(Topic ID: 137952)

Installation instructions for pinbits STTNG shaker!?

By KenEberhardt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_5.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey,

I'm finally going to install my STTNG shaker kit - but can't find the instructions

It is the one with pinbit driver board 2.1 purchased from Bay Area Amusement:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MC-SHAKE-STTNG

Installing shaker and board is no problem - but not sure where to get the 20V and where the purple wire goes?

Anyone that can help?

Thanks,
Ken

#2 8 years ago

The instructions are posted on pinbits website. Go read them there.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks guys - I have been there and this seems to be the instruction for the prototype (e.g. the connectors are different on the sales version). Further, I expected the board revision 2.1 to be "intelligent" as stated in the product description, i.e. I expect the controls to be more advanced than a simple flasher activation that the prototype provides. Hope the purpose of the purple wire is adding some intelligens

#5 8 years ago

No, those are he instructions I used to install mine. I think the purple wire is unused. Read the instructions. The shaker fires only on those flashers which appropriately only are used when fighting the Borg ship or getting extra ball or shooting the Borg ship in battle modes. It's perfect.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks - a bit disappointing that the "intelligence" is uuuummmm... limited - but glad to hear that it is perfect

#7 8 years ago

As markmon stated, the purple wire is not used.

#8 8 years ago

After installation the shaker have performed admirably

Cheers,
Ken

#9 8 years ago

I love the shaker on STTNG. Glad you were able to get it installed.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

Yea it's amazing what reading the instructions will actually accomplish

#11 8 years ago

Well, I did actually read the instructions but judged them as preliminary - it is not a $10 product and I expected them to have pictures of what I have bought and not a prototype with other connectors etc.

#12 8 years ago

Did you use the wire splicers the kit provides? They are kind of easy to mess up, and then they don't make contact at all. There's also a lot of silicon paste or something in splicer for some reason. Really messy.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I noticed the flasher signal never came through. I ended up removing the splicer and solder directly to the flasher wire instead.

The thing is supposed be be intelligent, it counts the flasher signals and it knows kind of in what mode it is, but I wonder if there ever is going to be an 'upgrade' to use the purple wire for something.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from KenEberhardt:

Well, I did actually read the instructions but judged them as preliminary

well this is a bit annoying. The instructions are there and correct but you disregard them?

it is not a $10 product

Irrelevant.

I expected them to have pictures of what I have bought and not a prototype with other connectors etc.

I'm sure the instructions were made with the prototype. Then they're not going to rip it all out of their game and install another one just to make new photos especially when the many photos they have are fine and the instructions are overly detailed.

#14 8 years ago

FreeBee - yes, I was also surprised about the paste, and considered soldering instead of using them. Again instruction are not impressive here either - it is another connector than the one described... However finally I got it right squeezing a lot and paste all over the place.
I dont expect they will improve the firmware and use the orange wire - guess when its too much work to update a simple html page with instructions, adding new functionality is not gonna happen.
BTW I still have a red connector of some kind in the box - not described either, and quite confusing...

Thanks a lot for all the help here at pinside to "make it so"

Special thanks to markmon making it clear the instruction are indeed to be used - even though I dont have a clue why you keep on defending lousy instruction and indicating that we are all stupid...

#15 8 years ago

So I don't think anyone here is stupid.

But when instructions are posted, the least one can do is read them. When I installed mine, I found the instructions to be overly detailed and quite good. Also, just because a wire exists (for future projects) and can be useful the future doesn't mean it should be implemented. The shaker is perfect as it is.

The sttng shaker is a decent shaker for other projects as well. I used one in my pirates, for example.

2 months later
#16 8 years ago

Okay, I just purchased one from another member and want to confirm a few things... I guess count me in the "stupid" category - I found the instructions a bit cryptic. If I had written them, I would have used more pictures and less words... So, here are some pics and questions. Maybe this will help the next guys.

Here's what I got:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I've placed the shaker and board in front as follows:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Grounded black wire at lower left of back box, where the speakers are grounded:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Now I've located the flasher "I think" they're referring to in their "instructions"... Is this correct? Are these the correct wires and placement points? Then, I'm assuming I open up the plastic connectors and essentially place each wire in the open channel in each - and then squeeze shut?

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Well followed this setup - and everything worked for about half a game... Then, no red light signal on board, so assuming it's not getting power. Figuring the tap connectors could be the issue, I went to a Radio Shack and picked up brand new ones - similar to others - but still nothing. I then stripped/spliced wires - to give a direct connection. Still nothing.

Now I'm thinking its a power issue related to the harness wiring or board.

Btw, flasher fuse is working (as is flasher).

Any thoughts? Any way to test harness and board with a multimeter? any other thoughts.

Thanks.

#18 8 years ago

Nice pictures
Have you check that you have absolutely solid connection from flasher to the board? Seems like you should have, but only thing I can think of - and initially I had similar issues. I used the multimeter with one connector on the board and one on the flasher and found my issue that way - touching the wires by the flasher stopped continuity sometimes and I had to rework the connector...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installation-instructions-for-pinbits-sttng-shaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.