(Topic ID: 122203)

Installing Bill Acceptor on a coin door w/o removable plate

By BigBangBack

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am toying with the idea of putting an early 80's Bally in my location (EK, NGS, EBD, HGT, ST to name a few I'd love to have), but I'd only do it if the machine had a bill acceptor. The bar I operate in doesn't have a change machine and the bartenders are too busy to fetch quarters.

Has anyone every retrofitted an older machine to have a bill acceptor? Can I install a newer coin door with a removable plate into an older machine?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

Could it be done? Sure, with enough work. You'd have to wire a 120 volt acceptor up to the service outlet. You'd have to cut a hole in the coin door. The DBA, once set up, just sends pulses that are interpreted as coin drops. Example, insert $1, it sends 4 pulses so the door thinks 4 quarters were dropped.

It's not a 5 minute job, you'd have to hack up a door, and figure out the wiring.

#3 9 years ago

with my (limited) skills, I'd probably wind up frying the whole game

#4 9 years ago

You could install a "side mount" bill acceptor box on the cabinet:

http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_products/coin_doors/40-0448-00

#5 9 years ago

I don't think a modern door has the same dimensions so that's probably out... a box on the side as Ken suggested I think would be the least painful solution...

either that or just buy a change machine and put it next to your machine if you don't want to drill anything

#6 9 years ago

It might be cheaper/easier/less damage or modification to an original game to get a small bill changer and break $1s and $5s into quarters.

Otherwise, go with Kens idea

Wiring a bill acceptor in is not that complex, but the door mounting would be tricky

#7 9 years ago

ya get a changer, we use American changer and they have been good

ebay.com link: american changer model ac300

#8 9 years ago

thanks for all the suggestions guys

#9 9 years ago

+1 for the changer if you can manage it. Dropping coins in a pinball machine, particularly an early solid state, brings you back to the those times. Some crazy hole hacked into your coin door, or a box mounted on the side of the machine, just isn't the same.

Keep in mind those changers hold their value. Sinking $1000 into a decent used one is pretty much money in the bank...

Our bartenders actually hit up the change machine now when they are out of quarters, which helps us keep everyone happy

-Jay

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-bill-acceptor-on-a-coin-door-wo-removable-plate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.