Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Is there any interest in a Ribbon cable set for the Data East DMD machines:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East
?

I'm looking into having the cables created to the proper lengths here in the united states with new gold connectors. There is a setup fee associated with the cable set; so I want to be somewhat sure I can recover my costs via interest.

Back in Stock as of 10/15/2016 at:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/index.php/cPath/28
DMD Display Cable #5795-10938-49
Sound Cable #5795-10703-39

#2 9 years ago

I would think so, a few years ago I had to order them from everywhere including one from Japan as no one carried the ribbon count....cant recall what one it was though, took months to get it!

#3 9 years ago

Sorry for my ignorance, but would these work in a BTTF? I always replace the cables on the games I buy as a pre-emptive repair. I don't like depending on 30 year old ribbon cables! If so, I'd take at a least one set.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from smoke:

I would think so, a few years ago I had to order them from everywhere including one from Japan as no one carried the ribbon count....cant recall what one it was though, took months to get it!

Well; they can be made to order obviously. In the past; I've simply crimped new connectors onto the old ribbon cable using an at home vice. It works; but I'm always concerned about not doing a proper job since I'm not using the correct tools to crimp the connector.

Quoted from robotron911:

Sorry for my ignorance, but would these work in a BTTF? I always replace the cables on the games I buy as a pre-emptive repair. I don't like depending on 30 year old ribbon cables! If so, I'd take at a least one set.

I feel the same to be honest. Those IDC ribbon cables always give me pause when I look at them. I've seen some of the other connector technologies age in a bad way... but haven't specifically seen a known bad cable on my end. I am tracing a DE Star Trek issue right now; but I don't have a new cable to confirm it's the problem / culprit.

You'd have to open your machine to see if the cables look to be the same. I imagine the sound cable may be the same (20pin, 39 inches)... but the display cables would be different because of a DMD vs Alpha Numeric? Actually, I stand corrected. I took a quick look at the manual for BTTF on ipdb.org.
BTTF's display uses the same 26pin connector based upon the schematics. I'd still need you to confirm the length and it is indeed a ribbon cable.
CN5 on BTTF looks like the same 20pin connector as used on Star Trek.

#5 9 years ago

Back row of ribbon cables tend to go first -- normally due to people pulling on the cable rather than the plug (human nature to go the easy route). Usually one of the two back corners will go intermittent first.

Adding a strain relief will add life to the cable. Some cables don't have real good strain reliefs and they tend to come off (I'm looking at YOU - 3M). Many of today's IDC plugs need the strain relief installed as it is an integral part of the plug and helps hold the entire shooting match together. This includes the popular "FC" series plugs made by practically everybody. These are sold under a myriad of part numbers - look for "FC26" (26 pin) or "FC20" (20 pin) on back under strain relief. Keying is not required for any of these plugs - none of the manufacturers used keyed sockets.

Making ribbon cables is not difficult but is a time consuming task. Helps tremendously to have the correct tools --> platen type ribbon cable cutter and a good 3M ribbon cable press with proper platen.

#6 9 years ago

I originally requested the cables have Strain relief and a perm pulltab; I need to verify the quote is per my request - because I don't see them listed in the assembly.

#7 9 years ago

The original price quoted didn't include the Strain Relief or Pull tab. Expecting a new quote today sometime.

#8 9 years ago

Sweet.

#9 9 years ago

Yup! I'd be down. be good for the checkpoint restore

#10 9 years ago

I'm about 90% the same cable set would work with Time Machine - Phantom of the opera. I looked at Playboy 35th and uses the same CN5 26 pin connectors. The sound board has the same number of pins. The question is on the lengths of the cables.

Can someone with one of these 7segment machines check the cable length for the display and report back if it's 49 inches?

Lethal Weapon3 appears to use the same cable sets for the 128x32 display; so I'm guessing that machine thru Tales from the Crypt would you the same cable set. The Who's Tommy doesn't seem have full schematics posted to IPDB so I cannot determine if it's drastically different.

Sega 1995 Mary Shelleys Frankenstein shows the same connectors even for a 128x64 display and the newer soundboards. I cannot tell from the backbox pictures if they are the same length.

Batman Forever seems to have the display cable routed in the middle of the backbox instead of the side - but the length looks to be similar to the 49inches I measured on DE Star Trek. No schematics on ipdb.org - so I cannot verify if the number of signals is correct.

At the moment the evidence seems to point to the same cable sets being used for nearly all of Data East's machines. Time-Machine thru Batman Forever. Can anyone verify?

#11 9 years ago

Ok. I ordered a small quantity of these cables and expect them to ship today to me.

These better-than-NOS cables will be gold connectors w/ Strain Relief and Perm PullTabs. They will also have 100% e-test at the manufacturer so should be good to install w/o issues. I do expect a slight price increase due to the extra features and the 100% etest requirement. Assembled/Tested in the USA.

I'll test these on my DE Star Trek early next week and hope to have them up on Pinball-Mods.com by next weekend.

#12 9 years ago

These cables arrived today and have been tested to work perfectly in my DE Star Trek. It fixed a random audio sample problem I had which G-P-E so eloquently identified in post #5 above.

InStock at:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/index.php/cPath/28
DMD Display Cable #5795-10938-49
Sound Cable #5795-10703-39

#13 9 years ago

Richard - your cables shipped today via USPS. Thanks!

#14 9 years ago

Awesome - order placed!

#15 9 years ago

Order placed!

Cheers,
Gavin.

#16 9 years ago

Andrew, Gavin ... your orders shipped today. Many thanks!

#17 9 years ago

Just ordered one hope it helps with my time machine crazy sounds problem

#18 9 years ago

Can someone confirm whether or not the DMD cable with work in R&B? I have a R&B project that is missing this, and I'll order if its the right length.
Thanks,
Dan

#19 9 years ago

Ordered for my Hook, thanks for doing these.

#20 9 years ago

nice. Hopefully i'll remember this option when I need one.

#21 9 years ago

Recently I'm starting to put fresh ribbon cables on every game I own or sell. Just not worth the weird things that could happen with loose ribbon cables. When you see how much tighter the new cables are compared to the old ones it becomes obvious. I like the way Ed from GPE sells them in sets specific for the game so you don't have to match them up 1 at a time like on some parts sellers websites. Don't know why he never did D.E games but I'm glad their available now. I find many bad cables associated with Data East games mainly on the DMD, seems when the batteries leak, they leak on top of the DMD area.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcadedl:

Can someone confirm whether or not the DMD cable with work in R&B? I have a R&B project that is missing this, and I'll order if its the right length.
Thanks,
Dan

Sorry - don't own the game.
Electrically; it should work - I examined the schematic and the pins match.
Length wize; it may be a little long or a little short. But;
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=23&picno=27986
looks like the identical routing as my DE Star Trek.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from thunderstorm:

Just ordered one hope it helps with my Time Machine crazy sounds problem

In general; I usually don't recommend a shot gun approach like this.
In my specific case; I had analyized the problems I was having. I just had the PIA replaced at TPF'14 last year because the DMD stopped working. Then after I re-capped the soundcard; I knew it wasn't a power rail problem in the soundcard. So I naturally suspected the Ribbon cable in my game.

I hope it fixes your problem; tho.

Thunderstorm and Adydar the post office has your cables. Thanks for your order.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Recently I'm starting to put fresh ribbon cables on every game I own or sell. Just not worth the weird things that could happen with loose ribbon cables. When you see how much tighter the new cables are compared to the old ones it becomes obvious. I like the way Ed from GPE sells them in sets specific for the game so you don't have to match them up 1 at a time like on some parts sellers websites. Don't know why he never did D.E games but I'm glad their available now. I find many bad cables associated with Data East games mainly on the DMD, seems when the batteries leak, they leak on top of the DMD area.

I had considered DE ribbon cables in the past but I don't have any experience with DE machines. Ribbon cables are so time consuming that I'm glad to see another person taking up this line.

#25 9 years ago

Don - your sound cable is with the post-person.

GPE, I'm not trying to step on your toes / take biz from you. Glad to see you don't appear to carry the DE cables. I'll try keep in mind not to carry Williams cables as yours seem to be fairly priced.

#26 9 years ago

Adydar, your Cable shipped today with the button mod you bought. USPS Pri 2day I think.
Thanks!

#27 9 years ago

MJW was kind enough to report back that the cables work great in a GNR. The lengths are correct per his measurements.

#28 9 years ago

Dude.

Thank you so much!!! the cable arrived today, i popped it in, fired it up and my Data East Time Machine is now working perfectly, who knew it was something as simple as a ribbon cable messing up all my audio cues and sounds.

Thanks for making this! you guys making all these parts is what keeps this hobby alive, and thank you for it!!!

Eric

2 weeks later
#29 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-rest-in-peace-nimoy-sale
10% discount with a matching 10% donation in honor of #LeonardNimoy to the COPD Foundation.

1 month later
#30 8 years ago

Zitt - just ordered two DE ribbon cables - DMD & Sound. Looking forward to getting them installed. My DMD is on again, off again - so I'm hoping the cable does the trick. The sound cable is just preventive maintenance.

I've got a DE Star Wars.

R.M

#31 8 years ago

I'll get them out in tomorrows mail.

#32 8 years ago

Pudealee and BlackJacker... I shipped your cables today. You should have them in a couple of days!

#33 8 years ago

Gerry; your Cable along with the WingLEDs are at the postoffice on the way to you.

3 weeks later
#34 8 years ago

Mike of Australia, your 4 cables will go out in tomorrows mail (Monday).

Everyone else; I'm down to one Sound cable... and two DMD cables. If you want one; please consider ordering the last set. I will eventually restock - but at the moment; I'm going to wait until I get a suitable number of "notify me" customers before I reorder.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm going to wait until I get a suitable number of "notify me" customers before I reorder.

Put me down for a complete set.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Mike of Australia, your 4 cables will go out in tomorrows mail (Monday).
Everyone else; I'm down to one Sound cable... and two DMD cables. If you want one; please consider ordering the last set. I will eventually restock - but at the moment; I'm going to wait until I get a suitable number of "notify me" customers before I reorder.

You da man John! These look super quality. My two Tommy makeovers will be grateful.

#37 8 years ago

TxJay... Your cables are at the postoffice

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

TxJay... Your cables are at the postoffice

Got them today! Thank you for the quick shipment. They look great!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Pudealee and BlackJacker... I shipped your cables today. You should have them in a couple of days!

Your super-quick shipping far outpaced my sloth-like initiative to install them. Hopefully this weekend. They certainly look solid, though, sitting on my desk.

Thanks!

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm going to wait until I get a suitable number of "notify me" customers before I reorder.

Put me down for a set, please!

#42 8 years ago

I'm currently out of stock on the sound cables...
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/product_info.php/products_id/34
and only one of the DMD cables.

I do not have any immediate plans on re-ordering stock; so if you are interested in sets or individual cables - please use the
"Out of Stock, Get notified when re-stocked" link
so that I can judge the demand.

3 weeks later
#44 8 years ago

Just ordered 3 vid...may need 2 more. Thx Zitt.

#45 8 years ago

Pinballocks and Richard - your cables shipped and are at the postoffice.

#46 8 years ago

Order placed!

#48 8 years ago

I'm looking at purchasing this kit. Is all the ribbons for a data east LAH? I just picked up this pin. Just want to make sure before I purchase. Thanks

#49 8 years ago

After looking at the link to the order website, it states it may work with a LAH. Has anyone used these for LAH before I purchase? Thanks

#50 8 years ago

No one has reported to me if they work or not. Electrically they will work; the only concerns are mechanically - IE if the cable(s) is the right length.

Look at:
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=23&picno=27986
and compare to your machine. If the routing of the existing ribbon cables in your machine is similar to the picture; it'll fit fine.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-new-data-east-ribbon-cables and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.