tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Refurbish kit for Bally/Stern 6 and 7 digit displays. Posted by acebathound (8 years ago)

Post #362 PCB Depopulation image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #363 PCB population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #364 PCB 5v population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #395 SMD pads to enable comma Posted by acebathound (7 years ago)

Post #439 PCB depopulation image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #440 PCB population image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #444 PCB Depopulated (Stern DA-100) Posted by eh97ac (7 years ago)

Post #446 PCB depopulated (Stern DA-300) Posted by dothedoo (7 years ago)

Post #469 PCB depopulated (Bally AS-2518-21) Posted by Cheddar (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#447 7 years ago

Wait, how come your DA-300 is blue? All mine are white!

1 month later
#573 7 years ago

I may have a couple for you, @shimoda, maybe in Feb/March, if you cna wait that long. (I'm making a PCB of my own to replace my stern DA-300 boards to enable the comma *properly* (read: proper number format, not what Bally does in theirs..) in a Babcock glass. Once I get my boards made and glasses transferred over, I'll have four of them I won't need.

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

What's the proper number format? Do tell!

As far as the US goes (maybe elsewhere? I dunno..), it's "100" then "1000" then "10,000". The first comma doesn't show up until you hit 5 digits. Bally's displays have it "1,000" and for some reason my OCD hates that. I figure that with an extra latch and logic, can hold the bit (checking C & E segments on the 5th digit like the Bally display) and then activate comma next time the 4th digit is on if needed.

Plus, gives me experience making PCBs.

Edit: Interesting. back when i was in school (late-80's, early-90's) that was the general rule. Now, it looks as though it should have commas for 4 digits and up. Wow, I must be getting old.

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

I was reading your idea and I think is going to be a bit difficult...
I explain why I think like that.
I'm already activating the comma on my displays using the C&E segments, the problem is that the digits are multiplexed and at the moment you get the C&E segments activated on digit 5 you are not powering digit 4 therefore even trying to connect the logic output from the compination of C&E to the comma of digit 4 you'll not light it up.
The only option I see it the have a memory status which stores the C&E condition while powering digit 5 and gives it the result to the comma pin only when this memory circuit gets the power signal from digit 4... funny for a personal project but is this effort worth the result?
Let me know if I'm mistaken
Addendum:
I was thinking while brushing my tooth and an easy solution would be to have an external led for the comma which would be powered by the common anode or catode of digit 5 but would be installed between digit 3 and 4
Acceptable solution?

I'm learning circuit design, so comments are welcome!
I was going to use a latch chip (similar to.. a 74HC373). The comma enable would be one input, latch enable would go high on digit #5, capturing the status of the comma (on/off). Output Enable would be tied through an inverter to digit #4. So, when digit #4 is getting driven, it would enable the output that was latched when #5 was being driven to determine comma status.

Again, however, I'm not a circuit designer, so.. I could be horribly wrong.

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I probably will still need them by then I'm sure

Hell, if my board works, and you really need some, let me know. I can probably get a few more boards made.

1 month later
#617 7 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Yeah, who would have thunk it?
Put them up on eBay this morning for a little bit more to cover fees. Haven't sold on there for awhile. Can't believe it's up to 10% plus add on PayPal also. Sheesh.

Is it just the glasses, or the complete display? I need some glasses.

2 months later
#683 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

How about Stern games? Oliver's page mentions a divide by 10 for METEOR. Same 4555 setup for that?
Just trying to get an idea of things here..

There is a 7-digit ROM for Meteor, and a few folks are working on a (better) 7-digit ROM for the game, and a couple other Sterns as well.

#688 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

any chance roms for Nine Ball are part of that (not 7 digit, just maybe better code for the switches...)

I haven't heard anything, since I don't have one of those games. But, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a couple working on stuff..

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.