CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
photo 1.jpeg
starlight plastic.jpg
IMG_8996.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2245.JPG
image-461.jpg
CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
#201 10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I figure this is the best way to get word out that the latest run of CFTBL speaker panel LED kits is going to be available very soon. PCBs are on order now and parts are coming in for the new build.

Here are the changes/improvements in this latest revision:

1) All connectors encapsulated in the panel: ColorDMD and other mods should fit without interference now due to the fact that there is no wire harness connecting the LED boards together externally. Everything is done inside the cavities in the panel now and won't even be visible from the back anymore (save the power entry connector).

2) Jumper-selectable taillight behavior: A jumper will configure whether the taillights are always on or dynamic.

3) Thinner PCBs: This will move the LED boards back from the bezel a bit and allow the light to spread out more to reduce pinpoint brightness issues.

As before the panel still supports game integration features that I have been dragging my feet on implementing. I have a PCB design that should do the trick and need to get that done after these ship.

Price is $149. I know this is a bit more than last time but costs never seem to go down anymore, everything costs more each time I do this. Shipping is generally via USPS Priority Mail for $15 anywhere in the contiguous US, but I do also ship elsewhere, at various rates.

Shipping will occur in groups as soon as I get the PCBs back from the assembler. This is the biggest unknown right now as this is not a huge job for them and they need to squeeze it in between other stuff. But things are on track and I want to make sure everyone knows that this next batch is definitely going to happen.

More updates to come, maybe with some pictures next time. Thanks for your patience everyone. Any questions feel free to post here or PM me.

Jeff

#202 10 years ago

This sounds really good. Can't wait to get one.

#203 10 years ago

sent you a pm. thanks for update.

#204 10 years ago

yeah, baby!!!!

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

yeah, baby!!!!

+1 ^^^^^^^^^

#206 10 years ago

Awesome, can't wait to add one to my Creech.

Thanks Jeff!

Jeff R.

#207 10 years ago

i am so psyched to hear this......

#208 10 years ago

Thanks Jeff!

#209 10 years ago

This link works, but I don't see the panel there. Where are people getting the panel?

#210 10 years ago

I just ordered mine from PPS. All 3 versions in stock

#212 10 years ago

And Pinbits still has their version listed as "coming soon" : http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=493

3 years later. Maybe time to take that down.

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

deluxe (mirrored) speaker panel: $89.00 (available through this direct link, but doesn't show on the site)
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=PPS-31-1420-20018-DLX&Category_Code=GS-588

Thanks for the link! I just ordered mine.

#214 10 years ago

I can't wait. This is going to be awesome. I went to planetrypinball and it looks like they are out of stock already on the deluxe version!

#215 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I just ordered mine from PPS. All 3 versions in stock

Quoted from Sea-Monkey:

Thanks for the link! I just ordered mine.

I ordered one today off that link, too!

Hey! What if there is no new run of the speaker panel lights kit and this was just a ruse to get us all to buy deluxe mirrored panels from PPS?

#216 10 years ago

Awesome news Jeff! I wouldn't worry about that price, its perfect for what you are delivering! Thanks for the update.

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Hey! What if there is no new run of the speaker panel lights kit and this was just a ruse to get us all to buy deluxe mirrored panels from PPS?

It's an evil plot to take over the world through pinball plastics!! Mwahahahah (tapping fingers together maniacally).

The CPR repros are very nice and I encourage people to get one if you can (especially the mirrored bumper version), but as always I offer the vinyl light mask that can be used to make the original speaker panel plastic work with the mod too. The light mask is $10 if you buy it with a panel so if there's a shortage of CPR repros it's a cheap and easy way to make the mod work.

And this run had better happen or I'm going to be looking for ideas on what to make out of a few hundred custom PCBs.

#218 10 years ago

This mod is well done, very cool, adds a lot to the look of the game and is very reasonably priced. Anyone who owns a CFTBL should get this mod--it is that good. I'm sure as soon as you finish this next run the line will start forming for the next one...

#219 10 years ago

The mirrored look looks great on Jeff's mod. From a happy first version from last year buyer, it's a well done mod that's well done and thought out.

Mirrored vs. original but hard to tell. The lack of grills one is the Deluxe mirrored CPR. It looks much better in person.

IMG_3568.jpgIMG_3568.jpg
#220 10 years ago

Put me on this list - been waiting for this one to come back around.

1 week later
#221 10 years ago

So for all those who are waiting, here is an update on the next run of CFTBL panels:

Bare boards are in! They look great and I've already hand-populated one board set to try out. The pics below show the result. I have the PCB fabricator tooling up to build the rest, and parts are arriving daily. Notice that the entire design is now connectorized, no wiring harness save for power entry. This means that everything will be concealed inside the panel, so there's nothing to interfere with ColorDMDs. Also check out how thin the boards are, only 0.020" thick! This will move the LEDs back a bit from the plastic and spread the light more. Plus the board is now white which will also help to increase light spread.

I do need to get my hands on a FF/Pinball Pro speaker set to determine if there is any interference there since people did have some issues with the previous revision. From the looks of it these kits come with an MDF mounting block for each speaker?? Is that true of both FF and Pinball Pro types of speaker kits?

DSC_4577.JPGDSC_4577.JPG
DSC_4580.JPGDSC_4580.JPG
DSC_4581.JPGDSC_4581.JPG
DSC_4584.JPGDSC_4584.JPG

#222 10 years ago

Put me on the list as well even though I have asked 10 other times before through emails and posts on Pinside. Thanks Jeff

#223 10 years ago

I just had a little movement

#224 10 years ago

Probably a dumb question, but for those of us with the previous version, would it be possible and reasonably practical to transfer your new PCBs onto the panel from the prior version? I would like to clean it up back there without having to buy the entire package again.
Thanks,
Shawn

#225 10 years ago

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Probably a dumb question, but for those of us with the previous version, would it be possible and reasonably practical to transfer your new PCBs onto the panel from the prior version? I would like to clean it up back there without having to buy the entire package again.
Thanks,
Shawn

I can't speak for mr. thompson, but I rather doubt it. the original set up had individual sections routed into the custom made speaker panel to accommodate several, separate pc boards.

if jeff has managed to connect all of the boards together, then you would need a new speaker panel which is routed accordingly. and even if the new continuous pc board could be tacked to the older speaker panel, the lighting probably wouldn't look correct since the amount of space between the plastic silk screened speaker panel plastic and the pc boards would now be almost 1/2". this would cause the lights to "bleed" over several of the light masked areas.

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I can't speak for mr. thompson, but I rather doubt it. the original set up had individual sections routed into the custom made speaker panel to accommodate several, separate pc boards.

I'm not at home to look at mine, but I was hoping it was only routed for the LEDs and not the boards, thus a similar configuration.

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I'm not at home to look at mine, but I was hoping it was only routed for the LEDs and not the boards, thus a similar configuration.

now that you say that, I can't confirm either (I'm at work too!) but I could have sworn that the original pc boards were inset, hence the "pin-hole" lighting issue that jeff claimed would be fixed with this iteration by moving the surface mounted LEDs back a bit

edit:
a-ha! found an image of the v1 speaker panel mod. the original pc boards are inset. (he routed and installed them [via screws] from the front side)

CftBL speaker panel mod.jpgCftBL speaker panel mod.jpg

#229 10 years ago

I've been waiting for my email for almost a year. I'm still in.

#230 10 years ago

Whats the process here? Just PM him to get one when they are ready? Havent got a reponse.

#231 10 years ago

That's the process, now get in line and shut up

#232 10 years ago

Jeff - any updates? I'm in!!

2 weeks later
#233 10 years ago

Just received my Deluxe Speaker Panel from PPS.
Ordered a color DMD
Now I just need this sweet Thompson MOD and CREECH will have a make over!!
Can't Wait!!
Any updates Jeff ??

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from jimmyb:

Just received my Deluxe Speaker Panel from PPS. Ordered a color DMD .Now I just need this sweet Thompson MOD and CREECH will have a make over! Can't Wait! Any updates Jeff?

I've already got my deluxe speaker panel and a ColorDMD. Just waiting for word on this lighted kit (I was told mine would be in the second group made from the current run). Want to install the three at the same time, of course.

#235 10 years ago

I was also thinking of the speaker upgrade kit.
I put one in my BSD and it sounds killer.
How does it sound in CFTBL? Anyone?

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from jimmyb:

I was also thinking of the speaker upgrade kit.I put one in my BSD and it sounds killer.How does it sound in CFTBL? Anyone?

I bought a set of Pinball Pro speakers intending to use them on CFTBL, but the subwoofer would interfere with the hologram and projector light, so I used the speakers on TZ instead.

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I bought a set of Pinball Pro speakers intending to use them on CFTBL, but the subwoofer would interfere with the hologram and projector light, so I used the speakers on TZ instead.

Good to know! Thanks for the info!!

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from jimmyb:

I was also thinking of the speaker upgrade kit.
I put one in my BSD and it sounds killer.
How does it sound in CFTBL? Anyone?

I installed a set of FF speakers with no big problems. I did have to cut a couple of notches in the panel speaker spacers to get them to fit, but Jeff is going to fix this issue for the next run. This is the best speaker upgrade I have made on any of my games--it made the most difference in sound quality--can't recommend it enough.

#239 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I installed a set of FF speakers with no big problems. I did have to cut a couple of notches in the panel speaker spacers to get them to fit, but Jeff is going to fix this issue for the next run. This is the best speaker upgrade I have made on any of my games--it made the most difference in sound quality--can't recommend it enough.

So the lower cabinet sub speaker fit OK?

#240 10 years ago

Yup.

#241 10 years ago

Hi again everyone, another update...

PCBs were run today, though I haven't gotten them yet. The speaker grilles are due in next week, and I am cutting plywood. As with all good things in pinball, this one has taken time, but at least we're in the home stretch.

For those who have asked to be on the list, I am going through my PM's to try and respond to each one. I have been swamped lately and haven't been able to check for a while so there are probably a lot of you waiting for responses. Sorry about that.

The next set of pictures I post will (hopefully) be of the completed first article of this run.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Jeff

3 weeks later
#242 10 years ago

Just a quick update, everyone, not much time these days to pontificate:

CNC cutting last 4 panels (right this moment as a matter of fact!)
DSC_4691.JPGDSC_4691.JPG

Stack of panels ready to be painted
DSC_4693.JPGDSC_4693.JPG

The new batch of speaker grilles...
DSC_4699.JPGDSC_4699.JPGDSC_4700.JPGDSC_4700.JPG

Some panels getting t-nuts
DSC_4695.JPGDSC_4695.JPG

You've all been very patiently waiting, and I thank you for that. They are really almost done now!

Thanks,
Jeff

#244 10 years ago

Can't wait. Thanks for all the hard work!

#245 10 years ago

Excellent news! Looking good!

#246 10 years ago

I am sooo psyched

#247 10 years ago

Mo too

#248 10 years ago

Looking great! Thanks for doing these!

#249 10 years ago

Man, waiting for something awesome is so hard to do

#250 10 years ago

Just wanna make sure I'm still on the list. It's been a little over a year since my last pm/email from you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 24.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-advice-on-cftbl-speaker-panel-led-mod-re-run/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.