Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3402a (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

My Stern Meteor has an upper flipper. It has a 4500 turn coil. Stern found this coil was breaking drop targets so they added a 1 ohm resistor to cut the power. I'd like to eliminate the resistor and install a weaker coil because the existing setup seems to pull a lot of current.

I seem to recall I can use a 5050 turn coil. Does that sound about right?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_3402a (resized).jpgIMG_3402a (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Why do you think it pulls "a lot" of current?

I doubt the other coil will be weaker enough

#3 5 years ago

Just put a stronger spring and a rustier plunger in there and that should do it.

#4 5 years ago

That's the rustiest plunger I could find. I guess I could let it set outside all winter but I'd like to get it fixed before spring. Seriously, the photo was taken before the rebuild - New plunger, new EOS, new coil sleeve, new spring, etc. The photo was to show the resistor.

Something is causing this game to reset (usually when using the right flipper). I was thinking something was causing a current drain and making it reset. I've replaced the lower coil and the diodes.

If the 5050 coil isn't weak enough, what would you suggest?

Thanks

Bob

#5 5 years ago

The 5050 coil is only a weaker hold, same flip power. You would want something like a 26-600. You could also just gap the EOS switch wider so the power stroke is shorter.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The 5050 coil is only a weaker hold, same flip power. You would want something like a 26-600. You could also just gap the EOS switch wider so the power stroke is shorter.

I agree just gap it wider that's all you need to do (and get rid of the resistor, you don't need it)

You can make the gap ridiculously huge, too, as long as it holds at the end and doesn't chatter.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll try opening the gap. If that don't fix it I'll look for a 26-600.

Thanks

Bob

#8 5 years ago

Either way, having that resistor there shouldn't cause an issue. Every other meteor works fine. If you've replaced all the right flipper diodes then it sounds like you need either some new connectors or a rebuild 5V regulator

#9 5 years ago

For what it is worth, this is what I did to one of my EM games when I rebuilt my flippers. My upper flippers on Air Aces were way too strong after the rebuild. I wired the hold winding in series with the main winding. It provides enough resistance to reduce the strength of the power stroke and allows it to hold like normal. I could have experimented with other coils, but this provided what I thought was a good solution with perfect power and function.

Not sure how this would work on your machine with DC coils.

#10 5 years ago

I just replaced the right flipper diodes. The connectors were all replaced about a year ago. It had a Rottendog driver board (that would reset also). I am now using a Bally driver board with rebuilt 5 volt section.

The problem is it don't reset all the time - twice in the last month. Hopefully the new flipper diodes fix the problem. If they don't I'm out of ideas.

Thanks

Bob

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I just replaced the right flipper diodes

Both right flippers or just lower?

#12 5 years ago

I replaced the coil (with diodes) on the lower flipper . I replaced just the diodes on the upper flipper.

I adjusted the EOS switch on the upper flipper. The flipper barely moves when the switch opens now. But the upper flipper is almost useless now. I got to readjust my readjust.

And people wonder why I hate flippers.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Troxel Repair

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-a-weaker-flipper-coil?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.