2K games for less than the cost of one of your overpriced, proprietary replacements.
    I don't hack anything, nor do I "band-aid" boards. Stop pushing your agenda in threads where you have nothing to add except to expand your unjustified, highly over-inflated ego.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Divide 400 bucks 6 ways, no one makes long dollars on Nucore. You came and attacked Nucore again without being provoked. Once again, I'm sorry we're cutting into your repair money but many people much prefer Nucore to repairing obsolete hardware.

Again, to the op, great project and as a pin2k owner I'd love a new game

#43 10 years ago

Okay guys, enough with the derailing. Let's focus on what Lin is offering.

Honestly, even if it is a complete system swap, I'd probably still be interested, I mean, how else am I going to get a brand new Pinball 2000 game? That'd be awesome.

Any hints on the theme?

#44 10 years ago

Interested also.......

#45 10 years ago

I don't think much of p2k, but would be interested.

#46 10 years ago

Sounds great to me. Why bother with embedded windows and not just go full on windows? For the cost of a pinball machine, what's another $100 for oem OS license? If you're interested in help on this project let me know. I'd love to work on something like this.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Interested here, for sure.

+1

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Sounds great to me. Why bother with embedded windows and not just go full on windows? For the cost of a pinball machine, what's another $100 for oem OS license? If you're interested in help on this project let me know. I'd love to work on something like this.

Embedded windows allows more precise timing which is needed in this use case. Plus all of the other crap windows adds for regular users would just clog the pipeline.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

But pipe dreams do come true in OZ..............I couldn't resist. Best of luck to Lin, but this does seem like a difficult project to pull off in your basement............Never mind getting this to the point of production. This reminds me of that project the guy did with Demolition Man.

i know to much from being on the inside of a start up pinball company... the odd are against him...but hes talented and i hope he comes through

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

i know to much from being on the inside of a start up pinball company... the odd are against him...but hes talented and i hope he comes through

Agreed, as the odds are against anyone starting any business these days. Well, I for sure am glad your Pinnovators company has survived as it is a great product. When are you going to convince Stern they should be including this in all LE games??

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-new-pin2k-kits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.