Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E3B58005-E70C-4CB7-83A8-E088A4FD4CE9 (resized).jpeg
    44D2E052-24FF-4848-80EC-433781A96DC1 (resized).jpeg
    20210729_105118 (resized).jpg
    20210728_212249 (resized).jpg
    20180721_225000 (resized).jpg
    20210728_213057 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pencilneck.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I've slap-assed together a short video showing how I install cabinet decals:

As noted in the video, not shown is all the prep work of getting the surfaces SMOOOOOOOOTH! This can't be understated... if you can feel something, you will see something.

Some talking points not in the video:

Along with the flipping method to see how things are lined up, I'll also rub my finger across the material along an edge to help see how things are lined up. I work on getting the bottom edge lined up first and then make sure the front and back edges are squared up.

It can be really helpful to have a second person help out... you kind of need 3 hands to do this.... using 1 hand to hold the material up just prior to applying it will most likely cause the material to kink or fold over itself. Handling the material from 2 points will really help prevent this.

The Big Squeegee tool I'm using is the "Big Squeegee 20" Yard Sign Tool" and at time of this posting is $40 from HH Sign Supply. If you have a stiff and wide chunk of something, have the edge rounded over a bit and glue some felt around the edge and you've more or less got it. I would dare say one could get by with a stiff pieced of cardboard folded over and felt taped on. It is a simple tool. I purchased that one 15 years ago and for other vinyl decal work I've done, it has been a solid investment.

Trimming things up is super simple, I use a very sharp pocket knife and just follow along the edge where I need to cut. The knife isn't sharp enough to bite into the wood like a razor blade can, but it has a good edge on it.

I tuck my edged under the bottom and staple into place:
    20210728_212249 (resized).jpg20210728_212249 (resized).jpg

Get these type of metal leg protectors. The first pin I did decals on, I didn't and it screwed up the decals there after a few months:
    20210728_213057 (resized).jpg20210728_213057 (resized).jpg

To protect the corners from peeling due to "busy fingers" , I use 5/8" clear plastic corner guards. They slip right into place with the leg protector installed:
    20180721_225000 (resized).jpg20180721_225000 (resized).jpg

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, I'll help out as best I can. I would encourage others to share any tips/tricks they have for cabinet decals as well here.

#5 2 years ago

I wrap around the bottom edge to prevent peeling or lifting because that is what can with an unsecured edge. As long as your eye line is +20" or higher, you see a clean line along the bottom edge. If you are a head in a jar like in Futurama... well, sorry about that.

I like to try new things and that is how I did the Funhouse. Here is the same concept that I think is a cleaner result on my Whirlwind:
    20210729_105118 (resized).jpg20210729_105118 (resized).jpg

Should note, both Funhouse and Whirlwind, I had to replace the bottom baseboards due to damage.

#9 2 years ago

Each to their own. I will continue to wrap around the bottom on future projects I do. Transporting them (rare event) hasn't been an issue, I use cardboard along the bottom edges and stretch wrap to keep everything in place. I do this on pins that painted as well.

My goal of this post was to share what works for me when applying the decal outright, not so much finishing details. I've gotten a decent amount of feedback over the years from others who are "afraid" to do decals, worried they will mess things up. With a good decal kit running around $250 now, I understand that fear. So hopefully seeing the basics of one method that works will help some one else.

I would encourage others to share videos showing what techniques worked for them.

Regards.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pencilneck.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-cabinet-decals?tu=pencilneck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.