CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
photo 1.jpeg
starlight plastic.jpg
IMG_8996.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2245.JPG
image-461.jpg
CFTBL-Starlight.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pnorth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from netminda:

...they were great, just not sure how this taillight mod differs from the one on this thread. It's a bit expensive at $400, so I wanted to check if anyone has purchased this before I go ahead and buy it. Also hoping to get a bit of an education on how these two mods differ.

I agree... Joey at Pinball Decals was great to deal with, and shipped this mod out to me quickly and well packaged. That said, I'm pretty disappointed in the mod itself. At $400, I was expecting a lot more of a polished product. Installation required a lot of re-engineering to get it assembled and working.

A friend of mine has the mod from the OP of this thread, and I liked it so much that I wanted one too. Unfortunately, they differ quite a bit. First, the replacement MDF speaker panel board is not painted black, so you see the MDF colour through the DMD window and the small speaker mesh. As such, I had to mask the LED's and PCB and spray it black myself.

The metal hooks that hold the speaker panel in place in the machine had to be re-drilled, otherwise they would have broken one of the LED's and shorted out on it. I had to wrap the hook in electrical tape to prevent shorting on both terminals of the LED.

The Pinball Decals kit doesn't include replacement speaker panel mesh, so be prepared to drill out the holes in your originals for the LED's, or use side-cutters to snip the mesh to the shape of the "Starlight" letters, star, and Drive-in sign. Also, there is nothing to diffuse the LED's, so you end up with a single spot of light rather than the light filling the image. This is not a problem whatsoever in the tail lights (they look great), but on the Moon especially, all you get is a blue dot in the centre of the Moon while the rest of it is dark. The Starlight letters also suffer from the same problem, but the Moon is very obvious and just looks cheap.

There were several other issues with alignment of bolt holes, connectors, and even short 2 of the 4 spacers that are included parts.

Basically, it's a project. I understand that pins weren't made at a Swiss watch factory, and that every hole isn't perfectly aligned. It's just that at $400, the Pinball Decals mod should be AT LEAST AS GOOD as the one made by the OP for a lot less money, and it's far from it. Bill Ung's saucer mod for AFM, or Ingo Kramer's TZ clock board are great examples of unbelievable quality in a more expensive mod. This one has nowhere near the level of quality.

As I said before, I have no problem with Joey or Pinball Decals, but I couldn't recommend this mod to anyone at that price. For what you actually get, it's probably about $300 over-priced. If the OP does another run of his, I will buy one from him... and I've already got one installed. My advice, save your money and wait.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.00
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pnorth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-advice-on-cftbl-speaker-panel-led-mod-re-run?tu=pnorth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.