tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Refurbish kit for Bally/Stern 6 and 7 digit displays. Posted by acebathound (8 years ago)

Post #362 PCB Depopulation image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #363 PCB population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #364 PCB 5v population image (Stern DA-100 Rev C) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #395 SMD pads to enable comma Posted by acebathound (7 years ago)

Post #439 PCB depopulation image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #440 PCB population image (Bally AS-2518-15) Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #444 PCB Depopulated (Stern DA-100) Posted by eh97ac (7 years ago)

Post #446 PCB depopulated (Stern DA-300) Posted by dothedoo (7 years ago)

Post #469 PCB depopulated (Bally AS-2518-21) Posted by Cheddar (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

yeah I am in for this! I would like multiple color options on the LED if possible.

1 week later
#97 8 years ago

I'd be willing to coordinate a group by in norcal to help cut fees and shipping costs

1 week later
#122 8 years ago

I'm down for 4x 7 and 1x 6 all in white with blue filters (if you sell filters too). Should look awesome in Xenon

#125 8 years ago

I personally would love a sale on the bally bench display. It can be difficult to use the switch tester in the cab when you can't see the displays!

#127 8 years ago

How about a rockin deal for all the kits in a category?

2 weeks later
#144 8 years ago

seriously looking forward to these.

1 week later
#148 8 years ago

yes but LED displays remove the need for a HV section and come in matching colors.

#150 8 years ago

So while we're waiting for these I think it would be cool to have a technical discussion about preparing old displays for upgrade when the glass doesn't work.

Will it be safe to troubleshoot a board with the leds attached or can the decoder be tested on the bench?

Any ideas?

#161 8 years ago

ok good info. I guess it would be easy to test the resistors and transistors on the bench and then I only have the decoder to worry about.

4 weeks later
#178 7 years ago

I am sure I have one. Let me dig through the pile

#183 7 years ago

DA300 if you like I can priority it to you

IMAG1617_(resized).jpgIMAG1617_(resized).jpgIMAG1618_(resized).jpgIMAG1618_(resized).jpgIMAG1619_(resized).jpgIMAG1619_(resized).jpg

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

May take you up on that & possibly grab a few other displays from you too!

Just leave me enough 7s to do my xenon

1 month later
#194 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Stern DA-300 successfully tested thanks to the donor from Cheddar =]

Did the board work as-is or did you have to fix it first?

1 week later
1 week later
#243 7 years ago

I bought a box a non working displays a couple months ago. It was more expensive to ship 27 displays than to pay for them

#252 7 years ago

Looks sharp! Those white digits are going to look great in centaur

#258 7 years ago

Anybody in Northern CA and Central Valley having desoldering issues let me know. I have the hakko and can pull components for the wary

1 week later
#285 7 years ago

Got my kits, I'll try and throw one together tomorrow!

#287 7 years ago

In the middle of converting a Bally 7 digit to LED

Here's is the donor board with the components removed.
IMAG1810 (resized).jpgIMAG1810 (resized).jpg

Repopulated
I need to work on getting the components to stay flat. NOTE: I moved the jumper to the bottom of the board for clearance.
IMAG1812 (resized).jpgIMAG1812 (resized).jpg

LED BoardIMAG1817 (resized).jpgIMAG1817 (resized).jpg
I used recycled leads instead of the included header pins. I missed that instruction the first time.

Final ResultsIMAG1816 (resized).jpgIMAG1816 (resized).jpg

Note exposure reduced for clarity. I chose the default resistors for brightness

#289 7 years ago

Can you give extended instructions on enabling the commas. I'm not understanding the ones in the guide

#292 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

For the resistors you might find one of those cheap lead formers handy. I've gotten pretty good at sizing resistor bends on my fingertip.. and swiping down with the opposing hand's index finger & thumb to bend the leads. I usually find a good place on my finger to set the resistor and get a consistent bend.
For the mosfets, I first bend the middle lead back at a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the mosfet body. Then the two outer legs get bent forward at a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the mosfet. Then put your 90 degree bend on the front legs maybe 1/4" from the mosfet body. Leave the middle lead as it is.. and put the middle lead in the footprint hole first.. push it in most of the way, then fit the 2 front leads in their footprint hole. I'll try to document that better at some point. A bit hard to explain without a few pictures

No this makes sense although I would just do the bend in the middle leg. I'll try this on the next board

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Looks like you already have the "COM" signal wired between the LED digit panel & plasma footprint.
If you then bridge the smd pads on the back of the digit panel (see picture below) the decimal should then light.

Thanks!

#298 7 years ago

Can you give us an average time estimate? Did you do the full component removal?

#301 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

How have you all been dealing with those bent over resistor leads on some boards? Any tips there?

Bench grinder?

#314 7 years ago

yeah I am in for more kits. I've got 2 done and 2 7 digits stripped and ready to repopulate.

I had the chip bad on my last display and it caused all of my displays to only display 2 segments whenever the display was plugged in. This might be a good addition to the issues section.

My only suggestions on the kits so far:

1. Pic of the comma enable pads and com
2. Label the resistors on the tape
3. Clarify the nylon washer goes on top of the board (7 digit bally)
4. On Bally 7 251858 R62 is labeled in a weird place and it's possible confuse it with R61 (and it looks like it might be the label for R29). It would be cool to call this out in the doc

5. Bench testing these is a pain. Could you offer a harness to connect to a PC power supply? It would cover pins 10-20 and have an alligator clip for the digit lines. I'll see if I can make one today.

I'll tinker around with the header pins as well. That's the only other PITA I can see.

#317 7 years ago

played around with setting the header pins. there is enough clearance to set them with the board mounted
2016-09-01 14.06.21-2 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 14.06.21-2 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 14.06.31 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 14.06.31 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 14.06.45 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 14.06.45 (resized).jpg

#320 7 years ago

made a test harness and it works great

2016-09-01 15.44.28 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 15.44.28 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 15.48.07 (resized).jpg2016-09-01 15.48.07 (resized).jpg

it's hard to see but I crimped a lead into pin 12 to allow the seventh digit to be lit

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

The end result when all those right-angle header pins are soldered in looks pretty nice I think.

agreed. much better finish. If you make another run can you make those holes slightly bigger?

#330 7 years ago

I would also be interested in a williams conversion set. The display boards are dead simple. Solder on the digits and the pins. The master would need multiple variants for digits, alpha and early with integrated master

#337 7 years ago

all done, they look great. Maybe should have gone a step down in brightness2016-09-02 10.29.31 (resized).jpg2016-09-02 10.29.31 (resized).jpg

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Those are actually WHITE digits being used as WHITE in Centaur. I think the camera just couldn't handle how bright they were and did this blue aura thing Ghostly!

They look great in person

#346 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wow, that's crazy!
Is that from a cellphone or a real camera?

cell phone.

#375 7 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Am I the only one that used the old plasma leads? I wonder why, it was pretty simple.

4 of my boards already had the glass removed. I removed the glass from the 5th for consistency

#389 7 years ago

I used the foam it it helps a lot. I didn't use any of the 2N5401s. 5 displays later now I have a whole bunch of them

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Here's one, lower amperage on the input.. but also only 30mA available on the output. Not sure how much the plasma displays need, I don't think much though.

The fuse is only an 1/8th amp

1 month later
#465 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Playboy might look nice with MAGENTA, BLUE OR PURPLE. RED too. Like I said, if you really get looking at things many backglasses work with many colors.
Again these are just mock-ups.

How could playboy not have pink?

#469 7 years ago

AS-2518-21 Depop pics2016-10-28 09.00.23 (resized).jpg2016-10-28 09.00.23 (resized).jpg2016-10-28 09.00.31 (resized).jpg2016-10-28 09.00.31 (resized).jpg

#470 7 years ago

Ugh, the -21 boards love to have the pads lift.

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Were the -21s the first single-sided boards you modified?

At least 1 of them had some repairs before they decided the glass was bad.

#484 7 years ago

Red looks hot in that strikes and spares! Yellow is really unique though and has wow factor as you never see yellow.

1 week later
#501 7 years ago

Built a set of displays for a buddies Embryon. They look great.IMG_20161111_210601 (resized).jpgIMG_20161111_210601 (resized).jpg

Chose to leave them white as it looks better than the blue.

#503 7 years ago

That's a good call. They are bright but in person, not too bright.

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Love these kits, so easy especially after a couple of completed boards.
Some tips for newbs and issues I ran into...all my issues
Take a pic of the 1st de-populated board, top and bottom....helps out with the next board in line.
New header pins (minus pin#1 ) solve issues....trust me.
Extra large solder blobs are bad, check your work.
Missing 1 solder point is bad, check your work.

All good advice. I did all 5 boards at once:
Depop
1 value resistor on all 5 boards
Etc...

#527 7 years ago

I like the idea of neutral filters. Maybe an add-on to include them with the kits in addition to other filters. I'd like to add these to my Centaur

1 week later
#545 7 years ago

I like the blue in Centaur as it matches the Guardian inserts.

1 week later
#562 7 years ago

Hey here's a tech support request:

I have one segment (C) out on the 10s digit The segment driver and the decoder have been replaced. Using a test harness the same segment is out on both digits when I put 5v to pins 4&5 and 5&6. In gameplay only this digit has the segment out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Is that for a 7-digit Bally display? Asking since the comma circuit gets activated based on Segment C and E being activated, so the comma circuit is a possible suspect for issues with those segments.

Sorry it's just a 6 digit. Looking at a resistor that tests at 150K in circuit when it should be 300K. Trying to find the schematic for this display as well.

#566 7 years ago

It's a -21. I found a PDF online. Thanks for the offer

#582 7 years ago

Loving the yellow digits!

My buddy did a set for stern galaxy admit looks great in blue!

1 month later
#618 7 years ago

Here's stern galaxy with blue filters. I think it looks awesome

IMAG2122 (resized).jpgIMAG2122 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#627 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

And January's RETROFIT GALLERY CONTEST winner is...

Congrats! Let me know what type of nvram you'd like via PM!
Kind of funny, I went to pick the name myself this afternoon and picked "Cheddar", but then figured since my wife has picked all the winners for contests I better let her pick. She also picked "Cheddar"

Who wouldn't?

1 month later
#642 7 years ago

Completed a 6 digit set for a friend and here's a pic of it in Bally Space Invaders. Looks great!
SpaceInvaders (resized).jpgSpaceInvaders (resized).jpg
I am working on a 7 digit set to upgrade a Bally Viking. I plan to do it in purple! I'll post pics when it's done.

#644 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Looks nice! Are those staying WHITE then? White looks decent on its own in a lot of machines.

I gave him a set of neutral filters but he likes this better. I haven't been able to put the filters on centaur either. The white just POPS!

Quoted from acebathound:

Oh purple will be awesome, definitely get some pictures! Lacking a ton of color options in the RETROFIT GALLERY. Thanks for submitting some photos and helping to fill it up

Purple and a 7 digit conversion. I am looking forward to it. I even had a little pcb printed for the conversion (based on a pinball4u design), so it's been a cool experience!

2 weeks later
#653 7 years ago

The colors are wrong and I need to finish 4 displays but I have converted my Bally Viking to 7 digits and using LED conversion displays.

Next up: purple filtersIMAG2302 (resized).jpgIMAG2302 (resized).jpg

#655 7 years ago

I'm on my 5th conversion with the 6th in line. I could see my self buying more 6 digit kits. For 7 digit I will probably by the full kit from you.

#664 7 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

I'll be in for a set of 6 digit displays as a full kit. I don't want to destroy five fully working displays to do the conversion. If I had five 6 digit pcbs laying around...
When I did the 7 digit conversion kit the donor displays had issues so that was an appropriate way to recycle them.
Eric

Eric I have some 6 digit boards I'll sell you.

1 month later
1 month later
#722 6 years ago

The new kits and the tester look sweet! Count me in when they are available

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.