MSensorTop (resized).png
MotionWiresBackbox (resized).png
attractConnectionV2 (resized).jpg
AttractHarness (resized).JPG
ChildBoard (resized).jpg
010 (resized).JPG
007 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

I decided to create a separate thread for my Mandalorian child mod to avoid confusion since the main Grogu modding thread is focused on the Acejedi mod. His is an excellent DIY mod but I wanted to make one that was interactive/controllable based on game events. I plan to install it on a mando premium that I hope to get should they ever become available again.

This mod is driven by a microcontroller. It was installed on a Mando Pro at level one bar in the Columbus area. It has also been installed on a couple of premium/LE machines. For a limited time, I will be giving a 10% discount on the prices shown. Also, if you don't like the mod for any reason, return it for a full refund.

Mando Pro model - $300 + shipping

1. "The Force" motion and LED necklace triggered by the diverter coil for the small playfield(Protect the Child encounter, etc.).
2. Random motions and LED necklace triggered by the upper left ramp gate.

Mando Premium/LE model - $320 + shipping

1. "The Force" motion and LED necklace triggered by the child magnet.
2. Random motions and LED necklace triggered by the diverter coil for the small playfield(Protect the Child encounter, etc.).
3. Random motions and LED necklace triggered by the upper left ramp gate.

Please contact me directly if you would like one. Thanks for your interest.

#2 2 years ago

Very cool man. Can’t wait to see more. I’d be interested

#3 2 years ago

Interested as well

#4 2 years ago

This mod looks spectacular!!! To be able to activate his movements with the switches in the game is going to be epic!!!!

1 week later
#5 2 years ago

Very nice! I decided to tie it into a few of the ball/microswitches on the child letters but like the coil diverter and left ramp gate aspect too.

I have one of these timer relays from amazon and the trigger is a ground when completed by the microswitch -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V67ZT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Do you have any pictures or details on your microcontroller setup for those two methods you mentioned above for the diverter/left ramp gate? Would be nice for me to add this as an option to trigger him

1 week later
#6 2 years ago
Quoted from sirocket:

Very nice! I decided to tie it into a few of the ball/microswitches on the child letters but like the coil diverter and left ramp gate aspect too.
I have one of these timer relays from amazon and the trigger is a ground when completed by the microswitch -> amazon.com link »
Do you have any pictures or details on your microcontroller setup for those two methods you mentioned above for the diverter/left ramp gate? Would be nice for me to add this as an option to trigger him

Hi sirocket, thanks for the interest! This design of the mod interfaces with the toy's original board so if you have removed that board, it wouldn't work.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from dpannell:

Hi sirocket, thanks for the interest! This design of the mod interfaces with the toy's original board so if you have removed that board, it wouldn't work.

Will this work off the magnet?

#8 2 years ago

Here is a general update. I just received the prototype PCB's and I have built a couple more. There is a pro and a LE/premium version. The LE/premium version adds an additional trigger for the child magnet. If anyone is interested in one for their game, send me a pm.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Will this work off the magnet?

It should but it hasn't been tested yet since I don't have the game. I'm trying to arrange a test, I'll post an update once it's confirmed. I have successfully tested it with the magnet on my Stern Star Trek.

#10 2 years ago

I’d happily test one pm me, if your desperate for a tester drop me a pm with a price

#11 2 years ago

pm sent.

#12 2 years ago

I still have the original board and parts if needed. Curious how you have it rigged using the original board? i could probably follow suit in hybrid form

#13 2 years ago

Interested. I don't have a pro yet, but have the metal wire forms for when I do.

#14 2 years ago

I installed DPannell’s Grogu mod today on my Mando Premium. I really like this because it triggers off specific game events. Here are some video’s of game play triggering with the upper playfield diverter, the child magnet and movement from the left upper ramp gate.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from mrcosmo:

I installed DPannell’s Grogu mod today on my Mando Premium. I really like this because it triggers off specific game events. Here are some video’s of game play triggering with the upper playfield diverter, the child magnet and movement from the left upper ramp gate.

A special thanks to mrcosmo for helping me confirm that the magnet sensor works as expected. This is the first time the child was installed on a premium/LE. Also he provided the game play videos, feedback and some pics to make the install doc better. Thanks again!

2 weeks later
#16 2 years ago

Hi dpannel. I sent you a pm but didn’t hear back. Not sure if you missed my message. Can you send me info if you are still doing kits thanks

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hi dpannel. I sent you a pm but didn’t hear back. Not sure if you missed my message. Can you send me info if you are still doing kits thanks

Sorry, I missed your message. I replied to your message.

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

Some of you have asked for pictures of the board and how it connects to the toy(see below). I'm currently building a few of these to be delivered at the Pincinnati pinball event this weekend. I will be there all weekend and should have at least one extra at the show in case anyone is interested.

007 (resized).JPG007 (resized).JPG010 (resized).JPG010 (resized).JPGChildBoard (resized).jpgChildBoard (resized).jpg
1 week later
#19 2 years ago

Just installed interactive Grogu. Uses a light sensor of one of the CHILD letters to trigger movement. Works great, only problem is it works great in attract mode and is constantly moving as well as getting a feedback noise in the speakers. Is there a way to minimize this and/or make an adjustment in attract mode that doesn't illuminate the CHILD inserts as often? Thanks in advance for your insights.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Just installed interactive Grogu. Uses a light sensor of one of the CHILD letters to trigger movement. Works great, only problem is it works great in attract mode and is constantly moving as well as getting a feedback noise in the speakers. Is there a way to minimize this and/or make an adjustment in attract mode that doesn't illuminate the CHILD inserts as often? Thanks in advance for your insights.

try using a different insert, like the "child" insert along the left orbit. It won't trigger quite as much, but it will still be pretty active in attract mode, just not as much during game play. I think it's kind of cool how he moves in attract mode. Not sure why you would get feedback through the speakers. is the feedback constant or just when the child is active? i would double check your connections.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

try using a different insert, like the "child" insert along the left orbit. It won't trigger quite as much, but it will still be pretty active in attract mode, just not as much during game play. I think it's kind of cool how he moves in attract mode. Not sure why you would get feedback through the speakers. is the feedback constant or just when the child is active? i would double check your connections.

Thanks man, I like the "child" insert idea, will try that. The feedback isn't constant, it "pops" when the insert triggers the switch and does the initial "wake up" of Grogu. Will double check the connections but it's quite annoying now that i hear it while i'm playing. otherwise, love the animation. And @Lermods, always the best customer service and always quick to reply to my stupid questions when I can't figure out how to hook stuff up!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Thanks man, I like the "child" insert idea, will try that. The feedback isn't constant, it "pops" when the insert triggers the switch and does the initial "wake up" of Grogu. Will double check the connections but it's quite annoying now that i hear it while i'm playing. otherwise, love the animation. And Lermods, always the best customer service and always quick to reply to my stupid questions when I can't figure out how to hook stuff up!

I have the same problem. Someone mentioned you can keep the door open on the machine until your ready to play. Obviously not a permanent solution but hoping to be able to attach to the magnet so it won’t turn on in attract mode

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Thanks man, I like the "child" insert idea, will try that. The feedback isn't constant, it "pops" when the insert triggers the switch and does the initial "wake up" of Grogu. Will double check the connections but it's quite annoying now that i hear it while i'm playing. otherwise, love the animation. And Lermods, always the best customer service and always quick to reply to my stupid questions when I can't figure out how to hook stuff up!

try moving the sensor wire and/or the black box, either of them potentially could be picking up interference somehow. I've never heard of this so not quite sure what the issue might be.

#24 2 years ago

A few of you have asked about the optional attract feature. If the attract feature is not connected, the child is only triggered by the ramp gate, the mini playfield gate, or the magnet("The Force" movement). With the attract feature in place, the child is triggered by movement in front of the game. Once triggered, it will only trigger again if there is motion and it has been at least 3 minutes since the last time it ran. Also, attract will not trigger for at least 5 minutes from the time that one of the gameplay triggers have fired. Below are some pics from the install guide specific to the attract feature.

AttractHarness (resized).JPGAttractHarness (resized).JPGMSensorTop (resized).pngMSensorTop (resized).pngMotionWiresBackbox (resized).pngMotionWiresBackbox (resized).pngattractConnectionV2 (resized).jpgattractConnectionV2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#25 2 years ago

I received my animated Grogu from Dan in only 2 days! I finally got it installed yesterday and it is very easy to get the sensors mounted to all 3 locations as they are clearly labeled (I did not do the attract feature). The mounting bolt lined up perfectly with the bottom hole from the original Grogu and I had no issues. I really like how it only triggers on the 3 events and EVEN my wife was impressed. The instructions are clear and it works exactly the same as the videos "mrcsomo" posted above. This is definitely what should have been installed from the factory.

Thanks Dan!

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from eyewantone:

I received my animated Grogu from Dan in only 2 days! I finally got it installed yesterday and it is very easy to get the sensors mounted to all 3 locations as they are clearly labeled (I did not do the attract feature). The mounting bolt lined up perfectly with the bottom hole from the original Grogu and I had no issues. I really like how it only triggers on the 3 events and EVEN my wife was impressed. The instructions are clear and it works exactly the same as the videos "mrcsomo" posted above. This is definitely what should have been installed from the factory.
Thanks Dan!

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like it! I can't promise everyone 2 day shipping, that was some sort of happy accident with the USPS.

1 month later
#27 2 years ago

For those of you who haven't installed the mod yet, I recently got my game(finally!). I found that it is much easier to pull the playfield all the way forward, raise the rear and support it as shown in the photo below. I used a small trash can. It's much easier to install the ramp gate and playfield diverter sensors in this position. I updated the install doc as well.

playfield supported (resized).jpgplayfield supported (resized).jpg
#28 2 years ago

Many of you have asked about the log term reliability of the mod, and I have wondered about it myself. After all, its a child's toy, right? I just learned that the first one I created and installed on a mando pro at level 1 bar and arcade in Columbus over 4 months ago is still working! This is a busy location that is open every day of the week. I'm thinking that much run time would probably equal at least a few years in a home environment.

2 weeks later
#29 2 years ago

This mod is fantastic. Took me maybe 25 minutes to put in. Grogu is a tight fit on the Prem/LE but it works great. Love it. Baby Yoda Lives!

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This mod is fantastic. Took me maybe 25 minutes to put in. Grogu is a tight fit on the Prem/LE but it works great. Love it. Baby Yoda Lives!

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!

2 weeks later
#31 2 years ago

Since I created this mod several months ago, many of you have asked if I have a kit version. I've finally had the time to document the build process and I've been working with another pinsider(@shadowolph) to validate a kit and my assembly document. Please be advised that detailed soldering of small wires would be required but I'm sure that many pinsider's are capable. Below is a picture of what comes in the kit. You would also need to purchase the child toy. Send me a PM if you are interested in the kit or if you would like to see the assembly doc. Of course I will still be making the complete mod if that is your preference.

KidKitContents (resized).pngKidKitContents (resized).png
#32 2 years ago

Hey Pinsiders,

I just got done doing Ace Jedi and Lermods wiring harness set up and successfully installed the animatronic grogu toy in the machine and it looks and performs great. I thought I was done with the side armor rails, shooter know and art blades but eventually I realized I wanted this mod in my machine as well. It was a fun little project to work on for a bit this weekend and not too difficult. I have a dremel and picked up a soldering iron and went to work taking apart the toy, cut some plastic with the dremel, wiring in the harness connection and re assembly. The wiring harness from Lermods makes this easy even down to providing sticky tape on the connection box to make mounting simple.
When all was done and I got the toy set in the machine correctly this mod looks and play awesome.
Definitely worth adding to any machine.

#33 2 years ago

I'm posting the links to my Kit build doc so you can see the detailed soldering of small wires that I mentioned.

Kit Build Doc...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jqRAGWWG8ZA5yJuADd1XmO5AdLfBqFZq/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=104285597078982708398&rtpof=true&sd=true

If you want to order a kit, send me a PM. Also, let me know if you want the motion detection attract feature. You can order it at a later date if you are unsure.

1 month later
#34 1 year ago

This mod works as advertised- it's a TIGHT FIT, but it is working in my Mando PREM!
I am pleased with its operation and function.
Brings Grogu to life as it should have been...

#35 1 year ago

Thanks BSoulMan, I appreciate the feedback. Glad you like it, enjoy your Mando Prem.

3 months later
#36 1 year ago

How much is the kit?

#37 1 year ago

Hello prentice,

The kit is $115(w/o motion detect attract) plus $10 shipping if you are in the US.

If you want attract, it's an extra $25 for the sensor/harness.

4 months later
#38 1 year ago

This baby grogu mod is truly special making for an entirely new and better Interactive experience that you just do not get without. An absolute must have and be sure to get the neon green Flasher mod from Mezel mods that goes above him. The combination is priceless.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrisg1976:

This baby grogu mod is truly special making for an entirely new and better Interactive experience that you just do not get without. An absolute must have and be sure to get the neon green Flasher mod from Mezel mods that goes above him. The combination is priceless.

Maybe if Stern hadn’t cheaped out on a doll these would’ve been factory.

Great job. Hopefully I’ll experience a Mando with one of these someday. Amazing work.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrisg1976:

An absolute must have and be sure to get the neon green Flasher mod from Mezel mods that goes above him. The combination is priceless.

That’s actually our mod. Mezelmods is one of our resellers. Glad you like it!

https://lermods.com/shop-by-game/ols/products/the-mandalorian-pinball-grogu-flasher

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrisg1976:

Thanks so much for installing and providing feedback on my Grogu! The main goal of my version was to provide interactivity by triggering the child during modes(save the child, etc.). I'm so glad you noticed!

2 months later
#42 1 year ago
Quoted from dpannell:

Hello prentice,
The kit is $115(w/o motion detect attract) plus $10 shipping if you are in the US.
If you want attract, it's an extra $25 for the sensor/harness.

Great work Are you still selling the Kit? Is shipping to Europe possible? I have currently the standard mod installed but I am not very pleased with the clunky movements and the noise of the relay on the diode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Neenah, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interactive-child-for-the-mandalorian?hl=jamwin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.