Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

Back row of ribbon cables tend to go first -- normally due to people pulling on the cable rather than the plug (human nature to go the easy route). Usually one of the two back corners will go intermittent first.

Adding a strain relief will add life to the cable. Some cables don't have real good strain reliefs and they tend to come off (I'm looking at YOU - 3M). Many of today's IDC plugs need the strain relief installed as it is an integral part of the plug and helps hold the entire shooting match together. This includes the popular "FC" series plugs made by practically everybody. These are sold under a myriad of part numbers - look for "FC26" (26 pin) or "FC20" (20 pin) on back under strain relief. Keying is not required for any of these plugs - none of the manufacturers used keyed sockets.

Making ribbon cables is not difficult but is a time consuming task. Helps tremendously to have the correct tools --> platen type ribbon cable cutter and a good 3M ribbon cable press with proper platen.

1 week later
#24 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Recently I'm starting to put fresh ribbon cables on every game I own or sell. Just not worth the weird things that could happen with loose ribbon cables. When you see how much tighter the new cables are compared to the old ones it becomes obvious. I like the way Ed from GPE sells them in sets specific for the game so you don't have to match them up 1 at a time like on some parts sellers websites. Don't know why he never did D.E games but I'm glad their available now. I find many bad cables associated with Data East games mainly on the DMD, seems when the batteries leak, they leak on top of the DMD area.

I had considered DE ribbon cables in the past but I don't have any experience with DE machines. Ribbon cables are so time consuming that I'm glad to see another person taking up this line.

4 years later
#72 4 years ago

I can make most cable but don't have a list compiled for the earlier machines with pin counts, lengths, etc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-new-data-east-ribbon-cables?tu=g-p-e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.