tester2 (resized).jpg
display3 (resized).jpg
display2 (resized).jpg
display1 (resized).jpg
display_tester.jpg
display_sneakpeek.jpg
IMG_4811 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 766 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.
#451 7 years ago

Some Updates..

Getting ready for round #2 of these conversion kits. I've got some more PCBs in & most of the materials, so I'm beginning to package up kits & expect to be able to start sending PMs out to those that expressed interest via the interest list (ie. waitlist) toward the end of this week or over the weekend. Those PMs will go out in small waves, 2-4 people at a time, so I can keep a better handle on the limited digits I have right now. People will be contacted in the order they signed up on the list & given a few days to respond. I'll keep moving down the list until I run out of digits.

I've not had a chance to update instructions further, so I'll again be offering a slight discount on the 2nd Batch of kits (just not as steep as the true "BETA" round). It'd be awesome if the people ordering on this 2nd round can provide feedback if it will be the first time you're putting a kit together. From the looks of it, everyone from the BETA TEST round has been happy with the instructions & what's been posted in this thread by others. Very few questions asked via PM.

I expect the 3rd Batch of PCBs (likely mid-to-late November) to finally move to the estimated "Introductory Pricing" since there will have been enough sets of these in the wild & instructions should also be refined a bit more. At that time, I'll likely be offering some quantity discounts (3x or more sets). Once people expressing interest in the 3rd Batch have been taken care of & providing there aren't any other material shortages -- remaining sets will be available for order directly at http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_conversion_led_display.php

#452 7 years ago

This is great stuff. Happy to think that more good display boards will be saved. Would like the white on my Centaur. May have to get some dead 7-digit boards to use with your kit.

I made some Nixie tube retrofit boards back in 2010 (as shown in my profile pic) but they're just too expensive to sell more than a few.
I know how hard it is to see any project like this all the way through.

Michael Beverly

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

This is great stuff. Happy to think that more good display boards will be saved. Would like the white on my Centaur. May have to get some dead 7-digit boards to use with your kit.
I made some Nixie tube retrofit boards back in 2010 (as shown in my profile pic) but they're just too expensive to sell more than a few.
I know how hard it is to see any project like this all the way through.
Michael Beverly

Thanks for the kind words Michael! I saw your Nixie displays on Youtube at one point, thought those were pretty cool!

1 week later
#454 7 years ago

A few more conversion kits made it out in the wild this week, thanks again to everyone supporting this idea!

If I haven't contacted you already and you were on the wait-list, expect to hear something toward the end of next week.

On the topic of WHITE displays, I'm going to have a few more color filters coming in as well. A Darker Green, Purple and a Magenta (dark pink). I think the Magenta would look great in Playboy! And let's also not forget that pink displays could help convince the wife to let you finally put a pinball machine in the dining room!

morecolors (resized).jpgmorecolors (resized).jpg

#455 7 years ago

I received my kits last week, and just got my first display done! So far the hardest part for me has been removing the old components.

IMG_6597 (resized).JPGIMG_6597 (resized).JPG

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

I received my kits last week, and just got my first display done! So far the hardest part for me has been removing the old components.

Did you get white with gels or blue? Your game would look kickass with aqua colored gels to match the SILVERBALL lights at the bottom of the backglass.

#457 7 years ago

Sbm is blue digits, I have a white kit with yellow jells for my strike and spares. Hopefully I will have them all done by the weekend

#458 7 years ago

Looking at the backglass I think you could pull off Magenta / Hot Pink on SBM. Yellow certainly. Red. Purple. Or just leaving them WHITE would look nice even.

Some mock-ups below (borrowed your image Grnrzr)

I included an aqua color as mentioned by dothedoo -- I don't have filters for that, but if it's a desired color for this and other games I could add that to the assortment.

sbm_mocked (resized).jpgsbm_mocked (resized).jpg

So many of these backglasses have enough colors in them that practically any color display looks nice since it's either complimenting or contrasting things a bit.

#459 7 years ago

If you are not blown away by the pictures and how good these make old Bally machines look you should see them in person. Personally I love the blue (or white in a few machines) but matching colors to machine or backglass looks great also. By the end of the year all of our Bally machines will have LED displays in them. Once you have them in one machine you will not be able to stop yourself!

But the best part of using these is they don't cost you anything but time. It seems like everyone has dead displays around from these Bally machines. So by taking something out of your junk boxes and investing a few dollars and a little time you can have nice modern displays. Then if you sell off the good displays you pulled from your machines these things are basically free (or maybe even cheaper). That is hard to beat compared to paying around $300 to upgrade buying complete displays from one of the other sources. But if that isn't enough to make these something special you also are getting those old dead displays out of your way.

Making trash into something over the top nice just seems like a great idea all the way around!

#460 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

But the best part of using these is they don't cost you anything but time. It seems like everyone has dead displays around from these Bally machines. So by taking something out of your junk boxes and investing a few dollars and a little time you can have nice modern displays. Then if you sell off the good displays you pulled from your machines these things are basically free (or maybe even cheaper).

Yep, the scenario for some people is going to be to take what otherwise is junk/trash or just laying around and make them into nice looking efficient displays. Then take any working plasma displays and sell them for $30-40ea. If they're really nice plasmas with no burn-in, you should get $40-50 out of them. So the conversion kits at that point pay for themselves easily, as long as you're willing to invest some time.

Another thing I've mentioned to a few people now -- these conversion kits are "educational kits" on multiple levels. Not only as just being a DIY kit, but in having a more challenging type of kit where you need to remove components from an older board. Want to improve your ability to desolder on older boards? What better way than with junk boards that are easily replaceable if you mess a few up? You don't need to buy a kit to get started, just look at some of the photos of depopulated boards that VID posted earlier in this thread. Start removing/desoldering components on the junk boards you have. If you can successfully depopulate a board or two, then they're ready-to-go with a conversion kit.

It's kind of a forced way of developing better techniques with reworking older boards. Not everyone will see it like this, but I *know* there will be a few people that do.. and realize this type of challenge is going to pay off in big ways in the end. You'll be less intimidated to work on older boards and have developed techniques you can utilize either on future display kits or *any* older board. Plus, you have something really cool to show for all your work in the end, that other people can also see and enjoy I think that's really cool personally.

#461 7 years ago

I got my batch a week or so ago. I have done 2 so far and they look super! The instructions are very good and I agree the most time consuming part is removing the old components. These kits are well worth the time invested!

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from pinwiz_pa:

I got my batch a week or so ago. I have done 2 so far and they look super! The instructions are very good and I agree the most time consuming part is removing the old components. These kits are well worth the time invested!

Really happy to see this kind of feedback!

When you do get your set done, definitely post a picture with the backglass in! No rush hehe. I'm at some point going to create a page linking game names to pictures with various display colors so people can get an idea of what colors look like on each game. I think that'd be cool and help encourage more people to "take the plunge" in trying different colors in their games.

#463 7 years ago

Just wanted to say I will be ordering some of these in the future.

I have a partial bad set from 1 game and 4 more Ballys in cue which I am sure will have more contributions to the pile

Thanks for making these!

#464 7 years ago

Playboy might look nice with MAGENTA, BLUE OR PURPLE. RED too. Like I said, if you really get looking at things many backglasses work with many colors.

Again these are just mock-ups.
playboy_mockups (resized).jpgplayboy_mockups (resized).jpg

"AceBatHound's color mock-up service. Here to mock-up your machine all day, every day."

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Playboy might look nice with MAGENTA, BLUE OR PURPLE. RED too. Like I said, if you really get looking at things many backglasses work with many colors.
Again these are just mock-ups.

How could playboy not have pink?

#466 7 years ago

Playboy wants pink so bad it can taste it.....

#467 7 years ago

Wow, just came across this thread. I signed up. Really great idea!

#468 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

How could playboy not have pink?

Figured some people might like to compliment the blonde's swimsuit.

You're right though, Hef would disapprove of anything but PINK

#469 7 years ago

AS-2518-21 Depop pics2016-10-28 09.00.23 (resized).jpg2016-10-28 09.00.23 (resized).jpg2016-10-28 09.00.31 (resized).jpg2016-10-28 09.00.31 (resized).jpg

#470 7 years ago

Ugh, the -21 boards love to have the pads lift.

#471 7 years ago

Here is sbm all done I ended using 4 of the 2n5401's and had to replace a couple resistors to get them perfect. I think the displays looks great.
The kits are awesome, and have helped my desoldering and troubleshooting skills quite a lot. I will be a repeat customer for sure.

IMG_6600 (resized).JPGIMG_6600 (resized).JPG

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Ugh, the -21 boards love to have the pads lift.

I wonder if the -21 boards are more likely to have their pads lift, even among single-sided boards. I think that's the board I had trouble with. Learned pretty quick I had to change my technique.. I found cutting component leads top-side flush, then adding a bit of solder to the back and grabbing the remaining lead (often bent-over the pad) with micro-cutters worked. Just took much longer. I've only done a few of those boards and plan to work on some better techniques that I can hopefully give here & in the instructions. Definitely treat the single-sided boards with care. They don't put up with a lot of heat.

Were the -21s the first single-sided boards you modified?

#473 7 years ago

Received my 2 kits yesterday. One red kit for Flash Gordon (for a friend) and a blue kit for my Hotdoggin'. Now all I need is the time to do it. Flash Gordon is up first. Thank you, Wayne.

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

Here is sbm all done I ended using 4 of the 2n5401's and had to replace a couple resistors to get them perfect. I think the displays looks great.
The kits are awesome, and have helped my desoldering and troubleshooting skills quite a lot. I will be a repeat customer for sure.

Blue looks awesome with that backglass! Nice job!

Good to know on the 2n5401's. I'll keep including some extras with the kits. I've personally had at least one or two displays that I noticed one digit was a bit dimmer.. swapping the 2n5401 did the trick. Also gives people spares in case any were missing or dead to begin with on the donor display.

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Were the -21s the first single-sided boards you modified?

At least 1 of them had some repairs before they decided the glass was bad.

#476 7 years ago

Finished the second kit
I started with 10 unknown -21 boards, most of them had just a couple problems, a couple worked straight away, and one was a problem child. Only lifted one pad in the entire process. I will post more pics when I get the yellow gels installed

IMG_6630 (resized).JPGIMG_6630 (resized).JPG

#477 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

Finished the second kit
I started with 10 unknown -21 boards, most of them had just a couple problems, a couple worked straight away, and one was a problem child. Only lifted one pad in the entire process.

Great to hear that! Did the -21 boards have their component leads bent over the pad? What tools/techniques did you use for removal of components? I figure the more tips/tricks we can post here the better the success rate will be on single-sided boards with bent-over leads.

Displays look awesome BTW I'm excited seeing people successfully building out their kits every time!

#478 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

Finished the second kit
I started with 10 unknown -21 boards, most of them had just a couple problems, a couple worked straight away, and one was a problem child. Only lifted one pad in the entire process. I will post more pics when I get the yellow gels installed

I think the white displays look the best on SBM.

#479 7 years ago

Yes the leads were all bent at 90 degrees, I ended up using flush cutters on one end of the resistors and then used a hakko 808 to desolder them. It was a struggle at first, and took some time to get into a groove. The problem child board needed all of the 5401's, most of the mps-42's, the ic and several resistors. It was pretty hammered. Most of the other boards were pretty simple with one or two 5401's, and or a couple resistors.
I agree with you vid the white looks better than the blue, but dothedoo might have a good idea with aqua. I'm kinda thinking the yellow might look good too.
Decisions, decisions. Lol
If I have some time this afternoon I will get some more pics with the white displays in several of my games before I change them to yellow. I thought it was pretty cool to see the photoshop of different colors on sbm done by acebathound.

#480 7 years ago

The white looks better on SBM because it does not introduce an artificially saturated color, distracting your eye from the original, very unsaturated art.

#481 7 years ago

I'd like to try these in my paragon, Mata Hari, and xenon

#482 7 years ago

The thing with color is - what looks great one day might be different than what looks great later down the road partly because of your mood. That is the nice thing about using the filters instead of color digits. If sometime down the road you decide you want something different you can just change the filter if you start out with white digits.

Personally I have always loved blue so I tend to have a lot of blue in my life. But sometimes I burn out on blue and what something totally different. For years I always had blue cars but in the past 15 or 20 years I don't remember owning a blue car. Now that I am thinking about it I need another blue car!

Anyway - my plan is to make up some extra sets of displays - once I have a set in each machine - and then I'll be able to just change them out if I decide it is time for something different. I think it will be fun to change the look of some machines from time to time but overall so far blue is my favorite in most machines.

One thing for sure is I have seen enough of the original displays over the years that I doubt I'll use any that try to match the original displays. It is time to modernize some of my great old Bally machines!

#483 7 years ago

Based on the photos, I'd go for the blue in SBM myself. I like how it pops. That said, the white looks nice too & I was really wanting to see a photo of that, so thanks for posting Grnrzr!

I think if I had a choice of complimenting the prevailing color or balancing things out by picking up one of the secondary colors to use in the displays, I'd probably favor the secondary colors most of the time. Just to give it some balance, rather than be too "matchy". Just what I prefer. I'd basically look at whatever color was the 2nd prevailing color in the backglass and go with that -- or maybe the 3rd in-line. Speaking of which, I think magenta might actually look nice in SBM as well.

I'm not sure what I'd do with Strikes & Spares. Yellow's the prevailing color. Plasma/Orange works with the amount of orange in the backglass. I think light blue or red could look nice. From the mock-ups below, I'm kind of digging the light blue. I'll have to order some light blue gels, I'm sure there's more games that would look nice with a light blue too.

strikesspares_mockup.jpgstrikesspares_mockup.jpg

#484 7 years ago

Red looks hot in that strikes and spares! Yellow is really unique though and has wow factor as you never see yellow.

#485 7 years ago

Here are a few more pics of the white digits before I put the yellow filters on

IMG_6652 (resized).JPGIMG_6652 (resized).JPG

IMG_6657 (resized).JPGIMG_6657 (resized).JPG

IMG_6661 (resized).JPGIMG_6661 (resized).JPG

#486 7 years ago

Here is the first two displays with the yellow filters. They are more yellow in person.

IMG_6670 (resized).JPGIMG_6670 (resized).JPG

#487 7 years ago

And all done in yellow. The digits are nice and crisp and yellow, the photos do not do these filters justice.

IMG_6679 (resized).JPGIMG_6679 (resized).JPG

#488 7 years ago

one more set of pics with the yellow filters. I have to agree with cheddar too, The yellow is very different and unique. I can't think of ever seeing yellow displays before.
In the end I would be happy with any of them. It is hard to go wrong. Especially with being able to change the filters relatively easy. They help brighten up these old machines. Thanks for making these cool kits acebathound!!

IMG_6704 (resized).JPGIMG_6704 (resized).JPG

IMG_6708 (resized).JPGIMG_6708 (resized).JPG

IMG_6710 (resized).JPGIMG_6710 (resized).JPG

#489 7 years ago

I'm a little late to the party, but I finally got around to installing a 6-digit blue kit! The displays are for a Stern Stars that had been sitting for years, and needed/needs LOTS of work. I managed to put together a set of matching Stern DA100s for this project from a box of dead displays I picked up at the end of the summer: all five DA100s were in various states of operation, mostly of the not working variety. Giant learning curve with these kits: the first display took what seemed to be forever to get done, but the next four took between 40-50 minutes per display, via the full replacement method and using a Hakko de-solder gun (invaluable tool) and the leads from the original glass. I'm far from an expert at board work, but I found the job pretty straight forward (I found my Zen by the third board). PDF Instructions provided were awesome--intricate yet entertaining with jokes dispersed throughout to keep things light.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the displays up and running in the Stars--the playfield is out for clearcoating now and I'm just now reassembling the cabinet pieces into a donor cab. I was able to test my displays in my Six Million Dollar Man (my only Bally/Stern in the gameroom at the moment). I ran into one display that needed two new 2N5401s, and was pleasantly surprised to see they were included in the kit for just this reason. I'm thinking blue displays would look killer in the SMDM, and would love to keep them in, but the game requires SEVEN displays, not the five that I have now. Maybe sometime in the future.

I still have a 7-digit kit I need to install for a Star Gazer, but that too is a project in pieces and I have no seven digit game to test the displays in. Hopefully I'll get to it over the winter.

You can't go wrong with these kits--value, aesthetics and eco-consciousness all in one.

9d9c6017a488b42a82f7dc8b4f62399e1ecaf04d (resized).jpg9d9c6017a488b42a82f7dc8b4f62399e1ecaf04d (resized).jpg

f75393349a3e4402b8d6c3b13c3dace5 (resized).jpgf75393349a3e4402b8d6c3b13c3dace5 (resized).jpg

#490 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Giant learning curve with these kits: the first display took what seemed to be forever to get done, but the next four took between 40-50 minutes per display,

I'm working on getting an example of every Stern/Bally display board and making quick guides for the depopulation.

I found the most time used on the "first board" was scouting for what parts had to be removed.

Once I had the first board depopulated as a reference, it was full speed ahead.

#491 7 years ago

I picked up a half dozen bunk 6-digit displays at Expo for peanuts. I'm going to make a set for Playboy using pink gels.

#492 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I found the most time used on the "first board" was scouting for what parts had to be removed.

Spot on. Its an odd layout.

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm working on getting an example of every Stern/Bally display board and making quick guides for the depopulation.

Vid, that would be awesome! Having something to model off of makes it much quicker and those pictures are as good as having a display right there with you. Should help with completing the 1st display in less time. I'd wanted to get pictures in the instructions per display revision from the start, but it was overwhelming considering I didn't even know how this whole idea would be received & I wanted to get some displays out in the wild for beta testing. At this point though, it's time to refine things more & make it easy as possible.

#494 7 years ago

I had someone ask -- yes I do have more kits available. I probably won't have them directly available on the website for a few more weeks as I'm trying to get ahead with packaging up kits. For right now, if anyone else is interested in kits -- PM me or add yourself to the waitlist & I'll be in touch fairly quick with a link to order.

Some more updates..

• White digit order came in, so plenty of those right now.
  • Blue digits are in limited supply, 3-5x sets left from the original [small] order I had made. More blue led digits should be coming in early-to-mid December.
  • For the 2nd batch of kits I've got a better process of cutting filters for the white digits to-size on my end, so they'll be a pretty consistent height/width for each filter. Height is now the same as digit height, so no need to trim & makes it easy to add the foam light block then.
  • I've added some new color filters -- purple, magenta, a darker green. I'm still tweaking filters a bit to find colors that really "pop" nice and/or come close to matching native led digit colors & plasma colors -- or have some kind of "neat" factor to them. I'll get some pictures up on the website with the new colors soon.

Thanks so much to everyone that's tried a kit, commented, had good things to say, suggestions on things to change or shown excitement for this whole idea. It's great seeing new life breathed into older games that might not otherwise have seen led displays!

#495 7 years ago

Desoldering components on some old sound boards today. Not displays.. but component leads folded over similarly. Sometimes can't even see the leg in the solder joint.

What I'm having success with is using the Hakko to suck up the solder to expose the lead first. If I can see the lead, then I position the Hakko tip right next to the lead and suck the solder up, otherwise I just suck up whatever blob is there Sometimes the lead is loose at that point & I can straighten the lead with micro-flush cutters or cut off the right angle to remove the component. Otherwise, I'm then grabbing the lead with the Hakko tip (inserting the lead into the Hakko tip) and gently let it rest against one side of the tip so the solder still holding the lead to the pad melts. Leave it there a second or two and then use the Hakko to straighten the lead & suck any remaining solder up.

A slight modification to the above -- if the old solder isn't heating up too well is to position new solder at the pad, use the Hakko tip to melt it into the pad & then suck it up right after.

I've got more displays I need to modify so will be perfecting some methods with removal pretty soon and will post any tips I have for making better time with that part of the process.

#496 7 years ago

I got a couple more kits done. Much easier easier the second time around. Here is sbm and Dracula with pink filters, and eight ball with green filters.

IMG_6746 (resized).JPGIMG_6746 (resized).JPG

IMG_6759 (resized).JPGIMG_6759 (resized).JPG

IMG_6743 (resized).JPGIMG_6743 (resized).JPG

#497 7 years ago

They look great. Acebathound has really done a brilliant job designing these kits.

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

I got a couple more kits done. Much easier easier the second time around. Here is sbm and Dracula with pink filters, and eight ball with green filters.

I like how the SBM looks with those magenta/pink filters! Brings out a color that's barely there and balances well. Not for everyone, but it's definitely an option as I'd thought. I do like the blue too though. And I'd need to see the yellow in-person since as you said, the photos don't do it justice. Decisions Decisions

Was the green the darker green or lighter green filter? Kind of looks like the lighter green from the photos, but could be the pic.

#499 7 years ago

I really like that SBM!
I started on my first display, and it's going pretty well so far. It'll probably be a couple of days before I finish this first one, as I've been pretty busy at work. I'll leave some better feedback once I've finished this one and gotten started on the rest of them. I'm really looking forward to having made some working displays out of my pile of old parts!

-Brian, wishing there were more hours in the day.

#500 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words on sbm. It has been a lot of fun seeing some of the different possibilities on it. So many colors I never thought would be available for these old machines
Ace, the green is the lighter one
Hopefully I will get another kit done this weekend

There are 766 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.