tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Refurbish kit for Bally/Stern 6 and 7 digit displays. Posted by acebathound (8 years ago)

Post #362 PCB Depopulation image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #363 PCB population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #364 PCB 5v population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #395 SMD pads to enable comma Posted by acebathound (7 years ago)

Post #439 PCB depopulation image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #440 PCB population image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #444 PCB Depopulated (Stern DA-100) Posted by eh97ac (7 years ago)

Post #446 PCB depopulated (Stern DA-300) Posted by dothedoo (7 years ago)

Post #469 PCB depopulated (Bally AS-2518-21) Posted by Cheddar (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 7 years ago

Great machine for showing these! Nitro is one of my all time favorites as far as art goes! Gameplay not so much!

3 weeks later
#272 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

As I said earlier, I really like the idea of being able to reuse the PCBs, especially since there are so many with bad class kicking around. I just wasn't sure if it would be worthwhile to pair it with a custom/new PCB since there already are drop-in display replacements available.
I do like the idea of those single-PCB displays, though. They look pretty slick.

A few things to consider here: First off I know Wayne's idea was to do something with a bunch of old dead displays he & other people have sitting around and that is great. We are all hoarders when it comes to dead stuff from machines and this will let something that is just trash otherwise be used again.

Second - most of us that love these classic old Bally & Stern machines have several around so even a $4 or $5 savings per display times 5 displays in a machine times 5 or 6 machines amounts to a fair amount of savings.

Third - as I understand things - Wayne's displays will use a good bit less power than most others on the market and will also be available with a bunch of color choices. Personally I love the blue but it is nice to have lots of choices.

And lastly - it is nice to see something close to original back in a machine instead of different mounting system (or what ever). I say the more people doing this stuff the better. It will keep cost down because of competition and also offer choices. Keep up the good work!

#276 7 years ago

Years ago (when I was a kid) Heathkit offered stereo amps & tuners for sale as kit or pre built. They too a ton of time to build and there was only 10% difference in price between the price of the kit and the price of pre built (about $10 at that time). But the kit form still outsold the pre built. Some people just like doing it themselves instead of buying something that is done already.

The "average guy" that likes to buy machines plug & play is not likely to be the guy interested in these. These will appeal to the guy that spends 50 hours to 100 hours bring a "junk" machine back from the dead. Those guys (me included) don't mind spending some time to save a little money and also enjoy the satisfaction of bringing something to life.

Personally I can't wait to make my old "junk" displays into something usable again. My plan is to buy as many cheap junk displays as I can find over the next few months and then once the final version of this kit is released buy a bunch of kits - make nice new displays for my machines - then sell my old working displays to get my money back. Doing things that way I'll basically have new LED displays in all my Bally machines for free. Working Bally displays seem to bring around $30 to $40 each pretty constantly. These kits look like they should cost around $20 per display and junk displays typically sell for about $5 each. So when I am done I could have LED's in my dozen or so Bally machines for free and might even have some cash left over. Pretty neat trade off for using some time I would likely just be wasting otherwise!

1 week later
#329 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I first should apologize in advance for what comes next,SORRY for my greed but...
I know your in the middle of this project and busy ,however,do you think you will be doing early Williams too? Or Gottlieb?
Go ahead kick me in the shin for rushing you!
Mike

Mike,

I am just curious about your question to Wayne for one reason - do Gottlieb displays ever really go bad? Or are you asking more because of the LED?

Williams might makes sense since I have had bad ones from Williams machines (more System 9 & 11 than the earlier displays -- since we don't do much with System 3 to 7 stuff) but I don't ever remember have a bad glass on a earlier Gottlieb and was just curious. In fact a few years back I bought a set of new display glass to have "just in case" and I have never used one.

#342 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I like the look but I also like the efficiency of LED. And I can't say I've ever had a Gottlieb display go bad,just needed a re-charge.
Mike

Mike,

I was just wondering because I thought maybe I was super lucky for once never having a bad Gottlieb display. Typically my luck isn't that good!

I love the look and color choices with Wayne's displays and Williams & Gottlieb would both be a great idea if possible? Poor Wayne - another project added to the list!

1 month later
#459 7 years ago

If you are not blown away by the pictures and how good these make old Bally machines look you should see them in person. Personally I love the blue (or white in a few machines) but matching colors to machine or backglass looks great also. By the end of the year all of our Bally machines will have LED displays in them. Once you have them in one machine you will not be able to stop yourself!

But the best part of using these is they don't cost you anything but time. It seems like everyone has dead displays around from these Bally machines. So by taking something out of your junk boxes and investing a few dollars and a little time you can have nice modern displays. Then if you sell off the good displays you pulled from your machines these things are basically free (or maybe even cheaper). That is hard to beat compared to paying around $300 to upgrade buying complete displays from one of the other sources. But if that isn't enough to make these something special you also are getting those old dead displays out of your way.

Making trash into something over the top nice just seems like a great idea all the way around!

#482 7 years ago

The thing with color is - what looks great one day might be different than what looks great later down the road partly because of your mood. That is the nice thing about using the filters instead of color digits. If sometime down the road you decide you want something different you can just change the filter if you start out with white digits.

Personally I have always loved blue so I tend to have a lot of blue in my life. But sometimes I burn out on blue and what something totally different. For years I always had blue cars but in the past 15 or 20 years I don't remember owning a blue car. Now that I am thinking about it I need another blue car!

Anyway - my plan is to make up some extra sets of displays - once I have a set in each machine - and then I'll be able to just change them out if I decide it is time for something different. I think it will be fun to change the look of some machines from time to time but overall so far blue is my favorite in most machines.

One thing for sure is I have seen enough of the original displays over the years that I doubt I'll use any that try to match the original displays. It is time to modernize some of my great old Bally machines!

3 weeks later
#534 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the price of dead Bally/Stern displays on EBay has gone up drastically since these kits came out?
BTW, I got my kits, just haven't found time to start the process.

Just like when CPR makes playfield and backglass for a machine. A small change it "what is" can make a big change in demand. One thing people don't seem to understand in a free market economy is demand sets the price. Regardless of what a seller is asking for something price is actually set by what a buyer is willing to pay. Now that "junk" displays are no longer junk price will go up for sure. But don't worry too much -- I am sure there are plenty of dead displays around -- from my experience likely about 20% of this style display are dead and that doesn't account for the ones sitting in "junk boxes".

I had thought about getting a bigger stock pile of "junk displays" before Wayne released these kits but it just never happened. Thankfully I am sure I have plenty of dead ones in project machines I have sitting for what I will need. But this is yet another reminder to think ahead when you know something is about to change. Buy when demand is lower and save yourselves some cash!

#548 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Blue on Centaur looks fantastic.
Stars made it into the game room. Here's an updated picture for your gallery. Six Million Dollar Man's stock displays are looking kind of drab in comparison.

The only down side I see to these displays is just that. Once you have them in one machine you will want them in all your machines! I have been hooked since I saw Wayne's first sample display in person.

What a great way to modernize these great old Bally machines. Some of my favorite pinball art is on Bally machines from this era. Now if there was only a way to modernize the sound on them!

#550 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

There is, but it'll run you well over $300 (pinsound)

Unless I am missing something it doesn't look like "pinsound" works for these earlier machines. Regardless it is hard to consider spending over $300 to improve sound on a $600 pinball machine. That is the nice thing about these display kits - for about $100 & a little time you can accomplish something that would otherwise cost you almost 3 times as much.

Anyway - maybe sometime down the road someone will come up with a cheaper sound board for these machines - until then I'll just keep loving the art and enjoying the pure & simple game play of these early Bally machines. But Nugent without music is one I will never own again! Love the backglass art but a music theme pin without music just doesn't cut it!

1 week later
#557 7 years ago

What happened here? I have been watching this topic as well as a few others on Pinside and things have gotten very quiet. Too close to Christams - too much other stuff going on to build displays - where has everyone gone? I am waiting to see more pictures of different color filters in different machines to get some ideas.

#569 7 years ago

That should be helpful to a good many people. Speaking from experience I know most of us are fairly lazy so having an easy way to find this information will be a huge help. One suggestion to anyone that has any other display revisions that are not listed on Pinitech's site. Let him now about them so he can add them to the list of revisions that exist. It is crazy how many time some of these companies made changes over the years!

2 weeks later
#595 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Just did the 1st drawing for a winner for the RETROFIT GALLERY CONTEST (that's what I'll call it from now on ). Everyone that submitted a photo prior to the announcement for the December contest was entered. Printed on a small slip of paper, folded up -- shaken in a small box (but not stirred) -- and my wife picked the winner. 24 entries in this first contest, many by GRNRZR hehe. Since there's 24 entries I picked 2 names.
Against all odds, and with only a single entry to his name..
The 1st winner for the pre-December drawing is:
SPIROAGNEW
The 2nd winner for the pre-December drawing is:
GRNRZR
Congratulations! Sending a PM to you guys so you can pick what style nvram you'd like & get me your address.
Since GRNRZR won this contest, I'll exclude him from the December contest (having any winners sit out 1mo so others have a chance of winning). So currently there are 0 entries for the December contest. Anyone that gets a photo submitted prior to Dec 31st will get an entry.. so if you're the first and only person to submit a photo you get a free nvram. Good luck!

It is very nice of you to be doing this! There is nothing like giving a little something back to your loyal customers. When I get a package with a little something extra in it I always remember the seller but typically it isn't anything more than a piece of candy, a pen, or something similar. Giving away $20 a month to one winner is much better than that piece of candy or a pen! (I sell online a lot so I realize not only are you giving away the prize you are also giving away the shipping cost).

Keep doing good things and it will keep paying dividends!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.