(Topic ID: 140502)

Install of new auto launch coil blowing power board fuse?

By adam12hicks

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.png
    IMG_4009.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I figured if I wired it backwards that maybe the thing would just fire in reverse, but I'm not sure what's going on. Old coil was feeling a little weak, was original coil 15 years old or so. Ordered a new one from Marco and installed it. Didn't expect any drama but the fuse blew on the power board. 250v 3a. Replaced it and decided to reverse the wiring on the coil (although I don't see that causing a short that would blow a fuse. In my mind it would just cause the coil to work in reverse?) blew the fuse again. Figured I had a bad coil so I pulled it and replaced with original. Blew the fuse. What the cuss?

With the wires off the coil every other coil on the fuse works fine. With either coil wired in they immediately blow the fuse. Any quick ideas on what bonehead thing I did to cause this?

There's just a small header wire and 2 wire harness headed to this could, which I suspect is working fine. I am going to test voltage on that coil wire next but I suspect it too will be fine.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

As a side note - I checked voltage on the wires going to this coil and they're at 70+ DCV all the time? Is that normal? Sorry if it's a terrible newbie question but my assumption is that power would be sent to activate this coil whenever it is triggered vs all of the time?

Reading through the manual trying to figure it out...

#3 8 years ago

70V sounds right for the available voltage. It'll drop when it goes through the coil. Can you tell us what game it is. Also can you tell if the coil is locking on before the fuse blows? A picture of the two coils will help as well.

#4 8 years ago

What game ? Diode on coil ?

There is no reverse on those coils, they only pull in one direction. Not like a DC motor.

LTG : )™

#5 8 years ago

If the coil has a diode and it was wired in backwards you would create a short, blow the fuse and possibly destroy the diode. So at this point I would replace the diode (test the coil while the diode is off) and make sure you get it wired in properly.

#6 8 years ago

To add to the above:

If it blows the fuse the second you apply power to the machine, the Mosfet or drive transistor to that coil is also blown.

If it doesn't blow the fuse until the time the coil is supposed to energize, then you got lucky and only the diode across the coil is shorted.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

If it blows the fuse the second you apply power to the machine, the Mosfet or drive transistor to that coil is also blown.

Excellent point. If everything that has failed is not replaced at the same time, one thing will just keep blowing another.

#8 8 years ago

CactusJack, you are exactly right. Thanks for all of your assistance. I definitely blew transistor Q3 (Stern RCT machine) and the fuse. I replaced the diode though the old one tested fine.

I learned that the high voltage 50v line (yellow and violet in this case) connects to the side of the coil with the 'line' on the diode, and reconnected it. Installed a new transistor on the power board (not fun), new fuse and re-connected the coil only to have it do the exact thing again.

I did not use the exact NTE2987 transistor that the good man at Stern told me to use, as Mouser didn't have them. They gave me an equivalent with all of the same specs. I'm wondering if that's why it didn't work, or if there could be some sort of short in the coil now since this happened?

SO I guess I will order another new coil, since they're not too expensive, and some actual NTE2987s from Marco.

These lessons aren't fun to learn, but I guess I get a little smarter with every one.

Thanks again everyone - you are all spot on with what ended up happening.

Oh - and let me post a picture of why I was confused on the connection... hang a minute

#9 8 years ago

Notice on the replacement coil, the 1 and 2 labels which look like they correspond to the two posts on the coil. The left side (1) says +50vdc. But the sticker is upside down, as the line on the diode is on the right side in this image, so the other post would get the +50. As a newbie learning this stuff, the sticker appeared to diagram out exactly where I should place the hot wire. But we see where that got me!

Not blaming anyone but myself, but at least want you guys to see how the mistake was made. Adam

IMG_4009.JPGIMG_4009.JPG

#10 8 years ago

Wow! NO. Don't blame yourself. Blame the seller of the coil with that label on it.

The main mistake is the direction they showed the diode (which would also make the diode placement wrong). However, if you want the label to match the physical placement of the diode on the coil, then they need to move the word "BAND" as well as the +50VDC to the other side.

I can't think of a single instance where you would wire a coil according to that drawing as the + power, when placed at the #1 terminal will pass directly through the diode and NOT the coil. Which is what took out your Mosfet and would normally also take out the diode.

So, A diagram designed to help merely results in further damage to a game. I hope there aren't too many out there. Make sure you let the seller know about it. They owe you a MOSFET and the tech time to change it out.

#11 8 years ago

As a final note, coils don't wear out and become weak. So your whole exercise was futile. Coils either work or not. You instead should take apart, clean all the mechanical mechs and replace the coil sleeve.

#12 8 years ago

Thank you guys! I am still fighting with this thing. Even wiring it correctly now still blows the transistor. But I'm not getting the proper resistance reading on the coil now, so I'm wondering if the whole incident caused a short somewhere in the coil? It's maddening.

Your explanations really help. As well as the assurance I'm not totally nuts.

#13 8 years ago

Replaced the transistor, new diode and fuse. Blew the transistor again, even though it was definitely connected correctly with the yellow / purple +50VDC connected to the lead shares by the banded side of the diode.

I'm wondering if the transistors I got from mouser are correct. They didn't have the exact brand / part number that stern recommended so they sent and equivalent.

I have the exact transistors and a new coil with diode on order from Marco. Will try again on Wednesday

The center trace on the board for the transistor has lifted and is looking rough. I'm hoping it can be salvaged.

#14 8 years ago

You need to probably replace both the transistor and the coil together. Wiring your coil backwards blew the transistor. The blown transistor blew out the coil.

#15 8 years ago

Ok. That makes sense. I guess I couldn't conceptualize a blown coil, as it's just a wrapped wire. I checked the resistance of the coil and it matched the spec.

But that being said, I have both a new coil (with diode) and proper model transistor on the way from Marco. If it doesn't work I might be out $400 for a power board. That'll be a bad day.

Thanks again for the help!

#16 8 years ago

What part number did mouser sell you.

#17 8 years ago

A blown coil is a "wrapped wire" that gets so hot it shorts together.

#18 8 years ago

Understood. Let me see if I can find the part number Mouser sold... The receipt is somewhere around here :-/

#19 8 years ago

image.pngimage.png

This is the part number that matches what is written on the transistors they sold me, although the ones I got are all plastic, without the metal 'blade' on top. Which is annoying as you can't quickly test for a short the way you can on all of the others.

#20 8 years ago

As an FYI, that coil came from Marco Specialties. I've recently gotten a few other parts from them that haven't been correct (with some really weird issues.)

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from adam12hicks:

As an FYI, that coil came from Marco Specialties. I've recently gotten a few other parts from them that haven't been correct (with some really weird issues.)

If you haven't already, I would let them know and hopefully others can avoid this issue.

#22 8 years ago

Definitely. Will call them on Monday.

#23 8 years ago

I know it is difficult to cross a substitute (all NTE parts are substitutes) with another sub. But not sure if what Mouser crossed it to is a good sub. I glanced at the data sheet and I am not sure if that is actually a "Logic" level Mosfet. But then it would not turn on, not short out? So, not sure why the MOSFET keeps shorting out unless you powered it up against a shorted diode (which you indicate was a brand new replacement), or you are "Zapping" it with poor static handling practices.

Regardless, IRL540PBF for years on Stern boards to replace STP20N10L and the 22NE part also (complete part number escapes me).

#24 8 years ago

Ok thanks for that input. I believe the transistor to be good when installed but blowing upon first activation of the coil. I'm thinking maybe the coil is bad from the initial transistor blow. I test the diodes before installing and know they are good.

I've ordered the NTE models recommended by the Stern tech, so I'll get one installed along with a new coil and can't imagine why it would not work from there.

I'm worried about the board though. Some of the traces are having a rough time on the board. It doesn't have many solders left on this transister spot. :-/

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from adam12hicks:

I'm worried about the board though. Some of the traces are having a rough time on the board. It doesn't have many solders left on this transister spot. :-/

You can cheat then and cut off the old transistor and solder the new one to the legs of the old one. Sort of a hack but if you're worried about the traces at least they won't get worse this way

#26 8 years ago

Yeah I thought about that. I bought some sockets to solder in a smaller transistor slot on the switch matrix for the same reason. Trying to diagnose that nasty issue has caused me to burn through 6 of them. Literally.

#27 8 years ago

Marco customer service has been exceedingly friendly and helpful. They are fixing these labels that are incorrect marked and priority overnighted new transistors and coils to me. So I should have everything today and hopefully get it all soldered up and back in commission.

My Great Lakes Opto seems to have fixed my Opto problem, so I'm ALMOST at a perfect, 100% working machine with some nice mods.

#28 8 years ago

FINALLY. All good. Put the new coil in and it was super weak... then it went into full activation and blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse but it wouldn't work at all. Think it was a bum transistor or shady solder job by me. Replaced the coil transistor on the power board with a new one from Marco, and soldered it more carefully, and the box is working like a champ now! Even sorted out the long broken opto problem, so I have a 100% working machine at long last. And I've learned a LOT in the last month or so - considering when I bought the pin for $400 I had never taken the glass off of one, or knew it had circuit boards behind the translite

Thanks all for the assistance! I owe you a beer or whiskey if you're ever in Dallas.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/install-of-new-auto-launch-coil-blowing-power-board-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.