image-133.jpg
image-214.jpg
image-800.jpg
image-325.jpg
image-238.jpg
image.jpg
20131025_170127.jpg
20131025_170206.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

So I bought this game from a friend and I decide to restore the playfield, but then I looked at the cabinet and it was ok but not perfect. So I decide to restore it and I got to say it did come out pretty nice I say so my self.

20131025_170206.jpg20131025_170206.jpg 20131025_170127.jpg20131025_170127.jpg
#2 10 years ago

I didn't even know there were decals for that. Looks nice, they're always faded and yellowed.

#3 10 years ago

They don't, I just scanned them and redid them in photshop. I was just sick of looking at the fade and yellow in the white color.

#4 10 years ago

That looks wonderful, great job!

#5 10 years ago

Wayne is the master - can take a pile and turn it into a gem.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from wbarcume:

They don't, I just scanned them and redid them in photshop. I was just sick of looking at the fade and yellow in the white color.

What did you use to scan the cab?

#7 10 years ago

I use a roller scanner at 600dpi then I have templates for all the games. Then I use photoshop to put the files together and fix all the colors. I have a local guy that prints them out on vinyl.

#8 10 years ago

Looks good, I wish they would reproduce these.

#9 10 years ago

looks great! really nice job.

4 months later
#10 10 years ago

Any chance you still have that file and can run another batch? If so how much?

#11 10 years ago

Very nice! Can you make one for Hook?

#12 10 years ago

Excellent job.

I'd love some decals for mine.

#13 10 years ago

Very very nice! I never realized that this game was so nice looking because they all get wrecked.

1 month later
#14 10 years ago

Thanks wbarcume for the files. I just finished restoring my simpsons today.image-382.jpgimage-382.jpgimage-847.jpgimage-847.jpgimage-156.jpgimage-156.jpgimage-173.jpgimage-173.jpgimage-133.jpgimage-133.jpgimage-213.jpgimage-213.jpgimage-119.jpgimage-119.jpgimage-214.jpgimage-214.jpgimage-800.jpgimage-800.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-325.jpgimage-325.jpgimage-238.jpgimage-238.jpg

#15 10 years ago

That looks beautiful.

#16 10 years ago

Fantastic work, get yourself a sweet TSPP for a wicked pair.

#17 10 years ago

I would love to add TSPP to my collection but it's expensive

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

Fantastic work, get yourself a sweet TSPP for a wicked pair.

FYI these are older Data East games. Not TSSP...

#19 10 years ago

Looks very nice.

Sharp and crisp just like brand new.

1 week later
#20 10 years ago
Quoted from daniel0265:

Thanks wbarcume for the files. I just finished restoring my Simpsons today.

Your welcome it looks amazing.. am happy that we could bring them back to life.

#21 10 years ago

I would kill to have mine look that nice. Playfield, backglass=excellent. Cabinet=sore thumb. Nice job.

3 weeks later
#22 9 years ago
Quoted from wbarcume:

So I bought this game from a friend and I decide to restore the playfield, but then I looked at the cabinet and it was ok but not perfect. So I decide to restore it and I got to say it did come out pretty nice I say so my self.

I just got my first pinball. It is this Simpsons one that you have. The cabinet is all weathered. Can I get these graphics somewhere or can I buy them off of you?? Please help! Your pinball looks awesome!

20131025_170206.jpg 2.5 MB

20131025_170127.jpg 2.4 MB

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I would kill to have mine look that nice. Playfield, cabinet=excellent. Cabinet=sore thumb. Nice job.

I'd be happy to share the file with you. The guy who made it ask that I pass it along to any other pinsider that would like to restore their cab. If you want I can ask the print shop that printed it for me to make you a copy and they can mail it you. Just PM me and I'll let you know what the cost of the print and mail would be or I can just send you the file and you find someone to print it local.

#24 9 years ago

If you could send me the file---- THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! my brother owns a printing company!

#25 9 years ago

My e-mail is [email protected]

#26 9 years ago

the files are big but if wbarcume still has his google link up ill send it to you. otherwise give me a few days to set up a FTP download site for you on one of my servers.

#27 9 years ago

thanks!

#28 9 years ago

Any chance that I can get a link to the file as well. Would love to print a set out to restore one of these machines.

Thanks
Kris

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from daniel0265:

the files are big but if wbarcume still has his google link up ill send it to you. otherwise give me a few days to set up a FTP download site for you on one of my servers.

Interested as well. I've been hemming an hawing about buying a friend's and this might help me pull the trigger.

#30 9 years ago

pleasure... check your PM the link is there now. also make sure you sand the sides of the cab well and get as much of the dust off as you can. I don't know if you ever done a job like this but the vinyl really doesn't react well to most adhesives so the one that comes with the vinyl is your best bet on a nice CLEAN SMOOTH surface. This was my 3rd project and my 1st pinball project. Thank god I tested the adhesive applications on something else with a spare before I put this one on. If for whatever reason you get creases you can use a hot air gun and put over it really fast a few times and it will smooth it out. Then continue putting the rest on, I wouldn't wait till you are done to do that. The front one was the hardest for me because the hole for the coin box was so big. I found that just putting the whole thing on at one time was the best way instead of doing one side to the other for the front. 2 people would make it better because you can each pull on your side a bit to get the creese out and once one of you has your whole side secure hurry up and use a squeege to get any air bubbles out. The sides are super easy to put on just work one side to the other. Also when you print the back box give yourself some extra slack on the paper. Data east didn't mirror image the sides so on side marge faces forward and the other marge faces back but because of the angle of the back box you need to make sure you have enough vinyl to adjust her position so you don't cut off lisa. I almost got skrewed on that part. I BARELY had enough slack to get lisa to fit. I also suggest you add 1in more to whatever measurments you made because mine was 1/4 in short and I had to do some slow creative lining up with the junk vinyl to cover the rest.

#31 9 years ago

I just sent it to all 3 of you. I hope wbarcum doesn't get mad at me for using the link he sent me. He was the one that did all the work do please send him a thank you PM. all I did was pass on the love.

#32 9 years ago

I hope these files will help all of you... like I say we are bringing back pinball one game at a time.

#33 9 years ago

I just got my yellow rail back last week. I had a local shop sandblast and powder coat it for me for $25. He did an amazing job so of anyone in Los Angeles area needs a job like that PM me and I'll send you his info. He told me normally min order is $50 but he hooked me up. He said if it didn't need the sandblast it would have only been $15!

4 months later
#34 9 years ago
Quoted from wbarcume:

I hope these files will help all of you... like I say we are bringing back pinball one game at a time.

Can You send the files to me too? I'm starting a project with DE Simpsons without cabinet part. TKS.

#35 9 years ago

Me too, I want to restore the game that I bought my son.

#36 9 years ago

My students are restoring this game as a class project. We restored the platfield but cabinet looks like it was left out in the rain. Can you send me the graphics files so our local shop can print for us please. Thanks

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from dizpramim:

Can You send the files to me too? I'm starting a project with DE Simpsons without cabinet part. TKS.

Congratulations to wbarcume (Mr. Wayne) by kindness.
The market for restoration is very cruel to those who are not part of the elite, talking about the economy. Some think it should be anyway, but I think the survival of the hobby comes from diversification. Least because the business began with target on the most humble group, more than 80 years ago.
Here in Brazil there are people who accumulate dozens of machines for the simple pleasure of saying that the have, but probably do not have time to play them. Withdraw them from the market and inflate astronomically maintenance costs.
I am also working on two other restorations of art and I want to publish it here when finished.
Sorry the tone of protest.
Wayne, once again, thank you.
Marcelo

#38 9 years ago

Hello, searching the web I found this forum. I'm Alan of Argentina and I have a Simpsons pinball!
I want to restore. Daniel, wbarcume can send me the links to the images to the cabinet.
Thank you very much.
Alan

#39 9 years ago

I have sent all those who wanted the files a link... I hope it helps all of you. I have been kind of burnt out from fixing pinball for the last 6 months so I have been relaxing, but after seeing you guys restoring your games makes me want to start doing it again. Enjoy

2 months later
#40 9 years ago

Looking for the link or files.

4 weeks later
#42 9 years ago

Also Need the files

1 week later
#43 9 years ago

I must say that there are some people on this site(talking about you wbarcume) that are just out-of-this-world honest and helpful. Truly amazing to see this kind of effort not only in returning something to its former glory, but then turning right around and sharing that information so that others can benefit.

With that being said, I like so many others am in need of a major face lift to the cabinet and back box on my Simpsons pin. If I could get the link to the images you created, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

4 weeks later
#44 9 years ago
Quoted from dizpramim:

Ditto

1 month later
#45 9 years ago

Great restoration. I love the homer plunger! Would you also share the files with me as well please.

1 week later
#46 9 years ago
Quoted from wbarcume:

@wbarcume and others, thank you so much for your work on this to date. I'm a newbie member but have been a fly on the wall of this site for the past year while looking for that first pin of mine. I looked at too many to mention and was getting burned out because of my price point vs. condition. I kept running into total rehabs or semi-projects where one item needed major help. I was ok with a semi-project, but obviously I'd rather rehab a cabinet than a playfield or replace boards and whatnot.

I had a DE Simpsons on my radar but the cabinet in the photos scared me a bit. I then came across this thread and saw that there was not only guidance from fellow members, but a complete solution. It reassured me that the DE Simpsons was the way to go, and got a great working machine. The cabinet is solid but cosmetically far from ideal. Since this is a Simpsons-specific restoration thread, I figured I'd ask everyone here some general questions on their cabinet restorations...

1) At what point did you decide to do this cabinet restoration with the vinyl decals? Was your cabinet completely destroyed, or did you just not like looking at the yellowing/cracking of the white paint?
2) Do you have these printed and cut to the shape of the image, or the shape of the sides of the cabinet? The spray painted cabinet pictures above show it totally white. I didn't know if that was a base layer for good adhesion for an edge-to-edge decal, or if it was the white background for a decal that was cut to the edges of the image.
3) I guess you get two benefits from doing this - cabinet looks AMAZING and also helps protect any exposed wood from long term exposure to fluctuations in humidity. But is this type of solution considered "sacrelig" by purists? I'd have a tough time personally holding a spray paint can up to Homer and covering him up for good... even if for the benefit of the machine. Though I never plan on selling this (hopefully going to son or nephew if I ever had to part with it), does this sort of modification hurt the overall value or help it? It's the famous "original vs. restored" debate, and I don't know how that's weighed in this community yet.
4) How much did you spend on the local printing of your decals?

Thanks to all for feedback!

3 weeks later
#47 9 years ago

Please could someone send me these files?

2 years later
#48 6 years ago

I happened to just buy this model of pinball machine and it has some cosmetic damage on the cabinet. I looked around the internet and can't find anyone selling them. I was wondering if ANYONE would be able to send me the files for the decals. Thank you so much my email is [email protected] wbarcume daniel0265

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from kdgardner9655:

I happened to just buy this model of pinball machine and it has some cosmetic damage on the cabinet. I looked around the internet and can't find anyone selling them. I was wondering if ANYONE would be able to send me the files for the decals. Thank you so much my email is [email protected] wbarcume daniel0265

Retrorefurbs

#50 6 years ago

lordloss I was looking at retrorefurbs.com and I couldn't find the decals. They only had a limited amount and they had no search engine to search for the pinball machine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installed-cabinet-decals-on-my-data-east-simpsons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.