CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
photo 1.jpeg
starlight plastic.jpg
IMG_8996.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2245.JPG
image-461.jpg
CFTBL-Starlight.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grb1959.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 11 years ago

I got my CFTBL speaker panel LED mod yesterday and installed it today. It was easy to install and it works great. This is definitely one of the better pinball mods I have seen.

Gord

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Gord, were you on the early part of the list? I ask because I haven't heard back from Jeff yet. Last update was a few weeks ago that he's nearly done.

Hi dmacy,

I have serial # 2005. Yes, the speaker panel has a small metal tag on the inside of the speaker panel etched with your serial number. It is that kind of attention to detail that makes this such a great mod.

I sent Jeff an email on Nov. 14, 2012, asking to reserve a spot and on Nov. 15, 2012, Jeff responded that I had a spot reserved with serial # 2005. I don't know if this is considered early or not.

On Monday, April 15, Jeff sent an email stating that the mods were complete and that payment was due so I sent him funding via PayPal early on Tuesday, April 16, and I received the speaker panel LED mod kit on Friday, April 19.

I have Pinball Pro speakers in the backbox and the right side speaker is larger than the small factory tweeter so I used a small coping saw to notch the plastic Pinball Pro speaker mount to accommodate the small molex interconnectors on the right side of the speaker panel.

If I would have had the regular factory speaker on the right side the installation would have been even easier. Even with the slight modification that I had to perform on the plastic Pinball Pro speaker mount it was still a very simple installation.

I purchased the CPR deluxe mirrored speaker panel well over a year ago and it looks great with this mod as the LED's line up absolutely perfectly with the tail lights on the cars. Also the blue LED's in the Starlight Drive-In sign cycle and it is really a very nice effect. The tail lights on the cars randomly turn on/off and occasionally a car will pump its brake lights. The UFO lights up nicely and also blinks at times and the moon is nice and brightly lit behind the clouds.

Gord

1 week later
#103 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballrebel:

This has to be the best laid out and engineered mod I have ever seen.
This is so above and beyond what usually sells for a mod it isn't even in the same category.
I installed mine over the last two days.
Are the brake lights on the cars supposed to be pretty random? A few of mine seem to come on and off at times. Not flicker just all the way or off.
I shot a video of mine here
» YouTube video
Im beyond in for the game-play integration board too!
Beyond happy with mod!
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

Hi Ken,

Yes, the tail lights go off and on at various times. This is completely normal.

I asked Jeff Thompson about this via email and here is what he said.

'On the previous revision the tail lights were on all the time. I added the dynamic effects due to popular demand.'

I also agree with you regarding the overall design of this mod. It is extremely professional in both looks and performance.

Gord

2 months later
#122 10 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I have an extra brand new panel from CPR with the protective clear plastic on it. It is the one with the chrome bumpers and the light block for the tail lights. I have been thinking of selling. Does any know how much is worth?

I bought the deluxe speaker panel with chrome bumpers new from CPR around 2.5 years ago for $89 + shipping from Canada. Total cost was $104 if my memory serves me correctly.

I know these speaker panels are not being made at the moment and are currently unavailable so a fair price might be a little more than I paid back then.

Gord

1 year later
#418 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

A question for those of you who, like me, have already received and installed their kits: did you leave the jumper in the default position (where pairs of taillights occasionally turn off and then back on a while later) or switch the jumper to the other position (where all the taillights stay on all the time)?

I like the more random effect of the tail lights occasionally turning off and then back on later. It is more like the actual Drive-In experience when the lights are somewhat random instead of always staying on.

Gord

1 month later
#456 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Is one of your tail lights out?

Hi Tom,

Nope, that is the normal intended effect. There is a jumper that you can set on the panel that controls how the lights operate.

I have mine set so that the effect is the more realistic random pattern where the tail lights go off and on at various intervals and the brake lights also come off and on at various intervals. The other option is to set the jumper so that all the tail lights are on all the time which seems less realistic to me.

Gord

4 months later
#503 9 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I'm not certain where the jumper is? I don't want to damage anything. Is it on the left side or right? Pulls straight up? Thanks

See photo below. I have circled the jumper in your photo. I don't know if removing this applies the dynamic effect or not, but you can always put the jumper back. Yes, it pulls straight up. Use a small pair of needle-nose pliers or a pair of tweezers to remove the jumper.

Gord

347915-i.jpg347915-i.jpg

7 months later
#529 8 years ago

I have a version 2 (# 2005) and I previously owned a version 3 (# 3036) of the LED speaker panel mod. I recently sold the version 3 to a fellow Pinsider which I believe was designed to have the proper clearance to work with a Color DMD. I have the version 2 installed on my CFTBL and do not have a Color DMD.

There have been 3 versions to date.

Version 1 - Tail lights always on (see post # 535 below for how to make this version Color DMD compatible).
Version 2 - Tail lights may be set to always on or randomly on (dynamic effect) via jumper (may not be Color DMD compatible unless the speaker panel is modified).
Version 3 - Basically the same as version 2 with the allowance of more clearance so that the panel is also compatible with a Color DMD without further modification.

If you go back 3-4 pages or so in this thread and read up you will notice that some folks are using the Color DMD with this speaker panel mod. I don't know if they are using it with version 2 and making a modification to the speaker panel to make it work or are using it with version 3 which should not require any additional modification to the speaker panel to function with the Color DMD.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding of the different versions of the CFTBL LED speaker panel mod to date. If anyone else has any different experiences please correct me and I will update this post.

Gord

#534 8 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Looks like I'm mistaken. What I thought was version 2 is actually version 3? I didn't know there were 3 runs of this, I thought there were only 2.

No worries. I purchased 2 different versions of the speaker panel mod and I am not 100 percent certain as to all the differences between the 3 different versions.

Gord

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grb1959.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-advice-on-cftbl-speaker-panel-led-mod-re-run?tu=grb1959 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.