tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Refurbish kit for Bally/Stern 6 and 7 digit displays. Posted by acebathound (8 years ago)

Post #362 PCB Depopulation image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #363 PCB population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #364 PCB 5v population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #395 SMD pads to enable comma Posted by acebathound (7 years ago)

Post #439 PCB depopulation image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #440 PCB population image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #444 PCB Depopulated (Stern DA-100) Posted by eh97ac (7 years ago)

Post #446 PCB depopulated (Stern DA-300) Posted by dothedoo (7 years ago)

Post #469 PCB depopulated (Bally AS-2518-21) Posted by Cheddar (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gianfri.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 8 years ago

Hi Pini,

I like your willingness in creating such an option, but I 'm a bit critic about the real market interest and result.
Why I'm telling you that?
Because I did the same for Zaccaria pinballs, I have produced a full set of PCBs for all Zaccaria Generations with which you can modify your original displays and you can buy them from me via Ebay or other sources.
20150904_191652_(resized).jpg20150904_191652_(resized).jpg

You find an example here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-zaccaria-led-displays

Where is the problem?
For a single display to modify I estimate 1h work in order to remove few resistors and create the 5v jumper and so on...
When you consider the economical investment, then you add on top that result is aesthetically not perfect, on a term of power consumption not the best, I'm not sure that this would be the best choice.
From my position I can tell you that I sold few of them but of course Zaccaria market potentials is not the same as Bally.

The PCB for the Bally 7 digits is more or less the same I made for Zaccaria because 7 digits display used the same Beckmann gas display.

Now I add something more, after producing the modification kits I produced the full led displays which are plug & play, nicely finished, with new features, brightness control, etc. etc. and there I found some important market interest, because not everyone has all that time to spend in applying modifications on 5 different boards.

Finally I exploited my experience with led displays and I built my first prototype for Bally/Stern and here you can see the Candidate Release of a new Bally LED display.

Why I'm saying all of this? Because I think you produce very nice tools and you have to keep doing that, but I'm scared you're putting a bit too many energies on this projects which comes after tons of LED displays for Bally available on the market and from all kind of prices. There are more or less 5 different producers for the same display model.

You were thinking of 100$ for a 5 displays kit, I don't know if with orange or red led displays.
You can find new led displays with orange leds from 30€/piece already assembled and ready to use.
As someone said before "Why would I do all this work to save few $$" ???
The new ones have also brightness regulation and low power consumption.
I think therefore that in order to gather market interest, the price of your kit should be much lower and justify the work needed and the missing new features.

Please take this post as my honest opinion and suggestion to you and not as a try to criticize your work.

Good luck for all your work
Gianfri

20160213_100918_(resized).jpg20160213_100918_(resized).jpg

#59 8 years ago

Could someone explain me how to activate email notifications on new replies? I could not find the option

Let's start from the point that we did exactly the same work, you for Bally and me for Zaccaria. We both wanted to recycle the old boards and that's just nice and green attitude.
This comes certainly from Leon's Borré researches from Belgium who already 10y ago produced the first LED modification guides for all the Pinball marchines (Bally, Zaccaria, etc so on).
You find the Bally project here:
http://home.scarlet.be/~cv006274/ledbal/eled.htm

Quoted from acebathound:

I'll let others be the judge of the pricing and whether it's worth their time. Personally, I think $90 for a set of conversion kits for 5x displays (in RED) or around $95-100 (in WHITE, that gives the ability of using led gels) is pretty fair. Your Zaccaria display conversion kits that you linked are 29 EUR (about $31.75) and I see you're selling those for 25 EUR (about $27ea) on eBay. How is $20 USD (or $18-19ea if buying a set) not low enough to gain market interest? Much lower and there's not much profit at all to go through the trouble of doing this kind of thing.

The question is correct and the answer is that if you take them in kit (non assembled) price is even lower but the main point is that on Bally market the difference between a complete display and the mod kit is smaller.

As I told you, but I will not publish any link to commercial websites unless you want it on private message, you can find new Bally Led Orange fully assembled and with brightness regulation displays as of 27,9€/piece and a full 5 displays set for 135€ (already assembled).
I cannot tell you more about unassembled kit but I'm sure you will agree that with the unassembled ones you'd get closer even if not as cheap as the modification kits.
That's why on my opinion the margins are too small but that's just an opinion and opinions have their objective limits.

Regarding Wolffpac, I must admit I don't like the final result therefore I'm not referring to this one in particular even if is one of the cheapest on the market but complex.

I'm not going to context your estimation in time, but for doing the Zaccaria ones, if you add resistors, jumpers, led to solder on PCB etc other small things you need between 45min and 1h. If you add on top of that that on Bally you also need to solder all the wirings from the PCB to the main board (I haven't understood if you also need to replace transistors) I don't think you're going for 20 mins.

Aesthetisc, yes, you're right, it's going to appear more or less the same, only the very expensive ones from rottendogs or xpin have special led digits with the funny comma on it.

For the power, when I tested it on my prototype, I had a bit less than 100mA per display, which is way more lower than 200 or 300mA. I'll test again with the new Release Canddate and let you know. Here you have a challenge
Zaccaria have 5A regulator which is really big, you can really play araound with it, Bally I don't know but it should be as you said 3A which leaves a bit less margins.

Btw, go haed, I don't want to stop you from doing this, I just want to warn you about some weak points I have learned from my direct experience.

Regards
Gianfri

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I was just checking out the Zaccaria conversion display pictures a bit more. It's actually quite remarkable to have arrived at a similar design on the one conversion display that requires connection via a plasma footprint. I didn't even notice that design until now, and that's the honest truth. But it looks like there was the same idea -- where recreating the plasma footprint 3.18 pitch footprint & having it so you'd use jumper wires between the displays. Then having screw-holes to allow for brackets to be used between the boards, that would both align the plasma footprints & add support. It's just interesting now that I see it.. how similar the thought was there.
I have had things like that happen before -- like my Bally "bench led display" where I thought I was doing something totally different with having a jumpers & momentary buttons to switch between the different players & credit/match. A year later I tripped across an old project page from Leon where he used a big rotary switch for something like that. It's really weird when that happens

that's my conversion kit for Beckmann Zaccaria board:
20150903_004931_(resized).jpg20150903_004931_(resized).jpg

and yes, you're right, we did almost the same things

#66 8 years ago

Hi pini,

first of all thanks for your nice words, I never tought you were copying my PCB and I 'm really surprised, like you, that we finally had the same idea. (Swear you didn't!!!)
Just one thing, I have produced the convertion kits in order to have them compatible with both soutions which was a challenge because you can use all of the conversion PBCs (they are 4 for the full Zaccaria family) either in the original modified boards or on the new electronic board I have developed.

The 7 digits PCB uses pins instead of wires because the original Beckmann module was soldered like that, there are no holes for the display leads on the 7 digits Zaccaria board, therefore I had to reproduce the way it was from factory.

Coming back to the Bally, sorry if I couldn't post it before but I was out all the day and now I have some more time since here in Europe it's 10PM.
Google was your friend and you found the right one, pinball.center.
I agree with you that the price is extremely competitive and it's funny how they made the comma out from the standard led display, but I like it and it's on my optinion much closer than the xpin or rottendog or pinled products
Btw, you can agree that the market is extremely saturated by those LED displays and I'm crazy enough to enter the same market with a new project for 6 and 7 digits.
But to be clear, I'm doing it for fun and hobby, not as a full business.

I will now go to my hobby desk and measure the consumption of the display in order to have a confirmation

talk to you soon.

#68 8 years ago

You're finally right! As soon as you recover your investment then the rest is just fun, I agree.

Quoted from acebathound:

It's surprising Zaccaria changed as many things as they did through the generations of machines (even just judging from connectors and displays). The board on the Zaccaria looked like it was snipped along the through-holes for the plasma display. I didn't realize that's how it was from factory. That seems odd!

They used initially the Valvo ZM1550 2 digits module in their 6 and 8 digits displays, then moved for a short period to the Beckmann 7 digits for only 5 different games and then back to 8 digits but from Philips (I think) with a new electronic board before trying the led display on their last machine before ending their activity.

Here you see my 7 digits display on both original and new electronic board:
20160305_003104_(resized).jpg20160305_003104_(resized).jpg
as you can see the pins are soldered like that only on the original board, the other board uses a different socket and the display has both options.

I have just tested and the new led display is between 40 and 70mA, depending if full brightness or not, with all led on and at 8 position which I think is very good.

PS
btw the most important thing is: how can I activare email notifications on new added posts?

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I'm going to finalize the led digit pcbs & get them sent off early this coming week. I'll probably just order 50x or so boards each of the 6-digit and 7-digit. And place some led digit & component orders as well. If all works out, I may have some boards in about 3 weeks. Here's hoping it works out the first time

You're quick!

One question, it looks ike you're using 0.8" 20mm width led digits, right?
Have you tried the 18.6mm width? They should better fit together and respect the 7 digits aspect. (6 digits do not have this problem because you have enough space in between)

#73 8 years ago

I fully understand you and I know how much time and money I spent in testing led digits samples before finding the good compromise price/aspect wise.

#78 8 years ago

I agree that your project matches more the real comma than the others on the market right now and I confirm that last year I got a proposal for a new digit mould for ONLY 1000$
They didn't specify how many I had to buy btw
For the MOQ 1000 pieces is just the starting level.

My amber digits for Zaccaria have been customized for the colour but of course I would never invest in a new mould. Doesn't make sense because nobody would pay a led display 20% more only for that!

Regarding the size I think that the original displays are more on 0,7" than 0,8, the problem is that led digit 0,7" doesn't exist. We should go into partnership and produce 0,7" led displays

#80 8 years ago

Something I haven't understood, why are you looking for white?

#105 8 years ago

I like the idea of the pads!

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

White LEDs can be filtered to any color.
So you could have red, orange, green, yellow - whatever fits the theme of the game.

I forgot to thank for the answer and I have the next question, is white or gel led display the same?

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

So it'd be easy to align using the corner of the led -- of course dimensions need to be exact like everything else with this project lol.

well, you can always suggest how to do and let brave people do it themselves because if you have to sxplode the budget for details then you really risk that the interest will be killed by the reality of the final price

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I think the decals will be cheap.. there are a few Pinsiders providing a service to create custom decals. A full sheet would probably fit at least 20x rows of 10x decals per row. Probably more than that even.. anywhere from 300-500x tiny decals per sheet. I don't know what the limitations are of size or number per sheet, but it's worth exploring. If it can happen, I'd probably include a few extra per display just in case they were torn during installation (since it seems if it's possible, they'd be somewhat fragile).

ok, perfect!

1 week later
#129 8 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I think I could make that happen, I know a guy that knows a guy
I've had some wacky thoughts of one-day event sales too -- like a "name your own price on a single item in your cart" sale hehe. I'm thinking that one would need some other stipulations if I ever did it. Just a hunch . Could do an Easter Egg hunt with having to search for a deeply discounted sale item in an odd place.. wrong page or part of an image.. Midnight Madness sale that only occurs for a few minutes when the clock strikes 12!

You're mad man!

I know a guy who knows a guy who would be interested in buying some memory testing tools... the problem is that it is not part of your own products therefore you cannot apply discount on those Pity!!!

1 week later
3 weeks later
#166 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I still wish there was a more cost effective solution for Sys1. $250 for new display sets - well, that's half of what many are worth.
As for the LED/plasma/color thing, I'm on the side of being able to get matching replacements in whatever color. Heck, at a good enough price you could buy someone's outgassed displays and put in your desired color in a game.

Well, finally there are going to be several options for those pinball machines.

The green pini's attitude, recycling old display boards and transforming them into led displays.
and
The (5 displays set) full led display boards from a starting price of 150$ up to 250$ (depending on what you're looking for as finishing options)

I think it's really reasonable and you finally have the choice.

On the "machines" selling point of view, my opinion is that you shouldn't replace the displays to led on a selling price point of view but more on your personal desire, therefore you should not count on that, when you like you spend for what you like, then we all probably know that we will never really get money back from all the hours we spend to repair, restore and maintain those machines.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The main reasons why LEDs surfaced was that the glass displays were failing and no longer being manufactured. A side benefit of LEDs is that they don't need high voltage, run cooler, and can come in different colors.
For Bally/Stern displays in particular, they are essentially two pieces--the glass and the PCB. The PCBs can usually be repaired, but the glass cannot. So, it makes sense to be able to reuse a perfectly serviceable component and save some money while doing it. I would be interested to see if the same thing would be possible with other types of displays (like system 3-6 master displays, allied leisure displays, system 11 displays, etc)
Color choices can be a personal preference, but replacing dead glass displays with LED displays can sometimes simply be necessary to bring the game back to life.

I think the main difference between modifying an old one or buying a new led one is on the complexity of the mods and on the final result. (moneywise as well)

We are all waiting for the show, to see what is going to be.

I have developped the same thing for Zaccaria, I know that there is some work to do as you would do anyway when assembling a new one but with Zaccaria I didn't really sell a lot of mods kits, probably also because the market is not the same, Bally has much much more machines around the world than Zaccaria.

3 months later
#222 7 years ago

Very good man!
the more you go the more it looks like my 7 digits project for Zaccaria

even the single pin right angle strip

Pricing looks ok and it seems you have thought about all it is needed for a good final result.

#227 7 years ago

Is it possible to place the additional resistor on the LEDs PCB? even for a second release of the PCB... it's an idea...

2 weeks later
#269 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is someone else with a 2-board LED design:
ebay.com link
http://www.wolffpactech.com/
And someone else with a single-board design (6-digit): ebay.com link » One Piece 6 Digit Bally Stern Pinball Led Display Replacement Orange Color

Yes, I confirm that there are now tons of full led displays available

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-interest-check-led-display-for-ballystern#post-3067895

ebay.com link: itm

And as I said previously the price difference is really tiny but I respect the green aspect of Wayne's project.

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Second - most of us that love these classic old Bally & Stern machines have several around so even a $4 or $5 savings per display times 5 displays in a machine times 5 or 6 machines amounts to a fair amount of savings.

Just quickly say that I don't know how much you evaluate your spare time, but if I save 30min per display with a new one which uses the same mounting style than the classic ones and minimum 2 hours per set it could still justify the 20-30$ difference if you don't have all this spare time. I'm paid 45$ per working hour (and have so many pinball machines to restore yet) so it's still winning spending more to spend less time on removing and soldering transistors.
IMHO

Quoted from acebathound:

Most people aren't going to be aware of the hundreds of hours spent "behind the scenes" by anyone creating things or what the driving motivations are. With these displays, it's not about competing with anyone or what's happened since 2011 as far as many other options being available. It's completing a goal that I've had for at least 5 years now, probably longer. Having something to show for literally hundreds of hours of research, development, time spent sourcing materials, contacting suppliers over the years. Putting something I feel is a solid product out there for others to enjoy.

You have all my respect for this because I fully understand you, sometimes it's just hours and hours to fix only the aspect, dimensions and little details that people do not see but which can make the final product very actractive and nice.

Every time you write I can see your motivation and your research in details.

I hope you'll finally have a success story on that more than mine on Zaccaria since I clearly see the difference between people going for the full display compared to the number of modification kits I have sold

Just to confirm what ForceFlow said, I can still like the new displays with same style but when I see such displays with that kind of innovative cheap design then I clearly say no, because you're just modifying the all head pinball structure.
PS those displays use a cheap led digit which doesn't even respect the beckmann width.

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

The "average guy" that likes to buy machines plug & play is not likely to be the guy interested in these. These will appeal to the guy that spends 50 hours to 100 hours bring a "junk" machine back from the dead. Those guys (me included) don't mind spending some time to save a little money and also enjoy the satisfaction of bringing something to life.
Personally I can't wait to make my old "junk" displays into something usable again.

That's just enough to motivate Wayne to go on and finish this product, I can only wish Zaccaria fans would love to do the same but it looks like we do not have enough time to do everything therefore sometimes we sacrifice something.

Something is sure, I would not ask someone to bring my old pinballs to life otherwise I would loose the fun of doing it

2 weeks later
#424 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I'm going to get another PCB order in within the next few days. Should have another handful of kits available then in a few weeks as long as some other materials come as well.

Here's a change I think will be good though. Just silkscreen, but hopefully will help with future "WTF is this?" thoughts on these boards..

A few other silkscreen changes on the back, but everything else is staying the same. I'll be identifying the COMMA/DECIMAL enable smd pads on the back of the 7-digit board to make that easier to locate too.

I'm constantly amazed when I see how much you can go into details, you really passionate in what you do and I really admire you on that.

I'm also concerned about details in the different layouts I have developped but you win with no doubts.

2 months later
#526 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

I agree, the blues are pretty close in person. The blue filters do have a couple advantages in my opinion. You can change the color if you want and the filters hide the digits well when the machine is off.

Nice pictures and nice results for all those kits.

Must admit that I would not hesitate with blue filters for the same reasons you explained:

- less blinding when on
- either when on or off you do not see the unused segments

congratz!

1 week later
#547 7 years ago

Try to put some foam strip on the upper side of the led module in order to block the light coming from above.

It will be even better!

1 week later
#559 7 years ago

Free bump!

Can I participate?

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As far as the US goes (maybe elsewhere? I dunno..), it's "100" then "1000" then "10,000". The first comma doesn't show up until you hit 5 digits. Bally's displays have it "1,000" and for some reason my OCD hates that. I figure that with an extra latch and logic, can hold the bit (checking C & E segments on the 5th digit like the Bally display) and then activate comma next time the 4th digit is on if needed.
Plus, gives me experience making PCBs.
Edit: Interesting. back when i was in school (late-80's, early-90's) that was the general rule. Now, it looks as though it should have commas for 4 digits and up. Wow, I must be getting old.

I was reading your idea and I think is going to be a bit difficult...
I explain why I think like that.
I'm already activating the comma on my displays using the C&E segments, the problem is that the digits are multiplexed and at the moment you get the C&E segments activated on digit 5 you are not powering digit 4 therefore even trying to connect the logic output from the compination of C&E to the comma of digit 4 you'll not light it up.

The only option I see it the have a memory status which stores the C&E condition while powering digit 5 and gives it the result to the comma pin only when this memory circuit gets the power signal from digit 4... funny for a personal project but is this effort worth the result?

Let me know if I'm mistaken

Addendum:
I was thinking while brushing my tooth and an easy solution would be to have an external led for the comma which would be powered by the common anode or catode of digit 5 but would be installed between digit 3 and 4
Acceptable solution?

2 months later
#637 7 years ago

Very nice work Wayne, you confirm how precise and accurate you are in your work, congratz!

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Why are you using parallel resistors?
Why not just replace the old ones?
Am I missing something?

I maybe can answer for him, parallel gets to almost the same values as directly replacing them but saves you quite lot of time in removing them. You don't need to desolder, just solder on the bottom and you get the same result. Very clever and clean I must admit

#640 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Of course, it does help to have a picture of an already-modified display to model off of otherwise it's a chore to find the pad locations and flip the board back and forth.

Right, but still a good option for unexperienced people with no desoldering tools.

I don't have the pictures with me but I would show you one ZAC modified board of a customer of mine, a total desaster with missing pads everywhere, the paraller solution can be helpful to avoid this

1 year later
#752 5 years ago

Hey Wayne, you're amazing

I understand your point and agree on the sums you made to get to the final price.

It's funny to see how you can compress the number of components we put in the same set of displays

DB8169_new.jpgDB8169_new.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gianfri.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards?tu=gianfri and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.