020.JPG
016.JPG
photo.JPG
photo1.JPG
SAM_3650.JPG
SAM_3648.JPG
IMG951987.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I just picked up this mod for my Creature, but have no installation instructions.

Does anyone have any protips on how to remove the original backboard and install the new one?

Vid of the mod installed:

IMG951987.jpgIMG951987.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I got it all figured it out on my own, but in case anyone else needs help with this mod in the future, here's what I did:

The original backboard is glued and stapled at the top, and I was able to remove it (without damaging it) by simply holding the board at the bottom on both sides and carefully wiggling it back forth. Once the original board was out, I removed the staples that were left hanging down so they wouldn't be in the way of the all-plexi replacement.

To mount the new backboard inside the cabinet, I'm currently using cardboard shims on the sides to hold it in place, but will replace those with velcro strips when I pick some up.

To power the 12v LED strip, I soldered wires to the coin door board in section J4 (pin 1 for ground, pin 4 for 12v as is printed on the board).

The LED strip that came with the mod proved to be too bright and long, so I replaced it with a smaller strip of 6 LEDs that I centered around the sun in the backboard's image. The brightness level is just right, and it with the strip mounted near the top of the backbox, it does a good job at giving the effect of a sunset.

These pictures don't quite do it justice, as with the flash off (pic #1), it looks like the LEDs are washing out the image. In-person, it looks far better, with nothing being washed out or even spotty-looking. (Using the LED strip holder that came with the mod, my smaller LED strip sits off the backbox enough that the LEDs don't create any visual hotspot effects.)

SAM_3648.JPGSAM_3648.JPG SAM_3650.JPGSAM_3650.JPG

#3 11 years ago

Looks sweet dude. Where did you get the mod?
I've just finished a full rebuild on a Creature and like the look of that.
I also want the tail light mod for the upper board at some point, but there doesn't seem to be anyone left selling them.
Cheers.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Muppet_Man:

Looks sweet dude. Where did you get the mod?
I've just finished a full rebuild on a Creature and like the look of that.
I also want the tail light mod for the upper board at some point, but there doesn't seem to be anyone left selling them.
Cheers.

There is

But you will need to find the thread as he may have a few spare from his latest run. They are great as I got one from him.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Muppet_Man:

Looks sweet dude. Where did you get the mod?I've just finished a full rebuild on a Creature and like the look of that.I also want the tail light mod for the upper board at some point, but there doesn't seem to be anyone left selling them.Cheers.

I have never seen one of these in person, so I'm not sure how it compares, but I put a cold cathode UV light above the panel which lights it up very nicely due to the fluorescent paint.

#6 11 years ago

Hi Alveolus. Do you have a photo? It's sounds interesting.

Cheers for the headsup on the other mod Shapeshifter. I found the post and have joined the queue.

#7 11 years ago

There's an Australian site that sells them, but I sure as hell can't remember which site that is.

If I recall correctly, the mod costs $200+. I bought mine from a friend who had picked it up for $50 as part of a package deal he recently made. He sold it to me for what he had paid. I really lucked out!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Muppet_Man:

Hi Alveolus. Do you have a photo? It's sounds interesting.
Cheers for the headsup on the other mod Shapeshifter. I found the post and have joined the queue.

I can try to take a picture of it tonight. Could save you $190 if yOU like it.

#9 11 years ago

£35.00 ($50.00) was a bloody steel. Nice one.

I'll look forward to the photo.

Cheers chap.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

There's an Australian site that sells them, but I sure as hell can't remember which site that is.
If I recall correctly, the mod costs $200+. I bought mine from a friend who had picked it up for $50 as part of a package deal he recently made. He sold it to me for what he had paid. I really lucked out!

You must be friends with Scott

Steve

#11 11 years ago

Hehe. Yes, sir!

He's a great guy, for sure.

#12 11 years ago

'll look forward to the photo.

Sorry I'm tardy Here are the photos. First one shows the effect with all the lights off. Second one is shot in attract mode.

photo1.JPGphoto1.JPG photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

here's a link to this mod on the site, and yes, it's $200
http://mrpinballa2.cart.net.au/details/2901603.html

#14 11 years ago

That is a VERY nice mod indeed. Are you saying this is just a really cheap UV strip light? What size was is you got in there and what did you run it off of?
Cheers chap.

#15 11 years ago

I used a 12" cold cathode UV light. But that was before the proliferation of LED lighting options. Probably an LED strip light would work as well and be an easier install. I just ran wires into the backbox and took 12v from the driver board.

good luck,
Shawn

#16 11 years ago

I realy like the UV look. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a UV LED, I try and find out.

Cheers

#17 11 years ago

hey there Alveolus would you mind posting more pictures of the light tube, how you connected it and close ups of the board connection. I just got a creech and look forward to modding it. I know little about the circuit boards though. thanks in advance

#18 11 years ago

hey there Alveolus would you mind posting more pictures of the light tube, how you connected it and close ups of the board connection. I just got a creech and look forward to modding it. I know little about the circuit boards though. thanks in advance

OK. But I'm not proud of this amateurish work. It was something I did when I was just getting started. It worked fine so I never bothered to redo it with a more elegant approach.

Here are the CC lights: http://www.xoxide.com/cathode.html

Here is a shot from underneath.

016.JPG016.JPG

#19 11 years ago

duplicate post

#20 11 years ago

And here is the unsavory part. I ran the wires up into the head and alligator clipped them onto the 18v test point and the ground braid.

......told you it was lame.

020.JPG020.JPG

#21 11 years ago

if it works it works....you can make it permanent any time. Gotta decide if you like it first right? I like the idea....the uv light is 12v right? won't the 18v burn it up?

#22 11 years ago

Yes, 12v. But IIRC, the 18v test point was actually only about 14-16v. I have been running it for a couple years with no problems. Again, I would look at LED strip options before going with the cold cathode bulbs if I were doing it again.

#25 11 years ago

It's worth trying. I would make sure you try an UV strip. The decal colors are UV reactive which makes them really pop with the uv light. For that matter, you could probably place 2 different strips above the decal. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Good luck!

2 weeks later
#26 11 years ago

I got a 9 led strip and did the same thing..I'll post pictures later

#27 11 years ago

Here are pictures of the 9 LED strip that I crudely installed in my CFTBL. I think it looks pretty good and adds a lot of light to the dark back of the playfield.

Creature_UV1.pngCreature_UV1.png creature_UV2.pngcreature_UV2.png Creature_UV3.pngCreature_UV3.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/instructions-needed-for-creature-transparent-backboard-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.