Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballs:

Intel, M$ and others removing legacy support truly stinks. How much money do the greedy corporations need to make? They have country-sized market caps yet can't keep a few files on their websites. Greedy fucks.
    Hey Intel et al, if you don't support your customers, don't be surprised when your former customers buy Chinese. Loyalty can die bilaterally, as can dinosaur corporations.

Sorry, intel is not supporting ancient hardware that ceased to be relevant decades ago and you are bitching? Get over it they don't owe you anything.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Look, it's one of those people who don't get it.

Yea, as a software developer I must not get it. The notion that companies owe you something to maintain a product that ceased generating revenue decades ago. Whining because intel is ceasing to support 20 year old drivers, while buying Sterns when they are notorious for ceasing to stock game specific parts shortly after a game comes out. Guess I just don't get it, but hey, go throw more money at gary and then whine at intel for not hosting drivers that more than likely you can find an alternate sites.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

As a software developer you SHOULD get it, especially as someone who is into something old, like pinball machines. Your responses show that you really don't though - and I don't mean any disrespect by that comment. No one is asking for support, and it isn't up to you or anyone else to tell anyone they should or shouldn't use something. I have examples of why this is a headache, and these discussions always go the same route, people who understand the need, and those who don't because 'why would you be using something so old??'. This mentality has gotten a lot of traction with the forced updates and closed ecosystems such as Apple have made everyone think it is a good thing. In many cases it should be, but it also eliminates choice and forces obsolescence.
    There ARE other places you can get the files, but it is much more difficult than it should be given it's the internet and yes, it is more likely they are fake files. Go google any number of Win95 driver files and see how many fake driver files you come across before (or even IF) you actually find what you are looking for.(just an example).
    At the end of the day, it is their discretion to have them or not, but it is costing them nearly nothing to host those files. Unfortunately, there probably are a number of people who expect support when something doesn't work as expected.

I don't get it. This is shit that is by industry standards archaic. Things they have no reasonable expectation of supporting. If Ford stopped selling a model in 1993 they internet doesn't get in a tizzy because they no longer stock parts. They look to the aftermarket or shrug their shoulders.

On the other hand if it is a piece of software suddenly there is an obligation? Just because its bits doesn't mean there isn't a cost associated with maintaining the repository and serving it up for the masses who are too lazy to download and store it on a disk.

If this crap were 5 years old I'd get your argument, but its not. This is shit that ceased to be relevant decades ago. As someone who owns the occasional arcade (non pin)and deals with it I get its a pain. Dealing with trying to validate windows xp pro for my sega rally 3 running Europa was no fun because sega doesn't support it. (It also apparently isn't a regular copy of xp either so you can't validate it like any other) The difference is I don't have my head stuck in the clouds and realize sega stopped caring about it once it was off their books and I am not whining about it like the people in this thread.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I guess you don’t own a Pinball 2000 game.

Check my collection history, I have. Shit, check my current collection and my post history. I deal with more unsupported games than just about anyone on here. Heighway, Capcom, Alvin G, Suncoast, got em all, makes the people complaining about stern or williams parts being hard to find laughable.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

So? People still use legacy stuff all the time.

So? That doesn't mean the manufacturer owes them anything. Let someone else host it. If Intel were to go after driver/bios hosting sites I could see the rage, but not a word of that. Just the notion that intel isn't going to foot the bill because you may decide to someday own a machine that is old enough to legally drink doesn't mean they owe you anything. Stop asking for handouts. If you have a problem with this go build a hosting site and pay the bills or find a way to monetize it. Otherwise stop whining which is what this entire thread is, a bunch of grown men whining for a handout but not willing to pay for any of it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intel-to-remove-older-drivers-amp-bios-updates-from-website-this-week?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.