New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 255609)

Data East ball trough opto board: *SOLD OUT*

By Davi

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Gunner
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200822_162301 (resized).jpg
20200821_132601 (resized).jpg
20200822_111632 (resized).jpg
20200822_104124 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20200418_114517 (resized).jpg
20200418_112234 (resized).jpg
20200416_162608 (resized).jpg
20200416_203623 (resized).jpg
20200416_203836 (resized).jpg
DE BT.jpg
DE BT.gif

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

This year's batch is sold out.

Original post:

Hello Everyone,
I'm checking to see if there is enough interest to run another batch for 2020. The run will be limited to 40 pieces.
***Status 17th November 2019: 20 slot reserved. List is open for few more days to give a chance for others.
***Status 29th December: material purchasing is in progress. Planned ship date: March, 2020.
***Status 3rd February 2020: manufacturing is in progress. Everything is on track.
***Status 15th March: manufacturing is almost ready, check your Inbox! Let me know if I missed your name.
***Status 2nd of April: shipped, except Australian parcels due to restrictions.

Do you have issues with ball trough micro switches? Do you have to often open the coin door to push the balls? Do you have to wait after ball drain and/or shake the pin due to unresponsive switches? This board will solve these issues.

The ball trough design by Data East is not the most reliable mech in pinball. I have tried new microswitches, old Cherry switches, finetuned the angle - without stable result. I have also sanded the ball trough.

Then, I started to think about a non-contact based solution. There is a reason why Bally/Williams introduced opto boards, and the answer is not cost saving.
My goal was to create an opto board, without any modification of ball trough (no drilling): this means a transceiver and receiver in 1 board, 2 in 1. Therefore, the classic solution (infrared light interrupted by ball), doesn't work here.
12V is required from backbox or from external supply (in case you have many mods, extra supply is recommended anyway). I can offer a plug&play power supply harness.
Other than that, the board use the existing trough wiring.

No more waiting after ball drain, no more ball search due to clogging.

Compatibility:
Jurassic Park
Guns n' Roses
Tales from the Crypt

Should work, but we do not have test results:
Tommy
Last Action Hero
WWFRR

Price is the same as first batch: $70 plus shipping ($15-20), leadtime is about 2 months. Send me a PM in case you are interested (next batch is without T-rex logo).
DE BT.gifDE BT.jpg

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

Hello Everyone,
I'm checking to see if there is enough interest to run another batch for 2020. The run will be limited to 20 pieces.
Do you have issues with ball trough micro switches? Do you have to often open the coin door to push the balls? Do you have to wait after ball drain and/or shake the pin due to unresponsive switches? This board will solve these issues.
The ball trough design by Data East is not the most reliable mech in pinball. I have tried new microswitches, old Cherry switches, finetuned the angle - without stable result. I have also sanded the ball trough.
Then, I started to think about a non-contact based solution. There is a reason why Bally/Williams introduced opto boards, and the answer is not cost saving.
My goal was to create an opto board, without any modification of ball trough (no drilling): this means a transceiver and receiver in 1 board, 2 in 1. Therefore, the classic solution (infrared light interrupted by ball), doesn't work here.
No more waiting after ball drain, no more ball search due to clogging.
Compatibility:
Jurassic Park
Guns n' Roses
Tales from the Crypt
Should work, but we do not have test results:
Tommy
Last Action Hero
WWFRR
Price is the same as first batch: $70 plus shipping ($15-20). Send me a PM in case you are interested (next batch is without T-rex logo).
[quoted image][quoted image]

Count me in.

#3 1 year ago

Need one. My GNR thinks it’s a five shooter...

#4 1 year ago

Shoot, put me down.

#5 1 year ago

I'm picking up TFTC in May of 2020 (a gift from my father-in-law's collection). I've played the table a bunch without ball trough issues, how many people pick one of these up and just install it prophylactically?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I'm picking up TFTC in May of 2020 (a gift from my father-in-law's collection). I've played the table a bunch without ball trough issues, how many people pick one of these up and just install it prophylactically?

I have a TFTC and the issue wasn’t present when I purchased it in August, but now it seems like I’m constantly adjusting the ball trough and it drives me absolutely bonkers. This is pretty much a no brainer for me.

#7 1 year ago

PM sent

#8 1 year ago

For sure interested. Would they just use the existing trough wiring?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from grantopia:

For sure interested. Would they just use the existing trough wiring?

12V is required from backbox or from external supply (in case you have many mods, extra supply is recommended anyway). I can offer a plug&play power supply harness.

#10 1 year ago

Count me in for a set please.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

Awesome thanks. Definitely in for one. I can just make a quick harness too if it's obvious where the 12v should be pulled from.

#12 1 year ago

Are you selling any 3D printed boxes for the external power supply like you did for JP?

#13 1 year ago

I’m in.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Awesome thanks. Definitely in for one. I can just make a quick harness too if it's obvious where the 12v should be pulled from.

That's an easy and quick task.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from TheHueManatee:

Are you selling any 3D printed boxes for the external power supply like you did for JP?

Yes, it's possible. I need to know the dimensions of power supply and also the name of the pin.

#16 1 year ago

Thanks for the intense interest - only 6 slot left.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

Thanks for the intense interest - only 6 slot left.

I am in for one.

#18 1 year ago

I'm in for one.

#19 1 year ago

could you offer a DIY option? I mean, i can can handle a solder iron , and if the price is right, i would buy one too?

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

could you offer a DIY option? I mean, i can can handle a solder iron , and if the price is right, i would buy one too?

I can't provide assembly drawing, and won't have time to create instructions how to place and adjust the optos correctly. So DIY is not an option, sorry.
Especially now - only 1 slot left out of the announced 20 pieces.

#22 1 year ago

In 2 days, we are at the limit, amazing!
Therefore, I will keep the list open for few days to give a chance for others.
Thanks guys for intense interest.

#23 1 year ago

Hm, I guess I'll be a guinea pig for LAH, put me down for one, please!

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

Hm, I guess I'll be a guinea pig for LAH, put me down for one, please!

Would you please post your results back in this thread? Thanks!

#25 1 year ago

I’m in for one

#26 1 year ago

What about starwars DE? Are these the same?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

Yes, it's possible. I need to know the dimensions of power supply and also the name of the pin.

I'll send you a PM shortly.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from koops:

What about starwars DE? Are these the same?

As I know, Starwars DE has an older version ball trough, not the 6-pack assembly.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Would you please post your results back in this thread? Thanks!

I most certainly will!

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

As I know, Starwars DE has an older version ball trough, not the 6-pack assembly.

*slaps forehead* of course. I'm an idiot Thanks.

Add me to the list.

1 x jp + wiring harness
1 x gnr + wiring harness

#31 1 year ago

Is someone doing the harness? I must have missed that.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Juicerc51:

Is someone doing the harness? I must have missed that.

In the first post.

Quoted from Davi:

Hello Everyone,
<snip>
12V is required from backbox or from external supply (in case you have many mods, extra supply is recommended anyway). I can offer a plug&amp;play power supply harness.

1 week later
#33 12 months ago

I'm in

#34 12 months ago

I would like to put one in my JP as my project is currently missing all the trough switches.

#35 11 months ago

If there was any more available I would take one.

2 weeks later
#36 11 months ago

I'm definitely down for one. Posted to Oz

#37 11 months ago

The list is almost full, 4 slots left. Don't miss it, last call

1 week later
#38 11 months ago

Update: material purchasing is in progress.

1 month later
#39 9 months ago

Update:
Manufacturing is in progress. Everything is on track.

1 month later
#40 8 months ago

Update:

***Status 15th March: manufacturing is almost ready, check your Inbox! Let me know if I missed your name.

1 week later
#41 8 months ago

Interested if you have any left!

#42 8 months ago

Any more of these available? Thanks

#43 7 months ago

***Status 2nd of April: shipped, except Australian parcels due to restrictions.

#44 7 months ago

Thanks for the update.

#45 7 months ago

Oh yeah! Can't wait!

#46 7 months ago

Fantastic!

Is there a fitting guide, or is it pretty simple?

Cheers

Cris

#47 7 months ago
Quoted from CrisUK:

Fantastic!
Is there a fitting guide, or is it pretty simple?
Cheers
Cris

I am going to prepare a step by step guide with pictures.
The installation is easy.

#48 7 months ago

PM for 1 x jp + plug&play power supply harness.

1 week later
#49 7 months ago

Received mine today. Neatly packaged in a plastic box to protect it during shipping. Board also looks great, well assembled. Hopefully will have some time this weekend to install.

davi Thanks!

20200416_203623 (resized).jpg20200416_203836 (resized).jpg
#50 7 months ago

Same here - looking forward to getting it in over the next few days!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside