Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Tmezel
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-149.jpg
    image-383.jpg
    image-133.jpg
    image-512.jpg
    image-130.jpg
    image-238.jpg
    image-841.jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

MEZELmods would like to announce our upcoming undercab LED kit. The beta test version should be released by end of March, beginning of April. Here are some details.

1. Price point less than $100.
    2. Compatible with Stern SAM systems (23 machines), Sega Whitestar (14 machines) and Stern Whitestar (16 machines).
    3. Utilizes all flashers and low current powered devices (ex: MET rising grave marker) using the signal from the backbox.
    4. Currently uses 6 colors each of single color 5050 SMD LED strips (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple and White).
    5. Customer choice of what colors to associate with each flasher and low current powered devices.
    6. Each color strip will be 1.5 feet long with 27 5050 SMD LEDs each.
    7. Option to add more colors when available, such as orange, pink or light blue. Can be added to an existing install.
    8. Can be removed and put on any other of the above systems, colors can be reassigned to match new machines color scheme
    9. Separate components for easy removal when using a lift.
    10. No soldering, all plug and play
    11. Simple instructions to pick your colors and quickly setup up the LEDs as you prefer. Can be experimented with to get the look you want.

Looking for feedback while we are finalizing this product.

#3 10 years ago

Sounds great to me and I could always use another batch of mrs_mezelmods cookies, those were good.

#4 10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Sounds great to me and I could always use another batch of mrs_mezelmods cookies, those were good.

I only got the crumbs from those heart-shaped cookies. Glad you enjoyed them.

#6 10 years ago

Orange has now been ordered. 7 colors. Any requests for others. I now have red, green, blue, yellow, purple, orange and white.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

I only got the crumbs from those heart-shaped cookies.

Sucker, customer comes first. (joke)
    And they were good, kudos to the chef

#8 10 years ago

I didn't get any cookies............

#9 10 years ago

Is there a price with and without cookies?

#10 10 years ago

You said you were looking for feedback, so here you go....

Consider making a version that can be used on the playfield on ramps/returns. For instance, I'd like to run some LEDs along my ST Pro ramp returns.

When I have looked at buying some LED strips, I thought the 'waterproof' versions of LEDs strips that look clear would probably look nicer for using on the playfield.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

You said you were looking for feedback, so here you go....
    Consider making a version that can be used on the playfield on ramps/returns. For instance, I'd like to run some LEDs along my ST Pro ramp returns.
    When I have looked at buying some LED strips, I thought the 'waterproof' versions of LEDs strips that look clear would probably look nicer for using on the playfield.

I will check that out on my ST Pro again. I was contemplating that for reals. What color do you think?

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Is there a price with and without cookies?

Cookies are free when it's a special occasion. She also sent pumpkin bread to our 10 biggest customers. BTW, I didn't get any of that.

#13 10 years ago

No more cookies until I figure out how to send without them turning to crumbs!

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

I didn't get any cookies............

I'm sorry- next time you order I'll send some along. Maybe when we get that coffin done. You have to promise to share with the Steelers though....

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

No more cookies until I figure out how to send without them turning to crumbs!

Mine were perfect when I got them. I even took a pic because I was going to make a separate post about how I love small companies like yours for the personal touches like the cookies. I will post the pics later, but they came completely intact and were delicious! Thanks mrs_mezelmods!

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Mine were perfect when I got them. I even took a pic because I was going to make a separate post about how I love small companies like yours for the personal touches like the cookies. I will post the pics later, but they came completely intact and were delicious! Thanks mrs_mezelmods!

Yay!! So glad to hear that! All was not wasted.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

I will check that out on my ST Pro again. I was contemplating that for reals. What color do you think?

Blue, red, and white would be the best colors for Star Trek Pro I think. I could see having one color be for when a ball goes up the ramp/return (blue or white) and another (red) for tying into the Vengeance and flashing red when you hit the ship.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Blue, red, and white would be the best colors for Star Trek Pro I think. I could see having one color be for when a ball goes up the ramp/return (blue or white) and another (red) for tying into the Vengeance and flashing red when you hit the ship.

Remember this kit uses every flasher in each game. ST Pro has 11 flashers and ST Prem/LE has 14. And of course you choose the colors you want. No two games may be alike due to personal preference.

#19 10 years ago

I just put a prototype together today with 2 feet for each color. I played in the dark and it was crazy.

#20 10 years ago

Video. I used all the flashers/all 7 colors and it even lights when the cross moves on my Premium. It's a long video through several multi balls. You need to be careful with white, it flushes the other colors out when it comes on, otherwise the colors are vibrant.

I just watched the wife play without white and holy cow! Awesome. New video tomorrow.

#21 10 years ago

Video without white LEDs. Only red, blue, green, yellow and purple. Orange is on it's way!

1 week later
    #22 10 years ago

Here is an example of how to choose your colors. The flash lamp sheet will be provided when ordering. Here is an example for Metallica that I would use. All 13 flashers will be utilized.

Red for each ramp.
    Yellow for the back panels to match my MEZELmod yellow speakers.
    Green for Snake.
    Blue for the coffin insert to match the MEZELmod hammer blue LED.
    Blue for pop bumpers.
    Purple for the grave markers, when the grave marker goes up and down and the grave marker 2x flashers.
    Etc...

If at anytime you want to change a color, a new strip can replace the previous one. Worst case if you sell you machine, you can remove it and reconfigure it.

image-841.jpgimage-841.jpg

#23 10 years ago

All parts have been acquired. PCB will be ordered this week. I think the price point is coming in nicely.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

Remember this kit uses every flasher in each game. ST Pro has 11 flashers and ST Prem/LE has 14. And of course you choose the colors you want. No two games may be alike due to personal preference.

Sounds very interesting Hmm I own a ST Pro

#25 10 years ago

The MEZELmods flasher bus board has been ordered this weekend. Should have available for show at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown and Gameroom Expo.

1 week later
    #26 10 years ago

The bus board has been shipped! I imagine this mod will be ready for its unveiling this weekend!

#27 10 years ago

The boards have arrived. Built harnesses and tested on Metallica. It works wonderfully. Metallica Premium/LE has 12 flashers and the motor driven cross with LED strips synced accordingly. 6 colors to choose from. This board is built to be compatible with all of the new Sterns.

Here's a pic of the boards. I will take a picture of the whole thing tomorrow and take some video. Will announce the early adopter pricing info here soon.

image-238.jpgimage-238.jpg

#28 10 years ago

Just a sample what this does with just the Super Skill shot. This is mounted on some scrap plastic I had. The final version will be mounted on cut plastic with Velcro. The plastic is wide enough to hold 15 strips which is the max that any game has.

#29 10 years ago

Pic of the flasher assembly, strips can easily be replaced with other colors, if needed.

image-130.jpgimage-130.jpg

#30 10 years ago

nice tim, looks clean and professional, love the board.

#31 10 years ago

After a detailed investigation, it looks like this kit will be compatible with 53 machines. Remember that means you can move it from machine to machine and just change the color of the strips. So if you sell your machine, keep it! I will be making replacement strips very reasonable priced for those that buy the initial kit.

1. Stern SAM systems (23 machines)
    2. Sega Whitestar (14 machines)
    3. Stern Whitestar (16 machines)

#32 10 years ago

I moved the kit from Metallica to my Sega Star Wars Trilogy last night and it worked! The color choices were not the ones I would choose, but I validated how easy it is to change machines, if you were to sell that one, or you just want to move it. After I debut the kit in Denver this weekend, I will finalize everything.

I will be looking for willing participants in the beginning for certain machines which will include a killer deal.

#33 10 years ago

I have a couple of questions that I may have just overlooked the answers. Is the board going to be mounted under the game close to the light strips (as pictured above)? Are you supplying the connection cables from the board to the J6 and J7 connections (that include a piggy back of some sort)?

I'm also guessing you will be posting some videos of this operating under a game, though I would guess only a certain amount can be judged from a video. I'm anxious to hear if the 3 ft of LED strip is noticeably different than strips bordering the entire cabinet and also if the separate color strips going off at the same time can be noticed as being different or how much the 2 colors blend together.

I would be interested in one of these for my Black Spider-Man, but the J7 connection is already being used by my back box flasher kit. I think having a dedicated yellow for Sandman would work much better than just having RGB strips under it.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I have a couple of questions that I may have just overlooked the answers. Is the board going to be mounted under the game close to the light strips (as pictured above)? Are you supplying the connection cables from the board to the J6 and J7 connections (that include a piggy back of some sort)?
    I'm also guessing you will be posting some videos of this operating under a game, though I would guess only a certain amount can be judged from a video. I'm anxious to hear if the 3 ft of LED strip is noticeably different than strips bordering the entire cabinet and also if the separate color strips going off at the same time can be noticed as being different or how much the 2 colors blend together.
    I would be interested in one of these for my Black Spider-Man, but the J7 connection is already being used by my back box flasher kit. I think having a dedicated yellow for Sandman would work much better than just having RGB strips under it.

The board is mounted on standoffs on the plexiglass that the LEDs strips are mounted on. The board is simply attached with industrial strength Velcro for simple removal. It does come with the cables that piggy back into the J6 and J7 connections. I am now using 1.5 feet for each LED strip and am confident that it provides a great light show.

If you watch my real short video, you can see in many cases the flashers don't always come on at they same time, they sequence, which is very cool. When the flashers do come on at the same time, since the LEDs are next to each other you can see both colors and some mixing. There are so many combinations it's hard to explain. Since you can pick your colors, the combinations are very large. A lot of videos I see with the undercab mods are during a multiball sequence, when tons of lights are going off, I personally get the satisfaction when just one flasher is activated and the one color just pops. On Metallica, when the cross rises and lowers, it has a really cool purple glow for several seconds.

And yes, you can have all the yellow you want. What I can also do for a very reasonable price is to make a short piggy back cable, to piggy back on your piggy back.

#35 10 years ago

Luci ready to go, 15 flashers, one flasher hooked up to two colors.

image-512.jpgimage-512.jpg

Colors, detonator will do both red and yellow.

image-133.jpgimage-133.jpg

#36 10 years ago

This looks very impressive! Great idea!

#37 10 years ago

Luci and Metallica working flawlessly in Denver!

1 week later
    #38 10 years ago

The kit is going to be listed today! Exciting for the MEZELmod crew to get this to production.

#39 10 years ago

Kit is listed http://mezelmods.com/collections/led-kits/products/interactive-ledkit

Use the 'choose file' option when ordering to send us the selected colors. $20 dollars off will be deducted on the first 10 orders on specific machines in return for some videos. All 50+ available machines are listed on the website.

1. No soldering, all plug and play. Harnesses plug into J6 and J7.
    2. Compatible with Stern SAM systems (23+ machines), Sega Whitestar (14 machines) and Stern Whitestar (16 machines)
    3. Utilizes all flashers and low current powered devices (ex: MET rising grave marker) using the signal from the backbox
    4. Currently uses 6 colors each of single color 5050 SMD LED strips (red, blue, green, yellow, purple and white)
    5. Customer choice of what colors to associate with each flasher and low current powered devices
    6. LED color strips are 1.5 feet long with 27 5050 SMD LEDs each providing enough flash not to be overpowering
    7. Designed for easy removal when using a lift to move your game
    8. Can be removed and put on any other of the above systems, colors can be reassigned to match new machines color scheme

#40 10 years ago

for a product like this and with all the options, it's pretty damn hard to beat, great price too, well done!

#41 10 years ago

Looks like we have folks that also want the back of backbox accessory as an option. I will be offering the same design with with a smaller footprint. You will be able to order it by itself or with the undercab kit. I suppose you could also put it on top of the backbox as well to project the lightshow on the ceiling.

#42 10 years ago

Picture of one of the harnesses, nice and clean.

image-383.jpgimage-383.jpg

#43 10 years ago

So that harness snakes out between the backbox and the cab and then goes down the back to the bottom?

One issue is that it is hard to determine in advance what colors will look best without some hands-on experimentation with the machine in question.

Can't you simply change the LED strips connections to the board underneath the cab to fine tune "the show" after you get it? How are the LED srips attached to the board under the cab?

Thanks

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

So that harness snakes out between the backbox and the cab and then goes down the back to the bottom?
    One issue is that it is hard to determine in advance what colors will look best without some hands-on experimentation with the machine in question.
    Can't you simply change the LED strips connections to the board underneath the cab to fine tune "the show" after you get it? How are the LED srips attached to the board under the cab?
    Thanks

The harness comes out of the bottom of the backbox and goes down the back to the undercab.

You bet, you can change the colors if you need to. The strips are adhered to the board with their own adhesive backing and wire connected with the quick connects on the bus board, they are not soldered, only the wires to the. LEDs are soldered. The board is attached with Velcro, so you can remove it for testing or for the use of a lift.

I will sell replacement strips for cheap if you decide to change any of them.

You can even add another color later, like I did on ACDC detonator, instead of just red, it does red and yellow. Cool!

#46 10 years ago

You're ridiculous Tim. I need this for my MET DD, STLE, and LOTR. Killer job.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

You're ridiculous Tim. I need this for my MET DD, STLE, and LOTR. Killer job.

PM me and a couple of these will qualify for the $20 off.

#48 10 years ago

So how do you install these to keep from getting damaged by a pinball cart and/or sliding the pin in and out of a vehicle with no legs on?

#49 10 years ago

The LED board is attached with Velcro and the harnesses can be unplugged from the LED board too. This is how I got it to the Denver show and back. Lift friendly!

#50 10 years ago

Yeah I frequently move games within my house or to and from shows so that is important.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interactive-led-undercab-kit-mezelmods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.