• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0836 (resized).jpg
IMG_0835 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I just installed a flipper fidelity system in my no Good Gofers. I followed the instructions exactly (EDIT: no I didn't because I reversed a couple wires, DOHHH!) but when I powered the game on smoke came from a component right above where the the backbox speakers plug into the sound board. I can see the fried component but I don't know the name of it. (See pic of me pointing to it with a screwdriver) I immediately unplugged the game. I then unplugged the backbox speaker harness, subwoofer harness and powered back on. It then blew fuses F502 and F501. Can anyone please help me out as to what happened? Also, where would I be able to purchase the fried part without ordering online? Thanks

IMG_0836 (resized).jpgIMG_0836 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I've came to the conclusion that I plugged the volume control knob in backwards. Not too happy with myself right now... I'm going to order some new fuses and this kit from marco that contains the part i fried (TDA2030A) and a few other parts in case I might need them later.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/WPC-SEMISOUND

Is there anything else I might have to replace?

#3 7 years ago

Here's one more question. If I were to replace the 2 blown fuses (F502 and F501), then switch the backbox blown TDA2030A with the cabinet TDA2030A would I be able to still play the game but just not have any audio being pushed to the subwoofer? (swapping U5 and U6)

IMG_0835 (resized).jpgIMG_0835 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

nevermind.

#5 7 years ago

...and another head scratcher, I took out the 2 blown fuses and they are both 6.3a 250v. However, when I look in the manual it says these 2 fuses should be 2.5a 250v. Can anyone please confirm what amperage fuses are correct for F502 and F501?

#6 7 years ago

Use what's suggested in the manual unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise. It's listed like that in at least two different places so not a simple misprint.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

...and another head scratcher, I took out the 2 blown fuses and they are both 6.3a 250v. However, when I look in the manual it says these 2 fuses should be 2.5a 250v. Can anyone please confirm what amperage fuses are correct for F502 and F501?

Not uncommon for the wrong fuses to be found. Ppl,would just throw in what ever was around.

Do a double check on all fuses and replace as per manual.

#8 7 years ago

So can anyone shed some light on if I should be on the lookout for other parts that might have fried? Or should this be as easy as replacing the fried sound amp and 2 fuses?

...and of course hooking up the speakers correctly this time...

#9 7 years ago

Jake,

Sorry to see you are having issues with your game. Especially, after installing one of my products. Certainly not my goal. In the future, you may want to reach out to me directly instead of me coming across this by accident.

There are so many questions to ask regarding specific details. However, plugging the volume control in backwards should not create the damage going on in your NGG. The damage described and shown in pictures point towards a dead short. That is the only thing I have found to do that. The mis-valued fuses give me the most concern. I know that people put what they have on hand into the games, but they have a value for a reason. We know little about the actual history of the games we possess in our collections. It is possible the amp IC was just tired and gave out under a heavier load. I would replace the amp and see where you are. That is usually all that fails in this rare situation. If you cannot do that yourself, you may send the board to me to do the same.

Before you put it all together, check everything and make sure nothing is shorted. Contact me directly if you have any questions.

Michael
[email protected]

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from michaelp:

If you cannot do that yourself, you may send the board to me to do the same.

Before you put it all together, check everything and make sure nothing is shorted. Contact me directly if you have any questions.

Michael
[email protected]

Now that is what i call customer service.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from michaelp:

Jake,
Sorry to see you are having issues with your game. Especially, after installing one of my products. Certainly not my goal. In the future, you may want to reach out to me directly instead of me coming across this by accident.
There are so many questions to ask regarding specific details. However, plugging the volume control in backwards should not create the damage going on in your NGG. The damage described and shown in pictures point towards a dead short. That is the only thing I have found to do that. The mis-valued fuses give me the most concern. I know that people put what they have on hand into the games, but they have a value for a reason. We know little about the actual history of the games we possess in our collections. It is possible the amp IC was just tired and gave out under a heavier load. I would replace the amp and see where you are. That is usually all that fails in this rare situation. If you cannot do that yourself, you may send the board to me to do the same.
Michael
[email protected]

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your input and the offer for me to send my board to you. I have done repairs in the past to my arcade boards so I can handle replacing the amp IC. I had one delivered overnight and am about to install it.

By no means was my original post meant to blame your products so I hope you didn't take it that way. Admittedly, it was my own fault for plugging in the volume control backwards.

I'll post back soon with my progress.

Thanks!

#12 7 years ago

I replaced the fuses with the correct amperage and replaced the amp IC. Powered on the game and all is well now. WOW, these speakers sound great! The subwoofer is an incredible improvement over the stock woofer. Thank you Flipper Fidelity for a great product! I can definitely see myself upgrading my speakers in TSPP soon.

note to self...quit being dyslexic and quadruple check your wires!!

#13 7 years ago

So what was ultimately the problem? You said you reversed the installation of the volume control knob, but Michael is saying that would not have caused it.

But your game is working correctly..............

So, was this just a case of the old amp just giving up the ghost when under a stronger load (speakers from FF) ?

I want to understand this one for posterity's sake.

Thanks!

#14 7 years ago

I don't believe it was the volume control, but we may never know for sure. It is rare, but occasionally, replacing speakers can be a shock to an older system. I am just glad all is up and running and the end result is favorable.

Merry Christmas.

#15 7 years ago

I'm sure it was just a perfect storm of wrong fuses, an old amp and my mistake of reversing wires. I'm just happy I didn't do any more damage and the game is up and running for the Christmas party.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,800 (OBO)
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installed-flipper-fidelity-now-blowing-fuses-and-fried-something and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.