(Topic ID: 1809)

Installing custom messages on Stern DMD

By Bill2626

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

I have tried repeatedly to install a custom message on my Family Guy and Spiderman DMD without success. Has anyone experienced this problem?? I have read the instructions over and over and still no success. I guess I am not intelligent enough to understand the simple instructions! Any help would be welcomed.

#2 13 years ago

Go into Standard adj and set "Custom Message" to "Change." Exit and go to custom message. Use the flippers to scroll thru the letters, use the start button to select a letter. < will allow you to correct mistakes. When you are done, hit the right most button inside the coin door. You will have to play with the spacing of the letters. That is the PITA part.

#3 13 years ago

Yeah .. it's a PIA sometimes but I can't stand those anti-drug default messages .. changed them all. My Street Fighter II now says "For a Good Time Call Chun-Li at 555-1212"

#4 13 years ago

I called the number and it wasn't chun li.

jerk.

#5 13 years ago

I tried again for about an hour yesterday, no results. The thing that puzzles me the most is even if I turn the default message off I never see a change on the DMD. If I turn on the default message I see no change on the DMD. What is the default message??? and when is it displayed, is it after the "STERN" text intro? After the STERN intro my machine displays a Spiderman graphic and then displays a message that says "for more info go to www.stern.com." etc. From this point the display starts going through all of the high scores etc. No matter what I do there is never any change. I have followed the instructions carefully chosen "change" put in a custom message, saved it-yet the message never displays. Is anyone else having this problem??

Hmmm I didn't have any problem reaching Chun-Li jonnyo, check the area code, she is on her way over...

#6 13 years ago

Usually the default message is something like "Winners Don't Do Drugs" or along that genre. Are you hitting the enter (sometimes the start game) button when done ?

#7 13 years ago

Yea, I figured, I have no messages like that Brokedad, and no matter what I do, that is "turning on the default message" one never appears. Its driving me nuts!

#8 13 years ago

There is no "enter" button, it is a select button, it is actually the only button that will do anything at that point in the process. To answer your question yes I did try to use the start button, it did nothing.

#9 13 years ago

Sorry .. I don't own any Stern systems so I'm not familiar with changing things on them

#10 13 years ago

Thanks for trying, I need some input from one of the guys with a Stern machine. Hopefully someone while chime in Brokedad.

#11 13 years ago

The above procedure is what I just used on my LOTR. Not sure why yours isn't working.

11 years later
    #12 2 years ago

Resurrecting this OLD thread. Just tried installing a custom message in my METLE & seems like I did it right and it was saved but I never see it displayed ?? What gives? Only 15 characters in my message including the spaces.

#13 2 years ago

On my machine (AC/DC) the custom message comes up during attract mode after the high scores and other typical message that you get when you are not playing.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

On my machine (AC/DC) the custom message comes up during attract mode after the high scores and other typical message that you get when you are not playing.

Yeah I have let it go through several cycles again & again and never see it. Is the message its supposed to replace the "Learn more about Stern pinball at etc......." message?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-custom-messages-on-stern-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.