20180123_124121 (resized).jpg
20180123_124045 (resized).jpg
20180123_095429 (resized).jpg
20180123_095625 (resized).jpg
20180123_094656 (resized).jpg
RZAce (resized).jpg
20180121_104618 (resized).jpg
20180121_191150 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1104-medisinyl-mods/01413-interactive-rob-zombie-mausoleum-mod-living-dead-girl-

Video:

[[No permanent modification]]

This mod replaces the factory Living Dead Girl panel with an enclosed Mausoleum for an infinity mirror lightshow that pops.

It installs with the factory bolts and supplied clips (they hold tight and install with no hassle). The lighting is triggered off of the factory lights via a photoresistor and transistor in the circuit, installed with two of the factory screws over the original light board (this is a custom 3d print that fits perfectly flush over the board). Wiring is attached to the 12V at the bottom of the cab and easily fed up alongside the factory wiring for the LDG (wiring is separated with a quick release plug). The excess wiring and lightboard assembly hide up in a reservoir in the Mod out of view.

Extra clips and an extra lightboard backing will be included just in case, but I haven't had any failures in testing.

RZ111 (resized).jpgRZ111 (resized).jpg
20171210_111402 (resized).jpg20171210_111402 (resized).jpg
20171207_181606 (resized).jpg20171207_181606 (resized).jpg
20171210_111414 (resized).jpg20171210_111414 (resized).jpg
20171206_170010 (resized).jpg20171206_170010 (resized).jpg

20171211_173401 (resized).jpg20171211_173401 (resized).jpg
20171208_125125 (resized).jpg20171208_125125 (resized).jpg
20171206_174308 (resized).jpg20171206_174308 (resized).jpg

Clips (resized).jpgClips (resized).jpg

20171208_174421 (resized).jpg20171208_174421 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How about adding a uv color option?

I can look into testing this route after the holiday if the interest is there (it's possible to do). Could be neat, though I doubt it would be as pronounced as the recommended options.

#5 6 years ago

Any chance you can design a plastic ball stop to attach to right side of apron mod to prevent balls from hopping backwards in the shooter lane and ending up in the cabinet? Original apron on RZ is kind of flimsy but the apron mod is a solid plastic piece and something could be screwed on. Every game I have seen before RZ uses a metal backstop, but then there is RZ with a small crappy backstop that doesn't work right. Alien uses a hard plastic piece for the backstop and that would be sufficient.

As I got one of the first few Apron mods, it seems my version is still flimsy. A 3d printed part may not be the answer either. I can always take a look when I have a chance to see if there is a simple solution if someone doesn't come up with something beforehand.

Otherwise, this has only come up for me once, but who knows if it will arise again just before finally (if ever) getting near Hellbound :p

EDIT: I updated the original post with a photo of the mentioned clips that hold the factory bolts in place (They pop over the bolt snug and lock it in place).

EDIT #2: I took a look at the machine with the ball stop in mind and believe I see a way it could be done and mounted securely (with no permanent modification), so I may very well get to it after the holiday, but for now my resources are needed 100% toward getting current orders out this week.

#9 6 years ago

Stone painting marathon these past couple days All 5 orders taken before the cut-off are planned to ship out by 2pm Saturday (I believe the Pinside shop will open up for orders again on the 22nd and start shipping a few days after the holiday [I'll be getting more parts together ahead of that time]). I added some "blood" mess on the more hidden Captain Spaulding side to these as well as darker green "algae" than the protoype version. .

These will soon get the frosted LED arches, mirrors, circuit wiring, etc.

Paint (resized).jpgPaint (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Where do the other parts go? Same game?

Those are parts of Dracula orders (they cover the exposed switches in the game). Just thought it looked cool seeing the tombstones/skulls with the mausoleums once I finally had everything painted and cleared

Took a shot before paint as there was so much to do at once...paint makes a huge difference

20171213_105236 (resized).jpg20171213_105236 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I have been considering a 3d printer, please educate me. Which one do you use?

I had given some answer to that here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-on-3d-printingfabrication#post-4103437

My main printer right now is a modified CR-10 (after a new print bed set-up it's awesome), but I have a monoprice Select V2 as well (could be a fire hazard without internal modification). Recently I've had them both running nearly 24/7. 3D prints can take a long time (and often fail without proper settings, bed leveling, etc.). Just the main section for the RZ mod is about 18 hours, +2-3 hours each on the roof and archway, +clips, lightboard box, etc.

This week has led me to question the purchase of a 3rd printer to keep up, and I'd be happy getting another CR-10 if that were the case (modified with a mirror bed and lightly scuffed PEI plastic--parts stick dead flat after that). Some of my mods have also been too large to fit on my smaller printer (namely the LED Drac mod--haven't attempted the RZ frame on the smaller printer).

For creating designs, I use some mix of Blender, Meshmixer, and Tinkercad. Cura for slicing (15.04.6).

#15 6 years ago

As I pull an all nighter to get these out on time, it seems I'm finding ways to keep myself entertained . As I was taking a progress shot, I realized what shirt I happened to be wearing today and proceeded to align them just so Photoresistor boxes, wiring, etc. to go.

Spooky (resized).jpgSpooky (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Looks pretty nice. What is the price on these?

I appreciate the interest, and thanks to hAbO/Mike for getting an answer to you sooner . I'm currently away, but Pinside orders re-open tomorrow and the next run will ship the first week of January (most likely earlier in the week). That run is nearly full now (1-2 slots left), but I'd expect to get the 3rd run out within a week or so after the 2nd ships. As the print on these alone is ~24 hours, it takes some days to even get a run to the paint stage (I may get a 3rd printer on my return to help speed that stage up depending on orders--I only have 1 currently that can handle large parts).

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

How long does something like that take to print? It looks meaty from a plastic print point of view. It came out right as I was selling my RZ Definitely fills that space up nicely! (That's what she said)

About 24 hours for all of the parts for one (main frame, roof, frosted/clear archway, lightboard cover, clips, and lightboard backing...then of course the mirror cutting, wiring, etc. on top). The main body alone consumes a 4th of a large spool, so yeah, it's "meaty"

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

You did sell your RZ? So the world won’t be getting a badass Habo sound mix?

Pinball browser has been updated to work with RZ. I imagine someone will do it eventually. A lot of the callouts in the machine are pretty great as is, but plenty could be swapped with something more interesting. Perhaps hAbO can send his ripped audio to one of us if he doesn't do his own.

#23 6 years ago

1 spot left on the next run of 5 (shipping the first week of Jan.). I may very well be asleep while it sells, but will be starting run 3 soon after in case the cut is missed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1104-medisinyl-mods/01413-interactive-rob-zombie-mausoleum-mod-living-dead-girl-

#26 6 years ago

Just a note that Run 2 did sell out and current orders will be pre-orders for batch #3. Thanks again to everyone that has ordered so far. It's rewarding for me to contribute to the hobby in this way and see my mods show up in machines around the world

#27 6 years ago

Finally back home. I have parts for 4 of these so far (brought my machines over the holiday) and will get to the paint stage in a couple days once the rest is ready, then mirrors, lightning, circuits, wiring, lightboard box, etc. Aiming for a January 2nd ship date on this run #2. I've already made a re-purchase on the infinity mirror materials and such, so run #3 will be ready to go soon after once more printed parts are built (still 2-3 spots available for run #3 if there's interest). Would aim to ship run #3 by Jan. 10 if not sooner. Couple other requested mods for RZ should be in the works this coming month as time allows (neither being nearly as involved as this one )

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

This mod made me keep my RZ. Pulled my FS ad, got in on run #2. Very cool looking mod, can't wait to see it in the game.

Awesome I hope it breathes some new life into the game once it arrives

Adding the current instructions here as a Pinsider asked about them While there are a few steps, it's really not a hard install, and can be done quickly.

RZ Mod Inst (resized).pngRZ Mod Inst (resized).png

RZ mOd picture instruction (resized).pngRZ mOd picture instruction (resized).png

#31 6 years ago

1 spot left for run #3 (shipping around Jan. 10)

EDIT: run 3 is sold out.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I got tired of staring at it... just ordered!

Thank you! With that, run 3 is sold out. Any new orders will be pre-orders for run #4 (tentatively shipping by Jan.18).

Quoted from Cheeks:

This mod is SUPER cool, but I do wish it had been designed at a slightly different angle. The infinity effect and the lighting (I went with the recommended pink) are awesome, but from the player perspective, you don't really get the effect. If the window had been angled slightly more to the front-center (and ideally up a hair) then the player would be able to see the infinity while playing. As it stands, I just see one side of the lighting and none of the reflections unless I lean down and to the right so my face is straight ahead of the window.
I'm going to play around with trying to angle it for better viewing, but it is BIG and there is not much room to maneuver. I would still recommend this mod to any RZ owners, I just wish I caught the full effect from the player's angle.

I agree it would be very cool if you could get 100% of the effect from the height of the average adult, but there are multiple reflections of it visible from the player angle (at 5'9" for me at least), so it does still make quite a difference being infinite mirror rather than if I designed it as just a smoked panel and no mirror. Though I also couldn't really imagine the odd geometry of angling the mirrors high enough to get the full effect from adult height--something would seem off there too perhaps, so amongst the restrictions I was working with, I was pretty happy once I got it to where it is, but again, I totally agree with what you're seeing. My main goal was to create a cool looking housing to obscure the LDG from all angles, then bring her to life properly when active. The infinity mirror was really just icing on the cake and not in mind when the idea was first conceived.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Yeah, height is less the issue than left/right angle. I'm hoping if I loosen the bolt clips that I can angle it to the front-center and that will let me see the infinity effect, which will be more than good enough.

While I expect there should be some play in there when the playfield is down, I would just double check when raising/lowering that the roof clears the bump that the cut-out portion is there for (if the angle is changed...it's certainly a tight design around the factory bits as is). There's a very small fraction of added horizontal width on the bolt holes that could perhaps allow for a slight angle change without hurting anything (perhaps even placing one of the extra clips in front of the bracket on one of them? [again, double checking that nothing binds at the roof when lowering the playfield])

#37 6 years ago

For those in Run #2, yours is somewhere here Shipping these out today (everyone that ordered from this run will be updated with tracking by later tonight). Thanks again to all that have ordered thus far [2-3 pre-order spots left for Run #4--to ship by the 18th - EDIT: Now 1 or 2 spots left]

Run2 (resized).jpgRun2 (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago

Now only 1 spot left for Run #4 (shipping by Jan. 18). Pre-orders for run #5 will open once that spot is sold (to ship by Jan. 26.).

Quoted from SilverballNut:

Just placed my order, looks great and was planning to order earlier but holidays got in the way. Thanks for all the work on it!

Thank you! I can't wait to see more of these in other machines

#40 6 years ago

Run #2 has officially shipped out and everyone in that group should have received tracking numbers either via PM or through the order page. Run #3 will ship by Jan. 10. Still the one spot available for run #4. Thanks yet again to everyone that has purchased this mod or left some positive feedback

If anyone ever takes a RZ to a show with this mod, I'd love to know what response it gets

#41 6 years ago

Run #4 is now SOLD OUT (to ship on Jan. 18). New orders will be pre-orders for Run #5 (to ship Jan. 26).

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Recieved,wow wow wow,one of the best mods ever imho.

Awesome! Thank you. I was just wondering if some of run 2 would be received/installed today, and I was hoping this would be the reaction that buyers experience

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

just put in my order but i want that RZ figurine you have on your middle ramp as well. What is that>? And how did you mount it?

They can be found on eBay (McFarlane? I'm not at a computer, so it's harder to look things up at the moment [I'll find a link when I'm home]). I modded the toy to have the head angled higher, and also modded the chest to have a beating heart LED.

To mount it, I pulled the plastic underneath him, drilled holes through the feet, and used pop rivets from underneath (you can see the rivets through his shoes--I was going to paint them black, but ending up digging the way the rivets looked).

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

just put in my order but i want that RZ figurine you have on your middle ramp as well. What is that>? And how did you mount it?

This link will show what's on eBay for this figure (some of the lower priced ones are missing parts) : ebay.com link: sch

EDIT: It seems to be killing the address with the search by replacing it will a generic link (fixing the gap in "eb ay" should work here)- https://www.eb ay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=rob+zombie+mcfarlane&_sop=15

It is the McFarlane toy though.

#48 6 years ago

Getting multiple reports now of issues with the photoresistor burning out on run #2 (lights stay on solid and don't interact). I've got more components coming in on the 10th to beef up the circuit and will get a fix sorted ASAP before shipping run #3. I believe I already know the fix, and I may still be able to get the run out by the night of the 10th, but I need to be sure I avoid any further issues, so run #3 may need to ship out on the 11th (no change to Run #4).

I have yet to hear of this issue with run #1 (nor have I had any issue with mine), but should one arise, a fix will either be sent, or returns for repairs are always an option.

Sorry if there is any delay.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

My run =2 is still in the box. Should I send it back for replacement?

Either it can be sent back if desired (for repair), or I can mail the new version of lightbox circuit with no-solder crimp connectors (would just need to snip/strip the current wires and use a crimp tool to affix).

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Is it component failure or connection? Either way please send parts vs return

Will do. Instructions will be simple to attach the better protected circuit. As it's the same as I've been using, I'm surprised an issue didn't arise sooner in run #1, but I believe the fix will be a 50k-100k ohm resistor added to the transistor/LDR circuit on the lightboard box (perhaps a low ohm resistor on the power side as well).

I'll be sending a whole new lightboard box with new circuit and new plug, etc. so it will just be a simple swap for the end user to cut the two wires off that box going to the mod and attaching the new assembly.

As noted, parts will be in tomorrow and I'll get it sorted ASAP.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Finally got mine installed today, game starts with mod lit bright, in gameplay it slowly fades to red but never goes completely out, gets bright when hit so it is somewhat interactive. (much different than demo vid)

The LDR is incredibly sensitive to light. If there's any light bleeding in on it, it won't go completely dark. In testing, even putting my finger right over the sensor wouldn't allow for completely black, so I would perhaps suggest blocking the bottom of the reservoir off in case any GI, etc. lights are getting in.

EDIT: Just got the new parts in and will work on building and testing a new circuit (this will be available to anyone that has purchased this mod, even if theirs is working properly). Will update here tonight.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Don't think it's light leak, 2nd game, stuck on no interaction. Think the slow fade was the way a failure manifests itself. Think you have the issue resolved as you hypothesized?

In the midst of setting up a test-rig right now (I'll be testing numerous different components to maintain the intended performance while hopefully preventing this from happening again). Going to be testing at machine strength as well (originally my bench test rig was at 12.2V and RZ is at 12.7V).

I still don't understand why this has only been reported during run #2 (I've been expecting someone form run #1 to chime in considering the failure rate with run #2). A couple in run #1 used the exact same of everything, but a few used a different brand of LED strip (including the one in my machine). I don't understand how the LED strip could have anything to do with the photoresistor going out, but I do know why the photoresistor could be going out in general, and am working on it now.

EDIT: I'll also test the circuit I decide on for 1-2 hours+ before giving it the okay.

Otherwise, Run #3 is ready to go pending these new circuits and will ship out by tomorrow.

#57 6 years ago

New circuit has been in test for 40+ minutes and going strong (no indication of heat on the photoresistor). I've been swapping it back and forth with light and dark and will continue to do so. Running at 12.75V

With some more time on it, I'll pull the 100k ohm resistor I added between the LDR and transistor and hope to recreate the failed LDR (photoresistor). In which case, I would consider this fixed. EDIT: Currently running the original circuit, and while it has yet to fail, it is more sensitive to ambient light in the dark--more likely to stay lit red in non-total darkness than the "fix" that was tested. Hoping it will fail soon to confirm.

EDIT 2: I still can't reproduce a failure of my original circuit (nor get any heat off the LDR with the original circuit), but I do feel more confident in the way the "fixed" circuit is performing as I've gone back and forth with that as well. I also have a failed unit returned for repair now that may help shed some light.

Also is a shot of the design of the diffused archway if anyone is interested to see it. Perhaps other modders would like to see how I went about it. It was designed inside the shell of the main mausoleum portion to get perfect dimensions (snap-fits into place with the cut-out in the back--the back mirror otherwise holding it in place [the arch ends up flush against the mirror as there are notches on the bottom of the arch--this notch wasn't present in an earlier prototype and greatly enhanced the infinity mirror effect once flush against the mirror])

20180110_171342 (resized).jpg20180110_171342 (resized).jpg
20180110_171913 (resized).jpg20180110_171913 (resized).jpg

#58 6 years ago

I still can't get the original circuit design to fail, even when purposely shorting parts of the circuit (update below). Lends me to believe the units that are working properly may continue to do so without an issue (as my own unit has), but perplexes me as to what is happening to have multiple customers with failing units this run.

I'm still confident that my "fix" is a better, sturdier circuit (also fades to black quicker [less sensitive to low light] while maintaining full brightness when on) and will go forward with it if I don't get more information by then.

EDIT: I was able to get the transistor to fail by shorting the LED strip. Based on the return I have on hand, my guess now is that the new verison of LED strip (flimsy and less insulated compared to the earlier waterproof version) is still twisting itself to contact internally despite the shrink tubing--going forward this will be entirely insulated to make this impossible.

This lends itself to further confidence that units performing properly from run #1 will continue to do so.

However, this makes me less confident that I can merely send out a fix as this sort of failure requires me to take the mod apart and install a new LED strip. Customers that return the unit for repair will be credited for shipping costs.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

I just want to publicly say and state the amount of craftsmanship that goes into this mod is amazing. not to mention paint job etc.
I have to take my hat off to you for the amount of customer service, and genuine care you have for your customers that purchased your product. Then to Also back it up and make sure everyone is aware that there is a problem. While some in this industry would just do what they could to sweep the issue under the rug and maybe not even fix the problem. You sir are one of the good ones.
To everyone that loves mods! Support this guy and keep him making cool things that we cant.
At least we know if there is a issue or problem with something he makes. He will be there to make it right. You cant say that about everyone in this industry.
Magicchiz

Thank you for that I do feel awful that this has happened, but am now rather confident that I know how to prevent this from happening again (as ultimately updated in my previous post [perhaps as you were writing]). Wish I could have caught it before sending out an entire batch of these, but am glad run #3 will go out *after* discovering what I believe is the issue.

I'll be working through the night on these to make sure run #3 is on its way to customers tomorrow.

#62 6 years ago

Shot of an Ice Blue version (As Pink fades to Red, Ice Blue fades to Green for a cool effect [I debated between these for my machine--perhaps the new owner will give us some pics or vid after installing ). In fact, this one is Kyle's (Mudflaps) Has been tested at 12.75V for awhile with no issues. Others will also get an extended test (run #3 is essentially complete now--I just have a return to repair and I'll get it all shipped out today is the plan).

Blue light on the camera made for some off coloring of the rest of the mod/surroundings, but it'll have to do for now.

Ice blue (resized).jpgIce blue (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago

To better clarify, I've updated the instructions with a clear note that the pictured power box is at the back left of the cabinet under a sticker (not the larger power box in the middle).

Otherwise, to update the order progress, 2 spots are left in run #5 (to ship Jan 26).

RZ mOd picture instruction (resized).pngRZ mOd picture instruction (resized).png

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Pictures could be better showing backing plate with 2 screws through on the lightbox assy (4), and back up on the retaining clips to show them clearer, that's too extreme a close-up to see what's what(6).

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll add some photos up here soon for additional reference.

#67 6 years ago

Run #3 has shipped. Tracking numbers will be given out to everyone later tonight.

All of these units were tested for at least 5 minutes each at full machine voltage and through dark and light cycles. I don't see any reason for them to fail, so fingers crossed on this run.

This run is better insulated on the LED strips and while I don't believe it was necessary after testing, I added the 100k ohm resistor to the circuit on these anyway.

I have what I expect are the original LED strips I worked with on the way for future runs.

EDIT: Everyone (in run #3) should now have tracking either via PM or through the order page.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

On pic 4, it's possible someone might install the board with leds facing away from sensor (it's possible) Showing your backing plate with the lightboard in correct orientation will prevent that.

Underbox (resized).jpgUnderbox (resized).jpg

Added over 6 years ago: EDIT: Turns out to maintain safe resistance levels (the issue that is discussed in the thread), it's best to do the exact OPPOSITE of what is pictured here. Instead face the lights away from the sensor (if you don't have the filtered version).

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Guessing this was your inspiration. » YouTube video if not, pretty big coincidence.

That is very cool! and incredibly similar (I didn't use that for reference however). Mine was designed from scratch and to the fraction of a mm on dimensions to fit in the machine (perhaps coincidentally similar dimensions on that toy).

I initially just wanted to completely house the LDG toy and give a better lightshow. I decided on a mausoleum given the theme and based mine off the image below amongst others. I went with an arch (admittedly very similar to the toy you linked) as it was necessary to be able to 3D print without supports (a boxy top would result in a failed print without support), so some design choices are forced by the way a 3D printer works (supports lend themselves to a great deal of extra time and wasted filament).

As for being infinity mirror, I've had multiple mod ideas using infinity mirrors that I don't own the games for yet, so going from mirror tint for the front panel, it was the logical next step to just add the back mirror (originally I didn't plan to make an infinity mirror). Certainly not a novel idea, and I know there is at least one other infinity mirror mod floating around Pinside, but it does produce a cool effect

Even the paint for my LDG mod is inspired by the photo below (algae streaking down, etc.)

Mausoleumm (resized).jpgMausoleumm (resized).jpg

#71 6 years ago

For peace of mind, given the recent issue with run #2, if those that received repairs or run #3 orders could confirm proper function once installed, that would be much appreciated Thank you. (if there is ANY question or uncertainty on the installation, please ask and I'll respond as soon as I see it).

In other news, I'm hoping to have some new RZ mods far enough along to reveal in a week or so.

Also working to get run #4 out tomorrow.

#74 6 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the picture Been wanting to put the mirror blades in mine since I saw them in RandomKG's machine at SFGE--they look great in RZ. Think they were generally out of stock on them at times I checked.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

What he said!

I appreciate the interest I'll divulge more when I'm closer to reveal, but the right side of the machine will be getting some love next A 3-piece set that could be purchased as any individual piece (while theme integrated, any would look fine on their own) or as a set (while I don't have pricing figured out yet, the whole set will certainly cost less than the LDG mod, with the smaller pieces being very reasonable). The larger piece (with LEDs) is already in the physical prototype stage, and parts have been ordered for the rest of what I have planned (hoping to have time to CAD design the rest this weekend). All parts and paint will be based on things as they are seen in the House of 1000 Corpses film (nothing that infringes IP or licensed material).

Quoted from neverahighscore:

Why don't I just give you my Paypal account information to save time

#79 6 years ago

All tracking numbers will be given out later tonight. I just shipped the one international order to make it in time for customs, but will get the rest out via kiosk tonight. Just running a hair behind as I prioritized the (5) Run #2 repairs this week (also taking extra steps to avoid such issues from happening again).

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

STOP MAKING MODS that make me poor.

Sometimes colorDMD makes me feel the same way (I still want them ) But but...this LDG mod really just enhances the machine to where I believe Spooky wanted it to be. I remember a podcast where the LDG toy was being described by Charlie (during development), and the description would lend you to assume it was going to be more like what I've done here, but as he later noted, they ran out of time/budget, etc.

Ultimately I feel RZ deserves more than the "played once at a noisy event on kiddie mode..here's my review" that makes up for most of the negativity on RZ (or on old code). I'm hoping mods like this lend to some others giving RZ another shot (perhaps this mod will pop up at a show one day, etc. and catch someone's eye).

Well, I'll go the ColorDMD route with a slightly obscure clue as to what is coming As a couple Pinsiders already know part of what is to come, no cheating! (one being the customer that requested this mod, but the larger piece [7 inches at its longest ] is an addition to compliment the theme of the mod and still under wraps for now [but the clue below could shed some light]).

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from JMcDonald:

Umm, this mod is neat. But it's nowhere near $200 neat. Y'all done lost your minds. Ridiculous.

Fair enough (Kaneda?). $200 IS expensive for what it is if this were a mass produced factory item, but many weeks of careful planning, design, resources, and redesigns went into this mod before even knowing if I'd get any return (moderate success on my first few mods gave me some hope I'd at least break even). Then on top, lots of work goes into every single one of these (I've gone without sleep multiple times to get these out in a reasonable time-frame)--I can't justify making these for any less, but I do want to be able to contribute to the hobby in this way (I believe I even under-price it for what has gone and goes into making it [just the paint-job alone on these would cost a significant chunk of what I'm charging here if commissioned to the average artist]). I set my price and others are free to scoff (I understand), but for those that can value what goes into a custom designed, hand painted, niche product, I've made it available

#86 6 years ago

Run #4 has now been shipped/dropped off and tracking numbers have either been sent via PM or through the order page.

Run #5 is planned to ship out on the 26th (still 2 spots available).

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Lemmy from Motörhead
Hairy Carrey
Maverick
Ace

When I initially noticed a new post in this thread (after the clue), I thought, "crap... I made it too easy, someone already got it." There is something common to all of them in some fashion, which would become...the next clue (then it would just take some prior knowledge or google skills).

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Well it takes a day to print (guessing) a couple hours to paint and probably an hour to assemble. Add that all up including parts needed, I can see $200 (I guess so, I bought one) It integrates very nicely. Given there are so few RZs in existence, the price is more than justified given the market is limited.

Yeah, about 24 hour print with all the parts (longer if I'm not on hand at the right moment). I finally got a 3rd printer recently to help keep up and be able to do other mods (these were locking out my ability to prototype for new mods and sell other mods I make due to the print time). Turned out cutting the plexiglass mirrors by hand is one of the bigger pains, but I have a better tool now as well. Some break, and others were slightly blemished--I rejected anything that would show any imperfection at all on the mod. Seven solder points on each of these as well and high material cost compared to my other mods. blah blah blah...

I'd like to think that there is value in the details and problem solving. At first I felt somewhat defeated when I discovered I couldn't simply tap into another light to get the interaction...eventually the photoresistor idea came to me, and I'd end up designing that lightboard box (again, to the fraction of a mm). I had to design the arch, the main mod, the roof, the lightboard box, and the clips (then long test prints and revisions to get everything perfect). Sure, I could have had customers struggle to get the nuts back on, but the devil's in the details (those didn't work the first time either). While it goes unspoken for the most part as it isn't the main attraction, I have to assume customers are impressed with how perfectly that lightboard box fits (lots of measuring and testing to produce something that's meant to be hidden ).

Quoted from rockrand:

I have to defend the price you are charging for this killer mod,I buy tons of mods and make some myself for all of my games and this one is well worth 200.00 and has made a huge improvement in my Rz and I don't believe I am alone because it looks like you have sold a few dozen so far I also believe if some other mod maker could come up with this they would likely charger more,don't stop creating mods like this

I appreciate that I do see mods that cost double and have nowhere near what goes into this mod...heck, people were flipping hot topic belt buckles for nearly $100 at some point if I recall correctly (MET). Hwoever, there are lots of talented modders out there, and some downright impressive. Perhaps takes another modder to know what really goes into producing some of these things.

Quoted from John_in_NC:

You're keeping your cards close to the vest on this one eh? Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve.

Cards, eh? Hmm..could be a clue I'd just like to be a bit further along before revealing too much. Less time for people to imagine up what they expect it will look like (better or worse, etc.) against the real product. I have yet to see my idea fully to fruition at this point, but I have detailed plans, so I'm hoping some people will think these are a cool addition whether they lead to sales or not Looking to make a lot of progress over the next two days.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Lemmy from Motörhead
Hairy Carrey
Maverick
Ace

I didn't really expect anyone to get what I was going for, but the possibility was there for a film buff, etc. to catch on to.

Lemmy - Ace of Spades
Carrey - Ace Ventura
Maverick - Ace Pilot
Ace Frehley...well...

"Four Aces" is the film set of Spaulding's Gas Station, etc. 3D gas pumps (as they appear in the film) and the lighted store-front/awning is coming soon (I have a nearly finished awning that is looking great and some promising gas pump prototypes that need some last things to be made). Perhaps a peek at the store-front/awning later today

Four Aces + House of 1000 Corpses set:

4Aces (resized).jpg4Aces (resized).jpg

RZAce (resized).jpgRZAce (resized).jpg

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Cool!
And Maverick wasn’t an ace pilot. You need 5 air to air kills for that.

Crap...ha ha

#97 6 years ago

This will get its own thread once the gas pumps are complete, and this may get some changes before production, but here's a peek at where I'm at with the store front (got what detail I could in on this to work with the scale of the machine/play angle). The light looks identical to that yellow/green lighting in the film, but I can't get my camera to show it (there's some leeway for left/right positioning, and it should fit with the "Tim's" sign light [that I need to finally order at some point ]). Really brings the two signs in the game together with the proper setting, and the gas pumps should help even more (again, I may be biased ). There's a rubberized coating on the back of the mirror/window to protect it from scratching.

20180121_192217 (resized).jpg20180121_192217 (resized).jpg

20180121_192149 (resized).jpg20180121_192149 (resized).jpg

20180121_192121 (resized).jpg20180121_192121 (resized).jpg

20180121_191237 (resized).jpg20180121_191237 (resized).jpg

20180121_191202 (resized).jpg20180121_191202 (resized).jpg

20180121_191150 (resized).jpg20180121_191150 (resized).jpg

20180121_104618 (resized).jpg20180121_104618 (resized).jpg

#101 6 years ago

Looks great. I meant to make guess aboot this mod a few days ago and was going to say Spaulding's gas station, didn't even know it had a name until now. I will be ordering this and look forward to seeing further refinements with gas tank and lit sign(?) added. Any way to incorporate some murder ride door flaps and signage or something to the lane below? Let me know if you want someone to test this out early.

Outcida (Tim's Pinball Mods) makes the sign light and the murder ride door (they can be found on eBay). They look great and of course I wouldn't create something another mod maker has already done well. The pumps and the station will be available sometime after I ship run #5 of the LDG mod

#102 6 years ago

Some of these are still having issues, so it would seem it is something other than what I thought (again, please confirm here or via PM if your recent LDG mod is working as it should). Thanks again to the couple that have confirmed proper function thus far for recent orders and repairs, but there were many more shipped that I'm worried about. Even if it comes to a full refund, this issue will be made right.

I'm having parts shipped to a couple different Pinsiders that are good with electronics to see if anything can be discovered. All of these units get tested and I cannot get them to fail here, so this issue has left me baffled as to why it works in some machines and not others. I'll be giving up the bench test for this next run and will be installing each mod in my own machine for testing (this would confirm function with the LDG lightboard, which is the only thing that's different vs. the bench test). I'm left questioning if some of these parts are just more prone to failure than others, yet again, they pass testing before they leave

Sorry again to anyone this has affected.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

What’s the common issue?
Mine is on during attract, then lights when the cross targets are hit. Basically, mine seems to be working fine.

As Deafcon notes, yours is working fine. Deafcon's guess seems good as the ones that have returned with failure show evidence of such an issue (browned photoresistor and leads that obviously got hot), yet bench testing at machine voltage leads to no such problem, nor any heat issue. My unit is still running great since early Dec. and still no issues from the 5 units in Run #1. Completely frustrating and baffling, but Deafcon sounds like he knows his stuff

Quoted from Deafcon:

Thats correct operation. On a failed mod, the lights are on at full brightness all the time.
I suspect current flow through the photoresitor is too high, causing failure and melting, I will be testing and hopefully have answers by next weekend.

Thank you

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Installed my repaired LDG mod just moments ago, played one abbreviated game just to test, working correctly so far.

Awesome, thank you Seems that the ones that fail do so nearly instantly, so hopefully yours is good to go. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I seem to hear more issue reports from early machines (build #s 50s and earlier [mine is #149]).

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

How do I tell what my game number is?SN RZSI316160170 = Rob Zombie Spookshow International (RZSI) 31616 (date?) #170 (0170) Guessing here.

That seems to be the way to know (correlates on mine the same). I had to look at mine to make sure (as I ordered new from Spooky, I knew my number that way ). Not certain about the date.

#110 6 years ago

Likely listing these for sale Sunday night or so (and a separate thread will be made then), but for those that have been following the sneak peeks here, I present the 3D gas pumps Caps were designed to cover the screw holes, and there is a plastic window that's hard to see in the pics without a reflection. Real rubber hose. Movie screenshot for reference (hopefully this is enough detail to be recognizable ):

RZAce (resized).jpgRZAce (resized).jpg
20180123_094656 (resized).jpg20180123_094656 (resized).jpg
20180123_095625 (resized).jpg20180123_095625 (resized).jpg
20180123_095429 (resized).jpg20180123_095429 (resized).jpg

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Looking awesome! Does the gas station mount directly to the upper playfield?

Mounts using the same factory screws that the factory 2D gas pumps use

EDIT: See you said "station" now, ha ha. The station hooks over the backboard of the game (can be positioned as the user desires). Can stay put on its own, or the backing to the mounting tape can be pulled to stick it down (installs in seconds + whatever it takes to attach a couple wires to power).

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

How would it look if you shrink the pumps place them abreast where the original is? Seems like these are trying too hard to fit. to me.

I'm sure it would look good that way as well, but to implement that now or do anything smaller in general would be to re-do nearly everything as it's comprised of multiple parts, including multiple decals I created. As it stands, the decals likely wouldn't be legible any smaller, and the screw holes, plastic window grooves, rubber hose dimensions, etc. would all have to be re-worked if it were smaller.

I always had (2) 2D pumps at each of those locations, so it was the logical step in my mind to place them there (as I've been looking at them that way for over a year now, I'm not even sure where the original is supposed to be, ha ha [EDIT: I see it was originally just on the front one now, though it looks the best on the other post IMO]). I had debated making a double pump for the back under the awning area, but that would also start to block inserts on the upper playfield, the station details, etc. I didn't want it to look too crowded there.

Otherwise, I believe these were only 6mm taller than the factory 2D plastic (EDIT: closer to 5mm). Everything else beyond that is to scale based on many photos I found of the film set.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I was thinking next to each other under the awning but you are correct the original is out front. looks good, just a bit jammed in IMO. Certainly not TZ mod level packed though

Perhaps seeing it from the player perspective will help give a better idea (not nearly as jammed looking as the close ups may suggest). I can see how it would look nice with two at the back, but I'm also seeing how it would block some things in a way that would make it look less factory. However, I also see some merit in the way I have it as I dig the way it fills out the whole upper playfield (again, a bit easier to see at player perspective). Here's some shots with the game in attract with flash and no flash, and one flash with the game off.

20180123_124045 (resized).jpg20180123_124045 (resized).jpg

20180123_124121 (resized).jpg20180123_124121 (resized).jpg

20180123_124129 (resized).jpg20180123_124129 (resized).jpg

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Love it!
I like the Leaded pump better, TBH. I think it’s a great replacement, but I’m not so sure about the other one.
I do like the gas station and will definitely be purchasing.

When it goes up for sale (aiming for Sunday night), there will be multiple purchase options, with discounts for various combinations. Just one pump with the station will be an option, and I can understand why some may prefer it that way.

#125 6 years ago

Placement of pumps looks unnatural. Could they mount on a plastic that is attached to the two posts? Maybe having them side by side would be an improvement. Really only need to see both switches from upper flipper and around Spaulding /gate.
There are some benefits to using a plastic to mount them in that you could make some tire tracks and oil stains on plastic. If you want something for the front right edge of playfield to balance it, you could add some small chickens hanging out and mount all on same plastic. Chickens, gas pumps and fried chicken sound delicious.

While it would be possible for me alter the design to allow for the pumps to be side by side, this would come at the cost of either blocking the sign on the right, which would create a new visual issue and possibly ball clearance issues, or on the front side, this would block the flipper view, which of course would be a poor choice.

Perhaps it's because I had my 2D pumps in both spots all along, but my eyes follow from the upper playfield flipper to the rightmost sign, the path that the ball takes, and that lends itself to the ball travelling in between the pumps in a way that's visually appealing to me.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

My understanding of how this mod works is the following.
1.in Attract mode it is Pink and on solid.
2. Start Game it is Solid pink.
3. Upon first hit to the cross targets mod goes dark.
4. upon further hits the mod flashes red and then goes out.
5. during the mode it flashes over and over again.
Can other confirm this is correct.
on a few of ours that have had issues. they worked ok for one game and then after being in attract mode it only stayed on full pink and will do nothing else.
Or upon start it is just pink with again no response to any hits.
Magicchiz

The numbered description is correct for proper function. Staying lit with no interaction after switch hits is a component failure with an unknown reason thus far, and one that I haven't been able to replicate in test (there are a few posts here confirming such proper function on recent builds and some in the main RZ thread). The one in my machine since early Dec. shows no signs of any failure, but of course the issue is of concern, yet baffling at the moment given the inconsistent results. ZEN and Deafcon have offered to help troubleshoot and both likely know more than I on the electronics side of things. Thanks again to you both.

As noted, this week's run will have each unit tested in my machine (not just a bench test), and hopefully that will catch any weak components in the circuit.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

I can confirm that the above behavior is correct and is how my mod (batch 4) is functioning. Installed mine last night and it went really smoothly. I did end up removing the center ramp to make my life easier but it can be done easily without doing that. The end product looks great and fits in really well with the game theme. The highest praise I can give this mod is that it looks like it's supposed to be there from the start.
Great work medisinyl. 10/10 would recommend.

Thank you for confirming proper function and for the positive feedback

#131 6 years ago

I believe I've now solved the issue. While I had my lightboard out to machine test the units from this run, I did some experimenting and discovered that the lightboard was dropping resistance well below any bench test could produce. Generally I'd get 3.xx ohms out of normal light, but point blank light from the LDG board would drop resistance on some LDRs to ~0.05, which leads to excess heating of the LDR. I tested masking the light a few different ways, and was able to finally match my 3.xx ohms with blue cardstock as a filter and no longer get heating on the leads. It may have been user Magicchiz that actually suggested something similar when this issue was discussed. Whomever it was, you appear to have been correct

It now makes sense that some units work just fine as I noticed sometimes significant resistance variance between the LDRs out of the same package (reason some may not go to black as quickly as others and vice versa).

As I've run too late on these today to get international orders shipped today, they will ship tomorrow by noon. I'll get US orders out via kiosk today with tracking numbers being sent later tonight.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Are you going to send the card stock and instruction out to the #2 group

If requested I can send something out. As noted, my unit has worked perfectly fine since early Dec. without such a change. It would seem some of the LDRs were sturdier than others against this issue from the get-go. It certainly couldn't hurt to add a filter of some sort to the LDR. I would expect most colored construction paper would work with some super glue to adhere it over the sensor. As long as it still allowed enough light to pass to get the full LED brightness (should be a large enough range for this to see no issue with most filter options outside thin/white paper).

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I discussed masking the sensor to lower light sensitivity. Maybe it was me??

May very well have been your suggestion I was recalling then. I had no idea the LDR could be over-driven by overly bright light, but you were right EDIT: Though I suppose that was in regard to a separate issue (the sensor you got had a wonky resistance level compared to most in that range [as yours wasn't going black]).

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

So proactivwly I should try a layer/layers of tape over the led?

Perhaps some sort of opaque masking tape would offer a similar result (I'm sure there's a range of effect that would work the same). I'll upload a photo here later tonight of what I did for this run (not the most elegant fix, but it works and won't be seen). The photo would also show the color I used to get a near exact match compared with bench-test lighting.

EDIT: (photo). The existing design of the lightbox makes it easy to adhere a filter on top of the structure around the recessed sensor.

20180126_183520 (resized).jpg20180126_183520 (resized).jpg

#139 6 years ago

Going to note that two layers of blue painters tape over the sensor should also be a suitable approach to protecting the sensor from burning out. As this may be a common household item for many, I expect it could be the easier route. Sorry for not figuring this out sooner. Hopefully my transparency here as I struggled to solve the problem leaves some good faith (was just darn confusing with my prototype running strong and no reports from run #1 about this issue, leading me to assume it was the LED strip change in run #2...until some repairs failed again ).

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I found out why my #2 unit has not blown or burned up,ha ha I installed the led board backwards with the LEDs facing out not in and mine unit works perfectly ,I guess my incompetent installation worked to my advantage

Wow, I'm surprised it works perfectly that way. Apparently enough light must pass through the back of the board. Hmm. I may test it that way myself out of curiosity.

EDIT: I would recommend others do the same presuming this works as well as it sounds (even easier than needing tape, etc.). Crazy, ha ha

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I play in a darker room do that is the reason mine still looked fine even if not lit fully,works for me but mabey not in a bright room.

No amount of ambient room light could possibly cause an issue. I used brighter than normal light (point blank spotlight "gun") in my initial tests when prototyping. Just that darn LDG light turned out to be insanely bright tied with my ignorance to the fact that the photoresistor could go beyond a safe range with such light. At least I'll never make that mistake in the future should I ever find a reason to use such a sensor again.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Hmm, so install opposite the picture above.

Yep, apparently that works, ha ha

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

I have not installed mine yet, and agree it would be beneficial to have some precise photos of how we should be installing this thing to have it not break.

The photo posted is of course how the mod was intended to work (lights facing the sensor), and the way my own unit has continued to work, but with the issue that came up, it seems the best way in fact is the exact opposite of what I intended (to maintain safe resistance levels). The last run had the filter in place and would be safe in either direciton, but for those without the filter, it's easiest to install the board with lights facing AWAY from the sensor (rather than mess with any sort of filter).

EDIT: I just added a note on that post to help not lead anyone astray with it and several customers were contacted directly about the issue.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

I recently saw this mod in person, impressive work.

I appreciate that. Thank you

1 month later
#158 6 years ago

Adding the modified instructions here for the reversed board as discussed in the thread:

1 week later
#159 6 years ago

For those waiting, I'm currently in the midst of a run of 4 of them, though 3 are spoken for. Should be one available that won't be too far out on shipping. Likely be a couple weeks before I can start more as I'm in the midst of runs on the gas set and spine as well.

1 week later
#162 5 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

Is that the correct way to install. Want to make sure before I continue

Yes, that's the way to do it for the updated method. Just be careful when pushing that box into the mausoleum cavity as it's a tight squeeze when the board is flipped that way (it does fit, but was originally designed to fit the board the other way).

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

And done. Wow what a improvement keep doing what you are doing man great work.

Awesome! Thank you for the photo and feedback

7 months later
#166 5 years ago

Black Friday sale now in effect until Sunday. $20 off.

Thanks to all of those that supported this mod--it's currently in over 20% of all RZ machines! Perhaps this sale will help get it into a few more

Have a great holiday weekend

#167 5 years ago

I've also added a free ball stop to the black Friday sale for those that don't have one yet

7 months later
#168 4 years ago

Got the first order for a RED version. Neat to see something different (think every order was PINK aside from a couple Ice Blue).

The infinite effect in RED looks very "Stranger Things" to me. Hopefully the new owner will post an installed pic once recieved

20190724_153653 (resized).jpg20190724_153653 (resized).jpg20190724_153706 (resized).jpg20190724_153706 (resized).jpg
1 year later
#170 3 years ago

After over three years of making the Rob Zombie mods, they are now discontinued, with a final run call on the Mausoleum (details below). With some of these mods in what may be 40+% of all Rob Zombie machines (lost count a long time ago ), the support for them has been beyond any expectation, and I can't thank everyone enough.

With months of backlog for over a year now, I haven't been able to develop new mods, which is the more exciting aspect of modding for me, and many of these RZ mods take a long time to make (the gas set being the most tedious).

Anyone that was promised RZ mods will still be able to get them, so no concerns there (open orders, those on a list, and those that were promised mods with future Elvira runs).

As demand still continues to be consistent for these mods, I expect any sold second hand should maintain their value, or perhaps even fetch a premium (the previously discontinued spine mod has proven to be in demand at a premium, and is the rarest of the mods with only about 40 produced).

The ball stop mod will continue to be available for download on Thingiverse (no other files for RZ will be released).

--------

Mausoleum Final Run Call: It would likely be about 4+ months out on turnaround, but for the rest of January, if anyone still wants a Mausoleum mod, you can contact me via PM to be put on a list. They would be $245 shipped (no payment until I'm closer to shipping).

6 months later
#173 2 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Since you won’t be making these any more any chance you’d share the print file for DIYers? Just asking for others. I sold my RZ and really liked the mod I bought from you. It’d be a shame to not let it live (dead) on.

The files won't be released (discussed in some other threads).

Sorry to disappoint.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interactive-rob-zombie-mausoleum-mod-living-dead-girl-?tu=medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.