Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

It won’t be long until people package these downloads with spyware and post them on 3rd party sites.

That already happens with other manufacturers who either don't have the drivers available, have gone out of business, or were swallowed up by another company.

#10 4 years ago

They're not actively supporting/developing the drivers...just offering them for download. Just having a legitimate place for download is all I would need.

The problem with 3rd parties is that you're not 100% sure if you're getting the latest version, or a malware-free experience. Lots of download hosting sites out there aren't always legitimate and clean.

Not only is there vintage hardware in the arcade world, but also the scientific, medical, and manufacturing fields. A lot of that stuff is specifically developed for or locked onto a specific set of hardware.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

If Ford stopped selling a model in 1993 they internet doesn't get in a tizzy because they no longer stock parts.

What about manuals, parts catalogs, and other reference materials?

We're not talking about manufacturing anything here. They're just files that have been preserved and available for download from the original source.

Quoted from dung:

serving it up for the masses who are too lazy to download and store it on a disk

That only applies if you're a current owner. If someone acquires the hardware at some point down the road without knowing ahead of time that they were going to stumble upon it, they're going to be stuck. Or what about repair guys? I run across stuff all the time I've never worked on before, and need to download the associated documentation, ROMs, drivers, etc. You can expect me to download all of that stuff in advance without knowing ahead of time what I'll be encountering. That's just a silly argument.

Quoted from dung:

This is shit that ceased to be relevant decades ago.

So? People still use legacy stuff all the time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/intel-to-remove-older-drivers-amp-bios-updates-from-website-this-week?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.