Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jfesler
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PRESSS.jpg
017.JPG
T-Nut-Tool.jpg
T-Nut-Tool1.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi all ,I am installing a new PF in my MM anyone knows what's the best way too install tee nuts with out using a hammer ?

Thanks for any help

#2 4 years ago

Don't they have hammers in Canada?

#3 4 years ago

Very funny ,with out using a hammer

#4 4 years ago

To install t-nuts without a hammer use a smooth block of wood with a hole drilled though it larger than the intended bolt size. With a bolt of longer length and washer, thread it though the block and the playfield, turning the nut on by hand until it just contacts the base. Turn the installation bolt slowly and with consistent force to draw the nut into the playfield. When fully seated, unthread the installation bolt.

#5 4 years ago

Tees what? Tees nuts!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Very funny ,with out using a hammer

The pros (Stern) use hammers. What's your problem with hammers?

#7 4 years ago

From the back thread the correct size bolt into the t-nut. Place it into the hole and press down. If it doesn't go down far enough hit the bolt with a hammer.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I tryed hammer but didnt go in with out giving it a very hard blow ,it's very hard plywood

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

When people take the time and money to get a playfield clear coated, sometimes they don't feel comfortable taking a hammer to the front of their brand new beautiful glossy playfield. I don't blame him for finding an alternative. Not to mention, the guys working on Stern playfields are not working on their own machines. Also, they have a somewhat endless supply of fresh playfields, unlike a home user working on a NOS MM playfield for example.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

From the back thread the correct size bolt into the t-nut. Place it into the hole and press down. If it doesn't go down far enough hit the bolt with a hammer.

That might be better

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

When people take the time and money to get a playfield clear coated, sometimes they don't feel comfortable taking a hammer to the front of their brand new beautiful glossy playfield. I don't blame him for finding an alternative. Not to mention, the guys working on Stern playfields are not working on their own machines. Also, they have a somewhat endless supply of fresh playfields unlike a home user working on a NOS MM playfield for example.

Thanks buddy u nailed it and too add stern doesn't have 3 or 4 coats of clear on there PF too worry about

#12 4 years ago

this must an early April fools joke!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

When people take the time and money to get a playfield clear coated, sometimes they don't feel comfortable taking a hammer to the front of their brand new beautiful glossy playfield. I don't blame him for finding an alternative. Not to mention, the guys working on Stern playfields are not working on their own machines. Also, they have a somewhat endless supply of fresh playfields, unlike a home user working on a NOS MM playfield for example.

Tee nuts on the front are few, but I suppose I can see being some kind of careful with those. But on the back? Put the PF on a nice clean towel so the face is fine and hammer away.

#14 4 years ago

I always do the bottom of a playfield swap first. For T-nuts, I lay the playfield face down on a solid surface with a towel on it. I then use an appropriate sized socket with an extension on it so I get good level impact.... they hammer in. Never had an issue.

#15 4 years ago

At the JJP factory, I saw a tech demonstrating how they did t-nutting.

They put the playfield on a rubbery mat on top of a sturdy table and used a rubber mallet with what looked like roughly a 1" diameter head.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't use a standard claw hammer for t-nutting.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Tee nuts on the front are few, but I suppose I can see being some kind of careful with those. But on the back? Put the PF on a nice clean towel so the face is fine and hammer away.

Yeah, the back of the playfield wouldn't bother me either. It's the front I would be concerned about. I just removed about 8 (I think) from the front of my BSD for a clear coat. I know to be very careful re-installing them because it can crack the clear around it.

#17 4 years ago

Exactly! 95% of the t-nuts are on the back. Just put some towels down on a solid table to lay the playfield down on. Then use a nut driver with a 10mm socket on it. Put the socket on the t-nut and give the handle of the nut driver a couple whacks with a hammer. If they don't seat fully 100%, they will when you attach whatever goes there from the front side. I did this with a Mirco AFM playfield and didn't think twice about it.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Exactly! 95% of the t-nuts are on the back. Just put some towels down on a solid table to lay the playfield down on. Then use a nut driver with a 10mm socket on it. Put the socket on the t-nut and give the handle of the nut driver a couple whacks with a hammer. If they don't seat fully 100%, they will when you attach whatever goes there from the front side. I did this with a Mirco AFM playfield and didn't think twice about it.

Yes, but not 100% hence the question of the OP. I'm pretty sure he is concerned with the front of the playfield.

#19 4 years ago

Thanks buddy u nailed it and too add stern doesn't have 3 or 4 coats of clear on there PF too worry about

No problem, I totally understand the concern!

#20 4 years ago

Hi all ,I am installing a new PF in my MM anyone knows what's the best way too install tee nuts with out using a hammer ?
Thanks for any help

if you dont have a hammer, a rock might do in a pinch

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Thanks guys for all the help will try many ways

#23 4 years ago

Now there is a good solution! Speaking of pros ^, there you go. I was just looking for this in another post McCune. Do you happen to have a parts list for that thing? I know you made it yourself out of stuff from Lowes or Home Depot.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

I know you made it yourself out of stuff from Lowes or Home Depot.

I made it out of parts laying around my alternator/starter shop . I need to make some of these and sell them . They are the shit ,no matter who tells you different.

The bearing is the most expensive part but I have access to them where most people don't . I will check into building some after the new year.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Stern don't use Mirco playfields. I would not use a hammer on those as the clear will crack. DOne it once firsthand and will NEVER do it again.

#26 4 years ago

NO hammer ... I use a large washer with some soft felt under it and screw it in the wood !
If you have a clearcoated playfield the chances are very good to crack the coat with a hammer !

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I made it out of parts laying around my alternator/starter shop . I need to make some of these and sell them . They are the shit ,no matter who tells you different.
The bearing is the most expensive part but I have access to them where most people don't . I will check into building some after the new year.

Put me on the pre-order list!

#28 4 years ago

Yes I made that same idea just smaller works very well

Quoted from TomDK:NO hammer ... I use a large washer with some soft felt under it and screw it in the wood !
If you have a clearcoated playfield the chances are very good to crack the coat with a hammer !

Yes I know it would for sure

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

To install t-nuts without a hammer use a smooth block of wood with a hole drilled though it larger than the intended bolt size. With a bolt of longer length and washer, thread it though the block and the playfield, turning the nut on by hand until it just contacts the base. Turn the installation bolt slowly and with consistent force to draw the nut into the playfield. When fully seated, unthread the installation bolt.

That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Put me on the pre-order list!

Me too.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Stern don't use Mirco playfields. I would not use a hammer on those as the clear will crack. DOne it once firsthand and will NEVER do it again.

^this. Use the press method to be safe.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

NO hammer ... I use a large washer with some soft felt under it and screw it in the wood !

Hey guys ,this is what I used and I have too say it works very very well ,on the slow side but with no marks ,cracks or anything ,very good idea

#33 4 years ago

Thanks for any help

Use a T-Nut press.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Use a T-Nut press.

I couldn't find one

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Your the best :-)thanks again

#36 4 years ago

Your the best :-)thanks again

Anytime my man!

#37 4 years ago

You can use 2 to 4 large C-clamps and wood and or metal pieces to do the job also. But either way should press them in.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

You can use 2 to 4 large C-clamps and wood and or metal pieces to do the job also. But either way should press them in.

Thanks so much

#39 4 years ago

Used a DIY version of McCune's tool, can't take credit for it...idea comes from Tekman here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t-nut-install-driver
About $10 worth of parts from the local hardware aisle and some carefully placed epoxy.
Bottom Side of Roller: Neoprene Washer (or felt), Regular Washer, Bushing (or large hole washer).
*Large Patio Door Roller (Key part of the Tool!)
Top Side of Roller: Washer, Smaller Washer (optional), then a bolt - get both types (6-32, 8-32).
Just be careful not to drip any epoxy into the bearings and it will work like butter.
T-Nut-Tool1.jpg
T-Nut-Tool.jpg

#40 4 years ago

You really don't have to beat the washer thing to death. Here's what I used until Jim sent me one of his tools. I do wish Jim's tool was a bit smaller. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Three washers, two with felt installed. This arrangement will not cause the larger one to spin on the surface of the playfield.

FWIW I used nothing but a hammer for years. I quit when someone here, doing the same thing, ended up with a spider crack when the T-nut was next to an insert.

For those still using a hammer, wise men learn from other's mistakes. Fools from their own.

017.JPG
#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I do wish Jim's tool was a bit smaller

I can make it smaller , what is the ideal size?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

...is exactly what I said to my wife last night.

#43 4 years ago

Something similar to the one I showed, Jim. That would also make it weigh less and handier to use. Yours works great. It's just a bit bulky.

Quoted from McCune:

#44 4 years ago

YOU NEED A GOOD PRESS

PRESSS.jpg
#45 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Something similar to the one I showed, Jim. That would also make it weigh less and handier to use. Yours works great. It's just a bit bulky.

McCune and Bryan collaborating on a pinball tool? Count me in for two!

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

For those still using a hammer, wise men learn from other's mistakes. Fools from their own.

OP, look no further for validation of your thread than that statement right there from Bryan. It may have started off slow but you now have the most comprehensive t-nut install thread on pinside.

#46 4 years ago

How do I thumbs up an entire thread?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 229.99
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 16.00
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clearwater, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside