(Topic ID: 184556)

Install your own fibre optics - kit form

By TimeBandit

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

In the process of developing Total Lightshow for Tron, I had to come up with a system for mounting the optic fibres that I could make myself, but also had a high quality connection in terms of lastability and light transmission. I think some people may be interested in installing fibre optics in places in their games, and so I am going to offer my system that I am using in Tron as a stand alone kit to allow ad hoc fibre optic installation.

You simply have to bring 6v and ground to the RGB inputs of the distribution board. Any controlled lamp or GI socket will do. You could easily hook up any ramp to flash with a flashing insert that was active at that ramp, for example. I am getting it ready for shipping so still have to figure out exactly what to put in the box, but it should be up on my website next week sometime.

Here is a video of how it works.

#2 7 years ago

Looks like a nice kit. How long do you estimate it would take someone to install in their machine, once available for sale? (& will it be easy for a novice to install?)

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Looks like a nice kit. How long do you estimate it would take someone to install in their machine, once available for sale? (& will it be easy for a novice to install?)

The more involved part of the procedure will be putting your fibres in place where you need them. Depending on the final use, there will be many and varied ways of putting optic fibres in the game. This kit is all about getting the power to the LEDs and the LEDs mounted to the fibre. It will be very easy to install these parts as they just require a few screws and plug the cables in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/install-your-own-fibre-optics-kit-form and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.