(Topic ID: 120564)

installing new ground braid

By aveamike

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I'm going to install a ground braid on on my BSD.
    all advice is welcome.

i don't think i ordered enough, i just have 10 feet.
    can it be purchased in a home depot?

i have the air compressor and the right staple gun.

thanks,

mike

#2 9 years ago

I recently did it when we completely rebuilt our Medieval Madness. I have not searched for any techniques per se, but if you have pictures of the original layout of the braid, try to use that as a guideline. If you don't try to search pics from other people, and if you can't find that, use pics from a similar pin brand-wise (Williams).

I started on top of the cabinet where the head rests on, and worked my way down. Two braids on each side I think. Flip the end of the braid a little under itself, then staple that end to begin with. For corners, just flip it around over itself, so the inside of the corner is square, and the outside has two nice 45 degree angles, then staple that corner to the wood.

Use enough staples to make it look nice, but too much might make it look awful I guess. I think I did a staple every 2-3 inches.

#3 9 years ago

Check the "parts list" for your game at www.ipdb.org for part number 20-9223 (1/4" ground braid). You'll need a total of 350 inches for a complete replacement: 100 inches for the back box, 70 inches for the secondary wiring harness (although few people replace that), and 180 inches for the cabinet. As for stapling, a staple every foot is fine, with a few extras at places where the braid changes direction; a staple every 2-3 inches is *way* overkill.

It is not available at home improvement stores; you *might* find some at a well-stocked electronics supply house *if* you have any that are local to you.

#4 9 years ago

thank jadziedzic,

if i run out at a certain point, can i over lap two pieces? or does it have to be one?

thanks,

m.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from aveamike:

thank jadziedzic,
    if i run out at a certain point, can i over lap two pieces? or does it have to be one?
    thanks,
    m.

Sure. You can connect pieces. Put a screw through the connection or better yet, solder as well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-new-ground-braid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.