CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
photo 1.jpeg
starlight plastic.jpg
IMG_8996.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2245.JPG
image-461.jpg
CFTBL-Starlight.JPG

There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
#501 6 years ago

Looks like the jumper is there. Remove it and restart your game. The tail lights will start to go on and off after a couple of minutes.

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#502 6 years ago

I'm not certain where the jumper is? I don't want to damage anything. Is it on the left side or right? Pulls straight up? Thanks

#503 6 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I'm not certain where the jumper is? I don't want to damage anything. Is it on the left side or right? Pulls straight up? Thanks

See photo below. I have circled the jumper in your photo. I don't know if removing this applies the dynamic effect or not, but you can always put the jumper back. Yes, it pulls straight up. Use a small pair of needle-nose pliers or a pair of tweezers to remove the jumper.

Gord

347915-i.jpg

#504 6 years ago

Instructions should have come with the panel on what to do with the jumper. If not let me know and I will email you the instructions.

#505 6 years ago

Thanks for your Help! Removing the jumper completely started the taillights to be dynamic.

1 week later
#506 6 years ago

I have one LED out on my mod.

3 weeks later
#507 6 years ago

I have been trying to find someone who may have bought this CFTBL taillight mod and not used it, but I have had no luck. Had a few leads, but nothing has panned out. I was in a bit of a pinball hibernation period when this pre-order happened and now I am kicking myself for missing out.

The only one close I found is on Pinballdecals.com. I bought the polished chrome TZ lamp from them and the transaction went smoothly...they were great, just not sure how this taillight mod differs from the one on this thread. It's a bit expensive at $400, so I wanted to check if anyone has purchased this before I go ahead and buy it. Also hoping to get a bit of an education on how these two mods differ.

Thanks, Rob

http://www.pinballdecals.com/CFTBL_TailLightModPage.html

#508 6 years ago

I don't know anything about the other mod. If it is not Jeff's mod, I'd wait until he does another run. His mod is the best and most reasonably priced mod, ever.

#509 6 years ago

Certainly a better, cleaner design and easier to install. This generation which is flex circuit based is really, REALLY nice...

Jaz

Quoted from Billy16:

I don't know anything about the other mod. If it is not Jeff's mod, I'd wait until he does another run. His mod is the best and most reasonably priced mod, ever.

#510 6 years ago

I missed the original run/runs as well. I ended up finding one on ebay that someone didn't use.
Price was about the same as the original from Jeff?
Be patient and it will either be run again or one will pop up.

#511 6 years ago

I buy one if there was another run, one of the coolest pinball mods I've seen.

#512 6 years ago

I missed out on this kit two runs ago and was lucky to get one in the last run. It looks fantastic when installed with a ColorDMD and the mirrored-bumpers speaker panel plastic!

#513 6 years ago

yeah, I'm still waiting for another run and hopefully hit my name on the list. CFTBL has always been my favorite and this is so needed to add to my game

3 weeks later
#514 6 years ago

For you guys that also have installed this mod and don't know what to do with the old black wooden speaker-panel....

Make it a base for an CFTBL-Topper

2015-03-10 23.09.22.jpg

(picture and video made with an iPhone, so colors look better in person, but you get the idea

1 month later
#515 6 years ago

Bump...still looking for one of these Creature taillight mods if anyone has one for sale. These are tough to come by...seems to be enough interest for another run.

Thx, Rob

#516 6 years ago

I'd certainly buy one.

1 week later
#517 6 years ago

I'd buy this custom lit panel (and I don't even own a CFTBL yet).
This is such a cool mod, I'd hate to miss out on the second chance to get one.
Please PM me if these are ever run again -- I'll surely find the pin after the fact!

1 week later
#518 6 years ago

I would buy for sure if there is a another run of these

#519 6 years ago

Im in for a couple if another run happened

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from twista22:

I would buy for sure if there is a another run of these

Ditto

3 weeks later
#521 6 years ago

Managed to find one of these mods, so while the quest continues for a mint example of CFTBL to install it to, I do have an interim question for the others that already have this mod along with a ColorDMD installed.

Did you need to modify the molex connectors below the DMD window as to not interfere with the larger colorDMD screen? I tried scanning the 11 pages of this thread and see others using it with the ColorDMD, but not sure if any tweaking was required.

-Brian

#522 6 years ago

I have a mint Creature and have been looking to purchase this mod. Happy to purchase one when they become available.

#523 6 years ago

Me too, I just bought a Creature 3 days ago!

#524 6 years ago

Desperately want this mod!

#525 6 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

Managed to find one of these mods, so while the quest continues for a mint example of CFTBL to install it to, I do have an interim question for the others that already have this mod along with a ColorDMD installed.
Did you need to modify the molex connectors below the DMD window as to not interfere with the larger colorDMD screen? I tried scanning the 11 pages of this thread and see others using it with the ColorDMD, but not sure if any tweaking was required.
-Brian

hi brian,
it depends on which version of the speaker panel mod that you managed to obtain. on v1 of jeff's speaker panel the molex connectors [could] potentially interfere with the installation of a colorDMD mod. there were two alternatives to correct the issue.
1) remove and install a right angled male pin header to the center molex connector (providing the necessary clearance between the molex connector and the front of the colorDMD display)
or
2) insert four 1/8" tall spacers (on each the screws [in between the backside of the speaker panel and the front of] the colorDMD) so that there is enough clearance between the display and the center molex connector from the speaker panel.

option 2 will move the colorDMD display back just a bit, but not enough to distract of be noticeable.

I hope this answer helps answer your question

2 months later
#526 6 years ago

And just landed a CFTBL, so time to set that up and unbox the speaker panel mod and make 'em work!
And after getting home, I opened up the speaker panel mod, at is is labeled Model 2 #002010
Looking at it, it appears that the molex connecters will interfere.
Hoping for some conformation...

#527 6 years ago

bump - any feedback with what might need to be done to a Model 2 Lit Speaker Panel to be compatible wit ha colordmd?

#528 6 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

bump - any feedback with what might need to be done to a Model 2 Lit Speaker Panel to be compatible wit ha colordmd?

If by "Model 2" you mean the second generation, or Version 2 of the speaker panel mod, then nothing needs to be done. Version 2 of the mod was designed to not have any interference issues with the color DMD.

#529 6 years ago

I have a version 2 (# 2005) and I previously owned a version 3 (# 3036) of the LED speaker panel mod. I recently sold the version 3 to a fellow Pinsider which I believe was designed to have the proper clearance to work with a Color DMD. I have the version 2 installed on my CFTBL and do not have a Color DMD.

There have been 3 versions to date.

Version 1 - Tail lights always on (see post # 535 below for how to make this version Color DMD compatible).
Version 2 - Tail lights may be set to always on or randomly on (dynamic effect) via jumper (may not be Color DMD compatible unless the speaker panel is modified).
Version 3 - Basically the same as version 2 with the allowance of more clearance so that the panel is also compatible with a Color DMD without further modification.

If you go back 3-4 pages or so in this thread and read up you will notice that some folks are using the Color DMD with this speaker panel mod. I don't know if they are using it with version 2 and making a modification to the speaker panel to make it work or are using it with version 3 which should not require any additional modification to the speaker panel to function with the Color DMD.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding of the different versions of the CFTBL LED speaker panel mod to date. If anyone else has any different experiences please correct me and I will update this post.

Gord

#530 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

If by "Model 2" you mean the second generation, or Version 2 of the speaker panel mod, then nothing needs to be done. Version 2 of the mod was designed to not have any interference issues with the color DMD.

Looks like I'm mistaken. What I thought was version 2 is actually version 3? I didn't know there were 3 runs of this, I thought there were only 2.

#531 6 years ago

I'm going to try to get clarification from Jeff, though in re-reading the 11 pages of this post, it appears that there may have been three versions:

Version 1 / model 1 - haven't found any pictures (maybe it was hand drilled and wired?)
Version 1 / model 2 - With green PCBs and the perpendicular Molex connectors that interfere with a ColorDMD
Version 2 (2014?) - Made with the low profile flexible circuits, designed not to interfere with ColorDMD.

If I get clarification from Jeff, I'll certainly post it here.

And if I can obtain the latest version (compatible with ColorDMD), I'll certainly offer the never-installed 'model 2' I have to someone that doesn't plan to install a ColorDMD in their Creech.

#532 6 years ago

I would love to buy a previous version from someone who needs the color DMD one. I have no intention to install a color DMD so it makes no difference to me.

#533 6 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

I would love to buy a previous version from someone who needs the color DMD one. I have no intention to install a color DMD so it makes no difference to me.

If you decide to part with it I'd be interested in purchasing it. Not easy to find these days

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Looks like I'm mistaken. What I thought was version 2 is actually version 3? I didn't know there were 3 runs of this, I thought there were only 2.

No worries. I purchased 2 different versions of the speaker panel mod and I am not 100 percent certain as to all the differences between the 3 different versions.

Gord

#535 6 years ago

I believe there were 2 "released to the public" versions. I helped jeff with the some of the changes that were introduced with the last run for the colorDMD owners.

ps
the first run speaker panels will work with a colorDMD installed. you can either de-solder the center molex connector and replace it with a right-angle one or add 2 small, stand-off spacers (on the bottom posts) so that the connector isn't touching the face of the colorDMD display.

#536 6 years ago

Does anyone know if Jeff is planning to do another run of these or is that it?

Thanks.

4 weeks later
#537 6 years ago

Update, for those interested.... Never heard from the maker of this mod, so doesn't seem like holding breath for a re-run is a good idea. Therefore I 'modded' up my [model 2] Speaker Panel mod.

So far, the process includes:

step 1 - order (3) replacement right-angled Molex KK connectors from Mouser. One each of:
0022053071 KK 254 Rt Angle Lock 7 circuits
0022053081 KK 254 Rt Angle Lock 8 circuits
0026605070 KK 396 Rt Angle Lock 7 Circuits

step 2 - remove (3) PCBs from panel mod and desolder exiting perpendicular friction-lock Molex connectors

step 3 - solder in (3) replacement right-angled KK connectors to three (3) PCBs.

step 4 - Prepare wood panel for next hack-job. Make sure to cover speaker grilles with paper held by painters tape not touching the silkscreen. Also apply painter's tape to DMD foam. Else the sawdust likes to embed itself in the holes of the speaker mesh.

step 5 - hack backpanel with a jigsaw (probably a better way to do it if I had the right bits for my Dremel, , but felt like getting it done with the tools I had on the bench that morning).

Only concern is a tight fit in the bottom channel of the backbox where that KK 396 connector on the right-most PCB now sits real close to bottom of board. It should fit. It seemd to, though I tested without the screened panel face on. If it doesn't, I take a grinder to the area of the metal channel to make a bit of extra clearance...

Last problem to solve is that surprisingly the speaker panel mod is actually too wide for the backbox. Just by a 64th, maybe a 32nd of a inch.... No reason to force it and lose backbox paint. Going to take a belt sander to the sides of the mod and shave it down a bit...

Hope this helps anyone else facing a similar dilemma.
-Brian

20150919_180624_Large.jpg

20150919_180513_Large.jpg

2 months later
#538 5 years ago

this might be of interest to a few people but please note that I am not linked to Wayne in any way and these are dam expensive but when they are hard to get and you really want one (Deluxe Speaker Panel), well there are 2 here....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Creature-From-The-Black-Lagoon-Pinball-Speaker-Panel-DELUXE-EDITION-/151899963847?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

#539 5 years ago

There is a relevant post in the PPS forums asking for another run of the Deluxe Speaker Panel.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/forum/index.php/topic,222.0.html

Maybe if enough people express interest there, Rick may do it.

#540 5 years ago

Yeah, I started that post....and nothing but crickets from Rick. Anyone surprised??

#541 5 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Yeah, I started that post....and nothing but crickets from Rick. Anyone surprised??

Surprised? No

But more crickets has a better chance (however slim) than no crickets. If we don't try, then we can't complain if we fail.

#542 5 years ago

The deluxe panel is pretty cool but it doesn't look that much different than the stock panel. It would not be the end of the world if they never made them again. Sometimes wanting is better than having, I find this out quite often.

1 month later
#543 5 years ago

Any chance any one has one of these or there is going to be another run ?

#544 5 years ago

I decided to try and make my own using an LED Magician (http://www.ledmagician.com/).

Here is my progress thus far.

Note, more work than I originally thought.

#545 5 years ago

That looks great!

#546 5 years ago

Very Sweet ! Nice work ! Would much rather buy one, while I have the tools/skill to make one, I don't have the time to devote to it and have many projects that would be ahead of it.

3 weeks later
#547 5 years ago

Anyone have any pics of the colordmd installed using spacers to avoid contact with the speaker panel? Would like to see what spacers were used and how the dmd looks when the spacers are there. Thanks all.

#548 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Anyone have any pics of the colordmd installed using spacers to avoid contact with the speaker panel? Would like to see what spacers were used and how the dmd looks when the spacers are there. Thanks all.

Anyone?

#549 5 years ago

It looks great. If no one posts, I'll upload some pics for you later. I have stock speakers...

#550 5 years ago
Quoted from Ray_Ayala:

It looks great. If no one posts, I'll upload some pics for you later. I have stock speakers...

Thanks for the reply. Do you have the led speaker panel mod? That's what I'm inquiring about... I'm not sure if I was clear about that.

There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside