Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Skypilot
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-07-25_12.06.45.jpg
    IMG_20141218_195050.jpg
    IMG_20141213_215353.jpg
    IMG_6111.JPG
    IMG_6109.JPG
    IMG_6108.JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG
    IMG_6106.JPG
    IMG_6105.JPG
    razor blade.jpg
    IMG_6099.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago

I'd like to see video of the cutting decal process.

#13 9 years ago

Also, do you take any measures to prevent the decal from peeling/curling up?

#37 9 years ago

I'm still working up the courage to redo one of these cabs. For me, the most daunting thing is actually the disconnecting of the millions of connectors in the back box and lowering the harness down into the cab and removing the pf. The actual restoration part doesn't spook me too much.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

May I add,Tack off the cabinet and both sides of the decal . Small spedks of dirt,grit will leave bumps under the decal.

"Tack off the decal".. what's this mean? I'm assuming wiping with tack cloth?

What exactly is "tack" cloth anyway?

#49 9 years ago

I've seen many videos without a coin door filler. DOn't you just lay in and then cut the coin door area out with an exacto?

#53 9 years ago

It's completely doable without a filler. In fact I've never seen one used. Then again, I'm no expert here. haha.

#80 9 years ago

Cool video.

Want to see the trimming videos next.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

Looking to do my first cabinet decal job this year.
    Question...
    Typically do you usually apply the front, (coin door) decal 1st, then the side decals?

Good question.

I believe yes, coin door first. That way the sides would line up better.

#90 9 years ago

There is a good youtube video regarding a taxi cab restoration done by gameroom collectibles. They showed the breakdown of removing the head, the coin door, side rails and miscellaneous hardware.

I found the video helpful in working up the courage to do this. The breakdown part is my fear, more than the laying of the decals etc. I have this fear of not getting things back together again, even with a ton of pics. I know it's irrational...

#96 9 years ago

SO the harder you press, the better.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I have found that the decals will only stick if the surface is prepared correctly and the thing that really makes them stick is time . Decals that have been on for many months will be adhered much better than ones that are only days old no matter how hard you press.

So in preparing the surface correctly, what's the most important part? The type of paint? Isn't that the last thing that goes on prior to the decaling?

Or are you talking about tack cloth rubdown, etc.?

I mean, besides the sanding, puttying, priming and painting, what is good preparation for decals to stick?

#110 9 years ago

So probably sanding with a really fine grit after painting but right before applying the decals is a must.

#112 9 years ago

I also wonder about adding some sort of glue or something to the edges prior to placing decals on, to avoid peeling. Maybe a dab of wood glue here and there, then wiped off right after laying decals?

I don't know. I'd HATE to take the time to do all this and have those things peel up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/install-decals-dry-video-this-is-how-i-do-them?tu=blackbeard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.