51 days ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by Ericpinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 33 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PCB_21_010_OK.jpg
    PCB_21_003.jpg
    PCB_21_002.jpg
    PCB_21_008.jpg
    bumper_006.jpg
    bumper_005.jpg
    bumper_004.jpg
    bumper_001.jpg
    bumper_002.jpg
    bumper_003.jpg
    pantallas_redondas_vp.jpg
    ScreenHunter_003.jpg
    ScreenHunter_004.jpg
    panelizado_OK.jpg
    ScreenHunter_021.jpg
    ScreenHunter_013.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballsp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 51 days ago

Interactive video screen for Bumper Cap. First prototype with 2.1-inch screen, Im preparing a second prototype with 2.4-inch screen.

This device can play images and videos interactively. User programmable to trigger videos according to the status of any pinball input/output (playfield switches, Lamps, Flasher, Bumpers and output devices).

The controller board, connected to the pinball CPU directly, is a design derived from the one I made for the Creature Hologram Kit. It will allow to connect up to 4 interactive bumpers, to be able to synchronize effects between them (for example in Addams Family, Twilight Zone, DE Star Wars ...?.

Each Bumper Video board includes the complete video player (NOT Raspberry based, but my own design), with video storage on micro SD cards and connection to the main board with 3-wire cable (or micro USB).

It is still a prototype, it remains to be designed the bezel that replaces the original plastic cover, and fixes the board to the bumper.

#8 50 days ago

Preparing the design for the final version of the Video Bumper.

A somewhat complex project, because in the little space of the cover of a bumper (about 7cm), I have to place the complete electronics of an interactive video player, which receives data from a controller board to trigger the videos as programmed by the Status of switches, lamps, bumpers, flashers and other output devices. The Video Bumper will connect to the controller board, connected to the CPU, with a 3-wire cable, up to four Video Bumper per board.

I also have to design the bezel that will go around the round screen and a transparent protective cover, both in acrylic, and fixed with screws and dividers.

ScreenHunter_005.jpg
    #9 50 days ago
    Quoted from Jazzbouche:

Very cool!!
    Would work great with Tron- think you may get a lot of interest there.
    Any idea on when you think these may become available (if at all).

Thanks.

I cannot tell you a specific date, but I would like it to be by the end of September. The problem is that I have several projects at the same time, the Hologram Kit, the Video Bumper, the DMD of 128x16 and the Advanced Coloring, besides port the source code for the DMDMX7.

Now the priority is the Hologram Kit, however I am going to order this Video Bumper board version, and I start with the tests to program it to add the interactive feature. I also have to make the controller board, although its based on the one I made for the Hologram Kit, there are some things that are different, such as the outputs to connect the bumpers and remove the Raspberry, which is not used here.

#10 47 days ago

The design of the Video Bumper, is almost ready to send to manufacture the final version.

I am waiting to receive several models of connectors that I have ordered for the flat cable ribbon of the screen, I will choose one and place it in the design, replacing the one I put for the tests.

For the top of the bumper, I have requested and received a quote to manufacture a fluorescent acrylic ring in various colors (picture attached). This ring is around the screen, with a width of about 10mm and a height of 3 to 5mm.

The screen will be fixed and protected by a transparent acrylic 2mm thick, with the same diameter as the board, 76mm.

ScreenHunter_031.jpgScreenHunter_032.jpgP1090061.JPGP1090068.JPG

#12 42 days ago

Today I received enough material to adjust the design. Screws, Philips and Allen head, M2.5 metric, 5mm metal spacers. Quite a few models of the connector for the screen, the one that appears in the image is the one that I have chosen, but I received 15 different models.

3-pin screw connector, to connect the 3 wires with 12v power, ground and data signal to trigger videos interactively.

Last week I also received the 256Mbit SDRAM memory and the main processor (an LQFP176 appears in the photo, but in reality it is a 208-pin LQFP208, a real monster with incredible performance).

I had to make some adjustments to the design of the board. I have added 4 holes to fix with screws and spacers, the electronic circuit board to an acrylic piece, which will be the one that is fixed to the plastic of the bumper.

I was also very busy routing all the tracks by hand. It is quite complex and very laborious, because in this type of circuit ALL data tracks must have the same length, or the circuit will not work well when handling signals of a fairly high frequency.

About the scren data connector (30-pin, for 0.5mm), I have been lucky because the one I put in the design, matches the physical connector that I am going to use, although the tracks are still to be routed. I finish with these details, and I can already send to manufacture the PCB.

I will leave the mechanical part to the end, which will be a 2mm acrylic piece, to fix the PCB to the bumper.

The board that connects to the pinball CPU will also be finished, this board will send signals to the Video Bumper (up to 4 units per board), to trigger the videos according to the state of the pinball signals (switches, flashers, bumpers, lamps and any other output signal). However, without that board, the Video Bumper can still work by playing random videos.

bumper_004.jpg
    bumper_003.jpg
    bumper_001.jpg
    bumper_002.jpg
    ScreenHunter_014.jpg
    ScreenHunter_004.jpg

#13 37 days ago

Today I was working with the CAD to finish the design of several pieces, in methacrylate, for the Hologram Kit and the Video Bumper.

For the Video Bumper, a piece of 2mm transparent methacrylate to fix the circuit board to the plastic of the bumper, of the same material a protective cover, and finally some fluorescent rings in several colors that frame the screen and fix it to the board.

While I am waiting for the PCB that I ordered from the manufacturer, in order to assemble the product. I want to create a prototype table with 4 video bumpers connected to the controller board and a Bally / Williams CPU, to test the product with synchronized video effects.

ScreenHunter_007.jpgScreenHunter_008.jpgScreenHunter_009.jpgScreenHunter_010.jpgScreenHunter_011.jpgScreenHunter_012.jpgScreenHunter_013.jpgScreenHunter_021.jpg

panelizado_OK.jpg
    #15 32 days ago

While I get the PCB board that I designed for the Video Bumper with 2.1-inch round screen, I've been testing a new screen. This is somewhat larger (2.4 inches), and is also much brighter than the previous one.

The circuit for the interactive video player, which I already designed, will also work for this screen, I just have to change the type of connector and make some modifications to the firmware. As soon as I receive the PCB board and test the design, I will make the version for this screen and decide which of the two to offer, or maybe both.

#19 31 days ago

I finished the design of the Video Bumper board for the large round screen (2.4 inches). Practically the same as the previous one (2.1 inches), only the connector for the screen, the routing of the corresponding tracks and the hole to insert the flat ribbon of the screen is different.

I send this PCB board to be manufactured, while I wait to receive the previous one, for the 2.1-inch screen, next week. I will also receive the pieces in methacrylate to assemble the Video Bumper, round piece of fixation to the plastic of the bumper, transparent cover and fluorescent ring.

In the attached images the design of the new PCB, and the two screens that I will use, 2.1 and 2.4 inches, the rest of the components are identical in both designs.

pantallas_redondas_vp.jpg
    ScreenHunter_003.jpgScreenHunter_004.jpg

#20 28 days ago

Today I received the pieces in methacrylate to assemble the Video Bumper, I still have to receive the PCB boards to mount the electronic circuit of the interactive video player. These methacrylate pieces are composed of a 2mm transparent methacrylate unit to fix the Video Bumper to the bumper plastic, a 2mm transparent methacrylate protective cap, and 3mm colored fluorescent rings, to fix and frame the round screen to the electronic board.

I am also waiting to receive the PCB boards, for the Video Bumper with 2.4-inch screen.

bumper_001.jpgbumper_002.jpgbumper_003.jpgbumper_004.jpgbumper_005.jpgbumper_006.jpg
    #21 24 days ago

New boards arrive, today I received the PCB to mount the Video Bumper with 2.1-inch screen.

For the tests I will assemble a set of four Video Bumper to create synchronized video effects between them, I have ordered the plastic parts to mount the four bumper (base, body and skirt).

Next week I hope to receive the PCBs for the Video Bumper with 2.4-inch screen, and also the final board for the Creature hologram kit.

PCB_21_002.jpgPCB_21_003.jpgPCB_21_008.jpg

PCB_21_010_OK.jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 334.95
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 94.00
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    $ 109.99
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 14.95
    Various Novelties
    Allteksystems
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballsp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside