CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
photo 1.jpeg
starlight plastic.jpg
IMG_8996.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2245.JPG
image-461.jpg
CFTBL-Starlight.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thompso9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So I just got a bunch of PM's from RGP as a result of a bump of an old thread about the CFTBL speaker panel mods I made about a year ago. For those of you who aren't aware of the mod, it is designed to work with the CPR repro speaker panel plastics with the light mask. It lights up the taillights of the cars, the moon, UFO, and chases the Starlight sign. I also offered a peel-and-stick vinyl light mask to be used with the original speaker panel plastic if someone didn't want to spring for the new panel. I have a video of it in action that I'll post once I find it again.

It seems there could be enough interest to do another run. I have had some people show interest in a version of this mod that had some lighting effects based on game triggers. So I am interested to know: a) are there are more people who want this mod, b) if there is interest, how much interest is there in a rev 2 mod that will have some lighting effects linked to gameplay, and c) if b, then what kind of effects are you interested in seeing?

Thanks,
Jeff

#14 11 years ago

Well it seems like there is plenty of interest to make another batch...between here and RGP I must have at least 20 people interested. I think what I will be doing is making another batch of the same panels, since I have PCBs and some other parts left over from the first run, and I'll try to add an option to do some light effects based on the game using an add-on module of some sort. That way if you don't care about that feature you can just buy the panel itself and be done.

It would really help me if those of you who are (genuinely) interested in purchasing one of the mods could PM me so that I can make a list. Please only PM if you are definitely planning to follow through and buy one, as I will be using this list to place my material order. The cost this time around is going to be $85 plus shipping, as you all know the cost of parts and goods is only going up and even in the last year electronic components have gotten more expensive. Shipping last time around was a flat $15 to anywhere in the US and I think I can keep that the same.

I am still open to ideas on the game-based effects. Some people mentioned the "Move Your Car" lights as a potential trigger. I was thinking about that too, that and maybe having just the center car's taillights on at the end of a game as the car is driving away on the display - though I'd have to figure out how to detect that the game is over. Fortunately this doesn't have to be decided just yet and it won't stop me from moving forward on the build.

Thanks everyone!

#15 11 years ago

Also I meant to post the link to the video...here it is:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108347230708611651054/CFTBLSpeakerPanelMod?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLrT6Ka6q-WqBg&feat=directlink#

They all appear as photos at first but the fourth one in the list is actually a video.

#28 11 years ago

Thanks for the kudos everyone. Here are some answers to your questions:

1) Can I use the original panel?
Yes, I have created a custom-cut vinyl peel-and-stick mask for using the original speaker panel for $15. The original is set up for backlighting but Bally/WMS applied the black adhesive mask on the back of the panel like they do on many games that completely blacked out the entire panel. This needs to be removed with Goo Gone (or similar) and some elbow grease. If you are willing to do this, then the $15 will save you the cost of the CPR repro panel. Mind you, the CPR panels are very nicely done and the premium version includes the mirrored car bumpers which looks really neat. FYI the video I posted is of my original panel with the light mask as I scratched the crap out of my CPR repro during the development process (there are lots of sharp things in my workshop).
2) What is included?
The panel itself is baltic birch plywood (not cheap MDF like the original), painted black and custom routed to contain the PCBs and other hardware from the original panel. You'll need to transfer over all the metal parts, except t-nuts and display mounting screws, which are already installed, to the new panel. Speaker grilles are also included since the cutting of these is pretty intricate to create openings for the LEDS and i didn't want people to be cursing as they accidentally cut too much off their originals, or cut them jagged and scratched the artwork on the panel, anyway you get the idea. There is a plug and pass-through connector that plugs onto one of the +5V connectors on the power driver board. That's basically it. I will post the installation instructions for the kit when I get a chance so you can all see how it will go.

Now I have to go compile the list of responders...I've been swamped at work so those of you who have PM'd, thanks for doing so and I apologize for not confirming you yet, I will do my best to send out emails tonight.

Jeff

#31 11 years ago

Just bumping this one to make sure that everyone who wants to be on the list for the next run of speaker panels is counted...I have NOT used posts to determine who is on the list, as it's too difficult to correlate them with PMs. So please if you want to be on the list and haven't already done so PM me and if you could include your email that will help make sure I produce the right # of panels.

Thanks,
Jeff

#37 11 years ago

The way I'm proceeding on rev 2 is this: first off I've added independent control of all taillight LEDs (rev 1 had them grouped). Second, I've added an intelligent serial interface to the controller board that will be able to interface to another board that I will offer as an upgrade option later on. The upgrade board will be a snooper that looks at the switch and lamp matrices and will be able to override the default light show on the panel via the serial interface. Doing it this way will give people options and not put a financial burden on those customers who don't care about game triggers. When I make the upgrade kit I may offer a way for the end-user to customize the triggers, but only if I am able to make it easy to do. The last thing I'd want to do is make something that becomes a support nightmare.

Jeff

Quoted from j_m_:

donjagra:
I'm not sure if I like that. it's too busy and distracting for my liking, I'd rather have them all on or off and then get triggered (again either all of them, or maybe one set) for a specific event like "move your car"
otherwise, I'm more than happy with what jeff has done so far and is offering
jeff:
should you choose to provide a v2.0 option, how easy would it be for those of us that purchased the current version to upgrade if we wanted to (eg. would it be a code change with either a chip swap/flash update, or something more complex like a wiring change which really wouldn't be feasible?

1 week later
#48 11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Things are moving along here and I thought I'd share the details with everyone. Apart from the holidays, we just found out we are expecting our fourth child (say a prayer for a girl!) and that put me into something of a frenzy. I ended up liquidating half of my pinball collection, partly for cash but partly so that I can actually start finishing my basement. I know in 8 months that won't be a possibility anymore...

Now for the CFTBL panel update: PCB design is done. PCBs are out for fabrication and parts are on order. I expect to have them back in a week's time, at which point I need to get my guy started building them, I don't think it will be cost-effective to have the PCBs machine built so they will likely be assembled by hand like the first batch. Also the plywood for the panels is in-house, it will take 4 5'x5' sheets of 1/2" Baltic Birch, planed down to 0.4" to match the original panel, to make the quantity of panels I need.

Because everything has been ordered at this point, the preorder is technically closed. However I do have 6 panels that are unaccounted for in this run so if anyone still wants in, now would be the time. I will be making these panels no matter what, so they will be available later if no one claims them now.

I hope to have another update in a week or so. At that time I'll talk about the new functionality that these panels have over the rev 1 panels that I ran last time. Until then, take care everyone and try not let the holiday stress take your sanity!

Thanks,
Jeff

4 months later
#89 10 years ago

Hey everyone, sorry to be absent from the thread for so long...I didn't even think to check it until people started telling me they were receiving their panels. Thanks to all the guys who kept people updated while I was working on panels (among lots of other things). I need to keep in mind that the Pinside community is full of awesome - and patient - people!

Although panels are still shipping, I am looking ahead to other mod projects already. The game integration upgrade is probably next on the list. I plan to keep it as simple and therefore inexpensive as possible, I know many of you have already shelled out a lot of cash to make this mod happen on your games.

After that, I am open to suggestions. I typically like to do a mod for a game that I own but my collection has shrunk recently to only three games. I was thinking a backlight kit would be cool for TZ which is in my collection now. I also have a WMS IJ but haven't thought much about a good mod for that - animated lost plastic backlight maybe? Anyway I'm serious about suggestions, bring 'em on.

Finally to anyone who didn't make it onto the CFTBL speaker panel list and wants one, just PM me here on Pinside and I'll add you to the wait list. Already there are enough names on the list to justify another run and I have some extra bare panels sitting around that just need PCBs fabbed for them, so I may be able to get them done quicker than last time.

Thanks,
Jeff

9 months later
#201 10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I figure this is the best way to get word out that the latest run of CFTBL speaker panel LED kits is going to be available very soon. PCBs are on order now and parts are coming in for the new build.

Here are the changes/improvements in this latest revision:

1) All connectors encapsulated in the panel: ColorDMD and other mods should fit without interference now due to the fact that there is no wire harness connecting the LED boards together externally. Everything is done inside the cavities in the panel now and won't even be visible from the back anymore (save the power entry connector).

2) Jumper-selectable taillight behavior: A jumper will configure whether the taillights are always on or dynamic.

3) Thinner PCBs: This will move the LED boards back from the bezel a bit and allow the light to spread out more to reduce pinpoint brightness issues.

As before the panel still supports game integration features that I have been dragging my feet on implementing. I have a PCB design that should do the trick and need to get that done after these ship.

Price is $149. I know this is a bit more than last time but costs never seem to go down anymore, everything costs more each time I do this. Shipping is generally via USPS Priority Mail for $15 anywhere in the contiguous US, but I do also ship elsewhere, at various rates.

Shipping will occur in groups as soon as I get the PCBs back from the assembler. This is the biggest unknown right now as this is not a huge job for them and they need to squeeze it in between other stuff. But things are on track and I want to make sure everyone knows that this next batch is definitely going to happen.

More updates to come, maybe with some pictures next time. Thanks for your patience everyone. Any questions feel free to post here or PM me.

Jeff

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Hey! What if there is no new run of the speaker panel lights kit and this was just a ruse to get us all to buy deluxe mirrored panels from PPS?

It's an evil plot to take over the world through pinball plastics!! Mwahahahah (tapping fingers together maniacally).

The CPR repros are very nice and I encourage people to get one if you can (especially the mirrored bumper version), but as always I offer the vinyl light mask that can be used to make the original speaker panel plastic work with the mod too. The light mask is $10 if you buy it with a panel so if there's a shortage of CPR repros it's a cheap and easy way to make the mod work.

And this run had better happen or I'm going to be looking for ideas on what to make out of a few hundred custom PCBs.

1 week later
#221 10 years ago

So for all those who are waiting, here is an update on the next run of CFTBL panels:

Bare boards are in! They look great and I've already hand-populated one board set to try out. The pics below show the result. I have the PCB fabricator tooling up to build the rest, and parts are arriving daily. Notice that the entire design is now connectorized, no wiring harness save for power entry. This means that everything will be concealed inside the panel, so there's nothing to interfere with ColorDMDs. Also check out how thin the boards are, only 0.020" thick! This will move the LEDs back a bit from the plastic and spread the light more. Plus the board is now white which will also help to increase light spread.

I do need to get my hands on a FF/Pinball Pro speaker set to determine if there is any interference there since people did have some issues with the previous revision. From the looks of it these kits come with an MDF mounting block for each speaker?? Is that true of both FF and Pinball Pro types of speaker kits?

DSC_4577.JPGDSC_4577.JPG
DSC_4580.JPGDSC_4580.JPG
DSC_4581.JPGDSC_4581.JPG
DSC_4584.JPGDSC_4584.JPG

1 month later
#241 10 years ago

Hi again everyone, another update...

PCBs were run today, though I haven't gotten them yet. The speaker grilles are due in next week, and I am cutting plywood. As with all good things in pinball, this one has taken time, but at least we're in the home stretch.

For those who have asked to be on the list, I am going through my PM's to try and respond to each one. I have been swamped lately and haven't been able to check for a while so there are probably a lot of you waiting for responses. Sorry about that.

The next set of pictures I post will (hopefully) be of the completed first article of this run.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Jeff

3 weeks later
#242 10 years ago

Just a quick update, everyone, not much time these days to pontificate:

CNC cutting last 4 panels (right this moment as a matter of fact!)
DSC_4691.JPGDSC_4691.JPG

Stack of panels ready to be painted
DSC_4693.JPGDSC_4693.JPG

The new batch of speaker grilles...
DSC_4699.JPGDSC_4699.JPGDSC_4700.JPGDSC_4700.JPG

Some panels getting t-nuts
DSC_4695.JPGDSC_4695.JPG

You've all been very patiently waiting, and I thank you for that. They are really almost done now!

Thanks,
Jeff

2 weeks later
#254 9 years ago

Hi all,

The wait is over! CFTBL panels are slated to start shipping this month! I'll be notifying the first shipping group by email (or Pinside mail, whichever I happen to have on file) in the next 2 weeks. The emails will include payment instructions and a serial # to help me match up people with panels.

Here are some pics of a finished panel. You'll see in the pictures below that there is a new component added to the design, a light block to prevent bleed from letter to letter over the Starlight sign. This, in my opinion, was needed because of the change over to the white circuit boards, and because the boards are now further back from the panel plastic. While this spreads the light out more and fights "hotspots" in the lighting, it does also give the light more opportunity to bleed over to neighboring areas where it doesn't belong. With the addition of the light block the sign looks much more crisp during animation.

What's really cool is the view from the inside of the panel - no wires save for the power connector! Everything is wide open for ColorDMD to lay down flat with no interference.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. This has been the biggest batch of panels yet and I've brought some other people into the process so we can get LED panels for some other titles out there as well. TZ is a likely next game but others have been discussed. Suggestions are welcome.

Jeff

Panel with (original) speaker panel plastic overlaid
DSC_4976.JPGDSC_4976.JPG

Panel with speaker panel removed
DSC_4977.JPGDSC_4977.JPG

Light blocking insert in action
DSC_4978.JPGDSC_4978.JPG
DSC_4984.JPGDSC_4984.JPG

Back of panel - no more connectors
DSC_4986.JPGDSC_4986.JPG

3 weeks later
#310 9 years ago

Thor-NL I do have you on the list...

FYI everyone who is still waiting, the only hold-up at the moment is that I am waiting for more holo stickers from Planetary Pinball. I waited till the last minute to pay my license fees (for the speaker grille artwork, don't want any C&D letters) and as a result I am now just waiting on them so I can pack and ship. Expect another round of payment requests in about 1 week.

Phetishboy what speaker upgrade do you have?

Thanks!

Jeff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thompso9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-advice-on-cftbl-speaker-panel-led-mod-re-run?tu=thompso9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.