tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 766 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 16.
#551 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Unless I am missing something it doesn't look like "pinsound" works for these earlier machines. Regardless it is hard to consider spending over $300 to improve sound on a $600 pinball machine. That is the nice thing about these display kits - for about $100 & a little time you can accomplish something that would otherwise cost you almost 3 times as much.
Anyway - maybe sometime down the road someone will come up with a cheaper sound board for these machines - until then I'll just keep loving the art and enjoying the pure & simple game play of these early Bally machines. But Nugent without music is one I will never own again! Love the backglass art but a music theme pin without music just doesn't cut it!

Well, as far as the sound goes, someone appears to be working in it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-sounds-plus-sound-board-in-development

And to keep this on topic, I spent a little more time working on my displays this weekend, and got another done. Still took longer than I hoped, but I started on the next one today and it's going a lot quicker.

-Brian

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

And to keep this on topic, I spent a little more time working on my displays this weekend, and got another done. Still took longer than I hoped, but I started on the next one today and it's going a lot quicker.

Great to hear Brian! Seems for some people it takes a few displays to get into the groove. Nice to see the 3rd one is going even quicker! I think it's all part of the lesson in doing this stuff, you start learning how to solve the time problem as you repeat something & figure out your own way of doing it to make time.

There's a bit of a knack to figuring out an assembly-line style of building or repairing anything -- and making time. Could be brand new components, could be repairing a huge stack of old boards. Once you start figuring out how to attack the stuff that's a time sink & find *YOUR WAY* to make it work, with the tools you have -- that same concept can be used with anything you're doing & it starts paying in huge dividends. I've stopped myself from thinking "I CAN'T.." [be faster, have it look nicer, pull this idea off, etc] to asking "HOW CAN I.." looking for what I'm overlooking. Keeping an open mind helps too instead of just believing what everyone else has said. Has helped me a lot more thinking that way recently with creating things and spreads into other areas of life as well. This project wouldn't otherwise have happened because no one thought it was possible to convert those old displays into something efficient that looked nice. But look where we are

#553 7 years ago

Every once in a while I catch an eBay listing for a lot of 6-10 unknown displays since I'm looking for a couple of 7-digits for myself, get tempted to bid and then think "I don't want to be bidding against my customers" lol.

Did I run everyone out of old displays?

Easily solved, buy some more machines!! Or "accidentally" drop some good displays.. I won't tell.

#554 7 years ago

Yay! More BLUE DIGITS just arrived! Think I'm set for a while.

bluedigits (resized).jpgbluedigits (resized).jpg

AMBER DIGITS due in next Wednesday, should have purchasing options for sets of those toward the end of the week.

#555 7 years ago

I finished my first set of 7 digit displays for spyhunter, I will get some pics with different filters in the next day or two.

IMG_6910 (resized).JPGIMG_6910 (resized).JPG

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

I finished my first set of 7 digit displays for spyhunter, I will get some pics with different filters in the next day or two.

You're a machine! Nice job, I vote for red or blue.

I'll have a deeper red filter coming in soon, will send you a sample next time you order anything.

#557 7 years ago

What happened here? I have been watching this topic as well as a few others on Pinside and things have gotten very quiet. Too close to Christams - too much other stuff going on to build displays - where has everyone gone? I am waiting to see more pictures of different color filters in different machines to get some ideas.

#558 7 years ago

What happened here? I have been watching this topic as well as a few others on Pinside and things have gotten very quiet. Too close to Christams - too much other stuff going on to build displays - where has everyone gone? I am waiting to see more pictures of different color filters in different machines to get some ideas.

I keep wondering if I need to throw in some bigger incentive for people to either take pictures or build out their sets (and then take pictures). I sent out Magenta filters to 2 or 3 people that had Playboy's and am patiently anxiously waiting to see what that looks like!

Well.. I'm done wondering. So onto more of an incentive than a free set of filters with your next order..

POST A GALLERY PHOTO & GET ENTERED TO WIN A FREE 5101 NVRAM!
I'm sure some of these machines would LOVE an nvram upgrade since they're getting some nice led displays. How about a monthly drawing for some *FREE* 5101 NVRAM starting in December and continuing at least into January. Post your photo of a full set of completed displays in a machine, with backglass installed.. and you're entered into a raffle/giveaway for some nvram! Each picture with the same displays in a different game, or different color filters being used for the entire set of displays counts as an additional entry. You can submit pictures for a display color combination that already exists too, I'm happy to post additional pictures of the same color for each game since people will have different cameras and lighting conditions (helps to average things out).

To up the ante a bit, since I like better odds in contests -- every 10 entries, I'll up the count of nvram being given away by one. So if there's 30 entries (ie. 30 photos entered into the gallery), the giveaway for that month will be 3x 5101 nvram adapters.

I'll announce the winner(s) the first week of the following month (in this case early January). At the rate people have been posting pictures odds are incredibly in your favor! Worst case it's 1 in 10 since every 10 entries ups the nvram count. International customers can enter too, but I'll just wait to ship the free nvram until your next order for anything.

GALLERY LINK: http://www.pinitech.com/retrofit/gallery/

I know I've sent displays to more than 7x people that I currently have listed in the gallery, so hopefully this helps motivate some people to take some photos and/or build out their displays. Just try and dim the lights a bit when you take a picture..... oh, and make sure you don't take a picture of yourself in your underwear if the game has a mirrored backglass

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#559 7 years ago

Free bump!

Can I participate?

#560 7 years ago

Couldn't find it right away, so here's a link.

http://www.pinitech.com/retrofit/gallery/

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Couldn't find it right away, so here's a link.
http://www.pinitech.com/retrofit/gallery/

Oh, right.. my bad. I'll link that on the giveaway post above.

It's also linked on the main post, but I've moved the link up under a GALLERY heading so it's more visible.

#562 7 years ago

Hey here's a tech support request:

I have one segment (C) out on the 10s digit The segment driver and the decoder have been replaced. Using a test harness the same segment is out on both digits when I put 5v to pins 4&5 and 5&6. In gameplay only this digit has the segment out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#563 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Hey here's a tech support request:
I have one segment (C) out on the 10s digit The segment driver and the decoder have been replaced. Using a test harness the same segment is out on both digits when I put 5v to pins 4&5 and 5&6. In gameplay only this digit has the segment out.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Is that for a 7-digit Bally display? Asking since the comma circuit gets activated based on Segment C and E being activated, so the comma circuit is a possible suspect for issues with those segments.

Otherwise, that's an interesting one. Must be a solder blob/short to something that works better when the displays are multiplexed versus when they're given more current at the bench (since it's less of a direct-short then in the game). Could be an intermittent connection, but less likely if the results are always the same (works in the machine to some degree, but not at the bench). Some weird things can happen like what you're seeing with the displays being multiplexed in-game. I'd go by the bench results.. in other words, if for every digit, the same Segment C is out at the bench.. then I'd suspect a short to something in the Segment C circuit or bad connection in that circuit (ie. at the plasma footprint or solder points on anything replaced). If you're working on other displays of the same model that you've already done and are working, you could do a quick comparison check at the solder joints for components you replaced in that circuit.

Wish I could help pin-point it, but sounds somewhat isolated to just the segment driver part of the schematic. And with replacing the 4543 and driver, to me it seems like something stealing current or an intermittent connection.

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Is that for a 7-digit Bally display? Asking since the comma circuit gets activated based on Segment C and E being activated, so the comma circuit is a possible suspect for issues with those segments.

Sorry it's just a 6 digit. Looking at a resistor that tests at 150K in circuit when it should be 300K. Trying to find the schematic for this display as well.

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Sorry it's just a 6 digit. Looking at a resistor that tests at 150K in circuit when it should be 300K. Trying to find the schematic for this display as well.

What's the display model? I can send the schematic if I have it.

#566 7 years ago

It's a -21. I found a PDF online. Thanks for the offer

#567 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

What's the display model? I can send the schematic if I have it.

Could you post the schematics in the thread here somewhere for all the different versions if you have them handy?

I'm sure some folks would find it useful to see them all in one place.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Could you post the schematics in the thread here somewhere for all the different versions if you have them handy?
I'm sure some folks would find it useful to see them all in one place.

Sure, here you go:
http://www.pinitech.com/retrofit/schematics.php

#569 7 years ago

That should be helpful to a good many people. Speaking from experience I know most of us are fairly lazy so having an easy way to find this information will be a huge help. One suggestion to anyone that has any other display revisions that are not listed on Pinitech's site. Let him now about them so he can add them to the list of revisions that exist. It is crazy how many time some of these companies made changes over the years!

#570 7 years ago

It is crazy how many time some of these companies made changes over the years!

Sometimes it had to do with the cost and availability of parts.

#571 7 years ago

I'm having no luck finding 7 digit pcbs or non working displays. Locally I've got a few people with 6 digit pcbs, but I need 4-7 digit pcbs

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I'm having no luck finding 7 digit pcbs or non working displays. Locally I've got a few people with 6 digit pcbs, but I need 4-7 digit pcbs

I haven't done this myself, but maybe check with Todd @ TNT Amusements? Or some of the other larger guys doing arcade/pinball repair. There has to be a ton of displays getting completely tossed by some of those guys.

I'm not totally surprised there's not a ton of them up on eBay since it takes a bit of work to list an item and a lot of people would rather just toss them or leave them sit. Yet, I'm also a bit surprised when I did a WTB a while back here and on RGP that I wasn't completely bombarded by people wanting to get rid of displays. That was before I had a ton of info out there on what I was even doing. I had a guy with 70+ displays email me that I thought might work out for some 7-digit displays, but he's disappeared a few times. Larger lots of bad displays definitely exist.. it may just take posting and bumping some WTB threads to find some people that are willing to sell for a reasonable price and take the time/effort to ship them. I really have to imagine some of the larger guys reselling pinball machines wouldn't mind knowing when they get a dozen or two displays, they have an immediate outlet for them at $3-4ea if the component boards are in nice enough shape.

#573 7 years ago

I may have a couple for you, @shimoda, maybe in Feb/March, if you cna wait that long. (I'm making a PCB of my own to replace my stern DA-300 boards to enable the comma *properly* (read: proper number format, not what Bally does in theirs..) in a Babcock glass. Once I get my boards made and glasses transferred over, I'll have four of them I won't need.

#574 7 years ago

I'll ask this question here.. and apologize at the same time for not getting to this sooner

Is there anyone interested in these displays if the parallel resistor method is shown in detail via pictures for each revision of the displays? In my book, it's pretty easy to upgrade displays that way. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many people doing the full component removal on the displays, just wasn't what I had expected. But I think a huge deterrent for the parallel resistor method is there not being close-up pictures of the modifications per display revision & I do apologize for that.. I meant to get some pictures up much sooner.... like shortly after doing the beta test. Either way I'll be getting those pictures up, but just interested in finding out if that's been the deterrent for some. Modeling the 1st display off a picture, and then additional displays off the ones you complete would make that method super easy IMO.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

read: proper number format, not what Bally does in theirs..

What's the proper number format? Do tell!

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

What's the proper number format? Do tell!

As far as the US goes (maybe elsewhere? I dunno..), it's "100" then "1000" then "10,000". The first comma doesn't show up until you hit 5 digits. Bally's displays have it "1,000" and for some reason my OCD hates that. I figure that with an extra latch and logic, can hold the bit (checking C & E segments on the 5th digit like the Bally display) and then activate comma next time the 4th digit is on if needed.

Plus, gives me experience making PCBs.

Edit: Interesting. back when i was in school (late-80's, early-90's) that was the general rule. Now, it looks as though it should have commas for 4 digits and up. Wow, I must be getting old.

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As far as the US goes (maybe elsewhere? I dunno..), it's "100" then "1000" then "10,000". The first comma doesn't show up until you hit 5 digits. Bally's displays have it "1,000" and for some reason my OCD hates that. I figure that with an extra latch and logic, can hold the bit (checking C & E segments on the 5th digit like the Bally display) and then activate comma next time the 4th digit is on if needed.
Plus, gives me experience making PCBs.
Edit: Interesting. back when i was in school (late-80's, early-90's) that was the general rule. Now, it looks as though it should have commas for 4 digits and up. Wow, I must be getting old.

I was reading your idea and I think is going to be a bit difficult...
I explain why I think like that.
I'm already activating the comma on my displays using the C&E segments, the problem is that the digits are multiplexed and at the moment you get the C&E segments activated on digit 5 you are not powering digit 4 therefore even trying to connect the logic output from the compination of C&E to the comma of digit 4 you'll not light it up.

The only option I see it the have a memory status which stores the C&E condition while powering digit 5 and gives it the result to the comma pin only when this memory circuit gets the power signal from digit 4... funny for a personal project but is this effort worth the result?

Let me know if I'm mistaken

Addendum:
I was thinking while brushing my tooth and an easy solution would be to have an external led for the comma which would be powered by the common anode or catode of digit 5 but would be installed between digit 3 and 4
Acceptable solution?

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I'll ask this question here.. and apologize at the same time for not getting to this sooner
Is there anyone interested in these displays if the parallel resistor method is shown in detail via pictures for each revision of the displays? In my book, it's pretty easy to upgrade displays that way. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many people doing the full component removal on the displays, just wasn't what I had expected. But I think a huge deterrent for the parallel resistor method is there not being close-up pictures of the modifications per display revision & I do apologize for that.. I meant to get some pictures up much sooner.... like shortly after doing the beta test. Either way I'll be getting those pictures up, but just interested in finding out if that's been the deterrent for some. Modeling the 1st display off a picture, and then additional displays off the ones you complete would make that method super easy IMO.

I think the parallel resistor method is more difficult than just pulling the parts and replacing them. when I added the pullup resistors to the 1 display I had the dam resistor was rolling all over the place, was a pain in the a$$ to get it tacked into place. Plus I think the component removal method just looks cleaner than having everything soldered to the bottom. just my 2 cents.

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

I was reading your idea and I think is going to be a bit difficult...
I explain why I think like that.
I'm already activating the comma on my displays using the C&E segments, the problem is that the digits are multiplexed and at the moment you get the C&E segments activated on digit 5 you are not powering digit 4 therefore even trying to connect the logic output from the compination of C&E to the comma of digit 4 you'll not light it up.
The only option I see it the have a memory status which stores the C&E condition while powering digit 5 and gives it the result to the comma pin only when this memory circuit gets the power signal from digit 4... funny for a personal project but is this effort worth the result?
Let me know if I'm mistaken
Addendum:
I was thinking while brushing my tooth and an easy solution would be to have an external led for the comma which would be powered by the common anode or catode of digit 5 but would be installed between digit 3 and 4
Acceptable solution?

I'm learning circuit design, so comments are welcome!
I was going to use a latch chip (similar to.. a 74HC373). The comma enable would be one input, latch enable would go high on digit #5, capturing the status of the comma (on/off). Output Enable would be tied through an inverter to digit #4. So, when digit #4 is getting driven, it would enable the output that was latched when #5 was being driven to determine comma status.

Again, however, I'm not a circuit designer, so.. I could be horribly wrong.

#580 7 years ago

Amber digits came in on Wednesday.. well, I should say half the order. 1st time I've had Fedex only delivery half an order, and have been hoping the other half wasn't going to stay completely missing since both boxes had the same tracking number. Looks like tracking was updated though and post-dated on the 8th in Tennessee, so hopefully the other box shows up next week.

Haven't had a chance to get a display built out with the amber digits yet, but should have some time early next week & will get a comparison with the plasma displays & also WHITE with plasma amber filter. They should all look pretty much the same in color. Should also get the shopping cart link up for those early next week as well.

I'm also going to add a few additional colors for WHITE display filters -- deep red (more saturated/darker red), turquoise, light blue and straw yellow. I meant to get a sea foam blue/green color but forgot it on my last order.. but will get that in next time. Expect to see those options soon.

#581 7 years ago

Here is a few more pics of spyhunter. All white digits with filters. The colors are much better in person.

IMG_7043 (resized).JPGIMG_7043 (resized).JPG

IMG_7051 (resized).JPGIMG_7051 (resized).JPG

IMG_7055 (resized).JPGIMG_7055 (resized).JPG

#582 7 years ago

Loving the yellow digits!

My buddy did a set for stern galaxy admit looks great in blue!

#583 7 years ago

Yeah I'm liking the Yellow in Spy Hunter too! Blue looks nice of course and would have been my first thought.

Amber digit conversion kit sets are now available to order @ http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_conversion_led_display.php

Also got the other color filter choices up for the WHITE sets (deep red, light blue, straw yellow, turquoise)

#584 7 years ago

What's the difference between yellow and straw yellow?

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

What's the difference between yellow and straw yellow?

The straw yellow is a bit deeper and darker, more like a photo of a straw in a field that's highly saturated (ie. saturated blue sky, saturated yellow in the straw). More golden, a bit warmer or orange-yellow -- whereas the "medium yellow" is more on the yellow side. At some point I'll get some pictures up but not sure if I'll be able to capture the differences in the yellows.

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I may have a couple for you, shimoda, maybe in Feb/March, if you cna wait that long. (I'm making a PCB of my own to replace my stern DA-300 boards to enable the comma *properly* (read: proper number format, not what Bally does in theirs..) in a Babcock glass. Once I get my boards made and glasses transferred over, I'll have four of them I won't need.

I probably will still need them by then I'm sure

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I probably will still need them by then I'm sure

Hell, if my board works, and you really need some, let me know. I can probably get a few more boards made.

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

color filter choices up for the WHITE sets (deep red, light blue, straw yellow, turquoise)

Can you add pics of Deep Red filter to the gallery, next to the amber & unfiltered white? Trying to pick best for SharpShooter or EBD.

#590 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hell, if my board works, and you really need some, let me know. I can probably get a few more boards made.

I would be willing to go that route, depending on board cost but I'm not imagining they'll be all that much depending on where you are having them made. Seems like this would be a worthwhile pcb to have made with led replacements available.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I would be willing to go that route, depending on board cost but I'm not imagining they'll be all that much depending on where you are having them made. Seems like this would be a worthwhile pcb to have made with led replacements available.

I'll be working on a component board for these as well (mentioned a while back), hoping to have some boards in January. It's definitely the next item on the agenda & will allow for either 6-digit panels or 7-digit led panels. The 7-digit donor boards are harder to come by and kind of a hold-up for many people to order a set. Just didn't know how scarce those were until I made these conversion kits available. Coyote's board sounds like it could compliment these conversion display panels since he's working with the plasma footprint that I'd likely be doing away with in a full kit design.

A full display kit is going to have component count minimized, look will be similar, no plasma footprint since it's unnecessary at that point. Haven't decided yet if I'll go single-board or 2-board design. Vision is to have it be able to mix-and-match with the conversion kits giving you the option of installing a few of each in the game but having them all look the same.

There's also *technically* a relatively easy option for converting a 6-digit donor into a 7-digit. Small aux board that would get soldered into the [currently unused] extra headers on the led panel. It's have the 7th digit circuit on it. You'd need to run +5v to it & the 7th digit signal. You'd also need to isolate pin #12 on the 6-digit component board since that's where the 7th digit signal comes in.. and on those boards pin #10, #11 and #12 are all tied together.... and blanking is on pin #10. So that's why 6-digit displays connected in place of a 7-digit display cause things to go wonky. This is just a possible option, without having to create a completely separate conversion board. I may prototype that up and just show what it would look like to see if there's any interest. It'd probably cost $5 or less as an add-on kit since the board would be small.

I'll also be throwing in a simple display tester design into my next pcb order as well, to make it easier to test conversion displays or even a full display kit.

#592 7 years ago

Only 3x entries so far in the December Contest to win a free NVRAM (all from grnrzr).

I added a link to a list of entrants on the gallery page @ http://www.pinitech.com/retrofit/gallery/

I'm going to take everyone who had submitted photos prior to the December Contest announcement and throw them into an additional drawing for an nvram as well. Once someone wins, they'll be excluded from winning again for the next month's drawing even if they enter new photos for that month (to allow others the chance to win something). Only new entries for any given month will then be used as part of the drawing, so there's a chance if no one else has submitted any photos, the sole person that submits even a single photo for that month will win an nvram. And once again, for every 10 entries received for that month, I'll kick in an additional nvram prize. If a single person submits 20x photos of different games with the displays.. or different colors in the same game -- and they're the only entrant for that month.. they'll get 2x nvram adapters.

Doing this for at least December & January 2017.. but possibly into the first few quarters of 2017 if it works out well in helping to stock the gallery with more images. Have fun!!

#593 7 years ago

Recent competition with other budget led kits also offering WHITE digits has helped me to decide several things..

First off, I'll keep pricing for the conversion kits at the current "SALE" pricing.. no bumping up to what I had expected introductory pricing to be. I'd like to keep these conversion kits as an attractive option and price-point is definitely part of that. So conversion kits will remain as low as $82.95 per 6-digit AMBER set (that's $16.59 per single display kit within a set) or at most $99.95 for a 7-digit WHITE set ($19.99 per single display kit within a set). It's crazy imagining LED display options at those per-display price-points from where things were a year or two ago with Classic Bally/Stern displays. And even now with quite a few other kits on the market, it's still nearly half the price of a single full display kit. I want the conversion kit options to stick around for a while, so keeping prices low would seem a good way to make that happen.

Second, for bulk needs of 4x or more FULL kits for these conversion displays -- email or PM me and we can discuss some discounts. I'm sure there's a few people that have amassed HUGE collections of old displays. I'll work with those people a bit. As a for-instance.. if we hit 10x FULL kits (ie. enough to do 50 displays), I'll throw in one full set for free.

And lastly, I've just learned every time someone affects what I'm doing it just means I need to figure out how to step up my game. No drama, no hard feelings. Just keep at it -- stream-lining to remain competitive, innovating to offer something different, create aesthetically pleasing designs & solid products. In a way I have those people to thank for helping to create better products or causing me to find ways to be more efficient & make things work. I guess that's why they say competition is good for everyone, though it doesn't always feel like it

Expect a full Classic Bally/Stern display kit from PINITECH sometime 1st Qtr 2017. You won't see any pictures or discussion of the design.. in fact, you won't hear a blip from me on it from this point forward -- until it's available for sale. Just know what to expect from what you've seen here & in other designs I've done. The displays will look nice, function well, be priced competitively & may even offer something a bit different. I expect to help others have access to some really nice looking budget displays for their machines, so we can continue to breathe new life into Classic Bally/Stern games!

Future ideas will be carried out in a similar fashion. Radio silence until something is ready to hit the street. If you're wondering if I have any new ideas or projects -- the answer is ALWAYS likely yes. Someone that is creative and thinks a bit outside the box, always has plenty of things in the works! Stay tuned for some more neat things from PINITECH in 2017!

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#594 7 years ago

Just did the 1st drawing for a winner for the RETROFIT GALLERY CONTEST (that's what I'll call it from now on). Everyone that submitted a photo prior to the announcement for the December contest was entered. Printed on a small slip of paper, folded up -- shaken in a small box (but not stirred) -- and my wife picked the winner. 24 entries in this first contest, many by GRNRZR hehe. Since there's 24 entries I picked 2 names.

Some behind-the-scenes shots of the high tech action!!!

box (resized).jpgbox (resized).jpg

Against all odds, and with only a single entry to his name..

The 1st winner for the pre-December drawing is:

SPIROAGNEW

And then not surprisingly from the sheer number of entries ..

The 2nd winner for the pre-December drawing is:

GRNRZR

names (resized).jpgnames (resized).jpg

Congratulations guys! Sending you each a PM so you can pick what style nvram you'd like & get me your address.

Since GRNRZR was also a winner in this contest & will be excluded from the December Contest (having winners sit out 1mo to give others a chance).. there are currently 0 entries for the December contest. Anyone that gets a photo submitted by Dec 31st will get an entry. So if you're the first and only person to submit a photo you get a free nvram. Good luck!

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Just did the 1st drawing for a winner for the RETROFIT GALLERY CONTEST (that's what I'll call it from now on ). Everyone that submitted a photo prior to the announcement for the December contest was entered. Printed on a small slip of paper, folded up -- shaken in a small box (but not stirred) -- and my wife picked the winner. 24 entries in this first contest, many by GRNRZR hehe. Since there's 24 entries I picked 2 names.
Against all odds, and with only a single entry to his name..
The 1st winner for the pre-December drawing is:
SPIROAGNEW
The 2nd winner for the pre-December drawing is:
GRNRZR
Congratulations! Sending a PM to you guys so you can pick what style nvram you'd like & get me your address.
Since GRNRZR won this contest, I'll exclude him from the December contest (having any winners sit out 1mo so others have a chance of winning). So currently there are 0 entries for the December contest. Anyone that gets a photo submitted prior to Dec 31st will get an entry.. so if you're the first and only person to submit a photo you get a free nvram. Good luck!

It is very nice of you to be doing this! There is nothing like giving a little something back to your loyal customers. When I get a package with a little something extra in it I always remember the seller but typically it isn't anything more than a piece of candy, a pen, or something similar. Giving away $20 a month to one winner is much better than that piece of candy or a pen! (I sell online a lot so I realize not only are you giving away the prize you are also giving away the shipping cost).

Keep doing good things and it will keep paying dividends!

#596 7 years ago

Had some confusion & wanted to add some clarification to the RETROFIT Gallery Contest..

After each drawing, there will be a "clean slate" for the next month's entries. So each month's contest will only be based on any new entries received that month by people.

So to bring things up to speed -- this last drawing was for "pre-December" entries. Anyone that had posted a photo in this thread, who's picture(s) I added to the gallery was entered into the drawing. 24 entries total, so 2 names were picked (every 10x entries I'm adding 1x nvram adapter for a prize). Now that this drawing is over, we move onto the "December Contest" -- so anyone submitting photos in December gets an entry there. Winners are excluded from the next drawing (sit out for 1mo), even if they submitted some new entries. This is just to give others a chance to win too. So as it sits, for the December Contest there are 0 entries (GRNRZR had submitted a few pictures, but he won in the last drawing.. so his entries are cleared out). So if only one person submits a single picture for the gallery between now and Dec 31st, they'll win some free nvram. If multiple people enter, names will be thrown in a box and winner drawn as before.

Here's the fun part. Even if you only ever bought 1 set of these displays, if you have multiple machines you can gain additional entries by taking pictures of the same displays in different machines -- or using different color filters with WHITE sets. Any variation will count as an entry. So lets say you have 10x games, move the displays between machines and take pictures and you have 10 entries. You can use all those entries for the December contest, or just post 5 pictures for December and wait to post the others for January. So what I'm getting at is.. you don't need to make additional purchases to gain new entries into the next drawing. Just submit a new photo (or photos) that would be a variation for the gallery. My goal here is to keep seeing the gallery fill up by offering an incentive for more pictures to be taken. The more variations in the gallery, the easier it is for people to get an idea of what colors might look nice in their games. Plus it's kind of a fun way to go about things I think. If any of this is unclear, just let me know Trying to make it easy to gain more entries into the next drawing without purchasing anything even, as long as you have other games to put the displays in or other color filters to throw in your displays.

#598 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

ebay.com link » Used Ballyand Williams Displays For Pinball Machines
In case you need some boards

This should be interesting. Too bad they don't list exactly how many 7 digit Ballys there are.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

This should be interesting. Too bad they don't list exactly how many 7 digit Ballys there are.

On Dec-23-16 at 20:06:07 PST, seller added the following information:

There are 20 6 Digit Displays
There are 22 7 Digit Displays
There are 8 Williams Displays from Black Knight.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

ebay.com link » Used Ballyand Williams Displays For Pinball Machines
In case you need some boards

..and now the price will probably skyrocket

There are 766 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.