(Topic ID: 120968)

Installation of ColorDMD On Stern Sam System (AC/DC)

By wiggy07

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181108_202010 (resized).jpg
20181108_201404 (resized).jpg
acdc.JPG
dots mode.jpg
high res mode.jpg
back of new dmd.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I installed a ColorDmd on my AC/DC pinball machine. I made a video showing the install also content and how to use the hardware and menu screens on the DMD. Below is the subject matter taken from my web post from Pinball Supernova website. Please view the entry on my site also.

http://www.pinballsupernova.com/stern%20color%20dmd%20install.html

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/installation-of-colordmd-on-stern-sam-system-acdc/

Video:

back of new dmd.jpgback of new dmd.jpg high res mode.jpghigh res mode.jpg dots mode.jpgdots mode.jpg acdc.JPGacdc.JPG
#3 9 years ago

Couple more days for color ?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Couple more days for color ?

I believe this Friday (3-13-2015)

#5 9 years ago

Thanks, very helpful

#6 9 years ago

Thank you, followed the instructions but mine doesn't light up at all, I reviewed the troubleshooting section seems everything is ok but wants me to install the rom again, which isn't until Friday any suggestions would be helpful.

#7 9 years ago

Reload the sigma rom. It is on the website

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Thanks, very helpful

You are very welcome

#9 9 years ago

Thanks, will this install easily on a newer backbox such as IMVE, or does it require additional hardware?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks, will this install easily on a newer backbox such as IMVE, or does it require additional hardware?

I *think* it requires additional hardware for the new metal panels.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks, glad to see the plexi does not have to be swapped. I couldn't remember if the panel plexi was clear or red on ACDC. I'm pretty sure the plexi on STLE is red and will have to be swapped out with a clear one.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Thanks, glad to see the plexi does not have to be swapped. I couldn't remember if the panel plexi was clear or red on ACDC. I'm pretty sure the plexi on STLE is red and will have to be swapped out with a clear one.

Correct

1 month later
#13 8 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

I made a video showing the install also content and how to use the hardware and menu screens on the DMD.

If I purchase the Stern version, does it come with everything I need to install this in Metallica or do I need to purchase the 5volt cable kit as well?
http://shop.colordmd.com/cable-kit-for-sam-whitestar/

Thanks

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 8 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

If I purchase the Stern version, does it come with everything I need to install this in Metallica or do I need to purchase the 5volt cable kit as well?
Thanks

It should come with everything you need as long as you are buying the Stern version.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Thanks

Hank, John_I is correct, if you indicate which DMD you are getting and for what make of Stern pinball machine, all the correct cabling comes with the kit. No other cabling is needed when ordering.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

Hank, John_I is correct, if you indicate which DMD you are getting and for what make of Stern pinball machine, all the correct cabling comes with the kit. No other cabling is needed when ordering.

Thanks to both of you. DMD was ordered on Sunday

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Thanks to both of you. DMD was ordered on Sunday

awesome, you are welcome. good luck with the install. Its pretty easy. you shouldn't have any issues.

3 years later
#18 5 years ago

Installing this tonight. Just watched vid on YouTube. Question: the white ground ribbon running on both sides--just screw through those? Can't really see on the video. Or wrap the wire around screw like subwoofer install?
A little clarification would be great thanks!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Installing this tonight. Just watched vid on YouTube. Question: the white ground ribbon running on both sides--just screw through those? Can't really see on the video. Or wrap the wire around screw like subwoofer install?
A little clarification would be great thanks!

For ACDC with a wood speaker panel, mounting screws go through the ground strap and ColorDMD metal bracket so that the end of the ground straps are in contact with the bracket. Connect one ground strap to either side of the bracket.

#20 5 years ago

HERP DE DERP
THANKS Randyyy!
Just took the panel off and noticed those handy dandy metal eyelets to screw through DOH.
I like to have the answers before I actually start the work, yeah,...that's it lol.
Next dumb question: will I have to reload code once installed?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

HERP DE DERP
THANKS Randyyy!
Just took the panel off and noticed those handy dandy metal eyelets to screw through DOH.
I like to have the answers before I actually start the work, yeah,...that's it lol.
Next dumb question: will I have to reload code once installed?

Normally yes. But that display may have been pre-programmed for easy setup at Expo. So may already have the ACDC code installed.

#22 5 years ago

Just got er in Randy FERCKIN SWEEEET!!
Yep, already programmed too, just plug and play. AWESOME!!
THANKS Randy!!
20181108_201404 (resized).jpg20181108_201404 (resized).jpg

#23 5 years ago

Just outta curiosity....what's the extra ribbon cable that came with it for?
20181108_202010 (resized).jpg20181108_202010 (resized).jpg

#24 5 years ago

Not needed for ACDC. It's for Whitestar installations and connects the Whitestar display board to the ColorDMD.

#25 5 years ago

YER AWESOME RANDY!
Hope to have some beers with ya soon my guy.

1 week later
#26 5 years ago

I never thought I'd be saying I'd be spending this outrageous money but I have to have it.
Esp the LCD non-dots looks awesome.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from pinbuoy:

I never thought I'd be saying I'd be spending this outrageous money but I have to have it.
Esp the LCD non-dots looks awesome.

For me, once I got pass the price when I bought my first one back in 2015, I don't give it another thought. I now have 12 displays. If I want one for a game, I just get it. Adds a lot to every game and makes it feel like a new game to me again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installation-of-colordmd-on-stern-sam-system-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.