tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 766 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.
#651 7 years ago

Working on Bally 6-digit conversions with this kit at the moment. Donor boards were all bad -21 with multiple issues. Have the kit installed, now just need to troubleshoot various issues I'm having with them (most appear to have bad 4543's and a few bad 2N5401's) but I suspected going in that I would have some other repair work to do after installing this.

I took some pics along the way, including masking and painting the LED digit assemblies black as my first step. I've purchased after-market LED displays before and don't care for the white sides of the digit assemblies being visible or having to deal with foam trying to hide that. Now that I've got them assembled they have a nice clean look when installed. Once I finish the needed repairs I'll have to post pics.

#652 7 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

What else would be needed to take a 6-digit Stern or Bally donor board along with a Pinitech 7-digit kit and make a 7-digit display? I might not have enough 7-digit donor boards to complete my conversion of four 7-digit displays, but if 6 digit donor boards could be used...

For using a 6-digit component board with a 7-digit panel, PIN #12 at J1 on the display needs to be isolated (cut trace that is connecting it to PIN #11) so there's not the contention with the blanking signal. A jumper then ran between PIN #12 & an aux board with 7th digit driver circuit on it (a level shifter, couple resistors, 2n5401 digit driver). That board would also need +5v / GND jumpers to it as well so the level shifter and digit driver could do their thing. The emitter of the 2n5401 would then get tied to the 7th digit pad on the 7-digit led panel.

Determined there's not a really clean way to do this that doesn't involve running additional jumpers or cutting that trace. There's a few ways I'd thought of doing a small aux board. Not saying any of these ways are going to happen, just thoughts surrounding it all.

1. Piggy-back at the J1 header since VCC, GND and you can split PIN #12 without having to cut any traces that way. Downside is, this gets costly with .156 Molex parts just to pick up a few signals & not sure people are going to want to pay an additional $5-8 per display for that type of kit. A wire jumper would still need to be soldered over to the digit panel's 7th digit pad.

2. Small narrow SMD board that gets soldered to the .156 J1 solder pads on the bottom of the board at PINS #12 (7th digit), #13 (GND) and #20 (VCC)... thinking finger-board style pads near the edge of the pcb. Could probably tack with hot-glue or use double-sided tape on the pcb. It'd probably hold with the solder joints alone. It'd have SMD components for the 7th digit circuit... and you'd then just need to route a wire over to the plasma pin for the 7th digit that's hopefully otherwise unused on a 6-digit component board. Alleviates cost of Molex part, but then at the expense of having to solder SMD parts. Another issue there is, no 2N5401 in smd packaging that I'm aware of. Would have to use a different PNP part available in SMD.. could present some issues there depending on voltage drop / transistor gain of the sub'd part & matching the other digit drivers.

Heck, you could roll-your-own with perf-board too or maybe wire all the components up off each-other old-school style

Not sure any of this is a worthwhile pursuit though, didn't seem to be much interest and/or viewed as "why bother" when I last brought it up.

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
NVRAM, kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#653 7 years ago

The colors are wrong and I need to finish 4 displays but I have converted my Bally Viking to 7 digits and using LED conversion displays.

Next up: purple filtersIMAG2302 (resized).jpgIMAG2302 (resized).jpg

#654 7 years ago

Are these conversion kits something people would like to see continue to be offered going forward? Just curious to get feedback there. Noticing lighter interest in recent months, not sure if that indicates people have moved on toward alternatives or most people with displays to convert have already done so.

I'll probably do one more PCB run for this year & then gauge further interest based on sales for the remainder of 2017. If interest remains light, I'll just figure most people would rather build the full kits than save $50 or so per set on these conversion kits. Good thing I'm working on a full kit myself now that I'm sitting on thousands of LED digits

---

#655 7 years ago

I'm on my 5th conversion with the 6th in line. I could see my self buying more 6 digit kits. For 7 digit I will probably by the full kit from you.

#656 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Are these conversion kits something people would like to see continue to be offered going forward? Just curious to get feedback there. Noticing lighter interest in recent months, not sure if that indicates people have moved on toward alternatives or most people with displays to convert have already done so.
I'll probably do one more PCB run for this year & then gauge further interest based on sales for the remainder of 2017. If interest remains light, I'll just figure most people would rather build the full kits than save $50 or so per set on these conversion kits. Good thing I'm working on a full kit myself now that I'm sitting on thousands of LED digits
---

I'd wait to see what happens after each of this year's big shows. I assume there's usually an uptick of parts being ordered as people prepare games to sell or make new acquisitions.

Maybe it's also time to start thinking about an accompanying low-cost logic board? I'm not sure how much interest there would be with 3-4 other LED options already out there, though.

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe it's also time to start thinking about an accompanying low-cost logic board? I'm not sure how much interest there would be with 3-4 other LED options already out there, though.

I asked the same thing. Ace indicated he was only interested in the green aspect of recycling the old boards. The post where I ask is buried back in this thread somewhere. Also I think people find kits fun to assemble. Gives them a way to mod their game and feel proud about pulling off.

A pcb that mounts like Hudson Arcade's idea would be simple to make. But I guess there is enough repro options out already the market is pretty tight. I havent added up the BOM or looked at what kind of off the shelf LED digits are available.

#658 7 years ago

Due to unavailability of the core pcbs, I am in for a set of 7 digit complete kit in blue. I want to do my EBD and will help you use up those blue LEDs but don't have any dead 7 digit displays.

#659 7 years ago

I need to order a few sets, I just haven't had the time to nail down exactly what I need.

#660 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I asked the same thing. Ace indicated he was only interested in the green aspect of recycling the old boards. The post where I ask is buried back in this thread somewhere.

Well, I'm green with the conversion boards. But I am and had always planned to work on a FULL DISPLAY KIT since I started screwing with displays back in 2010. Just posted a sneak peek not to long ago here of what I'm working on. Targeting end of April on a full display kit if all pans out. They'll be priced right, they'll look nice and work well.

Quoted from barakandl:

A pcb that mounts like Hudson Arcade's idea would be simple to make. But I guess there is enough repro options out already the market is pretty tight. I havent added up the BOM or looked at what kind of off the shelf LED digits are available.

BOM and component sourcing is one thing, but the absolute easiest thing to do with PCBs is just to take what's out there that's already been done and assume it's a good design -- throw it into CAD and pump out products. That's not my intent here. I spent a lot of time load-testing on Bally machines before I did these conversion kits because there was speculation on whether the Bally machines with 3A regulators could handle the additional load. Along with helping me work toward an efficient circuit with old-school tech for the conversion displays, it opened my eyes to some things -- mainly that even popular aftermarket displays sold for years have some design issues or just aren't as energy-efficient as marketing hype claims.

Some examples..

BRAND "A" DISPLAY
Transistor gain issue that causes very high current usage per display (over 250mA per display). Brightness resistors also very low to pump brightness to the max since the displays are multiplexed.. again adding to high current usage. Best to not connect this one at the bench with signals faked without a current-limiting supply or you'll burn the leds out. Need the aid of the multiplexing while in the machine to pulse the current and prevent burn-out.

BRAND "B" DISPLAY
Brightness resistors set more reasonable here, around 24mA per segment, but the source driver IC can supply only 70mA max across its rails. This means the more segments that are lit, the less current available per segment. 7 segments lit = 10mA max per segment. Display is pretty energy efficient because it's limited by the IC max current, but also dimmer because of the current-limit occurring.

BRAND "C" DISPLAY
Energy efficient if set at a reasonable brightness, but brightness turned fully up and it's measuring 125-150mA per display. Depends on the user to adjust display brightness down a bit to achieve better efficiency.

Even some of the kits out there aren't that great IMO. Recently noticed that one of the kits seems to be an exact-match for another company's board layout/design.. so unless there's private labeling going on there it explains a few things. Interesting though in that it appears there are no current-limiting resistors for the led segments & if that's the case, the design relies on lowering voltage to the leds & multiplexing to "regulate" current to the leds. I've seen discussion of these types of circuits where people want to eliminate extra resistors & unless brightness is set around the forward voltage drop of the led, it'll be over-driving components and/or the leds. And voltage is not locked just above forward voltage drop, since it's a "feature" to allow the end-user to adjust brightness. Hard to say how that type of design holds up. Another kit just uses too low a resistor value to remain all that efficient, but I suppose the linear regulator can handle an extra 700-800mA as many displays out there are adding somewhere around 0.75A-1A load to machines.

My point is, people are building what they see enough of the time.. not questioning it, not trying their own designs, not understanding circuits & the variables involved. If someone designing displays is asking why WHITE/BLUE leds will not light as bright as AMBER, that's "LEDS 101" -- basic stuff, that if you designed an entire display by yourself you would know right off the bat. There's voltage drops over a number of components and it's all part of the calculations for an efficient design or to explain why setting brightness a certain way isn't resulting in the expected current usage. It's pretty clear to me enough designs in PCBs are just getting copied and thrown into CAD without much thought. And again, that's the easy part. Reminds me of bad code that gets copied over and over, pulled off Google and used in mission-critical apps inside companies, because enough people just grab code and don't try to understand what it's doing.

#661 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Due to unavailability of the core pcbs, I am in for a set of 7 digit complete kit in blue. I want to do my EBD and will help you use up those blue LEDs but don't have any dead 7 digit displays.

Yeah that seems to be enough of the problem with the 7-digit sets. I've thought of a clever work-around involving a piggy-back at the J1 header on the MPU, just not sure it'll work yet If I can do something that far up the chain, it'd mean only having a single wire to route around to the various displays to bring over the 7th digit signal to the 7-digit led panels that were mounted to 6-digit component boards. May allow one other mod to be possible as well..

#662 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd wait to see what happens after each of this year's big shows. I assume there's usually an uptick of parts being ordered as people prepare games to sell or make new acquisitions.

At this point there's no way I'm not doing full kits...still sitting on most of the 15k digits I ordered end of last year and I don't plan to sit on them for the next 10 years

#663 7 years ago

I'll be in for a set of 6 digit displays as a full kit. I don't want to destroy five fully working displays to do the conversion. If I had five 6 digit pcbs laying around...

When I did the 7 digit conversion kit the donor displays had issues so that was an appropriate way to recycle them.

Eric

#664 7 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

I'll be in for a set of 6 digit displays as a full kit. I don't want to destroy five fully working displays to do the conversion. If I had five 6 digit pcbs laying around...
When I did the 7 digit conversion kit the donor displays had issues so that was an appropriate way to recycle them.
Eric

Eric I have some 6 digit boards I'll sell you.

#665 7 years ago

PM sent

#666 7 years ago

I would recommend continuing to offer the conversion kit and if you want a full kit as an option.

Personally I enjoy making those old display boards useful again, and it's certainly a nice option to have when evaluating a project machine where you have no idea the condition of them. I plan on ordering another conversion kit soon so I'll have an extra backup set on the shelf for when the next Bally project comes through - it's getting rare that I find one that doesn't have some type of display issues anymore.

#667 7 years ago

Might as well ask since it's been mentioned..

On a full kit, is there preference on single-board design versus the traditional 2-board design? I'm leaning toward a 2-board design out of the gate, at least for a DIY Kit. Not exactly a fan of seeing either components or solder points scattered around a digit panel myself.

#668 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Might as well ask since it's been mentioned..
On a full kit, is there preference on single-board design versus the traditional 2-board design? I'm leaning toward a 2-board design out of the gate, at least for a DIY Kit. Not exactly a fan of seeing either components or solder points scattered around a digit panel myself.

I've seen examples of both.

The single PCB version might look a little odd, but I think I might prefer it, since this approach makes sense since you're not using actual glass and don't need to separate logic from the display. There's fewer connection points since you wouldn't have to connect one PCB to another. And there's probably some cost savings by doing one PCB rather than two.

On the other hand, going with a new single PCB design means designing a new PCB, rather than potentially using the retro kit PCBs that you already have, and just making a logic PCB add-on.

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I want to do my EBD and will help you use up those blue LEDs but don't have any dead 7 digit displays.

That's been my problem, only one dead 7-digit display and I can't bring myself to convert working displays. I picked up a bunch at TPF untested, so I hope to have a few dead ones. One has a broken nipple so I'll be able to convert at least one.

There were LOTS of 6-digit displays there so I hope someone picked some up to convert.

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen examples of both.
The single PCB version might look a little odd, but I think I might prefer it, since this approach makes sense since you're not using actual glass and don't need to separate logic from the display. There's fewer connection points since you wouldn't have to connect one PCB to another. And there's probably some cost savings by doing one PCB rather than two.

Yep, I'm aware of 5 single board designs. A few that were sold in very low volume, many just in prototype stages. No idea who was first, doesn't really matter. But the advantage is eliminating the PCB, extra headers and possible right-angle brackets if the headers don't offer enough support. Amounts to *enough* costs that it's definitely on my radar.. even if just for boards sold fully assembled with SMD components on the back.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

On the other hand, going with a new single PCB design means designing a new PCB, rather than potentially using the retro kit PCBs that you already have, and just making a logic PCB add-on.

This won't be a problem. It'll be a completely separate design, no plans to have the conversion kit led panels mate with the component board.

#671 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

fully assembled with SMD components on the back

SMD components might scare away some folks, unless the boards were produced consistently in sufficiently large quantities.

Most people can't repair SMD stuff, so if something goes wrong, they are SOL.

#672 7 years ago

My motivation for complete 7 digit kits is based around 2 things:

1. Not wanting to destroy working plasma displays (already mentioned).

2. Being a cheap bastard and wanting the lowest possible cost.

So, since most of us know a single board approach would be the most cost effective, then that would be my vote. Original metal brackets can be stored in the bottom of the game for the purist down the line. IF you are sitting on 15,000 LED digits, you need to make additional products to help consume them.

I will be getting a Big Game and expect it to either be void of display boards, or at least loaded with faulty ones. I want to do it up in green!

#673 7 years ago

Okay, I've attached images of my Lost World with white LED conversion with amber filters. I didn't have the foam placed properly on a couple, and there is some bleeding through of other lights, but hey...
Another thing I meant to post earlier is a little short-cut I found while assembling - use the old displays as a form for bending the resistors - it works pretty well.
And I do hope you keep offering these. I know I have at least one machine currently that I will be ordering a kit for, I just have to decide if I want convert to 7 digit or stay with 6 digit (Embryon).
Anyway, thanks again for offering these! I really enjoy them.

-Brian

47DD6ED5-E5DF-445B-9C54-C71E99756127_zps23g1fkjk (resized).JPG47DD6ED5-E5DF-445B-9C54-C71E99756127_zps23g1fkjk (resized).JPG

84F138A1-DD4A-4F4E-B969-9E56920F95DA_zps5w8jfsr7 (resized).JPG84F138A1-DD4A-4F4E-B969-9E56920F95DA_zps5w8jfsr7 (resized).JPG

94E91D9B-C7F9-4DFB-96A8-831731210AEC_zpsevmdo72u (resized).JPG94E91D9B-C7F9-4DFB-96A8-831731210AEC_zpsevmdo72u (resized).JPG

328E7C10-2C00-4C96-81FF-1D40A6F5F0E7_zpsnqfs6mt2 (resized).JPG328E7C10-2C00-4C96-81FF-1D40A6F5F0E7_zpsnqfs6mt2 (resized).JPG

F2533D6E-B6D0-4851-84EA-9BC803AD4F3A_zpsaovbkhvc (resized).JPGF2533D6E-B6D0-4851-84EA-9BC803AD4F3A_zpsaovbkhvc (resized).JPG

F30374A7-AF58-494D-8F69-D5E4E0AFE2EF_zpscx7c8e83 (resized).JPGF30374A7-AF58-494D-8F69-D5E4E0AFE2EF_zpscx7c8e83 (resized).JPG

#674 7 years ago

With your 7 digit full display kit design, is there any chance of including the option to install or not (jumper bypass) a CMOS decoder (4555 or whatever equivalent takes your fancy) on the display PCB to allow some of the older 6 digit games with custom 7 digit home ROMs to display 7 digits? This would remove the need of having to make up that extra inline decoder board and modifying the wiring harness to support it.

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

Okay, I've attached images of my Lost World with white LED conversion with amber filters.

Got you entered in the March contest Brian! Lost World looks great, thanks for taking some pictures!

#676 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

With your 7 digit full display kit design, is there any chance of including the option to install or not (jumper bypass) a CMOS decoder (4555 or whatever equivalent takes your fancy) on the display PCB to allow some of the older 6 digit games with custom 7 digit home ROMs to display 7 digits? This would remove the need of having to make up that extra inline decoder board and modifying the wiring harness to support it.

I've actually planned to look into this mod some more & will be working on some ways to make it easier for people rather than cook your own board. Seems like it'd be a chore to perf board, might as well have a nice PCB for it I'll get to work on this as well & try to hit the same time-frame I'm planning with the full display kit (end of April). Not sure I'll throw it on the full-kit component board, but maybe a plug-in board at the display or at J1 on the MPU.

Actually in terms of the conversion displays, I hinted at this mod a few posts back. Using 6-digit component boards with a 7-digit panel.. it might seem a bit hackish to cut traces, run extra wires, have some piggy-back for the 7th digit enable circuit at each display. But if I can do the digit enable circuitry at a piggyback plug-in board at J1 on the MPU.. it seems like a single digit enable circuit could work for all the displays. Then I could throw this 4555 mod on there as well & the 7th digit output could then be wired to all the displays. It'd be an acceptable mod then I think and make sense to be using a 6-digit component board with games that already used 6-digit displays -- that need an additional circuit for the 7th digit. If that worked out it wouldn't require any additional modifications other than the wire ran to the 7th digit line of the 7-digit panel on the conversion displays. Only thing is you'd need power/gnd at the piggyback, so either a J4 piggyback would be needed to make it completely plug-and-play or power/gnd would have to be tapped elsewhere.

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Not sure I'll throw it on the full-kit component board

In terms of the full kit, all it really needs is the real estate for a DIP16 chip on each board and some solder jumper pads to enable/disable it. Rather than use 4555, I'd design it for 4028 decoder chips as they're much more cheaper.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up as a very simple way to add the optional feature on the full 7-digit kit.

Quoted from acebathound:

Actually in terms of the conversion displays, I hinted at this mod a few posts back. Using 6-digit component boards with a 7-digit panel.. it might seem a bit hackish to cut traces, run extra wires, have some piggy-back for the 7th digit enable circuit at each display.

Is there going to be much price advantage of doing this over just replacing with a full kit that supports it?

#678 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

In terms of the full kit, all it really needs is the real estate for a DIP16 chip on each board and some solder jumper pads to enable/disable it. Rather than use 4555, I'd design it for 4028 decoder chips as they're much more cheaper.
Anyway, just though I'd bring it up as a very simple way to add the optional feature on the full 7-digit kit.

Yeah that makes sense.

I don't have the final board layout done yet for the full kits, so I'll see what I can work in there over the next few days

Quoted from Quench:

Is there going to be much price advantage of doing this over just replacing with a full kit that supports it?

Hard to say, maybe not. In terms of using a 6-digit component board with a 7-digit panel for the conversion displays, there's cost advantage over the alternative options of having some plug-in board at the display or additional board to create the 7th digit enable circuit at each display + it allows this 6-to-7 digit mod to happen. This will likely go on the back-burner at the moment, especially considering things quieted down on conversion kits in general here in recent months -- let alone using 7-digit panels with 6-digit boards

Priority will be a full display kit and tying this 4555/4028 circuit into that.

#679 7 years ago

So is this list below complete as far as Bally games that would benefit from the 6-digit to 7-digit mod?
Found these based on Oliver's notes @ http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS
DOLLY PARTON
FUTURE SPA
NITRO GROUND
SILVERBALL MANIA
SPACE INVADERS
ROLLING STONES
MYSTIC
HOT DOGGIN
VIKING

How about Stern games? Oliver's page mentions a divide by 10 for METEOR. Same 4555 setup for that?

Just trying to get an idea of things here..

#680 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

So is this list below complete as far as Bally games that would benefit from the 6-digit to 7-digit mod?
Found these based on Oliver's notes @ http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html
HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS
DOLLY PARTON
FUTURE SPA
NITRO GROUND
SILVERBALL MANIA
SPACE INVADERS
ROLLING STONES
MYSTIC
HOT DOGGIN
VIKING
How about Stern games? Oliver's page mentions a divide by 10 for METEOR. Same 4555 setup for that?

Firepower

#681 7 years ago

Didn't know firepower was a bally game...

#682 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Didn't know firepower was a bally game...

D'oh, I wasn't even thinking about that. I just saw it on the list of 7-digit conversions. Nevermind

#683 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

There is a 7-digit ROM for Meteor, and a few folks are working on a (better) 7-digit ROM for the game, and a couple other Sterns as well.

#684 7 years ago

Maybe the blanket statement is any 6-digit Bally games that had a sound board utilizing J1-7 at the MPU could theoretically benefit? The real question becomes whether there's divide-by-ten ROMs for anything other than what I posted above. If Oliver's the only one that was creating those even if additional games could benefit I'm not sure it'd happen for additional games.

STERN probably doesn't need the 4555 mod at all, if J1-7 wasn't wired on any 6-digit games.

Additional BALLY 6-Digit Games
Black Jack, Eight Ball, Evel Knievel, Freedom, KISS, Lost World, Mata Hari, Night Rider, Paragon, Power Play, Star Trek, Strikes & Spares, Supersonic, Voltan

Some of the above used chimes, so may be excluded.

Again.. just trying to get a handle on this. I've seen mention of this mod quite a bit over the years. Not sure on popularity and whether to just create some add-on piggyback board at J1 at the MPU or if there's enough games that benefit & interest to try to tie it into the displays. The downside to tying it into each display is it's 5x the circuits that are really needed.. seems like for the smaller sub-section of people that would actually utilize the divide-by-ten roms it may be better to leave it as a mod at the MPU J1. But I'm all-ears this week

#685 7 years ago

Dragonfist and Lazerlord are already 7-digit games.

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Additional BALLY 6-Digit Games

Also Six Million Dollar Man and Playboy.

Quoted from acebathound:

Not sure on popularity and whether to just create some add-on piggyback board at J1 at the MPU or if there's enough games that benefit & interest to try to tie it into the displays.

5pcs of 4028 chips are less than $1 total out of China (even then, not everyone needs the option). It will cost more to make a MPU J1 plugin board, although this option could be useful for people converting their original display boards to LEDs.

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

There is a 7-digit ROM for Meteor, and a few folks are working on a (better) 7-digit ROM for the game, and a couple other Sterns as well.

any chance roms for Nine Ball are part of that (not 7 digit, just maybe better code for the switches...)

#688 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

any chance roms for Nine Ball are part of that (not 7 digit, just maybe better code for the switches...)

I haven't heard anything, since I don't have one of those games. But, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a couple working on stuff..

#689 7 years ago

Embryon?

#690 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS
DOLLY PARTON
FUTURE SPA
NITRO GROUND
SILVERBALL MANIA
SPACE INVADERS
ROLLING STONES
MYSTIC
HOT DOGGIN
VIKING

The popular Paragon is in need of 7 digit displays too.

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The popular Paragon is in need of 7 digit displays too.

mine has only needed 7 digits twice

#692 7 years ago

I just made a video with links you need and explaining how to do it on an embryon. I just started making video's. Feedback is very welcome.

4 weeks later
#693 6 years ago

Just completed my second set. Went much faster this time.

Again went with white digits for flexibility if needed in the future. Using medium blue filters. Camera doesn't do it justice. The blue is very rich looking in person.

Have some connector work to do on the wire harness and to put in the foam to finish off but very pleased with how it came out.

Eric

IMG_1815 (resized).JPGIMG_1815 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#694 6 years ago

Ok sorry guys the last few months have been a bit of a whirlwind for me as some have probably seen.

Since there were only 3x entries submitted for March & April, I'm going to send @Cheddar, RocketFromTombs & emsrph an nvram. Let me know what type you guys would like & I'll get those sent out to you. That'll close out the Retrofit Gallery Contest on these. Thanks everyone for participating! Of course pictures are still welcome from anyone building out the displays at any time, would love to continue adding more examples to the gallery

I'm nearly out of 7-digit pcbs, but still have 6-digit pcbs available so I'll be making the shopping cart link available again sometime over the next week or so for 6-digit sets. Until then if anyone's interested in picking up a 6-digit set, shoot me a PM/email.

#695 6 years ago

Thanks Wayne. That's very generous!

Eric

#697 6 years ago

Any way to get the commas like in original Bally games?

#698 6 years ago

Damn. Cannot find a link to the instructions. Please help.

#699 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Damn. Cannot find a link to the instructions. Please help.

Link sent!

#700 6 years ago

I've been working on the original Bally schematics.
Deleting the parts which are not needed anymore.
First to go is the 6-digit version only.
Anyone interested in the file?

I've also created a .gif version so you can see what has been deleted.
Pinside website does not show the gif, only jpg or png files.
Please send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy.

Bally_AS-2518-21_Display_6-Digits_LED (resized).jpgBally_AS-2518-21_Display_6-Digits_LED (resized).jpg

There are 766 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards/page/14?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.