2584660D-B07D-472E-8E48-AABA933FDFDF (resized).jpeg
23AB4080-FCFC-4BD7-9281-D50CFB077317 (resized).jpeg
9976AD18-BB4B-4A47-AE07-1732B53E2CD3 (resized).jpeg
40F00762-8960-4A9F-80E0-1DD1DCBEE0C0 (resized).jpeg
8B3BC85E-92EA-4A1B-9D83-E5329B7E120A (resized).jpeg
4AAE77A8-7C73-41B0-8AA6-BAB53445AB45 (resized).jpeg
273CD94D-3AC6-4AF7-8EC3-8D2DE542560F (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I’m finally getting around to installing my shaker and knocker kits on Houdini. Installed the shaker kit and am finishing up with the knocker kit now. I’m wondering about the correct connection ports for the brown and black wire that on its other end, connects to the VIN 2 port. I’ve included some pictures, but the install guide shows two additional wires in the green connector housing that make me wonder which of the 5 slots to insert my brown and black wire ends?

In my unit, unlike the install reference picture, there are 5 open slots and no existing wires already connected. There are also no color references in the slots but the install guide says to connect black to black and brown to brown.

I do not have the optional power supply kit.

Further, there is a plastic shield cover on top of that whole power unit, so I’m guessing I have to remove it with the bolt but, as it appears to be in the way of the green wire housing screws.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I do also wonder if I should consider picking up the optional power kit with these accessories now being installed?

Thanks!4AAE77A8-7C73-41B0-8AA6-BAB53445AB45 (resized).jpeg

40F00762-8960-4A9F-80E0-1DD1DCBEE0C0 (resized).jpeg8B3BC85E-92EA-4A1B-9D83-E5329B7E120A (resized).jpeg273CD94D-3AC6-4AF7-8EC3-8D2DE542560F (resized).jpeg9976AD18-BB4B-4A47-AE07-1732B53E2CD3 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

I took another closer pic and see the left two slots are positive and the right two slots are negative, so I’m guessing I can just pic either positive slot for the brown wire and either negative slot for the black wire?

23AB4080-FCFC-4BD7-9281-D50CFB077317 (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago

As things would go, it appears my Houdini perhaps being a later production has the power supply kit already installed. As such, does anyone know how to insert more wires into these fixtures? Does the plastic piece come off and then you just insert your wire into the corresponding wall but?

2584660D-B07D-472E-8E48-AABA933FDFDF (resized).jpeg8C67C5A4-B2AD-41B3-8060-BA2A55605D92 (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

Figured out that you just push the wires firmly into the wall nut units. I did for both the brown and black wires into the matching wall nuts. I have now turned the Houdini on but am finding that when I try to test the knocker in test mode by hitting the start button, nothing happens. I have changed the knocker setting to mechanical and turned the power on to 15.

Any idea why it might not be firing. I’m pretty sure all of my connections are firmly seated. I also installed the included fuse.

The testing on this machine is strange. I use test mode for the newly installed shaker also, and it just gives a small jolt fire of the shaker, not a full long shake. The shaker does seem to be firing fully when I hit my pop bumbers though.

#5 1 year ago

I had trouble with the wall nuts not making good connections. I ended up chopping the wall nuts off and using common wire nuts instead. Works perfectly now. The wire nuts are the blue ones in my picture. It's much easier to do the work around the power supply area if you take the playfield out of the machine like I did (it's how I took the picture of the power supply). Be careful how you handle or set down the playfield so you don't damage the trunk assembly.

Since you have the Mean Well screw terminal power supply, then you already have the upgraded power supply.
Houdini 48v power supply (resized).JPG

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for your reply. I did worry about the wall nut and then wire not having enough wire exposed for them upon insertion. It's quite hard to tell, so sounds like they can be temperamental. I'll go the wire nut route if I don't get it fixed the next time I tinker with it. I seem to have more wires than you -- I had 4 or 5 black going into the wall nut and 3 or 4 existing brown going into the wall nut. I suppose they've added things at different points.

#7 1 year ago

The Houdini I worked on was an early production machine. We had to buy the updated power supply kit as well as the end of stroke switch kit for the flippers.

1 month later
#9 1 year ago

I'm doing a knocker kit install on my Houdini, which has the new power supply. I hooked up the 4 pin connector to the DRV-5 on the Add on board, but confused if I need to worry about doing this 48V power supply wire to VIN 2? Or, is this not necessary being that I have the newer hard drive/power supply (not the original one that im told was brown box in color)? Any help is appreciated!

1 week later
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMullen78:

I'm doing a knocker kit install on my Houdini, which has the new power supply. I hooked up the 4 pin connector to the DRV-5 on the Add on board, but confused if I need to worry about doing this 48V power supply wire to VIN 2? Or, is this not necessary being that I have the newer hard drive/power supply (not the original one that im told was brown box in color)? Any help is appreciated!

I have just installed the knocker my self . My build has the new PS , I wired exactly as the instructions, AP provided me with the diagram for the 48V hookup. I have no power at the knocker in test mode. I will be calling support on Monday to see if there is a solution.

#11 1 year ago

Here is the 48v hookup for the new power supply (big metal box). Middle connector: bottom right = black wire, middle bottom = brown wire.
Your wire kit should already have molex pins crimped on.

Houdini - Knocker 48v on new power supply (resized).jpg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside