(Topic ID: 191016)

Insulating compound or lead?

By Thrillhouse

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170609_222842 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Im digging into a lost world and am going to replace the rectifier board as it pretty much looks toasted. I know that alot of these old components have lead in them and want to be sure how careful i need to be cleaning this up. I pulled the board off its mooring and found alot of this white paste. I know that lead oxide is white but is usually is more solid or powdery. Any of you old pro's know if this is isulating compound, lead or a mix of both?

20170609_222842 (resized).jpg20170609_222842 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

It is a thermal compound. Totally safe, comes in tubes like small tooth-paste. It is used to make a good thermal bond for the bridge rectifier to transfer heat to a heat sink. Looks like the last person put it on the wrong side (or both sides) of the br. This would put heat to the board and make things worse.

The BR would be soldered to the board and either a heat sink mounted on top or in this case the BR get mounted to the solder (not component) side of the board. Then the thermal compound gets put on the BR and the board is mounted to a metal plate that acts as a huge heat sink.

#3 6 years ago

I agree. It's thermal paste. Nothing to worry about.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insulating-compound-or-lead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.