8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by catboxer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I've just started collecting less than a year ago. My Pins are in my basement and I'm in the Midwest. Is is a fairly common occurrence for sump pumps to stop working(or septics to back up) and flood basements. I had decent coverage without the pins and once I've added in the Pins there is not a lot left to cover the home in the event that water comes in.

My regular coverage will take care of everything else on the home and pins(fire, theft, storm damage, etc), just having a tough time figuring out an affordable way to cover the pins in the event the sump pump stops working. This seems to be the hole in coverage. For example, if the basement flooded it might cost$25,000 and if there is 8 pins valued at $48,000 my coverage is capped at $50,000. I would be in a bad spot. Are there separate companies like cars to insure for this specific event? I do have a back up pump, battery.

Any thoughts on places to cover these specifically.

#2 8 years ago

I have a 50k rider also for like $80 a year.

My basement has a battery backup, water backup...and high water level alarm for the sump

My thinking is to do any real damage to a pin...the water level would have to get pretty darn high.

There's was a thread started just a bit ago about secondary pin coverage...lots of good stuff in that thread

#4 8 years ago

A good place to start would be to talk with your current insurance agent about getting "collection insurance coverage" to cover your pinball collection, this would be a rider to cover your pin's on top of any-other coverage you have.

There are also companies that specialize in insuring collections that can be found online.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I have a 50k rider also for like $80 a year.
    My basement has a battery backup, water backup...and high water level alarm for the sump
    My thinking is to do any real damage to a pin...the water level would have to get pretty darn high.
    There's was a thread started just a bit ago about secondary pin coverage...lots of good stuff in that thread

Yeah...if you have a high water alarm and you lose power and the water hits the alarm, you still have time to hook up a generator. We also have plug in light that lights up and alarms to wake us up if the power goes.

The only time you REALLY have to be concerned is if you live in a flood basin. Otherwise, a general basement in a heavy rainstorm will take some time to get the water up to the level of the wood on the cabinets. You'd have to be in a friggin' coma not to catch it in time...or traveling.

My biggest concern is the overhead plumbing bursting for whatever reason. I'm not worried about the cold since we got down to -10 this winter. But the monkeys who did our house very well could have welded the pipes like shit.

#6 8 years ago
    #7 8 years ago

The year I built my house I had water about 16" deep across my 900sq ft basement. I think it was something like 3.5" of rain in 45 minutes with the power out. No pins were damaged, I just had to dry and wd40 the levelers. Now I have a better sump pit, better drainage outside, and an automatic whole house genset. For some reason I still haven't stopped paying the extra $350 a year for sump backup insurance. It only covers 10k too (max allowed), probably with a 1k deductible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insurance-on-your-pins-in-the-event-of-sump-pump-back-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.