(Topic ID: 118572)

Installing new CPU board in new Stern machine, and some questions.

By Jeff_PHX_AZ

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DocRotCod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Had sound issues, volume would not go up. So called stern, they said bad CPU. So received CPU board and was wondering how this process in putting in new board. Do I need to put in code for game on this new board? Anything else that would make the process easier I should be aware of? Game is Metallica Premium, like 7 months old, and have had to replace magnet board, which was the updated board, well it failed and fried the fuse, now new CPU board. Thankfully all is under warranty, but I'am working on this myself and first time dealing with installing boards. I am checking here with you pro's to help guide me as Iam jumping in head first on this.
Thanks in advance

Game has stock speakers, except for the Polk sub, which is connected to the cabinet sub via alligator clips on the lug terminals, not sure if this would cause the issues with volume or not, but thought I would throw it out there to find out.

#2 9 years ago

As a matter of practice, take lots of pics of the wiring and plugs all around the board. Pull on the connectors and not the wires when disconnecting. Remove any hot glue used on the connectors prior to removing. Download latest update and update the game after installing new board. Make sure game is unplugged while doing all this. Make sure ribbon cables when reconnecting are not off by 1 pin or 1 row.

It's not that tough of a job. Lots of pics will really save you any trouble. I like to get different angles on the pics that also show what wires tuck underneath other wires, etc. so that it is exactly the same going back together.

1 week later
#3 9 years ago

Thanks, Have not had time yet to tackle this.
Where you said to remove hot glue, do I re-hot glue that area afterward?
So update code after installing? What about battery?
Gotta admit, I'am really intimidated by this. I believe I can do it though. Just need some inspiring, confidence to take it on. Thanks

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Thanks, Have not had time yet to tackle this.
Where you said to remove hot glue, do I re-hot glue that area afterward?
So update code after installing? What about battery?
Gotta admit, I'am really intimidated by this. I believe I can do it though. Just need some inspiring, confidence to take it on. Thanks

I have never re-glued. I think it's more for shipping purposes. The battery should already be in the replacement board. If not it's an easy swap. Once you get new board in, double-check your connections and compare with your pictures. Then check it again.

After you bring game up, you will want to watch for the firmware version. If it isn't the latest, download from Stern and update. Then after all of that, you can change the game settings like free play, etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-new-cpu-board-in-new-stern-machine-and-some-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.