Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by Skatewake
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9599 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9598 (resized).jpeg
    3099BD9C-7457-4B8E-9A79-A3405A1C0E03.jpeg
    CE3A042E-6642-451D-8CC8-26D622B34D3E.jpeg
    ABD18D15-4351-4BE5-8C81-40EA44B26515.jpeg
    9CFE9C00-91FD-4BEC-AA22-970B178FF65E.jpeg
    04D56FE0-FDBA-4AAE-921A-880D589AF7BF.png
    B6CBE6FF-9234-4847-87D8-47583547754C (resized).png
    2187F37E-6C66-4612-8592-AECC5B8EF36F (resized).jpeg
    EA1A7A8D-8609-473F-8AC7-FCA8F81F85BB (resized).jpeg
    D0E432CC-ABEF-4FDD-8F8C-1E7689387C1D (resized).jpeg
    96CE8D2B-43D2-4FEF-9BB4-49ADB9682A86 (resized).jpeg
    D9480CC6-6C36-46C1-AA70-4B66EFD588F3 (resized).jpeg
    815FD49E-4878-40E4-BE02-F0A9B7C5BFD6 (resized).jpeg
    712C6B3E-EC32-426D-8B80-68DAE5E73F4C (resized).jpeg
    C0DD95E9-1E0B-4B85-B76C-876B39190669 (resized).jpeg
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Today I am going to show everyone how to install & wire in a bill acceptor in Williams WPC era machines that never originally came with a bill acceptor wiring harness installed or bill acceptor coin door. Please use common sense and follow good safety procedures. Be sure the machine is unplugged from the wall outlet before attempting this procedure.

Tools needed:
    7/16" wrench to remove/install coin door assembly
    Common slip joint pliers (for the squeeze taps)
    Molex crimping tool for .093" terminals
    Common side cutters
    Wire strippers
    Hacksaw

Parts needed:
    1 Complete WPC coin/bill acceptor style coin door (with wiring harness)
    1 Mars bill acceptor AC power & credit relay output harness (Mars # 01-12-139 or Happ Controls # 42-7057-00 or Pyramid Acceptors # 05AA0012)
    2 Red squeeze taps (Radio Shack # 64-3053 or Home Depot SKU # 408604 or Gardner Bender # 15-2218)
    1 Molex 3 position housing # 03-09-2032
    2 Molex .093" male pin # 02-09-2118
    10 Wire ties, 4"
    1 Memory Protect Switch Bracket # 01-11271 (Marco Specialties)

Mars_harness.JPGMars_harness.JPG

#2 10 years ago

The first step is getting 120 volts AC power to the bill acceptor and having a way to connect the bill acceptor's credit relay output to the pinball machine's coin switch inputs. My example machine is a Williams "Funhouse" which never had a bill acceptor door nor did it have a harness for a bill acceptor.

Unplug the machine's AC power cord from the wall before you start work on this installation for safety.

Get your Mars # 01-12-139 Power/credit relay harness and undo the twist tie it was wrapped with. Now lay out the black power cord section of it. Carefully lay the black AC power cord section along the machine's existing wiring harness from the coin door and run along by the plumb bob tilt and down along the rear of the cashbox wood over to the power transformer area. The AC power plug on the end of the Mars power cord will be chopped off and discarded. Now to locate the wires in the machine that you will be obtaining your AC power for the bill acceptor from. Over at the power transformer are a black wire and a white wire that come from the power box. These two wires are your source of SWITCH controlled 120 volts AC power. Chop off the AC power plug that came on the end of the Mars wiring harness and slit the wires apart about 4 inches. The (usually) "ribbed" wire coming from the Mars connector pin 6 is the AC power neutral wire and will tap into the white wire going to the transformer. The other black wire ("unribbed" ) coming from the Mars connector pin 4 is the AC power hot wire and will tap into the black wire going to the power transformer. Use the red squeeze taps and your slip joint pliers to make the connection. See my pictures. Wiring this way will have the bill acceptor to turn on and off with the machine's power switch.

DBA power.JPGDBA power.JPG
    #3 10 years ago

The AC Power portion is now finished and we can now concentrate on wiring up the coin switch circuit to the bill acceptor's connector. Your WPC coin/bill door should already have a 3 position Molex .093" connector coming off it near the main coin door connector that normally plugs into the coin door interface board. This 3 position Molex connector is factory prewired to the "center coin switch" input going to the cpu board. You will need to crimp some male Molex .093" terminals (Molex # 02-09-2118) onto the yellow credit relay wires coming from the Mars harness. Then these will be installed into Molex housing # 03-09-2032. The yellow wire (credit relay common) from Mars connector pin 8 will go to the 3 position Molex housing at pin 3 (machine wire color there is black in Funhouse). The other yellow wire (credit relay normally open) from the Mars connector pin 7 will go to the 3 position Molex housing at pin 1 (machine wire color there is orange-red in Funhouse).

Now plug the male and female 3 position connectors together. Finish routing the Mars connector end of the cable to where the bill acceptor will mount on the coin door and carefully wire tie the harness up nice and neat.

DBA_center.JPGDBA_center.JPG DBA_Mars_plugs.JPGDBA_Mars_plugs.JPG

#4 10 years ago

The next step is relocating the Memory Protect switch. Your old "twin coin acceptor only" door had the Memory Protect switch mounted in the upper left hand corner of the coin door frame. It must be moved to the lower left hand corner to allow the bill acceptors to fit and be able to close the door. To move the switch, simply disconnect the two wires attached to the switch after carefully noting which wire colors went to which terminals. Now you can carefully squeeze the mounting tabs of the switch and pull it out towards you. Unplug the old coin door and undo it's wiring harness from all the cable clamps. Get your 7/16" wrench and remove the 4 nuts and bolts holding the coin door to the machine. Remove the door and trade it out with the new WPC coin/bill door. Reinstall the bolts and nuts to attach the new door. You might need someone to hold the door for you while doing this.

Once the new door is securely mounted, close and lock it (playfield up so you can work inside the machine). Now you need to get the new Memory Protect switch mounting bracket # 01-11271) and temporarily install the Memory Protect switch into the bracket. This is so you can properly locate it in the cabinet and so the switch gets properly activated when the door is closed. Use a pencil to mark the mounting hole locations in the bracket. Now get a couple of small screws (#6 by 3/8" long should do fine) and attach the bracket at the marked location. Now you can reconnect the wires to the switch.

#5 10 years ago

The final step will be to hacksaw off part of the lockdown bar latch handle. Because the new coin/bill door has both coin acceptors scooted over farther to the right, you will find it difficult to close and lock the coin door. The right hand coin acceptor entry trough hits the lockdown bar handle. Hacksaw off about 3/8" of the bottom of the lockdown bar latch handle as shown in the circled area of the picture. Now you can plug the machine's power cord back in.

DBA_hacksaw.JPGDBA_hacksaw.JPG

#6 10 years ago

The question now is what make/model of bill acceptor to use? The top cutout in the door is intended for "stackerless" style bill acceptors such as Mars VFM stackerless. Note that the VFM series will need to have an "enable jumper plug" installed on the bill acceptor in order to work. The lower cutout in the door is intended for "stackered" style bill acceptors such as Mars AE-2411-U3. They must be the 115 volts AC versions.

Please note that if you use a "used" coin/bill door, it might be missing the Williams/Entropy # 27-4921 Step Bracket which attaches to the door with 6-32 screws and activates the Memory Protect switch. Some machines like Demo Man use a dual Memory Protect/High Power Interlock bracket # 01-12676 (a.k.a. # A-18249-1 and A-18249-3) in place of 01-11271 bracket.

Your bill acceptor should be set to "1 pulse per dollar" and "always enabled". The bill acceptor pricing in the pinball software is "center coin chute".

#7 10 years ago

A lot of useful info thank you for taking the time to post it.

#8 10 years ago

I've been meaning to post this information for quite a while now, but never had the time to do it. So last week I went on location to the Funhouse I converted and photographed what I needed for posting here.

By the way, the Mars bill acceptor wiring harness can also be found dirt cheap on ebay.

#9 10 years ago

If you have a Mars "VFM" stackerless bill acceptor, it requires this "enable" jumper in order to work in an amusement machine instead of a vending machine.

VFM_jump.JPGVFM_jump.JPG

2 months later
    #10 10 years ago

One of these days I will have to get around to doing this on a Williams System 11 machine.

#11 10 years ago

For older machines like the late 1970's and early 1980's, you can buy a side mount external bill acceptor enclosure and bolt it to the side of the cabinet. Here is one example mounting box from Happ Controls:

http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_products/coin_doors/40-0448-00

Typically you bolt it to the right side of the cabinet (no tilt mechanisms to get in the way like on the left side of the machine). Then you drill about a 1" diameter hole in the cabinet to pass the bill acceptor wiring harness through and a couple of 1/4" diameter holes for mounting bolts to attach the box to the machine.

You can pick up a source of machine power switch controlled 120 volt AC power for the bill acceptor at the input of the power transformer in the pinball machine. The Mars 9 pin 120 VAC harness has two credit relay output wires (typically yellow & orange wires or two yellow wires) which you can connect across either the center coin chute switch (which was typically for the dollar coin) or to either of the quarter coin switches. If using the center coin switch, set the bill acceptor to 1 pulse per dollar. If using the quarter coin switch, set the bill acceptor to 4 pulses per dollar.

2 months later
    #12 10 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread (with pictures)! It really helped with my first DBV install on my TAF.

cheers Ken

If I see you at a show first beverage is on me!

#13 10 years ago

This needs to be "sticky"...no??

faz

6 months later
    #14 9 years ago

I'm just starting to do an installation of a Mars bill acceptor on an old Data East "Simpsons" pinball. I still have to take pictures and write down the parts needed. The test mode pushbutton switch assembly and the memory protect switches have to be relocated so that a bill acceptor can be fitted. Data East machines used Coin Controls brand coin doors whereas Williams used Entropy brand. I'm debating on whether to start a new thread or just attach it to this one.

#15 9 years ago

Make sure that on any DE or Sys11 machine, you trip a relay for the coin-up from the bill acceptor, and set it to emit 4 pulses per dollar (to emulate 4 quarters).

Exception : games that were equipped three slot coin doors, and a center-slot Susan B Anthony coin chute (I've only ever seen a BK2K set up like this).

The coin switches on these games [i]are part of the switch matrix[/i] and you can't simply short the wires together ... the switch matrix diode [i]must[/i] be taken into account.

WPC, on the other hand, uses direct input switches on the coin door (and switch line two, "Center", is usually pre-programmed as a single pulse/dollar input)

#16 9 years ago

I have taken into account the diode. I will be installing a 1N4001 diode in series with the White-Green wire on The Simpsons. The white-green wire is for the center coin switch.

#17 9 years ago

looking forward to the continuation and added knowledge of this thread. THANKS for sharing!

1 year later
    #18 8 years ago

Ken, did you ever get one of these installed in to a System 11 game?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from WonkoTSane:

No, sorry I never did a system 11. However, I did do that Data East Simpsons and had to use a stackerless Mars VFM bill acceptor since there was no way to close the coin door. There's no cutout in the playfield to allow a stackered bill acceptor to clear it and still be able to close the coin door.

#20 8 years ago

JP was telling me that he is installing them in all his games including system 11 and older SS games. I will have to go see what he is doing. I really hate the thought of cutting in to an old Bally coin door though.

#21 8 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot about JP. He was here at Welby's buying a bunch of new playfield glass from Welby last week and he got to talking with me. JP told me that he was using ICT brand bill acceptors which he gets in 12 volt DC stackerless versions dirt cheap.

http://www.ict-america.com/

JP says they work very well and fit all his coin doors perfectly.

1 year later
    #22 6 years ago

If a person needs to use a 12 volt DC bill acceptor, you can add the +12 and power ground wires to the existing bill acceptor connector in the machine. Pin 5 is +12v and pin 9 is power ground.

Part numbers for the pins and connector:

Tyco/AMP (TE Connectivity) # 770987-1 Pin, 18-22 AWG (Mouser Electronics # 571-7709871)

If a new connector housing is needed:

Tyco/AMP (TE Connectivity) # 172161-1 Connector housing, 9 Position (Mouser Electronics # 571-1721611)

BA power positions (resized).JPGBA power positions (resized).JPG

BA connector pins (resized).JPGBA connector pins (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #23 6 years ago
    Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I'm doing a Dr. Dude (System 11) right now for a bill acceptor. I don't have a Williams WPC style coin door to use, but I do have a brand new Happ Controls bill acceptor pinball door that I'm using. I've had to order some additional parts in order to relocate the diagnostic test switch assembly, but I have to wait for the order to arrive next week because of the Labor Day holidays. So far the new door install is coming along ok. Pictures and a new thread detailing system 11 bill acceptors installation probably next week.

1 week later
    #24 6 years ago

Thanks for this thread, I'm trying to install one in a System 3. The coin door only has the top slot so I'd probably have to use a VFM style one. I have a GL5-R1, think that would work with the jumper?

#25 6 years ago

If the GL5 has a faceplate with the snout opening in the center, it ought to work.

#26 6 years ago

Haven't seen any other so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

IMG_7534 (resized).JPGIMG_7534 (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

That's not going to work. The snout is in the wrong position. It won't fit a door that only has a bill acceptor cutout in the top of the door.

3 months later
    #28 6 years ago

Thanks for this thread. I'm doing an Addams Family. I have everything else done (but I connected the power inside the box by re-doing the switch connectors instead of clipping in mid-wire) but I don't have the yellow plug for the bill pulses to the interface board. Where is that supposed to be connected on the coin door interface board so I can make one?

Also, I'm doing an MEI upstacker and there may not be enough clearance to close it with the bill magazine attached. I need to get a 200 bill one to see if it will close with it on. It's not even close with a 300 bill magazine.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Also, I'm doing an MEI upstacker and there may not be enough clearance to close it with the bill magazine attached. I need to get a 200 bill one to see if it will close with it on. It's not even close with a 300 bill magazine.

Different insides than other later Williams pins with opto ball troughs. Upstacker might not work. I used a stackerless on TAF and TAFG.

Quoted from PinMonk:

but I don't have the yellow plug for the bill pulses to the interface board. Where is that supposed to be connected on the coin door interface board so I can make one?

Each coin switch has two lugs wired, I took the two wires from the validator and put one on each of the wired switch lugs.

LTG : )

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Different insides than other later Williams pins with opto ball troughs. Upstacker might not work. I used a stackerless on TAF and TAFG.

Do you have a recommendation of models I should look into if the upstacker doesn't work out (I'm thinking it won't)?

Quoted from LTG:

Each coin switch has two lugs wired, I took the two wires from the validator and put one on each of the wired switch lugs.

Confused. How does the machine know it's the "center" slot if I'm using lugs off the other two coin switches (left and right)?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

How does the machine know it's the "center" slot if I'm using lugs off the other two coin switches (left and right)?

It doesn't.

If you want center slot, then find it on the coin door interface board. The board is labeled. Manual has the pin outs too.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have a recommendation of models I should look into if the upstacker doesn't work out (I'm thinking it won't)?

I use the older Mars VMF series. No experience with newer or other models.

2 weeks later
    #32 6 years ago

Any advice on a bill acceptor install in a tales from the crypt?

58D33A49-90BF-4423-8E63-9E46C8D2C52E (resized).jpeg58D33A49-90BF-4423-8E63-9E46C8D2C52E (resized).jpeg

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

Any advice on a bill acceptor install in a tales from the crypt?

Looks like you need a downstacker. I don't know what the clearance is for the bill storage cartridge on that machine, but it's probably the 300 or less one - you need to check before buying though. If there's not enough clearance for the bill storage you'll have to go stackerless.

The Mars/MEI AE24xx series downstackers will give you 1's and 5's. One on Ebay now:

ebay.com link: Mars AE2431D5 Bill Acceptor

The AE26xx series will give you 1, 5, 10, 20. The AE 28xx series is overkill, giving you $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 bills. That said, there's a 28xx series downstacker on ebay now:

ebay.com link: AE2831D10 MEI 1 100 110 Volt Downstacker Bill Acceptor w VFM Bezel 1000 Stac

But you'll have to fit it with a smaller bill storage cart since 1000 bill cart is too much. 24xx series used should be about $100ish or less if you're lucky. 26xx series used about $150-200, 28xx used $250 or more.

You want AE (Amusement) series, NOT VN (vending) series.

#34 6 years ago

Thank you for the info. However neither will work. Check out the layout of the screws. I think I need something without a stacker at all. I tried the mars downstacker but it won’t fit the bezel even if cut off those two lower screw mounts.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

Thank you for the info. However neither will work. Check out the layout of the screws. I think I need something without a stacker at all. I tried the mars downstacker but it won’t fit the bezel even if cut off those two lower screw mounts.

Yeah, that hole is for a VFM-4 (or compatible) model, stackerless.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, that hole is for a VFM-4 (or compatible) model, stackerless.

Yeh, I agree. You need a Mars "VFM" stackerless series such as the VFM1, VFM2, VFM3, etc. Be aware that stackered versions exist, but can only use a stackerless version due to that cutout hole in your door.

#37 6 years ago

If I remove the stacker portion will this work?

C0689277-0268-4B6D-96F1-CB24B8339EB2 (resized).pngC0689277-0268-4B6D-96F1-CB24B8339EB2 (resized).png

4BD16E24-D785-414B-9E89-59B7A9AB91E4 (resized).png4BD16E24-D785-414B-9E89-59B7A9AB91E4 (resized).png

#38 6 years ago

The plug looks correct but it’s 110. Isn’t the power from the Pinball 12v?

#39 6 years ago

Do not *think* so, since it would have to be mounted upside down in the door.

However, maybe Ken knows for sure - I'm not that knowledgeable about about VFM models..

Quoted from Jkush18:

120v was used up until very, very recently.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

If I remove the stacker portion will this work?

My experience has been if it has a stacker, it won't work without it.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

His game, Tales From The Crypt, is 110AC

1 month later
    #42 6 years ago

Any idea what faceplate I need for a Mei 2400 series to fit in a capcom coin door? Also need harness tips. Thank you.

2 weeks later
    #43 6 years ago

Thanks Ken for this guide. I purchased a refurbished MEI AE2411 and attempted to install it in to my TOM but I'm finding the snout will not fit through the lower slot in the door, as the hole is a bit shorter yet wider than the snout on the bill acceptor. Is there a different snout plate that I need to purchase? Am I supposed to cut the door opening larger? Is this coin door designed to fit a different upstacker? I feel like there's something I'm missing here. (photo of the two together to show fit issue, it's just as bad from the inside/right-way but doesn't photograph as clearly)

IMG_20180313_013555 (resized).jpgIMG_20180313_013555 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180313_013724 (resized).jpgIMG_20180313_013724 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180313_013631 (resized).jpgIMG_20180313_013631 (resized).jpg

#44 6 years ago

Contact the folks at Wachtor Electronics. They are an authorized Mars distributor and service center. Tell them you need to buy the "Fitted Bezel" for the Mars AE series of bill acceptors. The Fitted Bezel is more compact and squared off to fit that cutout in your coin door. Just 4 screws hold the bezel on the bill acceptor and it's quick, easy swap out.

http://www.wachtor.com/home.html

1 year later
    #45 4 years ago

With sega goldeneye I was able to put a 2411 on a new coin door from K's and I only had to shave the top corner off of the stacker to get it to close properly. On baywatch I tried the same thing and since the playfield has no cutout I'd basically have to saw off the top 1/2" of the caddy, or cut out a big ugly notch in the PF (not gonna happen).

The bill acceptor seems like it should work without a caddy, but it is kept from working by some kind of funky passive opto thing in the bottom. Would it be possible to basically carve off the bottom "connector" part of the caddy and just make it think it has the stacker connected? Don't want to try it and be wrong but that's pretty much the next move I'm going for.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

The bill acceptor seems like it should work without a caddy,

It won't.

What caddy ( bill cartridge ) you have on there ? 500 ? You need a 300 capacity one. Usually you can find them on Ebay.

#47 4 years ago

It's the smallest one. The playfield goes almost all the way to the acceptor itself.

Why wouldn't it work if that little window piece at the bottom is in place? The stacker seems like a passive part other than that.

#48 4 years ago

On some machines you might need to use a "stackerless" bill acceptor. In those cases, you leave the lid off of the cashbox so that the bills just fall into the cashbox.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Contact the folks at Wachtor Electronics. They are an authorized Mars distributor and service center. Tell them you need to buy the "Fitted Bezel" for the Mars AE series of bill acceptors. The Fitted Bezel is more compact and squared off to fit that cutout in your coin door. Just 4 screws hold the bezel on the bill acceptor and it's quick, easy swap out.
    http://www.wachtor.com/home.html

Do you know the part number for the Fitted Bezel? I can't seem to find it online?

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDAmusements:

Do you know the part number for the Fitted Bezel? I can't seem to find it online?

https://www.dsvendinginc.com/p-2316-d250065014-marsmei-vn2511-bezel-kit.aspx

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-bill-acceptors-on-wpc-era-machines/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.