Topic Stats

• 759 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Wolffdp
  • Topic is favorited by 91 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 217 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DB8169_new.jpg
retrofit_foam.jpg
foam_lightblock.jpg
IMG_3133[1] (resized).JPG
ballystern_led_display_single (resized).jpg
tester1 (resized).jpg
tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG
IMG_4809 (resized).JPG
20170530_141157 (resized).jpg
20170517_182622 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Refurbish kit for Bally/Stern 6 and 7 digit displays. Posted by acebathound (3 years ago)

Post #362 PCB Depopulation image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (3 years ago)

Post #363 PCB population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (3 years ago)

Post #364 PCB 5v population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (3 years ago)

Post #395 SMD pads to enable comma Posted by acebathound (3 years ago)

Post #439 PCB depopulation image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (3 years ago)

Post #440 PCB population image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (3 years ago)

Post #444 PCB Depopulated (Stern DA-100) Posted by eh97ac (3 years ago)

Post #446 PCB depopulated (Stern DA-300) Posted by dothedoo (3 years ago)

Post #469 PCB depopulated (Bally AS-2518-21) Posted by Cheddar (3 years ago)

Post #505 Link to gallery of photos of sample installations Posted by acebathound (3 years ago)

Post #515 display and filter color options Posted by acebathound (3 years ago)

Post #530 install and review of steps with plenty of pictures Posted by RocketFromTombs (3 years ago)

Post #558 Promotional offer on orders Posted by acebathound (3 years ago)

Post #568 Link to all the board schematics Posted by acebathound (3 years ago)

Post #612 PCB Depopulation image (DA-300 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (3 years ago)

Post #630 Parallel Resistor locations on BALLY AS-2518-21 6-DIGIT Displays Posted by acebathound (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 3 years ago

in like flynn ace.

#43 3 years ago

I'm all over this when ready ace. Heck, I'd like to get some outgassed display boards to use these in custom games!

1 week later
#106 3 years ago

Next up, we need a solution for GTB Sys1 displays!

#111 3 years ago

If they are available I haven't seen them then (new) and would love a pm with link (SYS 1 displays). I was just sayin...

1 month later
#151 3 years ago

I still wish there was a more cost effective solution for Sys1. $250 for new display sets - well, that's half of what many are worth.

As for the LED/plasma/color thing, I'm on the side of being able to get matching replacements in whatever color. Heck, at a good enough price you could buy someone's outgassed displays and put in your desired color in a game.

#158 3 years ago

It's a shame Sys1s don't get more love. Frankly I find them as fun as most other games of the era at the end of the day. Not always do I feel this way. Sometimes I just wonder why they weren't as cool as some Bally's but then I get tired of playing those a bit and play the Sys 1's and enjoy them just as much. Nonetheless, they really don't sell all that well.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

These games have to be keepers if you want to dump a bunch of money into them. Its just a shame there is no cheap work-around for the System 1 CPU board. Operative word there being "Cheap".

amen

My favorite Sys 1s (that I've played at least): Genie, Hulk, Sinbad, JP

4 months later
#280 3 years ago

I was traveling and so completely lost track of this thread until just now and am a bit fracked at myself for having forgot to get on that damn beta list as I have a Stern needing two replacements and the perfect test vehicle! If you need any more beta testers, let me know.

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Out of materials right now. I was considering doing another PCB order but I may hold off until after the beta test & after I've had a chance to assess things myself. I've been a solid 3-4 weeks again with pulling the rest of the project together, packing up kits, working on some instructions, shipping out beta test kit orders this week. A bit exhausted to tell the truth and I'm planning on taking a bit of a break while the beta testing is going on. I'll be available to answer emails/PMs and will check this thread some, but otherwise will probably be laying low for a bit and not getting into any new projects.
If the beta test shows more demand for these, I have a lot of things to streamline to make it work. Material cost is quite high (40-50% of the price), packaging kits has been very time intensive. I didn't account for some materials like the mosfets that were later added, ziplock bags, etc. Shipping was underestimated for some packages because they all had to go Priority Mail due to weight & costs vary widely depending on what area of the US you ship to. Because of the sheer amount of materials per display set bulk orders of materials go very quick, but they're also bulky when they come in.
At this point I'm just happy-enough to get some kits out there for beta testing to see what people think & see if there's demand. From there, it's just going to depend on feedback, assessing all of the issues I've hit, looking at what could be streamlined more & then deciding whether there's some way to make it all work out in volume and still be profitable.

Thanks for the info, and crap...

I'd be happy with the digit units and the pcbs if you get those alone.

#316 3 years ago

I just wish I could get the displays and pcbs. I'd love sooner than later, but that's because I was in Europe instead of home when the beta started At any rate, I'll be happy when these are available again.

#398 3 years ago

Any way to get notice when the kits are ready? Missed out once and don't want to miss out again.

2 months later
#549 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

The only down side I see to these displays is just that. Once you have them in one machine you will want them in all your machines! I have been hooked since I saw Wayne's first sample display in person.
What a great way to modernize these great old Bally machines. Some of my favorite pinball art is on Bally machines from this era. Now if there was only a way to modernize the sound on them!

There is, but it'll run you well over $300 (pinsound)

1 week later
#571 3 years ago

I'm having no luck finding 7 digit pcbs or non working displays. Locally I've got a few people with 6 digit pcbs, but I need 4-7 digit pcbs

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I may have a couple for you, shimoda, maybe in Feb/March, if you cna wait that long. (I'm making a PCB of my own to replace my stern DA-300 boards to enable the comma *properly* (read: proper number format, not what Bally does in theirs..) in a Babcock glass. Once I get my boards made and glasses transferred over, I'll have four of them I won't need.

I probably will still need them by then I'm sure

#590 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hell, if my board works, and you really need some, let me know. I can probably get a few more boards made.

I would be willing to go that route, depending on board cost but I'm not imagining they'll be all that much depending on where you are having them made. Seems like this would be a worthwhile pcb to have made with led replacements available.

3 months later
#649 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I may have a couple for you, shimoda, maybe in Feb/March, if you cna wait that long. (I'm making a PCB of my own to replace my stern DA-300 boards to enable the comma *properly* (read: proper number format, not what Bally does in theirs..) in a Babcock glass. Once I get my boards made and glasses transferred over, I'll have four of them I won't need.

any chance you finished?

1 week later
#687 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

There is a 7-digit ROM for Meteor, and a few folks are working on a (better) 7-digit ROM for the game, and a couple other Sterns as well.

any chance roms for Nine Ball are part of that (not 7 digit, just maybe better code for the switches...)

#691 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The popular Paragon is in need of 7 digit displays too.

mine has only needed 7 digits twice

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside